Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

Now, what about being dead?

There are plenty of things you can put in a will to be spiteful even after death, but once the estate is settled that’s usually the end of the rear end in a top hat’s ability to rear end in a top hat.

Well that's not a great snipe, so have someone who's going to create a family shitstorm from beyond the grave because they're too scared to think about death.

AITA for being blunt with my FIL about what will happen if he doesn't get his estate figured out?

quote:

My FIL is on the decline, he has been for a while but he's taken a turn for the worse. He is a stubborn, domineering man. He is utterly allergic to any sort of "difficult" conversation, a trait that he's passed on to his kids in varying degrees.

He does not have a will. He has no money. He almost certainly has insane levels of debt from medical expenses. The only asset is a large piece of property that is an emotional minefield. They bought it in the 80s, built the house from the ground up, raised the kids there, MIL is buried there. It was their hippie wonderland fantasy, and it means everything to FIL.

Kids have tried to have this conversation many times. So we (the kids and their spouses) decide to force this conversation while the spouses, which are immune from the family aspect, are there.

Today was that day. SIL lays it out - Dad we need to talk about the house, and what happens after you're gone. He gets all puffy chested and starts barking. Says we (the spouses) shouldn't be there and they can talk "next time" and my husband just goes "No dad, we need to talk about this now."

What follows are a bunch of softball questions from the siblings where FIL yells "that's none of your business" "you don't need to know that" etc etc. He finally just walks off downstairs to watch TV. We're all just looking at each other for a second and I finally go "Alright, I guess it's on me" (I have the most "seniority" of the spouses).

I turn the TV off. I look at him directly and go (close to): "LOOK - if you do not get your poo poo together, figure out a will and how to protect this house from being sold to pay off your debts, there is NOTHING we can do to save it. You, and only you, are in control of this situation. You know what's going to happen? You know those douchebags from California who bought up all the properties around here? That's what's going to happen. There is nothing your kids can do to stop it unless you're telling them that you expect them to turn their lives upside down and pay off the mess you got yourself into. Because if you continue to do nothing, that is exactly what you are saying and, frankly, they can't. So you are really forcing them into a lifetime of regret that they couldn't do more to save this place, just like you've made it clear is the only thing you care about. Deal with this. Or don't, and you know EXACTLY what will happen."

He starts sobbing. Then screaming. He kicks us all out. Outside the siblings start fighting, SIL and BIL are pissed at me saying I didn't need to be so cruel. Husband defends me. BIL's husband goes "look, she's right. I'm not signing up for anything if he doesn't get this figured out. We're out of time."

I'm amped up but I don't feel like I did anything wrong. This has gone on for WAY too long and my only interest in this is protecting my husband and his siblings from what would be an extremely distressing lose-lose situation. One that may ruin their relationship with one another. AITA?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

All we are is a temporary wedding of skeleton and sphincter

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Xlorp posted:

All we are is a temporary wedding of skeleton and sphincter

please don't doxx the context of my live camshow

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There are plenty of things you can put in a will to be spiteful even after death, but once the estate is settled that’s usually the end of the rear end in a top hat’s ability to rear end in a top hat.

Well that's not a great snipe, so have someone who's going to create a family shitstorm from beyond the grave because they're too scared to think about death.

AITA for being blunt with my FIL about what will happen if he doesn't get his estate figured out?

Terrible boomers being forced to face their mortality... :discourse:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
A boomer trying to force the next generation to deal with their gently caress-ups?!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive me if this is a rude question.

But in both of these families, how were the girls treated? How was the boy? Was there a "Golden Child"/"lesser ones" dynamic at play?

Again, forgive the potentially rude question.

