Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Another draft, another kind of mixed result

https://www.17lands.com/draft/b5efce1a5da749ed8489bd3476ea51a4

Taking Melira first was a mix of a raredraft and a "she HAS a great body if I end up in those colors" thing, if I wanted to be optimal, I probably would have taken the Hexgold Slash here. Overall, white was completely open all the way through - a nice change of pace compared to previous drafts where what was open in P1 dried up completely in P2+3 - and I was able to settle into green as a secondary easily with the Spinoderm open being a clear push into that direction. Of course, Selesnya is actually the poison combination, but I barely got any Toxic cards for some reason - they just weren't in the packs, or someone else was in fact drafting that exact deck, leaving me generally good but asynergistic cards in my colors. However, I ended with a nice oil subtheme in unlikely colors, and a nice splash for one of the strongest cards in the set. I could have gotten a second one even, dunno if I should have.

There was a bit of a flirt with WR equipment I had, but I would have had to commit harder earlier. I think I made the right choices just based on card quality.

I'm usually a big fan of playing 16 lands, but I've noticed in this format that stumbling on a land is something you really don't want to happen, and being able to double-spell the two- and three-drops you are taking just because that's a very good idea is also great. So I've upped my land counts accordingly.

(btw I realize there's still a bit of a poison sub-thing in the deck, but it's really bad. I cannot afford to cut the Gliders though, I need 2-drops to block stuff! And maybe a mite or three are at some point enough to make Corrupted happen)

It's 2-0 so far because I was able to curve out like a motherfucker each time. And I was on the play. As it tends to happen, eh, be that and win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kashuno posted:

I think you should play Immobilizer over Chimney Rabble as it'll do more to keep you in the game and triggers your chimeras and synthesizer. I'd find space for the Reservoir here; you can put oil on almost every permanent in your deck and free oil every turn will be big game if you get to the later part of the game, which the raptors are good at.

That's a good shout tbh, rabble is in there because '2 bodies for 1 card' but it's otherwise a little eh WRT the rest of the deck.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Copperline Gorge makes Gruul Vehicles feel 10000x better to play. Being able to run Werewolf Packleader in your 2 CMC slots instead of scooze is a huge upgrade.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Seems like no matter what deck I play I inevitably get brought down to like 3 health while the opponent is at 18+, then I bring it back and end up winning. It’s like that “call an ambulance!… but not for me 🔫” meme

I’m chalking it up to the inexperience of both myself, and my opponents

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

That's a good shout tbh, rabble is in there because '2 bodies for 1 card' but it's otherwise a little eh WRT the rest of the deck.

Rabble is just a good card even if it doesn't really synergise with anything, I would cut Bring the Ending and Prophetic Prism instead (for Immobilizer and Reservoir as suggested); maybe that makes Retrofitter a bit dubious as well, you could consider Scamp. Also I wouldn't play that many taplands, at most 2 between expanse and furnace

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

App13 posted:

Seems like no matter what deck I play I inevitably get brought down to like 3 health while the opponent is at 18+, then I bring it back and end up winning. It’s like that “call an ambulance!… but not for me 🔫” meme

I’m chalking it up to the inexperience of both myself, and my opponents
It's called stabilising.

There's a point in most games of aggro or midrange vs control at which the control player can stabilise, either by wiping the board then 1:1 removing anything else that gets cast, or by putting down a creature the attacking player can't profitably attack into - the trick with aggro is getting them dead before they get there, the trick with midrange is going over or around the blockers/recovering from the wipe and winning anyway, the trick with control is getting to that stabilising point.

It's often if not always a card advantage game - card advantage is how you win, aggro generates it by dumping all its cards fast and winning before the opponent brings their slower card advantage to bear, control generates it in the inverse manner.

Look out for those inflection points when you're playing, and see what it is that causes them, how much you and your opponents have in hand when they happen, etc. it's a good way to learn.

E: yeah how many taplands is too many was the other big question.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 17, 2023

App13
Dec 31, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

It's called stabilising.

