Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Oh my god I just heard they fired the only other Cryo Engineer yesterday with no notice or given reason. Pretty sure I saw him yesterday so it had to have been right after I gave my resignation notice. I have an engineering degree so I suspect they were planning on promoting me to his role. Apparently there was a "heated" meeting on Monday where he pushed back on a last minute project requirement. I'm also sure it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact he was the only black guy in the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Think I've posted about working as a clinic nurse before but holy our management is an absolute joke.

When I started there was one nurse manager and another practice manager that did non clinical stuff, but she transferred so my boss was doing the job of 3 people on her own, and she loving killed it.

After she got her master's and left, they hired 4 people who can't even manage to do 25% of that on their own. They spent more time and money getting their loving offices repainted, while the walls in the rest of the place need all the empty picture hangers taken out and a coat or 5 of paint.

The moron clinic "lead" (who leads from the safety of her office) literally dumped two different versions of lidocaine together (one with epinephrine and one without - med error anyone?). Her communication skills are equivalent to those of my shoes and her listening skills - if there's ever been a walking exemplar of "read/comprehend/post" it's her dumb rear end.

One of the non clinical dudes is abusive to the other staff.

Mostly they're not actively hostile, just absolutely absent and useless. They're apparently fixing all the problems they supposedly inherited by doing absolutely nothing.

Not only have I been struggling with burnout since mid 2020, but this place was supposed to be the change of scenery that helped revitalize my desire to continue nursing. Now I'm more certain than ever that once I get my CDI certification in a couple of months, I'm walking away from this place and patient care forever. The system is full of rot and it's not getting better in my lifetime, so gently caress it all, I'm out.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Super Waffle posted:

Oh my god I just heard they fired the only other Cryo Engineer yesterday with no notice or given reason. Pretty sure I saw him yesterday so it had to have been right after I gave my resignation notice. I have an engineering degree so I suspect they were planning on promoting me to his role. Apparently there was a "heated" meeting on Monday where he pushed back on a last minute project requirement. I'm also sure it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact he was the only black guy in the company.

:sickos:

Eat poo poo oldjob!

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Freaquency posted:

Signature software is not expensive at all and will create a uniform look throughout the company. Group policy can turn off users’ ability to modify their signature in Outlook. Someone’s IT is falling down on the job.

I would probably enjoy that job. "Brand Signature Monitor."

In other news, I did an interview last week and got an IM from the recruiter that leads me to think I am about to get an offer to go to a different group. It's not exactly where I expected to go, but it's working with a product I enjoy and a change I think I'm ready for after 4+ years of being stagnant.

Of course, 1 hour later my manager asked if I'd be down for interviewing for a manager position over a potential new team where I am living now. Nothing has been decided about this team yet. He knows I interviewed with the other group. I'm pretty sure he knows they're about to make an offer.

I winced and said no. Partially because I've had this carrot dangled and taken away before, partially because I simply am too tired to give a team of people my best, and partially because while I'm a passable interim manager, I've learned that doing it long term isn't something that suits me well. There's other stuff too, but I didn't go there.

We'll see how badly I shot off my foot soon!

blackmet fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 16, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Think I've posted about working as a clinic nurse before but holy our management is an absolute joke.

When I started there was one nurse manager and another practice manager that did non clinical stuff, but she transferred so my boss was doing the job of 3 people on her own, and she loving killed it.

After she got her master's and left, they hired 4 people who can't even manage to do 25% of that on their own. They spent more time and money getting their loving offices repainted, while the walls in the rest of the place need all the empty picture hangers taken out and a coat or 5 of paint.

The moron clinic "lead" (who leads from the safety of her office) literally dumped two different versions of lidocaine together (one with epinephrine and one without - med error anyone?). Her communication skills are equivalent to those of my shoes and her listening skills - if there's ever been a walking exemplar of "read/comprehend/post" it's her dumb rear end.

One of the non clinical dudes is abusive to the other staff.

Mostly they're not actively hostile, just absolutely absent and useless. They're apparently fixing all the problems they supposedly inherited by doing absolutely nothing.

Not only have I been struggling with burnout since mid 2020, but this place was supposed to be the change of scenery that helped revitalize my desire to continue nursing. Now I'm more certain than ever that once I get my CDI certification in a couple of months, I'm walking away from this place and patient care forever. The system is full of rot and it's not getting better in my lifetime, so gently caress it all, I'm out.

The administration side of medicine is useless and, I know I use this word every time I bitch about health care administration (the clerical poo poo), bloated.

I did send a mini report to a newspaper that did their best to describe some of the awfulness of the insurance industry, but also obviously did not understand the processes they were reporting about fully, which isn’t their fault since it seems that nobody in the health insurance industry does either.

