Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Poker Face is good but I don’t know that it’s going to survive peacock moving everything behind a paywall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's already been renewed for a second season so there's that at least.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

That doesn't mean much these days.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The Real Housewives of Miami on Peacock is having a stellar season. Alexia, the ex-wife of a cocaine dealer, and also an ex-wife of a gay man who died while loving the guy he was cheating on her with, is showing what an awful person she is this season. Larsa Pippen, ex-wife of Chicago Bull Scottie Pippen is dealing with their divorce, and starting to date Michael Jordan's son. Dr. Nicole is showing up these older gals, has been hilariously petty, and proving to be the new queen of the franchise. Julia, former Miss USSR, and her wife tennis legend Martina Navratilova, are feeling the empty nest after Julia's kids have gone off to school, are working through having an open relationship while also looking to adopt a baby.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Deadite posted:

Poker Face is good but I don’t know that it’s going to survive peacock moving everything behind a paywall

I love Natasha Lyonne but when I realized it was a procedural murder of the week like Psych and Monk and haha look a joke about Burn Notice (we will do more product placement than them though haha) I was a little disappointed. The promos didn't make that clear.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

wizardofloneliness posted:

That doesn't mean much these days.

it's yet to be seen if Peacock follows the Netflix example of immediately greenlighting a second season then quickly canceling the show if less than half of earth binges it on week 1.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I love Natasha Lyonne but when I realized it was a procedural murder of the week like Psych and Monk and haha look a joke about Burn Notice (we will do more product placement than them though haha) I was a little disappointed. The promos didn't make that clear.

Yeah I don't want to say it's bad but the whole kind of "hey guys you're a killer right!? that isn't cool!" kind of format is kind of wearing on me lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Speaking of product placement. I don't normally mind but the PP in the last season of Dead to Me was borderline offensive with how much it was.

"Here please hold this Heineken bottle from the bottom half centimeter so that we can make sure the entire frosty visage is visible!"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BonoMan posted:

Speaking of product placement. I don't normally mind but the PP in the last season of Dead to Me was borderline offensive with how much it was.

"Here please hold this Heineken bottle from the bottom half centimeter so that we can make sure the entire frosty visage is visible!"

The product placement in itself doesn't bother me. More that two booze hounds like those two characters would be drinking Heineken at all. They would likely want something that tasted better and had a higher alcohol content.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

mcmagic posted:

Yeah I don't want to say it's bad but the whole kind of "hey guys you're a killer right!? that isn't cool!" kind of format is kind of wearing on me lol

It is a show that is better if you spread it out. It is a fun to watch an episode like every 2 weeks.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hope subway artisan is ok?!?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BonoMan posted:

They had urine in Dead to Me?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Pokerface girl runs into way too many murders. They could have her solve a non murder case here and there.

I did miss shows like this with episodic stories and guest character actors, really makes me wanna watch justified

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Just started Full Swing and really like it.

I love golf and I love the Drive to Survive ... formula... so I'm all in.

Only downside is knowing the results of all these tournaments but it's still fun to watch.

I've been watching another similar Netflix series about tennis called Break Point that's really good so far. My favorite bits are a couple of scenes at the French Open with Nadal and his next victim (he's lost there 3 times total in his career, basically unbeatable). There's a waiting area immediately before taking the court, watching Nadal's clearly nervous opponents just try to ignore him while he eyes them like a shark and runs around and tries to psych them out in those 30 seconds they're trapped together in that small space is amazing, the man is terrifying!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Upsidads posted:

I hope subway artisan is ok?!?

His TikToks will live on.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Starks posted:

Pokerface girl runs into way too many murders. They could have her solve a non murder case here and there.

