Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Zotix posted:

Is the Win 11 search just straight dog sh*t for anyone else? I hit the windows key to search and it'll pause for 2-3 seconds. It's like it's trying to search the internet before even populating local results first. This is originally on a machine with a 3900x processor, and now on a machine with a 5800x3d processor. I tried disabling Win 11 internet search results, which worked until the computer rebooted.

It used to be this bad I wanna say, but it has gotten much better. Some questions: are you on the 22H2 build of Win 11? Are you fully updated via Windows update? Do you have all essential drivers up to date (chipset, GPU, audio, etc.) for your particular motherboard? What is your idle CPU usage in Windows, is it high? How about RAM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Zotix posted:

Is the Win 11 search just straight dog sh*t for anyone else? I hit the windows key to search and it'll pause for 2-3 seconds. It's like it's trying to search the internet before even populating local results first. This is originally on a machine with a 3900x processor, and now on a machine with a 5800x3d processor. I tried disabling Win 11 internet search results, which worked until the computer rebooted.

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2023/01/17/no-start-menu-for-you/

In short the cortana/internet search takes too long to crash so there is a slowdown. Nuking Cortana with powershell is basically the only Windows tweak i do.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

MikusR posted:

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2023/01/17/no-start-menu-for-you/

In short the cortana/internet search takes too long to crash so there is a slowdown. Nuking Cortana with powershell is basically the only Windows tweak i do.

MS is way too busy removing features to fix such stuff like, 'marquee feature of OS causing major issues'.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Zotix posted:

Set up PowerToys and use PowerRun instead.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

MS is way too busy removing features to fix such stuff like, 'marquee feature of OS causing major issues'.

If I had to guess how this happened, from working in big tech:

Team Responsible for Start Menu: Huh, the Cortana calls are failing all the time and causing slowdown. I asked the Cortana oncall and they said it's just some bug that should be fixed by release, so we're just going to not worry about it - let's adjust our alerting so it doesn't bother us.

Team Responsible for Cortana API: Hey oncall person, did you get any escalations today?

Oncall: Uh...I think so? I dunno, I forgot to write it down, I don't think it was important.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Pvt. Parts posted:

It used to be this bad I wanna say, but it has gotten much better. Some questions: are you on the 22H2 build of Win 11? Are you fully updated via Windows update? Do you have all essential drivers up to date (chipset, GPU, audio, etc.) for your particular motherboard? What is your idle CPU usage in Windows, is it high? How about RAM?

It used to actually work in Windows 7. It's tedious that basic functionality never gets the love it needs

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe just don’t search with Google? Use DuckDuckGo, Chatgpt and university library’s search. I’ve done that for a year and don’t miss google at all.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
In windows 10 the start menu search could also be dogshit due to bing / web search. To turn off all web results you need to follow these instructions. The thing that Rinkles pointed to is just the extra "suggestions" (aka ads).

This is your periodic reminder that Windows is now a freemium product.

Ihmemies posted:

Maybe just don’t search with Google? Use DuckDuckGo, Chatgpt and university library’s search. I’ve done that for a year and don’t miss google at all.

DuckDuckGo / Bing is definitely better at a lot of searches now, particularly anything that's getting stuffed by robo-content on google (basic PC technical questions, recipes).

lol at using chatGPT though

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I noticed that Win 11 start menu poo poo immediately because I sometimes run a specific computer disconnected from the network to do virus checking and whatnot. When you yank the internet out, the menu just wont search and find anything and sometimes it will not even trigger. I can't remember if I decided to try and fix it but my main workstation got back-graded to Win 10.

edit: https://github.com/srwi/EverythingToolbar

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 17, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
They really couldn't make freshly unzipped files open in a new Explorer tab, could they?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I got a couple monitors that are freesync, one of them is 165hz the other is 144hz. Gsync (so, freesync over DP really) is turned on on one of them, not the other yet cuz I gotta get another dp cable. GPU is a 4090 drivers are all updated.

But on both, when I run some programs the display gets all flickery. It's hard to explain, and I don't think I could capture it on video but just.... flickery.
If I move it from one window to the other, the window it moves to becomes flickery and the other one stops being flickery.