There's a point in most games of aggro or midrange vs control at which the control player can stabilise, either by wiping the board then 1:1 removing anything else that gets cast, or by putting down a creature the attacking player can't profitably attack into - the trick with aggro is getting them dead before they get there, the trick with midrange is going over or around the blockers/recovering from the wipe and winning anyway, the trick with control is getting to that stabilising point.

It's often if not always a card advantage game - card advantage is how you win, aggro generates it by dumping all its cards fast and winning before the opponent brings their slower card advantage to bear, control generates it in the inverse manner.

Look out for those inflection points when you're playing, and see what it is that causes them, how much you and your opponents have in hand when they happen, etc. it's a good way to learn.

E: yeah how many taplands is too many was the other big question.

I think the turning point in the last match was when I put down some 7/7 behemoth and then attached an artifact that gave it flying and +1/1 or something similar.

Also thank you for that great, easy to follow comment. It was super informative

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

thespaceinvader posted:

Chimney Rabble is currently the 2nd best performing common in the set on 17lands, 2 bodies for 1 card is real good in this format.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

ive been playing this bo1 uw control standard deck i saw crokeyz use/build and its so loving stupid. im like 10-0 and every concession i can tell opp wants to loving die

Deck
4 Syncopate (DAR) 67
4 Plains (ONE) 272
4 March of Otherworldly Light (NEO) 28
4 Island (ONE) 273
4 Silver Scrutiny (DMU) 65
4 White Sun's Twilight (ONE) 38
4 Union of the Third Path (BRO) 31
4 Depopulate (SNC) 10
3 Memory Deluge (MID) 62
2 Devious Cover-Up (GRN) 35
4 Mindsplice Apparatus (ONE) 63
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
1 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
4 Deserted Beach (MID) 260
4 Adarkar Wastes (DMU) 243
2 Field of Ruin (THB) 242
2 Raffine's Tower (SNC) 254
1 Spara's Headquarters (SNC) 257
4 Seachrome Coast (ONE) 258

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I initially came up with this deck and wasn't sure if Lurrus was still legal in Pioneer, so I ended up doing it in historic which isn't too stunk-up with Alchemy cards these days, I'm finding. I think I might be on to something, but I need to complete a sideboard and try best of three. Would be keen to know if there's anything folks think I should swap in ? I originally had Runeforge Champion as a one of (because that's how many I had and wasn't ready to burn wildcards on the deck yet) plus one each of the white and blue runes, but made the switch to more Staggering Insight and Lurrus as Companion. Rune of Might is comfortably the most useful Rune for trample, whilst I get get flying and lifelink without the card draw/cycle option on other auras.

I'm not getting much milage from Lurrus actually, so maybe I should explore rune-based stuff again and make it Pioneer-legal.

Edit: Also please ignore that this is actually Bant Pants.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Honestly if you're doing any Runes at all swapping for the full package would seem sensible - some source of -1 cost plus Runeforge Champion. The Rotpriest combo deck seems to live or die off as many cards that target your poo poo and catrip as possible and being able to do that for 0 seems like it would absolutely rip.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

after some testing....................

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

40 lbs to freedom posted:

after some testing....................

Stick in whichever of the new lands it is that can tap to make a mite - probably over Foundry, since it's less vulnerable to removal.

CGB ran this a little while ago and it looked absoutely abominable. But like, in the way control players like.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

For the Artisan events, I have been making a game of not using the obvious color. So this time I made a deck with no green with whatever I had plus whatever I could craft with uncommon or rare wildcards. It turned out to be a lot of fun, so here it is.

