Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

*checks notes*

yeah out of the Picard/Riker duo the guy who lets the bridge crew know he’s going to go gently caress it out on holodeck 4 and plays trombone is the boring one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

holefoods posted:

*checks notes*

yeah out of the Picard/Riker duo the guy who lets the bridge crew know he’s going to go gently caress it out on holodeck 4 and plays trombone is the boring one

It's too far back in time now to bother looking for and buried in the reply to a reply to a reply of some Twitter thread but I saw a guy once just absolutely mercilessly dissect just how loving wrong Mike was about real basic entry-level poo poo about TNG and I've honestly never been able to take anything the man says about the show and his purported obsessive love for it seriously ever since.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

The RLM folks aside from Jack have exactly two productive uses: enlightening people as to how bad the Star Wars prequels were, and lovingly dunking on old B-movie grindhouse schlock and VHS tapes of grannies doing their jazzercise steps or whatever. Unfortunately, public discourse has swung back into "No, you see the Prequels were actually the best Star Wars movies, unironically" territory now that Gen Z has reached the first throes of adulthood

Nah. The prequels are bad but they’re not bad enough to warrant creating three hour long cinemasins style diatribes for each one, and the damage RLM did to online genre media discourse in the process is far worse anyway.

Pretend I posted that meme with the dominos that go from tiny to huge, with the tiny one being “RLM episode 1 rant” and the huge one being “Disney/Abrams/Terrio actively taking notes for TROS from chuds and incels”.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did they at least like that Picard had that clay artifact that they freaked out about in that one plinkett review?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah. The prequels are bad but they’re not bad enough to warrant creating three hour long cinemasins style diatribes for each one, and the damage RLM did to online genre media discourse in the process is far worse anyway.

Pretend I posted that meme with the dominos that go from tiny to huge, with the tiny one being “RLM episode 1 rant” and the huge one being “Disney/Abrams/Terrio actively taking notes for TROS from chuds and incels”.

The prequels broke everyone’s brains long before Mike slurred his speech slightly and joked about dead hookers in his basement or whatever the Plinkett shtick was. They’re just mediocre (except Attack of the Clones, that movie is aggressively bad) movies in a big franchise. People should have just shrugged and moved on. The “rehab the prequels” movement is almost worse than the “they’re the worst thing ever” movement.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Did they at least like that Picard had that clay artifact that they freaked out about in that one plinkett review?

I don't even think Mike would recognize the Kurlan naiskos if you even showed him a picture of it anymore, but yeah I do not doubt for a second that that was Terry Matalas going out of his way to troll Mike Stoklasa.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“Disney/Abrams/Terrio actively taking notes for TROS from chuds and incels”.

That part has at least been thoroughly debunked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBExyfw8mXk

Most of the awful decisions regarding The Rise of Skwalker were made in a vacuum and/or before an entire generation of newly minted chuds lit themselves on forever fire because The Last Jedi cracked their brains.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 18, 2023

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Star Wars prequels are bad but at this point there are tons of folks out there doing a far better job reappraising them that there's really no reason to go back to old youtube diatribes. A More Civilized Age is the new standard, they're playing chess to everyone else's checkers.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cojawfee posted:

They did at least use that same stock clay-pot-breaking sound effect when part of their set fell apart unexpectedly

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Speaking of The Last Jedi / The Rise of Skywalker, I listened to the Blank Check podcast episodes on the two movies over the last couple of days, and there's a hilarious bit of post-facto existential comedy to it, listening to Griffin Newman say "I am excited about the future of Star Wars for the first time in a decade" about TLJ, and knowing that TROS is eventually coming and that the grand vision that Star Wars eventually laid out for its future was "...No."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Delsaber posted:

The Star Wars prequels are bad but at this point there are tons of folks out there doing a far better job reappraising them that there's really no reason to go back to old youtube diatribes. A More Civilized Age is the new standard, they're playing chess to everyone else's checkers.

It's not fair to compare the RLM guys to the likes of Rob Zacny and Austin Walker. I could listen to Rob talk about motorsports forever.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

I won't stand for the RLM slander up in here

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Why does Beverly insist on not trusting Starfleet when she is being pursued by unknown aliens at the edge of Federation space? Does she believe the aliens to be in cahoots with Starfleet, even though she has no idea who they are?

I guess this can still be explained later, but it just seems pointlessly grimdark on the face of it.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

SimonChris posted:

Why does Beverly insist on not trusting Starfleet when she is being pursued by unknown aliens at the edge of Federation space? Does she believe the aliens to be in cahoots with Starfleet, even though she has no idea who they are?