The programs that do this specifically that I've noticed are anything run in Windows Subsystem for Android and also Calibre.

Is this a known thing? Is there a solution?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
One of my computers finally got offered the 22H2 update. Is there any way to not make the notifications panel take up the whole vertical space if there's not enough notifications to fill that space? Also, the drat thing switched my keyboard from US to UK, which made trying to program fun for about 5 minutes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BrainDance posted:

I got a couple monitors that are freesync, one of them is 165hz the other is 144hz. Gsync (so, freesync over DP really) is turned on on one of them, not the other yet cuz I gotta get another dp cable. GPU is a 4090 drivers are all updated.

But on both, when I run some programs the display gets all flickery. It's hard to explain, and I don't think I could capture it on video but just.... flickery.
If I move it from one window to the other, the window it moves to becomes flickery and the other one stops being flickery.

The programs that do this specifically that I've noticed are anything run in Windows Subsystem for Android and also Calibre.

Is this a known thing? Is there a solution?

Turn off the VRR option in the windows setting if it's on.

I've seen windows do some really screwy things when this is enabled, so it's best to just leave it off.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Turn off the VRR option in the windows setting if it's on.

I've seen windows do some really screwy things when this is enabled, so it's best to just leave it off.

Thanks! This does actually seem to fix it (except for one thing in WSA, when I scroll in the app I'm using, youtube music, the whole screen does a "shudder" type thing but not when it's just sitting there, and calibre doesn't do it anymore so I'm gonna chalk that up to WSA being newish and buggy)
And gsync seems to still be enabled in the nvidia control panel so I take it disabling that didn't disable gsync or anything as a whole? I'm just asking because, that seems so weird, I didn't even know that VRR option existed, and why does Windows even have a VRR option if the nvidia driver handles it by itself? And I assume the AMD driver does as well.

What is even happening with the Windows built in VRR thing if you have gsync? You cant have double VRR that makes no sense.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Klyith posted:

In windows 10 the start menu search could also be dogshit due to bing / web search. To turn off all web results you need to follow these instructions. The thing that Rinkles pointed to is just the extra "suggestions" (aka ads).

This is your periodic reminder that Windows is now a freemium product.

DuckDuckGo / Bing is definitely better at a lot of searches now, particularly anything that's getting stuffed by robo-content on google (basic PC technical questions, recipes).

lol at using chatGPT though

DDG has been good to me for a few months. I rarely need to search anything in another engine like I did when I tried Bing last year.

Google is straight up ruined now. I forgot to switch engines on my laptop so when I was searching for stuff I was getting entire results pages full of AI generated nonsense.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BrainDance posted:

Thanks! This does actually seem to fix it (except for one thing in WSA, when I scroll in the app I'm using, youtube music, the whole screen does a "shudder" type thing but not when it's just sitting there, and calibre doesn't do it anymore so I'm gonna chalk that up to WSA being newish and buggy)
And gsync seems to still be enabled in the nvidia control panel so I take it disabling that didn't disable gsync or anything as a whole? I'm just asking because, that seems so weird, I didn't even know that VRR option existed, and why does Windows even have a VRR option if the nvidia driver handles it by itself? And I assume the AMD driver does as well.

What is even happening with the Windows built in VRR thing if you have gsync? You cant have double VRR that makes no sense.

I'm not entirely sure what it's doing, but I've never seen that option do anything positive, that's for sure. I think it enables support for windowed games that might not normally be covered by g-sync/freesync, but all I've ever seen it do in practice is break normal windows apps. I've encountered the kind of flickering you saw, but I also got random signal drops when moving certain windows around while that option was enabled. Whatever it's doing, it seems extremely broken.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Microsoft :argh:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i took another stab at setting up a CUDA dev environment with Win 11/VS code/Ubuntu WSL2 on a new work laptop
WSL works a lot better than the last time i tried it out - CUDA was pre-setup and i managed to get a pytorch work repo up and running

VS code is slick enough with WSL that I'll try it out over my preferred pycharm

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Snipping Tool now records video :woop:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...to-the-taskbar/

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm really curious if I'd choose to use this over either LICEcap or just the Game Recorder on the desktop. This is the closest to a real feature Win11 has though, so I guess that's a step.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I’ve never really done screen recording before (just use ShareX for static screenshots), but I’m wanting to record some game videos for personal reviewing of tactics/mistakes. I dl’d OBS and have it set up to record the specific gaming monitor correctly (I’ve recorded a couple of tests and they worked out).