Deck
1 In the Trenches (BRO) 8
11 Mountain (BRO) 275
1 Wedding Announcement (VOW) 45
1 Adeline, Resplendent Cathar (MID) 1
1 Cathar Commando (MID) 10
1 Sungold Sentinel (MID) 37
1 Guardian of New Benalia (DMU) 19
1 Intrepid Adversary (MID) 25
1 Halo Fountain (SNC) 15
1 Crawling Chorus (ONE) 8
1 Scuttling Butler (SNC) 244
1 Giant Cindermaw (BRO) 136
11 Plains (BRO) 269
1 Unstoppable Ogre (NEO) 169
1 Radha's Firebrand (DMU) 141
1 Riveteers Requisitioner (SNC) 121
1 Roc Hunter (BRO) 150
1 Voltaic Visionary (VOW) 183
1 Brutal Cathar (MID) 7
1 Sundown Pass (VOW) 266
1 Battlefield Forge (BRO) 257
1 Risona, Asari Commander (NEO) 233
1 Hopeful Initiate (VOW) 20
1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben (VOW) 38
1 Valiant Veteran (DMU) 38
1 Siege Veteran (BRO) 25
1 Myrel, Shield of Argive (BRO) 18
1 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
1 Kessig Wolfrider (VOW) 165
1 Goro-Goro, Disciple of Ryusei (NEO) 145
1 Ogre-Head Helm (NEO) 155
1 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
1 Urabrask's Forge (ONE) 153
1 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
1 Squee, Dubious Monarch (DMU) 146
1 Phoenix Chick (DMU) 140
1 Sticky Fingers (SNC) 124
1 Bitter Reunion (BRO) 127
1 Goldhound (SNC) 108
1 Monastery Swiftspear (BRO) 144

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol gently caress this lovely format and salt the earth, fire all its designers

2-3, although i suppose i shouldn't count the last game as relevant, after losing to a kaito loop i couldn't break with my small creatures i just went into the next game and walked into the most obvious attack trick because i was tilted

even with what should look like a highly aggressive deck I found myself constantly on the back foot even on the play, maybe i play a duelist but then they play a kuldotha cackler and suddenly i have no attacks lol

16-24 (40%)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 18, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

"Mixed results" went 7-1 lol

Turns out you don't need synergy when you have a banger curve and high individual card quality. My only loss was to a UR spells matter deck that just had a whole lot of fliers and card draw and tap removal. I drew only small fry for too long, couldn't get past Serum-Core Chimera, and they won in the air + had a Forge. It was really cool seeing that kind of deck work! Still feel like a better draw from me would have been unbeatable for them...

My absolute favorite match, perhaps my favorite since I started Arena, was with this deck. I somehow got matched with Mythic #233, and they were very...deliberate, but also had a great deck. I managed to beat their Kaito and Immobilizer! Just look at this board:

Kaito died to a surprise second flier thanks to Skitterfang, actually the MVP - for both of us. Lifelink kept me in the game as they aggressively tapped my stuff to swing with 4/4s, and I was stuck with the red splash in hand.

Then, play of the game:
- Dune Mover to get the mountain
- immediately draw it with Sphereland
- play mountain, go
- kill their retrofitter end step with Slash
- untap, play Ravager to kill the two 2/1s (one of which used to be a 4/4)

And they conceded. What a match

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
went 3-3, 1-3 and 0-3 in quick draft; I'm going to post the 0-3 deck because I know I completely hosed it but I don't know *how* I could have not hosed it

https://www.17lands.com/deck/1f42eaaf483b4335b78a4e57b460c2e9

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha just had a fun standard match against a weird deck I don't know or some weird homebrew. Which is great because I'm playing a janky deck of my own. Basically gutted my budget selesnya tokens deck from last meta, threw in some new ONE white token cards I had pulled and some other tokeny stuff to replace citizen synergies.

This guy was playing blue/white so I feared either soldiers or counters. Instead this guy basically had draw cards and planeswalkers, the only 2 creatures I saw were some consider draw creature and terisian mind breaker.

He played 4 depopulated on me, wiping my board every time. Fortunately I had the new white exile spell for both planeswalkers he played and I had an early skrelvs give plus another one out and won with toxic mite and human token damage. Myrial Argive and King Darien are my favourite swaps from the citizen bonus ladies I had before.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ElNarez posted:

went 3-3, 1-3 and 0-3 in quick draft; I'm going to post the 0-3 deck because I know I completely hosed it but I don't know *how* I could have not hosed it

https://www.17lands.com/deck/1f42eaaf483b4335b78a4e57b460c2e9

after seeing blue sun's twilight right out the gate i think angling toward blue white artifacts would have been the right way to go. you had a lot of cheap artifact creatures open, two mandible justicars immediately and lots of eyes of malcator and incisor gliders later that would have put you on a stable foundation whether you decided commit to it or branch out later

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Sealed draft 2: I somehow managed to get 6 packs of garbage. Not enough oil. Not enough toxic. Not enough equipment. Not enough removal. Not enough artifacts. A bunch of middling rares. No good uncommons.