Yes! I'd find the investigation of a theft or righting some other wrong much more interesting than murder. It would suit the tone of the show better as well.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
They need to bring back MAGA dog and solve crimes together.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I watched Twins this morning. gently caress I miss the world pre internet. also was really cool to see LA in the 80s and how different it looked

I put on frances ha and its good but it has adam driver in it, yuck. stop putting him in stuff

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

A MIRACLE posted:

I watched Twins this morning. gently caress I miss the world pre internet. also was really cool to see LA in the 80s and how different it looked

I put on frances ha and its good but it has adam driver in it, yuck. stop putting him in stuff

Oh man I haven't watched Twins in years. I should fix that this weekend.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I watched Twins a couple weeks ago and it still holds up pretty well. Young Arnold just has so much presence, it's impossible not to like him.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was honestly pretty bummed the sequel with Eddie Murphy never materialized

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

"Oh, you mean the four million dollars?" is such a great joke that I didn't get until I saw Twins as an adult.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Tokelau All Star posted:

"Oh, you mean the four million dollars?" is such a great joke that I didn't get until I saw Twins as an adult.

It's DeVito's delivery that does it. "FWOOOR MIL-YUNN DOLL-ARZ" no one else on earth would come up with that read. It's like Hardy's Bane.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

frances ha is cool. its like a jarmusch movie. maybe i'm only saying that because its in black and white but it also reminds me of permanent vacation a bit

really taps into that 2010s east coast hipster thing, but that was also just how people who wanted to be authentic or whatever actually behaved and talked. I would know

frances herself doesnt' read as a hipster to me, she's just an idiot with hipster friends

its pretty funny

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

A MIRACLE posted:

frances ha is cool. its like a jarmusch movie. maybe i'm only saying that because its in black and white but it also reminds me of permanent vacation a bit

really taps into that 2010s east coast hipster thing, but that was also just how people who wanted to be authentic or whatever actually behaved and talked. I would know

frances herself doesnt' read as a hipster to me, she's just an idiot with hipster friends

its pretty funny

Never put this together until now, but Noah Baumbauch is just mainstream Jim Jarmusch.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

its pretty funny

That ending with Modern Love kicking in and Frances looking at her best friend, chef's kiss right there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dancing seems to be the most spirit breaking art form there is

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
how are See and Servant? Both seem interesting, but from what I've glimpsed over during their mentions in threads is after 2-3 seasons the shows just became terrible, for whatever reasons (showrunnners leaving?).

J don't wanna jump in 4 seasons deep to get Lost'd

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I love the parts of See where Momoa murders everyone but you can probably just watch those parts on YouTube.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Cat fight is on Netflix again watch that instead of apple tv

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Hirez posted:

how are See and Servant? Both seem interesting, but from what I've glimpsed over during their mentions in threads is after 2-3 seasons the shows just became terrible, for whatever reasons (showrunnners leaving?).

J don't wanna jump in 4 seasons deep to get Lost'd

See has some really interesting world building, but is really loving stupid, and bad guys win all the time against all odds only so that there can be some sort of plot. I stopped at the end of season 1, felt I got my fill of it.

Servant at the very least has Lauren Ambrose really chewing the scenery, so if you're a Lauren Ambrose fan, you're set. But it's not particularly scary, they change up the reality of the situation so many times you forget what's actually going on, and the story barely moves forward at all. I started watching season 3 and I was like, this is just the same poo poo over and over.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Noah Baumbauch is definitely my personal gitmo. And they say white culture isn't real

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

White culture is taking your golden doodle on a hike so you don’t feel guilty about a margarita n Harry Potter movie hbo marathon with your besties!!

I’m at a hotel and American dad is on cable and it’s literally too sped up to watch

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 18, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So the latest episode of Poker Face was the best one since the pilot but they also pulled a few punches.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The BBQ one was pretty great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was just rewatching Elysium and tbh this movie is the poo poo and I don’t know why it has such a mediocre reputation.

I guess a lot of people thought it was heavy handed but I don’t get why that is a bad tbh it feels even more plausible now than it did in 2013

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The guy that made district 9 made it so it set the bar ridiculously high for me personally. It was fine and all but district 9 is legit one of the best sci fi movies in the last 20 years

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually like Elysium better than District 9 but they are both good.

I mean Elysium a little cheesy but it’s a good kind of cheesy imo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Was just rewatching Elysium and tbh this movie is the poo poo and I don’t know why it has such a mediocre reputation.

I guess a lot of people thought it was heavy handed but I don’t get why that is a bad tbh it feels even more plausible now than it did in 2013

It’s dope and ultimately tells us that the poor really will ruin everything

Seriously though it has great performances, great effects, and tells an interesting story. I really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I actually like Elysium better than District 9

say what now?