Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

speng31b posted:

you should apply, id vote for you as mod. this is completely serious and not a joke

I should apply. I would be harsh but fair, and lead us towards an alliance with our counterpart subforums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Delta-Wye posted:

you're only there for four hours, how deep do they need to be?

about 6-feet

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

no but you see the nazi president is a jew, therefore

Sounds remarkably similar to the vintage version.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Only mlmp could get mocked here for attacking Clinton.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/GunterFehlinger/status/1626228431246745601

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Aristos_Revenge/status/1626476193917677568
https://twitter.com/Aristos_Revenge/status/1626476204483026944

ltcol nafo paid to post on twitter and one star reviews on google

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
is that smirk on his face permanent?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

thats not candy posted:

is that smirk on his face permanent?

Nah, he just has to return it with his AF Form 1297.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BadOptics posted:

Nah, the longer fuselage is definitely a -17. The -15's exhaust is shorter and the wings have the distinctive -17 shape.

the front is the part that they basically are the same.

I reckon the mig 21 is the best looking old timey jet

It looks like an engine with some wings and a cab strapped on, just the bare minimum you need to go really fast and blow poo poo up, a properly orcish looking fighter plane

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

I should apply. I would be harsh but fair, and lead us towards an alliance with our counterpart subforums.

no thanks

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

i'm glad they're having a good time :stare:

They might seem happy but I think they're actually kinda pissed that the government is planning to cut their pay.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I reckon the mig 21 is the best looking old timey jet

It looks like an engine with some wings and a cab strapped on, just the bare minimum you need to go really fast and blow poo poo up, a properly orcish looking fighter plane

very orky to strap a bayonet to the nose of your fighter aircraft

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Su-17/22 has a "so ugly it's cool" thing going on.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Al Saqr : Palpatine
mila kunis : Snoke

I'm willing to go with not saying "the Ukraine" because that's actually a reasonable complaint

But the "Kiev/Kyiv" stuff just suddenly popped up in the last few years and comes off as extremely disingenuous.

bunch of white suburban liberals suddenly caring about the pronunciation and latin alphabet spelling on feb 25, 2022 is about as disingenuous as you can get

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Now that active scanned array radars don't need to be a oscillating dish in the middle, I kind of wish they'd made a modern mig-21 with aesa elements in the wing roots or something but unfortunately it's probably not stealthy enough.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

indiscriminate (review) bombing has always been part of the american military doctrine

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Throatwarbler posted:

Now that active scanned array radars don't need to be a oscillating dish in the middle, I kind of wish they'd made a modern mig-21 with aesa elements in the wing roots or something but unfortunately it's probably not stealthy enough.

hell there is a general lack of "affordable" fighter jets on the world market. the jf17 is the only real deal. saab somehow turned the gripen e into a $100MM monstrosity. if WARNO 2 releases all the fighter jets will cost like 500 points to deploy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yellowcar posted:

indiscriminate (review) bombing has always been part of the american military doctrine

It's called psyops, duh.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

OctaMurk posted:

hell there is a general lack of "affordable" fighter jets on the world market. the jf17 is the only real deal. saab somehow turned the gripen e into a $100MM monstrosity. if WARNO 2 releases all the fighter jets will cost like 500 points to deploy.

The F-16 was supposed to be as cheap as MiGs lol

e: and the F-5 even moreso.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What about the mig29? I thought those were a solid value for money deal and they're very pretty which matters a lot to me

Stealth is overrated imo

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

The F-16 was supposed to be as cheap as MiGs lol

e: and the F-5 even moreso.

It's hard to compare modern variants of F-16s and MiG-29s, because they've both changed so much, but they were pretty comparable in cost. The F-16 just morphed into a multi-role instead of having Just One Job.

But at launch, they were very similar in price. F-16 was cheaper than a MiG-29 early on! Nowadays a brand-new F-16 with an AESA and all the multirole stuff will cost you about 1.5x as much as a MiG-35 would have been. Difference is MiG-35s aren't really built; they basically consist of a handful of prototypes, but Russia lacks the industrial base and purchasers to make them in any real number beyond marketing demos. MiG-35s first came out in 2016, and 6 total production air frames were ever built. Not 6 variants, six aircraft.