I am expecting an 0-2.

Edit: okay, I got one point from a guy shame scooping so hard after playing Eternal Wanderer and then picking the wrong creatures the first game that he conceded the second game as well.

wolfman101 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 18, 2023

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, first trophy of the set and it's 7-0. Turns out all you need is being passed Kaya and White Sun's.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i could use some standard deck design advice. i'm having a blast in mythic with this deck, but i've got a bunch of one off cards that i want to consolidate into the actual best options available:

the goal of the deck is simple and very effective: play jadar on turn 2 and then use Transmogrant's Crown or Braids, Arisen Nightmare on turn 3 to turn the endless zombies into endless cards and extra damage. cult conscripts are good for baiting the other player into trading fodder and making my removal more effective, and they allow me to stabilize quickly in the midgame after board wipes. sheoldred and invoke despair to finish, because i'm in mono black

the rest of the non-control cards in my deck are all contributing something valuable, but none of them are unanimously good. on the chopping block are:
-tenacious underdog has a great stat line and the blitz effect synergizes well with the core combo (braids is allowed to fling it before the end step sacrifice takes place!), but 4 mana is very expensive for a reusable card and i find this deck is best with maximum aggression immediately
-vraan is a recent addition and works amazingly with jadar apart from the fact that the card draw combos are obviously more valuable
-graveyard trespasser is a top tier card and covers against a lot of archetypes this deck struggles against (aggro, blue control, reanimate), but it's not synergizing direclty with anything my deck is doing, especially because my graveyard usually stays empty apart from cult conscripts i want to hold onto
-phyrexian obliterator doesn't add much value except against the decks that it completely wins against on its own, which is the main reason i haven't spent a wildcard to replace it with another sheoldred yet
-march of wretched sorrow's heal effect saves me occasionally, but there's very few cards my deck wants to part with even with all the card draw apart from cult conscript and cut down, so i don't have much to fuel it properly

any thoughts or recommendations for other cards i might have overlooked?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I give up on the Golgari deck. It's been a constant backslide down Mythic ranks, and nothing I've tried sticks, and I don't have the backstop of a tier boundary to catch me and let me experiment and lose a dozen games.

Don't get me wrong, Toxic is still fun, and poison counters make people do REALLY STUPID THINGS that I love exploiting and turning into undeserved wins. But maybe there's a card in whatever set that comes next that will really pull Golgari together.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I have lost way too many games this format to Thrun :(

E: 3 wins, I think i punted the last one by clicking through to attackers too quickly and failing to do Serum Core Chimera, but I think they could have blocked differently to still live anyway, I'm not sure I want to go back and check.

Thrun is an absolutely awful card. Just straight up outrace this or lose. HOw many non-rare cards are there in the set that even block it without dying?

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 18, 2023

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I started drafting back in BRO, which went fairly well, but I've been doing much worse in this set. I think I've drafted a decent green/white deck this time, but I've not tried it out yet. I'd be very grateful if anybody could point out where I've been going wrong drafting, and anything I could do to make the deck better.

Draft:
https://www.17lands.com/user/latest_draft/13305f0cb42f4aec80ae81648f77c974

Tentative deck:
https://www.17lands.com/user/latest_deck/13305f0cb42f4aec80ae81648f77c974

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jo Joestar posted:

I started drafting back in BRO, which went fairly well, but I've been doing much worse in this set. I think I've drafted a decent green/white deck this time, but I've not tried it out yet. I'd be very grateful if anybody could point out where I've been going wrong drafting, and anything I could do to make the deck better.