I only briefly interacted with the guy but I presume he was a terrible father to his daughters and a poor husband to his wife who he spoke of as “finally giving me a son”.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

gently caress 'im, let the California realtors have his precious McMansion. The siblings can gently caress off too, it's past time the conversation was had whether they or Dad wants it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i don't know why they bothered, it's not like the talk did anything but piss him off and make him decide to just gently caress everyone harder

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for asking for the bread to be cut properly?

quote:

I live in a shared house with 4 of my friends. We get along quite well but recently I’ve been getting very annoyed at the bread situation. We get a big loaf of bread delivered to our door every Wednesday. We slowly go through the big bread loaf as the week goes on. Since we all share the same loaf together we all cut it when we need it. Im i the rear end in a top hat because I’m left handed and when someone cuts the loaf at an angle it impedes upon my ability to get a proper straight loaf and then it can’t fit in the toaster.

I’ve asked my housemates to be careful and cut the bread properly so that we can all get good slices of bread but they just laugh at me and say it’s not a big deal. My lefthandedness really makes it a struggle. Yesterday we had a proper fight about it. Im I in the wrong?

what the gently caress is this guy doing

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/7cCsZDg.mp4

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not wanting to pay Spousal Support to my ex-husband?

quote:

My (39F) ex-husband (44M) is seeking a huge amount of spousal support in our divorce. His lawyer argues that our income disparity entitles him. Yes, I make 4x more than him. But ALSO, yes, I have worked for it. l've pushed hard in my career and also completed my Master's degree while working full-time and having 3 children.

When we got together, he had get-up-and-go. It left. He became someone who didn't want to work hard and just wanted to take the easy, lazy route. I lost respect, and our marriage struggled and eventually ended.

It pains me to have to pay him now for his lack of drive, and so I have been fighting a legal battle against him about it. To be clear, l'm not talking about child support. I'm happy to pay that, and do pay that (shared custody) to ensure my children have all they need when they are with him.

Am I the Assshole for fighting him against spousal? For wishing he'd be a man and take pride in earning and caring for himself and his family? What's happened to the world?!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Upgrade posted:

I do not believe any family is “pre loading” money into Amazon because short of gift cards and store credit from refunds that’s not a thing - the kid probably just maxed the credit card.

To reload your balance:
1. Go to Reload Your Balance.
2. Choose or enter the amount you want to add to your gift card balance.
3. Select a payment method.
4. Select Reload and pay the amount you chose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GFUF4C6945KUQ4ZA

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

haveblue posted:

On the other hand, headphones. Wouldn't help with the dictation but would with everything where the computer is making noise without you talking

e: wrote this before I saw the person claims their headphones are uncomfortable. Get better headphones

Ignoring the reality that some people are prone to ear infections and just can't/shouldn't use headphones, OP doesn't want to change their entire lifestyle for someone living in her house for free, was open about not wanting to change how they live, and even tried to put him in a place where he wouldn't hear it so he wouldn't be bothered. He's the one who insisted on sharing space despite the clearly laid out consequences.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Foo Diddley posted:

As a leftie, you should be over whining about how hard it is to exist as a leftie by the time you're 16. No one is ever going to care if you have to twist your wrist a bit to cut some bread.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Foo Diddley posted:

My parents used to have a box thing you’d put an unsliced loaf of bread in, with guide slots for knives so you’d get nice even straight slices every time. I’m sure they still exist.

That might be the best solution, since everyone involved seems immune to actually talking it out like an adult.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bargearse posted:

My parents used to have a box thing you’d put an unsliced loaf of bread in, with guide slots for knives so you’d get nice even straight slices every time. I’m sure they still exist.

That might be the best solution, since everyone involved seems immune to actually talking it out like an adult.

the OP is dedicated to their identity as an oppressed leftie to the point of picking fights with their roommates over cutting bread

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

...couldn't they just turn the bread over if they needed to cut it at an angle left handed? It would be angled in the other direction.

e: Looks like it was suggested, and OP responded

quote:

This would be very difficult since we get sourdough and so it’s risen at the top so you can’t flip it upside down.