I know absolutely nothing about video formats/recording/editing but am willing to learn. Are there any good (free) resources to explain things like, well, formats/recording tricks/editing/etc along with tools to use? I’m sure I could fake my way through a DuckDuckGo infodump, but I also know there are folks here that do this kind of thing for a living and have RL experience using the tools available. Any advice for a n00b to point the way would be appreciated and followed!

I’m only going to be using these as recording everything on a single monitor for personal review afterwards, so no need for streaming or camera-adjacent stuff. I also hope to catch audio only from the game itself, so audio mixing or microphone tips aren’t necessary either. Stuff like programs, best file-format-vs-filesize or things I’m not even aware of (like recording one then converting to a more compact format). I mainly need to record an entire 2K display with (at the very least) 720p output so I can review the game text/UI stuff on a 1080p second monitor afterwards, hopefully without filling up my SSD in one day 😬.

This is (obviously) strictly in the Windows 11 ecosystem. I can offer my computer specs if needed, as so far my test videos (.mp4 1080p) are pretty large and I don’t know enough to know if I’m doing it wrong at all!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm really curious if I'd choose to use this over either LICEcap or just the Game Recorder on the desktop. This is the closest to a real feature Win11 has though, so I guess that's a step.

I don’t give a poo poo about game recordings so I’ve mainly been using PowerPoint to capture desktop stuff so I don’t have to install anything new. This is a great feature.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lice in my PC sounds bad.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DerekSmartymans posted:

I’ve never really done screen recording before (just use ShareX for static screenshots), but I’m wanting to record some game videos for personal reviewing of tactics/mistakes. I dl’d OBS and have it set up to record the specific gaming monitor correctly (I’ve recorded a couple of tests and they worked out).

I know absolutely nothing about video formats/recording/editing but am willing to learn. Are there any good (free) resources to explain things like, well, formats/recording tricks/editing/etc along with tools to use? I’m sure I could fake my way through a DuckDuckGo infodump, but I also know there are folks here that do this kind of thing for a living and have RL experience using the tools available. Any advice for a n00b to point the way would be appreciated and followed!

I’m only going to be using these as recording everything on a single monitor for personal review afterwards, so no need for streaming or camera-adjacent stuff. I also hope to catch audio only from the game itself, so audio mixing or microphone tips aren’t necessary either. Stuff like programs, best file-format-vs-filesize or things I’m not even aware of (like recording one then converting to a more compact format). I mainly need to record an entire 2K display with (at the very least) 720p output so I can review the game text/UI stuff on a 1080p second monitor afterwards, hopefully without filling up my SSD in one day 😬.

This is (obviously) strictly in the Windows 11 ecosystem. I can offer my computer specs if needed, as so far my test videos (.mp4 1080p) are pretty large and I don’t know enough to know if I’m doing it wrong at all!

I do this as well. Your use case will inform a lot of what decisions you should be making, but I can give you a couple examples:

You can use Game DVR (which is part of the Xbox Game Bar, which is just part of Windows) to retroactively capture up to 10 minutes of footage. The idea here is that if you are playing a game with clearly defined chunks you want to capture for review (e.g. A Fighting Game set, or an attempt at a Raid Boss), you can just hit the 'capture' hotkey AFTER the set / attempt / whatever, and it'll just write the last X minutes to disk. I prefer this a fair bit as it doesn't immediate eat up disk space like nuts, and you have a more reasonable way of cutting up, or just deleting clips you don't want any more. this is basically nVidia's Shadowplay feature without the pre-req of having having to use the cancer that is nVidia's Software and it also seems more performant - it's built right into Windows.

The other common option is what you were already doing - Capturing with OBS. You get the benefit of capturing EVERYTHING, but sorting through it after the fact can be challenging, and it's always writing to disk.