I guess this can still be explained later, but it just seems pointlessly grimdark on the face of it.

I would presume there is a yet-to-be-revealed reason for it. Being the Picard show, the reason may well be incredibly dumb, but there should be a reason.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Gresh posted:

I won't stand for the RLM slander up in here

Yes, but are you sitting for it?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I think the star wars prequels/sequels and Picard/Disco have a decent comparison to be drawn.
The Star Wars sequels suck because they're a huge corporation doing them with no real plan, just get them done. Doesn't matter if the people making them are good (Abrams isn't but still), they're unplanned and shoddy.
The Star Wars prequels suck because they're a guy with a Vision about what he wants to do and say but it doesn't go very well because he's left to his own devices rather than having a team going 'hey lets try it this way'. But they suck in different ways and you can at least take SOMETHING from the prequels even if they're not good films.

For me SNW and prodigy are a bit tepid but I can see what they're doing and I can tell they're made with love like the prequels are
Picard/Discovery are dogshit because they're made by paint by numbers corporate people forcing stuff out of the content mill, like the sequels are (no slander on Rian here it's not his fault)

Meanwhile Lower Decks stands with the shows that are made both by people who love the setting but have controls set on what they're making - like with Clone Wars, Andor, etc

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 18, 2023

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It would be fun for one of these space shows to remember that oldies or even classical music would be a way more broad and expansive category than it is for us. Like season 2's mom's depression arc would have been way funnier if her quirky old-timey depression had the faux victrola playing Bright Eyes

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Picard (Shakespearishly): Admiral's log. My great grandfather, Henri Picard was a Jun Kook stan. Somehow this is relevant to the conspiracy that threatens Starfleet in the 25th century.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 18, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's honestly why the Beasties work in Beyond. Also it's very funny that Picard made Bev a mixtape like he was 13 and not like 60

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I do appreciate that Riker told Shaw to gently caress off when he clearly disrespected 7.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Riker was great the whole episode. Throw Picard out a fuckin airlock and make it Star Trek: Riker.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It would be fun for one of these space shows to remember that oldies or even classical music would be a way more broad and expansive category than it is for us. Like season 2's mom's depression arc would have been way funnier if her quirky old-timey depression had the faux victrola playing Bright Eyes

One episode of Voyager they go to the 90s and Harry or Janeway is like “Tom! You’re into 20th century culture! Talk to these people!” and then Tom Paris talks to Sarah Silverman in 1950s slang and she’s understandably confused. I feel like that’s the only time that sort of thing has been addressed?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've mentioned it before, but royalties aside, one of the reasons that they use older music is we already know which stuff has aged into classics and which will be forgotten.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
It's interesting, a bunch of stuff from the 1920s is in the public domain now, so "classic" music might be very different on Trek going forward.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I remain on the side of not understanding how SNW is so beloved when it rises to the "monumental" task of not being actively miserable and harmful like Picard and Discovery. I stand by it not being good, and continuing all the sins of those two shows, just with an amazing cast and they have a loose, episodic season arc instead of a strict one. The pirate one and the fairy tale one are the only two episodes I personally liked, and I rank the gornomorph episode with the very worst of Picard. I can't stand how casual the crew act, which is a consistent problem with nuTrek where no one acts like a professional.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Are there any instances of sci fi shows that aimed for future music and nailed it? Like it would be amazing yet not impossible for some random 70s movie to land on proto-dubstep

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eimi posted:

I remain on the side of not understanding how SNW is so beloved when it rises to the "monumental" task of not being actively miserable and harmful like Picard and Discovery. I stand by it not being good, and continuing all the sins of those two shows, just with an amazing cast and they have a loose, episodic season arc instead of a strict one. The pirate one and the fairy tale one are the only two episodes I personally liked, and I rank the gornomorph episode with the very worst of Picard. I can't stand how casual the crew act, which is a consistent problem with nuTrek where no one acts like a professional.

I wouldn't call it beloved — it's okay. It's fine, mostly, which is also a bar that all of the other live-action series has thus far failed to clear

...and that probably says more about the franchise than the series I guess, but there it is.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Even though I really enjoy SNW, the Gorn stuff is just absolutely awful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's how I feel about it. It's pretty decent, which puts it head and shoulders above the other live action ones. I think there's the potential for it to be great if the production staff doesn't fail the excellent cast they've assembled.

I think Spock Amok was my favorite since dumb space hijinks is classic Trek and it's been so long since we got one of those. Also appreciated when they just told Pike what was going on like adults who trust each other instead of making stupid drama by trying to hide it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I presume the military and police experience amongst writers and producers died with Gene and has never been replaced and the tone of nutrek really suffers for that.