Draft:

Tentative deck:

You're winning with Poison here, drop anything that's not directly enabling that IMO. So, probably at least one Sinew Dancer, the Apostle of Invasion, the Incisor Glider, and add back in Tyrranax Atrocity, Venomous Brutaliser, and either Titanic Groth or Maze's Mantle.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Jo Joestar posted:

Draft:

Tentative deck:

This imo:

https://sealeddeck.tech/D6ynnwI9BA

Add the toxic top end because they're good however you get the kill, and keep the low cost corrupted cards because you will be turning them on early.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

any thoughts or recommendations for other cards i might have overlooked?

I had a lot of success with Phyrexian Fleshgorgers and Undying Malice (comes back as 8/6, just watch for exile from flipped Kumanos). Okiba Reckoner Raid is non-rare and effective. Gix can be good as a one- or two-of for more card advantage. Another Throat or Cut Down can just replace the March if it’s been clunky and maybe effectively save life by casting earlier.

Otherwise the answer is just more Trespasser Invoke Sheoldred.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7N_0wUZRns

Speed of the Format
The first three turns of the format are important because of the snowballing mechanics. Hazardous Blast cracking open board stalls once there’s 12 power on the board is something you have to consider. Interacting with oil synergy pieces like Rustvine Cultivator might actually be worth it early because making a highly linear deck stumble could be worth it (delaying Ravager a turn, for example). Same with Toxic, keeping Corrupted off (or even keeping at zero poison because of proliferate) in turns 1-3 with removal could be worth it, especially on the draw and you have to be more reactive. Even aggro decks might want to block more early, because if the opponent can get their engines going, that could stop your pressure. This also means that you might want to attack more even when you’re on the back foot, as long as you can still block and not die. Sphere taplands are a meaningful roadblock, play one at most, you are basically spending all your mana through turn 5.

Combat Math
This is a format that rewards thinking about combat math multiple turns ahead, because of all the cards that grow in P/T, and so what looks like a stable board can quickly run away for one side.

Week 2 Meta Shifts
RG is going to start getting overdrafted once the Limited Resources people talk about it. Pro Tour drafters 3-0ing with UB decks signal that those colors are not hopeless. R commons still remain the best, so if you open a pack with trash rares/uncommons, Furnace Strider or Chimney Rabble could easily be the correct pick.

Deckbuilding: The U Curve
Especially in RG, the 3 drop slot is the dorkiest and you will end up having a bunch of 1-2 drops and maybe even more 4-5 drops than you have 3-drops. Toughness value of 3 is a sign of a good 3-drop to block the early pressure. Once you have survived the early snowball threat, drawing into good expensive cards will be better than drawing into 2/2s.

Archetypes discussion
RG: Oil synergies have turned out to be less important than Hazardous Blast (which is less effective in RW), stack power on the board and use Blast as a killing blow. Cankerbloom, Lattice-Blade Mantis and Chimney Rabble as key commons. Oil-Gorger Troll is canceled (it doesn’t line up well against lategame creatures). Play a second Furnace Strider over a first Oil-Gorger Troll.

WG: The “toxic-heavy” G cards like Plague Nurse, Branchblight Stalker, and Tyrranax Atrocity are bad, so don’t think of trying to hit for 10 poison, you are just as likely to win with 20 damage. The deck’s synergy is with the “If that creature has toxic” cards (Slaughter Signer, Flensing Raptor, Porcelain Zealot, Compleat Devotion).

BW: This is the “Snowball” deck. Get Corrupted early. Play the 1 and 2 drop B toxic creatures to enable. You want 10-11 cheap Toxic creatures. Once RG gets overdrafted, it will be easier to hit critical mass with this deck.

RW: Straightforward aggro, play the good cards. Bladehold War-Whip is really good on curve, because opponents often can’t attack into a 2/2 double striker. Vulshok Splitter and Mirran Bardiche’s stocks are rising, they help grind games out. You need 8-9 “For Mirrodin!” cards for the “artifacts matter” cards (Oxidda Finisher, Gleeful Demolition, or Against All Odds) to be any good.