For the purpose you describe, formats really don't matter that much, and your options are somewhat limited anyway. You are going to be forced to choose something that can keep up in real time, so fancy compression isn't really on the table.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 28, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Some of the answers depends on your hardware and which games, but in general:

File formats are not as much the question as is codecs. You'll generally end up with MP4 or MKV files regardless of what, but those can contain video in one of many codecs, and that determines what kind of encoding efficiency you can get. The main codec contenders today are H.264 (AVC), H.265, and AV1. H.264 is quite old by now, but has a big advantage in direct hardware support, every half-decent GPU on the market has hardware-accelerated encoding for the format, while that may not be possible for other codecs. H.265 and AV1 have much less hardware support, and use quite a lot of processing power for encoding, so I don't think they may be good choices for realtime recording at this point.

There are generally two parameters you can tune relating to video quality: Bitrate, and how much processing power you put into it.
The bitrate is simply how much space 1 second of video takes up, you see numbers like "10 Mbit/s video", that means one second takes up 10 megabits, and since there are 8 bits to a byte that means it's about 1.2~1.3 MB/s for the video.
How much processing power you put in is usually exposed as a setting going from "veryslow" to "veryfast" or similar. The more processing time you allow the codec to put into encoding each picture, the better quality it can squeeze out of the same amount of storage space, up to a limit. Often, the gains going from the medium to the slower settings are very minor and difficult to tell apart, but may matter if you were to do a lot of editing afterwards.

On the other hand, if you configure your recording software (OBS) to use GPU-accelerated video encoding, often you may not get a setting for the quality, only for the bitrate. The general opinion I hear is that GPU-accelerated encoding tends to range on the lower end of the spectrum of quality-for-bitrate, but sometimes it may be the better choice.
The best way to improve quality is almost always to increase the bitrate.

The choice between CPU-based encoding (in OBS via libx264) or GPU-based encoding (e.g. NVENC for NVidia cards) depends on your hardware and your game. If you have say 8 or 12 CPU cores, but your game can only take advantage of 3 or 4 of them, them you may as well go with CPU-based encoding, since you get more flexibility with that. On the other hand, if your CPU is maybe just 4 cores, but the game isn't heavy load on your GPU either, then GPU-based encoding may be a better choice.
The secret third option is to use a second PC to do the recording via an HDMI capture card.

OBS is a fine tool for recording screen video for almost all use cases, even if you have no use for all the advanced screen layout things it can do.
One thing you can consider is getting a plugin for OBS that lets you put a keyboard input overlay on. That way you review what keys you were pressing at the time afterwards too.

You don't really talk about what you want in editing. If it's just cutting out short sections to separate videos, you can use simple tools to do that, but if you want to do things like enlarge certain areas of the screen it gets more complex, but mostly anything could do for that too. None of the open source video editors I've tried have been a good experience. However, while I haven't tried it myself, I hear DaVinci Resolve is supposed to be pretty good and for personal use I think there is a free license.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DerekSmartymans posted:

Rather than do the whole set-up of OBS, I would point to the video recording functions that come with your GPU. For personal use that's all you care about. If you have an AMD card they're integrated directly into the drivers. If Nvidia, you need to install geforce experience.

These are much simpler to use, and require little setup to do fast & efficient capture. They'll use the hardware acceleration built into your GPU for video compression automatically and default to the best format supported by your GPU.

They also have the ability to do the trick where they're constantly recording to a buffer, and save the recent time via a hotkey. So instead of dumping 20 gigs of video to disk, you can just dump the last 2 minutes or whatever every time you die.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Thanks, guys…I didn’t even know what a codec was, besides knowing I used to have to download them to play DVDs on my desktop 🫤. I’ll probably look into the GeForce “replay” type stuff so I’m not recording travel/downtime in game. Also the keyboard overlay sounds awesome for reviewing my decisions afterwards!

