Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

endlessmonotony posted:

The world ended in 2012, we're in hell now.
oh no, a long way further back than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

It's a real concern.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

History Comes Inside! posted:

lol why the gently caress did they call it skynet?

That has to be some nerd just putting it in the suggestion box for funsies and a succession of other nerds just letting it go because surely someone is going to clock this before it happens and then no, now we have a Skynet.
Options for naming the first Alcubierre Drive experimental space-warp ship, as chosen by public vote:
A: Event Horizon
B: Spacey McSpaceface

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Apraxin posted:

oh no, a long way further back than that

i dunno, if we had to rely on a minority political party in germany for the global revolution of all mankind maybe that’s not a reliable plan

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Jel Shaker posted:

i dunno, if we had to rely on a minority political party in germany for the global revolution of all mankind maybe that’s not a reliable plan

Especially one wer hat uns verraten

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sensible centrist proud to pay the worlds richest man money each month for his blue tick

https://twitter.com/matthewstadlen/status/1626276264314040323?s=46&t=8FtU4zKmwrDTWUS6WEhWNw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The timelines actually split when David Nutt was so science that it caused Alan Johnson to illegally rush through a drug law and then spell the thing he wanted to ban wrong, right before an election where Labour got their lowest percentage of the university educated vote in decades for some reason.

https://twitter.com/skippy_0h/status/1626710570173968384

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
World went to poo poo when the Internet went mainstream, so around whenever Facebook started accepting non academic email signups.

Or maybe back when free services like AOL started, it's been a global eternal September since y2k.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 18, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1626843618228027392

Um.. pointing out that she's poo poo and biased isn't mansplaining you loving dolt. Truly loving moronic.

Rename the show to PlantTime imo

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

keep punching joe posted:

World went to poo poo when the Internet went mainstream, so around whenever Facebook started accepting non academic email signups.

Or maybe back when free services like AOL started, it's been a global eternal September since y2k.

the time around where "don't give out any personal details on the internet" stopped being a thing

all gone the way of the web ring, hit counter and guestbook

goddamn I miss the late 90s/early aughts internet

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DesperateDan posted:

the time around where "don't give out any personal details on the internet" stopped being a thing

I miss the days when online shopping was a thrilling roll of the dice. You might get what you ordered in five months, you might have your account emptied.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boy do I have some exciting news for you about crypto!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DesperateDan posted:

I also miss when I was young

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

forkboy84 posted:

I also miss when I was young

in that case then I miss saturday mornings spent doing nothing more than playing on my NES and eating half a dozen rounds of toast with absolutely no responsibilities whatsoever a lot more than the internet

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I remember when people were advised not to deal with companies that only had mobile phone numbers.
So many very small businesses these days only have mobiles.
Also when you were supposed to prove you were a legit business by having headed paper. (I saw that somewhere very recently for the first time in 20 years?)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Despite being the same age as me (mid 30s and falling apart :negative:) my wife never grew up with internet at home when she was a kid and so completely missed getting “don’t tell random people on the internet things like your full name and where you live” drummed into her

I have a little internal freakout every time she meets some new friend playing calladoody or whatever and is giving them her whole life story over voice chat within 5-10 minutes because it’s just not what you do

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Have you had the talk with her about not being lured into a van by a chocolate bar tied to a piece of string?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Diet Crack posted:

Um.. pointing out that she's poo poo and biased isn't mansplaining you loving dolt. Truly loving moronic.
man's plane nnnngggg :fap:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Also when you were supposed to prove you were a legit business by having headed paper. (I saw that somewhere very recently for the first time in 20 years?)

GDPR rules are influencing that.
My work, we used to accept a pic of ID as proof you are the customer.
Now we can't ask for that, so instead we ask for a bill showing your name and address on it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Diet Crack posted:

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1626843618228027392

Rename the show to PlantTime imo

I miss how when she was out people would chant "Sack Kay Burley" like a football chant.

This was the closest I found on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqBbbuBIlKw

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pistol_Pete posted:

The human body is remarkably unhappy in low-oxygen environments and will go from unconsciousness to irreversible brain damage to death in a remarkably short number of breaths. You'd think that as people can hold their breath for a minute or two with no ill effects, they'd equally be able to breathe in air lacking oxygen for a bit with no ill effects, but nope.