Russia makes small numbers of SU-35s, and they price out roughly the same or a little cheaper than a new-model F-16.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 04:29 on Feb 18, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they should make a chad plane instead of these skulking eliot rodgersesque stealth planes.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the russians have resorted to more desperate means to defeat ukrainians in the battlefield

very unsustainable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btIr4p4FqK4

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

What about the mig29? I thought those were a solid value for money deal and they're very pretty which matters a lot to me

Stealth is overrated imo

India is about the only country that might still be interested. Russia is awaiting news on whether India wants to spend USD $2.2 billion to buy about 33 jets and refurbish another 50-60 jets. India has been playing a will they won't they game, initially canceling orders when Russia built up to and invaded Ukraine, then later mulling whether or not they wanted to try buying from Russia anyway. IIRC they've been debating this since 2019 or so.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
As The West (tm) has been demonstrating over the past year, nobody can actually afford to use their war materials apart from the biggest nations.

Hell most of what they have now is boutique local craftsman material made by the one dude who is now semi retired and would rather make orange jam instead.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 05:09 on Feb 18, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1626360634886479872

thank goodness german leadership doesnt listen to what their people want to do just think about how awful it would be for democracy if they did such a thing

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Here is the latest mega-wundewaffe that flies, sails, dices. It even sends AND receives faxes. It's been designed in detail over 20 years by a team of 200 professionals, countless committees and uses vast amounts of proprietary technology unique to our 500 individual vendors. Let me give you the deed and the keys. Happy future wars General!

Oh General, I forgot to mention. We're all moving on to other jobs, retiring, that sort of thing, and also we sold off all the tooling for scrap because we don't need it anymore now the contract is done. Good luck maintaining these, making replacements or trouble shooting anything in a few years time. I think half our vendors went bankrupt due to the recession too. Anyway toodles! (waves from BMW screeching out the parking lot)

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

ukraine found enough gleb freikorps to create a whole freikorps unit

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Doesn't the Indian mig21 bisons variants have aesa radars?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
In the last 20 years, Sukhoi have still produced a bunch of different SU-27/30/34/35s aircraft and modernized a ton of legacy aircraft. Mikoyan specifically has been following behind a bit and it is probably down to only a handful of projects under the UAC merger. The MiG 29 is still under production and modernization though.

The big issue has been AESA radar equipped aircraft and that has been more of a struggle but it seems more of an priority/budget issue than a hard technological limit.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 06:42 on Feb 18, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Real hurthling! posted:

they should make a chad plane instead of these skulking eliot rodgersesque stealth planes.

America's chad plane is the C130 Hercules dropping a pallet of JASSMs out the back. You may not like it but that's what peak air war looks like.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Danann posted:

the what

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

the what

this comes as a surprise?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

the what

Behold, the power of media spin.

Not a dig at you. This sort of bountiful evidence has been actively suppressed at every opportunity by the usual actors.

I think at some point any unfortunate evidence will simply be dismissed as "oh that's an AI photo". Give it time. Maybe it'll be mature by next_conflict.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Danann posted:

Sending out a mass warning email to all my Spartacist comrades to not, I repeat NOT, launch the revolution quite yet.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Danann posted:

Let's not jump to conclusions, maybe they play Malifaux

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
(assumes t-pose, starts spinning on the spot like a helicopter taking off)

Actually its just their clan tag for a historical video game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

smug jeebus posted:

Let's not jump to conclusions, maybe they play Malifaux

Nobody plays Malifaux

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Al! posted:

the what

https://twitter.com/meatdata/status/1493189813209493505

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm genuinely curious what they think the domestic reaction would be to the economic shock of trade with China being suspended, in a neoliberal state that promises less than nothing to the citizenry for their privations and sacrifices.

Maybe people will shrug, or it will finally be the day we find out whether the Hampton are a defensible position.