I have an i7 10700F and a 3070, along with 64GB of RAM and 1.3TB of mixed M.2 and 2.5” SSD storage available (honestly with about 14TB in older blank, formatted SATA 3.5” HDDs and two SATA>USB adapters in a closet…I’m the family’s “tech dump”). I appreciate the help and knowledge!
:science::pcgaming:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

"Codec" is literally just a contraction of "coder/decoder", so just "a way to store information in a different way", and in the context of video/audio most often talks about a lossy encoding, i.e. one that gets smaller size by discarding some data determined to be not necessary to have the decoded data of "good enough quality".

With your specs probably any setup should work. For the keyboard overlay I think you pretty much need to use OBS (I don't know if other recorders can do it/have plugins for it too), but the good news is that more recent versions of OBS also do have replay buffer functionality. In the end, you will need to experiment with what works the best for you, and gives you enough quality for what you want to do with it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
New W11 user here:

Is there a way to make my right click show up the old context menu by default or am I stuck with this goofy regression they’re insisting on?

Also is there a better way to disable the desktop web search results other than a reg edit? It seems to have gotten it most times but it still shows me dumb stuff I wasn’t looking for occasionally.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

am I stuck with this goofy regression they’re insisting on?

We just got a new one, but I'm quite fond of putting this thread title in the back pocket

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

There's an easy regedit to bring back the old right click context menu
https://pureinfotech.com/bring-back-classic-context-menu-windows-11/

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

buglord posted:

New W11 user here:

Is there a way to make my right click show up the old context menu by default or am I stuck with this goofy regression they’re insisting on?

Not sure but the quick way to get around it is shift + right click for the full menu and yeah they need to give us the option back.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Might also just be worth checking out StartAllBack since I think it can be pretty granular on what you do/don't enable and it's only 2 bucks for a license.

Baba Oh Really posted:

Not sure but the quick way to get around it is shift + right click for the full menu and yeah they need to give us the option back.

Wait seriously? It's that easy? I'm shocked it wasn't tucked away somewhere weirder or totally disabled. Neat.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

nielsm posted:

"Codec" is literally just a contraction of "coder/decoder", so just "a way to store information in a different way", and in the context of video/audio most often talks about a lossy encoding, i.e. one that gets smaller size by discarding some data determined to be not necessary to have the decoded data of "good enough quality".

With your specs probably any setup should work. For the keyboard overlay I think you pretty much need to use OBS (I don't know if other recorders can do it/have plugins for it too), but the good news is that more recent versions of OBS also do have replay buffer functionality. In the end, you will need to experiment with what works the best for you, and gives you enough quality for what you want to do with it.

Gotcha…I’m counting down the minutes until I fix supper for my 99 yr old Granny so I can actually get upstairs and on my computer to test this stuff out. Good to know about OBS’s new-ish buffer ability, too, since I already made those “babby’s first tests” with OBS. I already figured out locking it to the entirety of my gaming monitor last night. I sorta get the codec thing, analogy to me is .bmp>.jpg for getting static images’ size down for posting in an old-school “56k no” thread :smuggo:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is awesome. I can confirm it runs on current Windows 11, just updated from the Microsoft Store. I was curious to see if it works on Windows 10. My work laptop still has an old version and the store isn't showing me the newest, so unsure if that's because it's locked down or because Windows 10 only gets old versions.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The saddest part of all with regards to things like the trimmed down right click menu, is ultimately its just them trying to follow apple's philosophy which of course is to take away, give you less and make you think its more. Except it works for them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’m a Goldilocks, I don’t mind a trimmed down right click menu, but the Win11 one is missing some essentials for me. Ideally it would just be easily customizable.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

The saddest part of all with regards to things like the trimmed down right click menu, is ultimately its just them trying to follow apple's philosophy which of course is to take away, give you less and make you think its more. Except it works for them.

The worst part is that some items in the menu love depending of the menus position. It’s supposed to place the cut/copy/paste icons closest to the mouse cursor, but it seems not to about 1 in 5 times for me. It’s frustrating enough that they move, it’s worse that it’s wrong.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I can't get to it yet, but I'd be curious to know what Snipping Tool's default FPS is and if the resolution is stays 1:1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

30fps, can't see any option to change that. 60fps would be nice but it's intended for recording software demos rather than gameplay.