Or it might just have been that it is so convoluted and boring that they figured if they wrote about it and described it correctly, people would stop reading the article, so they were like,”eh, it’s close enough to pointing out what should make people mad about the system they are forced to pay into to try to remain healthy enough to work to pay into this broken system.”

I would love to study the administration side of all the countries with functional universal health systems. Because I’m a weirdo.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Pyrtanis posted:

Are these the coffee beans it took serious wrangling to get smoked?

Lol. Yeah. It'll finally be done. Definitely learned a lesson about getting anything done here at the end/beginning of the year here. Definitely a big cultural thing. Upper level management was just not around.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Super Waffle posted:

:lol: please let us know how this turns out for them

The system is full of rot and it's not getting better in my lifetime, so gently caress it all, I'm out.

:same:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

The system is full of rot and it's not getting better in my lifetime, so gently caress it all, I'm out.

Outrail posted:

A slow-motion car wreck is undeniably interesting to a lot of people. A certain type of person may consider the observational experience enhanced from inside the vehicle.

The two states I oscillate between every workday in every workplace

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Got an empty keg back this morning from a customer. They actually bothered to write a note on the shipping label saying that they really liked the beer. So that was very nice of them!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Done with that 11 hour day! :toot:

Bottling went relatively smoothly at least.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol me and my supe were the only people who came to work last night, and she doesn't know how to run chipmounters. I got to finish off the final production run in the factory by myself and turn over the entire department and half of the plant I work in to maint for the first three hours of the shift.

Then I took PTO on Monday and Tuesday night woooooooooo 5 day weekend idk what the gently caress those guys are gonna do next week.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Outrail posted:

:lol: please let us know how this turns out for them

Will do. rear end in a top hat COO has not acknowledged my leaving. I at least expected a half-hearted attempt to get me to stay; I was hoping for the chance to detail my new job to his face. He was talking to someone near my desk this morning so I took the opportunity to grab a box from the printer area and start clearing my desk while singing a jaunty tune to myself.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lol, my software team is getting chewed up on this spec review with (major 4 letter gov. agency).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Now I'm more certain than ever that once I get my CDI certification in a couple of months

You should see if you can get 3DO certified.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i no longer have a manager, defined job responsiblities, reports, deliverables or a schedule but i still get a paycheck

is this a job?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

boar guy posted:

i no longer have a manager, defined job responsiblities, reports, deliverables or a schedule but i still get a paycheck

is this a job?

If you don't want it I'll take it

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Living the dream!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

boar guy posted:

is this a job?

that's pretty much me (outside the schedule, but really no schedule when I'm at work) after last night until march 17 and it's killer

even a month ago me taking 2 days PTO after a holiday while 3 other people were taking PTO woulda been straight denied, now it's like whatever

I got written up for half a point by HR for calling in a couple weeks ago at the start of my weekend this morning, and my supervisor handed the writeup to me laughing, saying "idk what she thinks she's doing with this," and I said, "she's gotta justify herself somehow," and we both had a hearty lol

my supervisor is a 5 foot tall, old Mexican woman who makes the best biscochitos ever as a christmas gift to her employees and losing her is going to be a major detriment to my life

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 17, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

boar guy posted:

is this a job?

Milton really had it made, when you think about it.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
What a "point" and also Milton wasn't getting PAID

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

slurm posted:

What a "point" and also Milton wasn't getting PAID

Actually, he was until the Bob's "fixed the glitch", then he burned the place down and went to Mexico. Point stands.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Actually, he was until the Bob's "fixed the glitch", then he burned the place down and went to Mexico. Point stands.

Milton stands as a proud example for all of us to follow

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Hell yeah

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Dumb poo poo your work does - burn the place down and go to Mexico

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
My very first office job in my 20s, they handed me an office supplies catalog and said choose the things I'll need for my desk. For some reason, this dang thing had the red swing line in there, with a full reference to Milton in the description. I of course immediately choose that as my stapler.

Come to find out later that my manager had reacted badly upon seeing that, being like who does this kid think she is - but my coworker who had handed me the catalog made a case for me, so I ended up still getting the thing. It was my very first lesson in the nature of office politics. As for why my coworker stood up for me - I think she either felt guilty that she hadn't looked at what I chose before bringing it to the Manager's desk, or for not telling a kid who they just handed a catalog to stick to the cheapest versions of things lol. Maybe both.

Anyway I still have it so thanks, first job! It's a Good Stapler.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

My very first office job in my 20s, they handed me an office supplies catalog and said choose the things I'll need for my desk. For some reason, this dang thing had the red swing line in there, with a full reference to Milton in the description. I of course immediately choose that as my stapler.