UW: The best blue deck, you can hoover up all the artifacts people don’t want. If you see a Cephalod Sentry or Unctus’s Retrofitter pick 5 or 6, that might be a signal to move in. Alex hates Eye of Malcator! Playable but because it doesn’t block it is a bit “win more” and you will hate this being your 3-drop on the draw. Even in this deck, maybe 2 max. Quiz time: What do you think is the #1 common in the UW deck according to 17Lands? Maze Skullbomb lmao. Play any cantripping 1 mana artifact for this deck, in drafts you can feast in the second half of packs.

RB: Charforger and Anoint with Affliction splashed into a mono-red deck basically. Testament Bearer and Cruel Grimnarch are long-game cards.

UG: Discussing the Sam Black podcast where UG was the “block all day” deck. However, this collapses to Hazardous Blast. UG needs rare or mythic bombs to actually kill before it gets Blasted. Maybe the Sylvok Battle-Chair at lower rarities. But basically avoid getting into this unless you open a bomb and the other colors are cut (this can splash off-color bombs more easily). Your 2-drops should trade off (speed bumps like Branchblight Stalker and Malcator’s Watcher) and your 3-drops (Gitaxian Raptor) are there for the long haul. You should also splash for removal.

UB: Even though this is currently the lowest in 17Lands, Alex argues this is somewhat an artificial slump, and at high Mythic Alex has lost to this more than he would have expected. The good UB decks are “Poison Burn” decks, toxic + proliferate (Prologue to Phyresis is playable). Basically every card should have Toxic, “gets a poison counter,” or proliferate. Experimental Augury is the “small snowball” card, Vivisurgeon’s Insight is the “big snowball” card (consider it Shock + Treasure Cruise). Sheoldred’s Headcleaver is worse than it looks even though it fits the gameplan (the Oil-Gorger Troll problem), a playable but not critical.

UR: This will probably be the actual worst color pair in the set in the long run lol. If you get stuck here, try to mono-color one of these and make sure you’re in that color’s gameplan, and splash the other color’s cards that are relevant.

BG: This deck deserves more of a discussion on its own, because the deck has a “one weird trick” that’s not Toxic, so next week lol. One tip, don’t jam the B Toxic 2-drops (Blightbelly Rat, Pestilent Syphoner) where they don’t fulfill a specific niche (like BW wants Corrupted).

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

It's official, I'm too good at brawl to be allowed to play brawl for fun. All my decks end up in the hellqueue. I suppose I should take this as a compliment, but now I can't just make a deck. I have to test it a bunch, use EDHrec, google what everyone else is using for a specific commander, I can't play decks below a certain power level...

its just a pain, I wan to make fun but bad decks that I can use to do quests with, and have like, a shot at winning. All my opponents are Atraxa, Sheoldred, Esika, Rusko, Golos, Elesh Norn etc.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 18, 2023

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Decided to cash in my Play-in Points to do the qualifier and got maybe the worst sealed deck I've ever had. My rares are bad and look like this:

Usually no problemo, you can make a great sealed deck off uncommons and premium commons. Except, I'm not sure I have any good decks there either. Not a single color can even fill half a deck, and like 3 of them are purely support. And while I do have some tools for a multicolor pile like 2x expanse, Vorrac, cultivator - I literally only have TWO removal spells in my entire sealed pool, a Ruthless Predation and an Annex Sentry. I don't mean GOOD removal, I mean removal full stop. Surgical Skullbombs? None. Molten Blast or whatever the 4R one is called? Nada. The white 6 mana exile? Nope. Just a Ruthless Predation and a creature that can be removed. At least those two are good, but I have very little confidence playing a slow grindy power-pile on the back of just those...

Guess I'm gonna have to see if I can get a brew going somehow.

E: Like I kind of want to just say gently caress it and brew around the All Will Be One except I don't even have that much oil stuff.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Final result: 1-2 as expected. Final loss was quite close!

Will admit after that trainwreck of a pool, going second in all 3 games on top was slightly tilting lol

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

A Moose posted:

It's official, I'm too good at brawl to be allowed to play brawl for fun. All my decks end up in the hellqueue. I suppose I should take this as a compliment, but now I can't just make a deck. I have to test it a bunch, use EDHrec, google what everyone else is using for a specific commander, I can't play decks below a certain power level...

its just a pain, I wan to make fun but bad decks that I can use to do quests with, and have like, a shot at winning. All my opponents are Atraxa, Sheoldred, Esika, Rusko, Golos, Elesh Norn etc.

build for theme, not power is how i did it. My Baird deck which is probably my most successful and fun is mostly just 'jam everything with the word 'soldier' in it alongside some key pieces of removal, stat boosting, and card draw, then cut until it's 60. It's fun, and it's competitive in the queues it hits but it stays well clear of hell queue.