I've wondered why that is. My guess is that as you're not holding your breath you are getting rid of what would be stored oxygen in your lungs and replacing it with some completely useless alternative.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Maybe it’s something to do with how our hosed up bodies are wired backwards to respond to the buildup of CO2 instead of to a lack of oxygen.

Lizard brain just goes “well there’s no CO2 so clearly there’s no problem wait why’s it all going da-“

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

History Comes Inside! posted:

LizardMammal brain just goes “well there’s no CO2 so clearly there’s no problem wait why’s it all going da-“
Reptiles, amphibians, and fish aren't as broken in lacking the ability to detect the most important chemical for their respiration.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've wondered why that is. My guess is that as you're not holding your breath you are getting rid of what would be stored oxygen in your lungs and replacing it with some completely useless alternative.

The oxygen bound to haemoglobin in your blood across a very narrow range of oxygen concentrations (partial pressures). If you're holding your breath there is still oxygen left in the stale air in your lungs to "hold" the oxygen in the blood as it were. As long as the oxygen content in your tissue is lower than the air it will still transfer ableit less and less well.

If you breath in 0% oxygen air everything goes into reverse...

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1626890348361310209

gently caress, am I a boomer now for thinking this is a bit ridiculous? Why can’t the Twits be ugly, are we afraid of offending people who identify with Mr or Mrs Twit? And I can’t say I remember the Oompa Loompas being particularly gendered one way or the other anyway?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's weird in the sense that gendered oompa loompa is the least objectionable thing about their backstory, which is that this weird chocolate industrialist kidnapped a tribe of people from africa and paid them in cocoa beans to work and live in his factory and they're actually very happy about it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Somehow I feel like "enormous" is more rude than "fat"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jrschlosberg/status/1626926542189101057

Ah well, nevertheless.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Next they'll be removing all of the extremely racist and misogynistic poo poo from Enid Blyton books.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

TACD posted:

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1626890348361310209

gently caress, am I a boomer now for thinking this is a bit ridiculous? Why can’t the Twits be ugly, are we afraid of offending people who identify with Mr or Mrs Twit? And I can’t say I remember the Oompa Loompas being particularly gendered one way or the other anyway?

this kind of utter drivel is everywhere these days and it's no surprise to see it coming from the guardian :mad:

that is not how you use an apostrophe

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

keep punching joe posted:

Next they'll be removing all of the extremely racist and misogynistic poo poo from Enid Blyton books.

Many years since I read these but I do recall George (maybe 10 years old in the books) wanting to be a boy and be treated like a boy. Would that be too woke these days?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
anyway mrs trunchbull is a oval office

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
no two ways about it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe we should just promote some new children's authors who never went on record to say that Hitler was right about Jews instead of just bowdlerizing the horrible old oval office a bit.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1626941176711462912?t=ta5ehzEOuWgynAjOm_MFhg&s=19

Oh-ho-ho, how we love to laugh about being terminally crushed by the right wing

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'm off to see keir's a bought-and-paid-for shill who in the face of a broken economy and sundered society gets off on the idea of footering around the edges with tougher fines for dog fouling and making a show of sending the country's worst off to classes to be taught not to spend their money on large televisions and class A drugs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Reckon class A eggs are a bigger money sink now.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

It's weird in the sense that gendered oompa loompa is the least objectionable thing about their backstory, which is that this weird chocolate industrialist kidnapped a tribe of people from africa and paid them in cocoa beans to work and live in his factory and they're actually very happy about it.

He rewrote the Oompa Loompas himself. In the original version they were literally black African pygmies

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've noticed quite a few Labour MPs who seem to be writing "ECHR" instead of "EHRC".

It's almost as though they are trying to misrepresent the power of the EHRC ruling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

He rewrote the Oompa Loompas himself. In the original version they were literally black African pygmies

Is there a later revision of the text I haven't read? Because yeah that's what they are in the version I read.

fuctifino posted:

I've noticed quite a few Labour MPs who seem to be writing "ECHR" instead of "EHRC".

It's almost as though they are trying to misrepresent the power of the EHRC ruling.

Be fair, they might just be very stupid and not know the difference.