Come to find out later that my manager had reacted badly upon seeing that, being like who does this kid think she is - but my coworker who had handed me the catalog made a case for me, so I ended up still getting the thing. It was my very first lesson in the nature of office politics. As for why my coworker stood up for me - I think she either felt guilty that she hadn't looked at what I chose before bringing it to the Manager's desk, or for not telling a kid who they just handed a catalog to stick to the cheapest versions of things lol. Maybe both.

If the manager didn't want anyone grabbing the Red Swingline, they should have grabbed it themselves. If they didn't want the newbie getting the Good poo poo, then they should have just given you basic poo poo right up front.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
St Milton, Patron Saint of employees

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

my first job was being a caddy and they showed us how to do the golf stuff but not the social interaction stuff so at the turn i ordered a hot dog and chips and a drink instead of a candy bar and was utterly shocked at not getting a tip (the person you're carrying for is billed for what you order)

the other caddies in the shack sure had a hoot about that one. welcome to the world of work, 14 year old boar guy

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Past two places I've worked I've also been able to choose my stapler. When I searched the listings, the Swingline 747 was the only decently rated stapler that was under $30. 90% of the reviews were references to Office Space. It's a good stapler.

Literally no one I've ever worked with has gotten the reference.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Super Waffle posted:

He was talking to someone near my desk this morning so I took the opportunity to grab a box from the printer area and start clearing my desk while singing a jaunty tune to myself.

A captain of industry, right here. Well played, sir.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

boar guy posted:

my first job was being a caddy and they showed us how to do the golf stuff but not the social interaction stuff so at the turn i ordered a hot dog and chips and a drink instead of a candy bar and was utterly shocked at not getting a tip (the person you're carrying for is billed for what you order)

the other caddies in the shack sure had a hoot about that one. welcome to the world of work, 14 year old boar guy

Dang. Huh, I didn’t know the term “the turn” makes sense that’s snack time.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

boar guy posted:

is this a job?

Do whatever you can to stay under the radar.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Overheard a piece of a conversation about some... uh... monuments. "Better go see em while you can before the black people take em down."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

impossiboobs posted:

Past two places I've worked I've also been able to choose my stapler. When I searched the listings, the Swingline 747 was the only decently rated stapler that was under $30. 90% of the reviews were references to Office Space. It's a good stapler.

Literally no one I've ever worked with has gotten the reference.

Gotta get "Well, Ok. But... that's the last straw" engraved on one of these things.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Swinglines are reasonable but the last good stapler was made in the 80s. That's why I took my parents' stapler when moving out.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Salami Surgeon posted:

Overheard a piece of a conversation about some... uh... monuments. "Better go see em while you can before the black people take em down."

:whitewater:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
A well liked, respected and knowledgeable manager put in his 4 weeks notice.
Instead of training, handover or even just doing his job for the next 4 weeks he was told he would receive 4 weeks pay and to stop working, not for security or sabotage concerns or lol company secrets or anything, but to make the department's ARVE infinitesimally higher.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

~Coxy posted:

A well liked, respected and knowledgeable manager put in his 4 weeks notice.
Instead of training, handover or even just doing his job for the next 4 weeks he was told he would receive 4 weeks pay and to stop working, not for security or sabotage concerns or lol company secrets or anything, but to make the department's ARVE infinitesimally higher.
Besides general corporate stupidity, why do that? I don't think it's the ones who give notice you really need to worry about. Especially that long. If I'm going to gently caress over an employer I'll gently caress them over first and then walk out.

I work for state government. We recently moved from a leased office building to a state-owned one. The building itself has been around a very long time - it got built when I was a kid and I'm :corsair:, but they basically completely gutted it and started over. They installed a nice large awning over the entranceway. Except they didn't actually attach it to the building, so there's about a two foot gap. Because of this water drips off the awning onto the sidewalk. Right in front of the doors. Guess what happens when it gets really cold? Waiting for some member of the public going to the DLD or DMV to take a huge pratfall and gently caress themselves up, costing the state thousands of dollars.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Companies like the one I work for live and die by their ability to engage through social media, youtube, etc. The business is run by two nepo babies whose dad was a legit genius but who is now long-dead and now they are like 70 and don't have a loving clue. Like, if they hired one person who could make youtube videos that appeal to the people who buy our products (young people in their early to mid-20s and under) they wouldn't have to play a shell game with finances such that we don't always get paid on time. But no, let's keep placing ads in magazines nobody reads. lmao 😭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Companies like the one I work for live and die by their ability to engage through social media, youtube, etc. The business is run by two nepo babies whose dad was a legit genius but who is now long-dead and now they are like 70 and don't have a loving clue. Like, if they hired one person who could make youtube videos that appeal to the people who buy our products (young people in their early to mid-20s and under) they wouldn't have to play a shell game with finances such that we don't always get paid on time. But no, let's keep placing ads in magazines nobody reads. lmao 😭

Sounds like it's time to eject