Actually this set didn't have a WUBRG commander, did it? I think that's the first set since I started playing without one.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Finally got around to finishing this one. Free from Flesh was clutch many times. Thanks again for taking the time.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Hell yeah, congrats!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

build for theme, not power is how i did it. My Baird deck which is probably my most successful and fun is mostly just 'jam everything with the word 'soldier' in it alongside some key pieces of removal, stat boosting, and card draw, then cut until it's 60. It's fun, and it's competitive in the queues it hits but it stays well clear of hell queue.

Actually this set didn't have a WUBRG commander, did it? I think that's the first set since I started playing without one.

We got a 4-color one, which is mostly the same thing. its just missing red, but none of the 5-color goodstuff decks play red anyway.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I mean halana and alena definitely fatures in Jodah.

E: Argentum Masticore is meaner than I'd noticed in this format, because it can blow up For Mirrodin! tokens with lands...

E: BONK 7/2 https://www.17lands.com/deck/bc6cb49524c7495a85e3ade712a8e107

I was super disheartened after losing to Atraxa into losing to Vindicator (again what a fuckin ridiculous cardliterally nothing in red can touch it) but I managed to pull it back with a long sequence of basically just good uncommon aggro starts, including one very satisfying one which went turn 1 Fuseling, turn 2 tapland, turn 3 sprinter put counters on fuseling, repeat until dead. Sprinter also won win 7 with haste into an opponent who had to kill Sawblade Scamp and find at least one creature to not just die to my board, and did so but I drew haste. Dang that's satisfying, but I'm still not sure I actually LIKE the set. I'm doing way better with it than I have any previous set by quite some margin (i.e. I'm in positive winrate which has only happened in one previous set I think, and have two trophies before the end of week 2) but I also have just found it super demoralising to be like... on the play against aggro having mulled to 6 and still nto found any plays before turn 3. And some of the bombs are Just Silly, may as well just pack it up right there.

My deck had, in principle, an answer to Vindicator (Find and play Masticore, discard a 5 drop to it but I don't think when it came down I could have done it in time, but my opponent could just leave it back and chill if they wanted to, which they did until they found a 1-turn win, even though they would have trivially won the ace by swinging) but literally no answer to Atraxa. And the set has a really high number of things like that, it feels; Thrun, Vindicator, Obliterator, Atraxa, Spinoderm, Tyrannax, all of the Dominusses, Norn (and most of the Praetors in general), Archfiend, many if not most of the Planeswalkers, etc etc etc.

It feels super bad to build a good deck that is good at playing fair magic and have your opponent just jam down 'gently caress you you have no way to interact with this i win' after casting durdly chaff for 6 turns.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 19, 2023

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Is Rusko still rampant? I stopped playing H-Brawl for a bit because it was inescapable.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think the patch bumped him up to the top tier deck queue in hbrawl but i've only played a handful of games since ONE dropped, mostly because theatrhythm leanded on switch and it's eating all my playtime. i get the impression everyone swapped to the new atraxa and the new elesh norn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

flatluigi posted:

i think the patch bumped him up to the top tier deck queue in hbrawl but i've only played a handful of games since ONE dropped, mostly because theatrhythm leanded on switch and it's eating all my playtime. i get the impression everyone swapped to the new atraxa and the new elesh norn

Yep. Rusko is pretty much confined to hell queue, but the matchmaker may still give you a Rusko opponent if there isn’t a comparable opponent in the queue. And because I like playing Rusko I’ve still been playing him in hell queue and he is on the lower end of the power spectrum there.

Tyvar elves has been a lot of fun, and Ratadrabik got a lot fun legends to play with. I am getting sick of Atraxa as they will get matched up with everyone.