So the problem is they just need a decent serrated knife.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 18, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Bargearse posted:

OP in black and white, fumbling helplessly with a bread knife before throwing up his hands in despair: "there's got to be a better way!"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

split that baby in half and give half to the righties, half to the lefties

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for naming my son a different name than I agreed with his father?

quote:

I (25f) recently gave birth to my first child, a beautiful boy. I got pregnant by my ex-husband who cheated on me during my pregnancy and blamed me for withholding sex from him. I was six months pregnant at the time, but I moved out of his house and moved in with my mother. During those six months we discussed different names we could give our son. I wanted to name him "Dave" (my dead father's name), but my husband insisted in name him Joshua (his name, but with "Junior" after).

I agreed as I didn't want to argue and was going to name him that, but when I went to talk to my ex husband he was saying he wanted his new girlfriend to take an active role in our son's life. I was very angry, and to make matters worse he showed that he had a tattoo written "Joshua Junior" and the date on which the delivery was scheduled. I got mad at him and went back and named my son Dave and rescheduled the day of delivery. When he found out he yelled at me, called me an rear end in a top hat and said I was a bitch for doing something so ridiculous to him. Now I'm thinking to myself, am I the rear end in a top hat?

lol owned

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Foo Diddley posted:

How are they cutting the bread so righthandedly that the poster can’t just rotate the loaf 180 degrees and cut it lefthandedly?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Foo Diddley posted:

lol owned

lmao

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pirate Radar posted:

How are they cutting the bread so righthandedly that he can’t just rotate the loaf 180 degrees and cut it lefthandedly?

yeah, that's what i can't figure out, but OP can't rotate the knife hand at all so maybe the bread hand is completely rigid as well

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Maybe by “left handed” he means he has two left hands.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Wait, who the gently caress keeps bread for a whole drat week?!
That stuff must be completely dried out and crumbly by the time the fresh loaf arrives.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

Is there anything preventing OP from turning the bread to face a direction that favours his left-handedness?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

edogawa rando posted:

Is there anything preventing OP from turning the bread to face a direction that favours his left-handedness?

his roommates' inability to accommodate his left-handedness by cutting bread correctly

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Goddamn roommates!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Foo Diddley posted:

I'm left-handed and have no idea what this guy is taking about.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Foo Diddley posted:

lol owned

That's loving hilarious.

Oh my god, just brilliant.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

tattoo invalidated! back to the pavilion!!

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for telling my friend she's acting like a bridezilla because of bridesmaid outfits

Outfit bride chose
Outfit OP wants
Bride's dress

And I finally get to use the marvellous phrase I picked up from another poster here.

Oh you DENSE motherfucker!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not wanting to pay Spousal Support to my ex-husband?
*hits *submit* with the end of my bacon flavoured vape* hohoho another successful psyop MGTOW crew 4 lyfe

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

OK, the guy's a complete dick, but how do you write a will that gets you out of (apparently) massive debt? 'I leave my house to the kids and all my debt to someone else' isn't going to work, is it?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Unkempt posted:

OK, the guy's a complete dick, but how do you write a will that gets you out of (apparently) massive debt? 'I leave my house to the kids and all my debt to someone else' isn't going to work, is it?

There are things you can do to protect assets, but you have to do them before the medical debt gets incurred. As one of the spouses says in the story, it's too late for that poo poo.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

At best they can maybe keep it from getting worse, but the point of not saddling his family with medical debt has sailed past at high speed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

At least the spouses all seem to be holding the same line on 'we are absolutely not sabotaging ourselves to save your childhood home'.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alchenar posted:

At least the spouses all seem to be holding the same line on 'we are absolutely not sabotaging ourselves to save your childhood home'.

Well I mean in hindsight put your dope addicted mom in rehab over a nursing home because it’s free. Maybe she can get over her rainman style freakouts over eating food or taking showers with all that fine skin she turned into codeine and take a poo poo that’s not a pressurized prolapse for once. :shrug:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Can't the dying dude just sell all his assets for next to nothing before his death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Can't the dying dude just sell all his assets for next to nothing before his death?

Those sort of shenanigans only fly when you're a multi-billion large corporation.