Just lol at the whole ship just keepin' on as the XO decides to move a battleship in a manner other than ordered while the captain is taking a nap. Either the captain is getting woken immediately or every officer on the ship is getting court-martialed ten minutes after he wakes up.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Night10194 posted:

Even though I really enjoy SNW, the Gorn stuff is just absolutely awful.

It's pretty bad. The Gorn always just seemed comical to me. "Arena" is not a great episode because of its story, location work, or dialogue — it's great because Kirk has a poorly choreographed fistfight with a lizard man.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Eimi posted:

just with an amazing cast and they have a loose, episodic season arc instead of a strict one.

This is what makes it good, hth. If you don't like whatever bullshit is going on this week, well just wait til next week for a different flavour.

More than anything else, I found SNW enjoyable to watch. It feels like a good start and a solid foundation for something great. In fact, I thought it was more consistently good than LD season 1, though it didn't hit the same heights.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Beeftweeter posted:

It's pretty bad. The Gorn always just seemed comical to me. "Arena" is not a great episode because of its story, location work, or dialogue — it's great because Kirk has a poorly choreographed fistfight with a lizard man.

It's also the episode that gave Evil Robot Bill and Ted the idea for where to kill Good Bill and Ted. So it's an important one.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, SNW for me isn’t just “good for NuTrek” - I found S1 to be a legitimately fun and refreshing series with characters I care about and stories that made me think a little.

I’d rank it above Voyager’s first season but still a bit below DS9’s first season.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

holefoods posted:

I think there was some RLM content in the last few months where Mike mentions SNW and says he turned it off after the first episode because there was too much snarky wisecracking or something.

The whole RLM crew has remarkably garbage opinions on new entries in their favorite childhood series, really.

It was that people interact like they're in a hip, tech company office instead of a dry, professional accounting firm office. There's a type of fan that loves the Motion Picture and scifi that's all people in boardrooms talking and that just isn't going to mesh with current tv and film sensibilities.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Why is Raffi still in this show? They wrote out Rios just fine and they should have purged Raffi at the same time.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Are there any instances of sci fi shows that aimed for future music and nailed it? Like it would be amazing yet not impossible for some random 70s movie to land on proto-dubstep

If you could predict future musical styles you'd be off making a poo poo load of money instead of sound tracking some straight to streaming sci fi bullshit.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Who in Starfleet Intelligence thought that a emotional ex-junkie would be a good spy? Did they do it on a dare?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Lister posted:

It was that people interact like they're in a hip, tech company office instead of a dry, professional accounting firm office. There's a type of fan that loves the Motion Picture and scifi that's all people in boardrooms talking and that just isn't going to mesh with current tv and film sensibilities.

Yeah, Trek has always usually reflected the times in terms of workplace attitudes. TOS was still very navy-based all the way through the movies, but TNG definitely adopted the “new age board meeting” aesthetic that dominated the late 80s and early 90s work environment.

SNW very much feels like a day at my office, in terms of how the characters conduct themselves.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

make it Star Trek: Riker.

Literally been saying this for decades.

That was a good start to the season with a few dumb things but the music and respect for TNG/the older movies is so far doing a great job of papering over the cracks.

I think ,I thiiiink I might know where they're heading based on some hints from this episode, and if it is all will be forgiven:

It's a big Federation memorial day. We've got shots of the Enterprise D and someone saying no one wants those toys. Geordie works at the Federation museum.

Now, what I'm hoping is, last episode, the Titan is hosed, getting blasted to hell, then it gets an incoming transmission:

Riker: It's... I don't believe this.
Picard: What is it?
Riker: It's the Enterprise.

Cuts to the D warping in and saving the day, Georgia at the helm fresh from the museum. The old crew beam aboard and we get our thoroughly deserved Star Trek 6 moment of them on the bridge one last time.

I will cry as Riker holds me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Taear posted:

The Star Wars sequels
The Star Wars prequels suck

Just wanting to note that Empire and Jedi are also lovely sequels to the one good Star Wars movie, the one they should've stopped at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Beeftweeter posted:

Arena was great because of its classic trek fakeout of "horrible ugly evil beast monster must be defeated by noble good guys!" only for the evil 50's drive in movie monster to go "no, you guys are the rear end in a top hat alien invaders! we were defending ourselves, this is your fault!". If it didn't have that element and was just "kirk must defeat the evil monster" it would have been really forgettable (ironically the SNW gorn episode did exactly this and was subsequently the worst episode of the show).