Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Which playstation versions got memed about as not having any games? Was it just 3 and 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

WarEternal posted:

Paul Shaffer. You don't want the songwriting Jon Schaffer lol.

Isn't Jon Schaffer the guy from Anaconda?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

VostokProgram posted:

Which playstation versions got memed about as not having any games? Was it just 3 and 5

Yeah, 1 2 and 4 had many games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
in retrospect i think ps3 has more games than 4

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ps4: bloodborne

ps3: drakengard 3, mgs4, original demons souls

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
PS4 might have more games on paper but PS3 had more games I liked

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if you could play one videogame what would it be

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Waluigi

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Live A Live: This is a story about an old kung fu master, please name his martial art
My Gundam-poisoned brain: THE EAST IS BURNING RED

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

did you ever play my mario maker 2 level Waluigi Ware?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

if i was only gonna play one game forever i would pick Guilty Gear: Strive
fighting games are one of those genres where the biggest source of depth is your interactions with other players so even after playing the same game for decades you can still be learning new stuff and improving. and strive is my favorite fightan game
learning, exploring, discovering cool new things is my favorite thing about video games

also great for playing with buds irl or online since you only need one person to get a game going

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

okay chat thread, I see why folks were hyped for Returnal making it to PC finally. Good game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Khanstant posted:

A copy of unreal engine because then i could eventually make Every Game

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

HopperUK posted:

They added Game Boy to Nintendo Online and I picked up Tetris last night meaning to play for ten minutes and it became completely absorbing just like it used to all those years ago. It's just perfect.

Does it let you hold the switch vertically like a Game Boy?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

dlrry posted:

Does it let you hold the switch vertically like a Game Boy?

omg I don't know, mine's docked. That'd be great though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have had access to Returnal for a long time but haven't tried it yet lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if i was only gonna play one game forever

no, not one game forever, i'm asking if you could play a game, what would the game be. Not like the title of it, like what is it, what is it being. What is a videogame be if you could play it? In other words, if you couldn't play the game what wouldn't it ain't be unlike?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have had access to Returnal for a long time but haven't tried it yet lol

Try it, it's real good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
skinamarink was a profoundly uncomfortable film

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Been revisiting old school game music 'restorations' lately. What exactly is a restoration? My layman's understanding is that when you had music on consoles like the SNES, the songs were being recorded with the same synthesizers you would use in any kind of music production. Since SNES cartridges only had 2-4 mb of space, the music would have to be extremely compressed to fit. These days for those of us who still download music, you might have 320 kbps mp3s or lossless FLAC files, but when this music was recorded for the SNES, imagine like, a 16 kbps mp3, or even shittier. I assume there would be some sort of mastering process to make the final output sound more optimized for the SNES. In some cases, some sounds just sound better when they are compressed, much like pixel graphics look better on older CRT displays. That doesn't change the fact that how the song is supposed to sound is drastically different, mostly for the better, sometimes for the worse.

A restoration aims to figure out which samples, synths, instruments, etc were used when making the track via various means (sometimes trial and error, sometimes datamining, etc) and recreate the track from scratch in a modern DAW. There are various creators on youtube who like to do this, and they apply their own takes on what kind of mixing, post production, etc they want to add to the tracks, so you get varied results. The creators must also fill for instruments they can't identify with 100 percent certainty. Some are way more accurate to the original sound, others sound wildly different. Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv3IAbLJtUc Super Metroid, Maridia water area original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBlPFi0mXeA Super Metroid, Maridia water area restored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMOa3rjtHkE Final Fantasy 6, boss battle original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsujJU4Zmxo Final Fantasy 6, boss battle restored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUGU_Zlf9tU Donkey Kong Country 2, Disco Train original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLUOwMeeGDI Donkey Kong Country 2, Disco Train restored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQG5YL8Vg4k Chrono Trigger, Lavos 2 original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7pfUU2PXXA Chrono Trigger, Lavos 2 restored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVhAkQuZvLQ Super Mario World Athletic original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxKTbcs1t7M Super Mario World Athletic restored

I'm sure there are more creators of these sorts of things around. Anyone know of other notable ones?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
those are great, the restorations are in most cases just a better sounding version, while others really benefit from the lofi crushing. athletic song sounds fantasticwith a real sounding piano

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They didn’t yoshify it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Khanstant posted:

those are great, the restorations are in most cases just a better sounding version, while others really benefit from the lofi crushing. athletic song sounds fantasticwith a real sounding piano

sounds a lot like cuphead

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jay Rust posted:

They didn’t yoshify it

I think you can find an alternate version with the bongos.

The parts of these tracks that really get me the most are stuff like the scream sample in the disco train one. It's a world of difference.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

They didn’t yoshify it

I already had this viewed for some reason lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJxQPcoENm4

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's a restored version of the best song from Wario Land 4 (the weird theme that plays during the escape sequences at the end of each level) but idk enough about that stuff to know if it's better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDSoDDx-GTI

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 18, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VostokProgram posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaWZLOll4cY

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

had a lovely time playing more Wild Hearts this evening, got some fancy new clothes, beat up a squirrel that makes dolphin sounds and got my rear end kicked by a giant chicken.

but i got to meet Cratos, love that guy

didn't have any technical issues today either!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Wild Hearts seems really good but no matter my settings it doesn't go above 40fps and feels like there's some sort of input lag issue going on

Guess I'm glad for that EA play trial thing, I can wait

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I randomly installed Void Bastards from my backlog, and this game kicks rear end.

It's a roguelite FPS game, where you raid abandoned space ships full of monsters and hazards for various junk, that you can then craft into weapons and other permanent upgrades. Each mission is about 5 minutes long, depending how it goes. Sometimes it's a clean sweep and loot operation, sometimes it's a massive clusterfuck of pratfalling on oil slicks while getting hammered by rocket turrets and ghosts.

There isn't that much to the game, most ships you enter are pretty similar, but the different modifiers and enemy combinations and everything else makes for a lot different gameplay situations. 10 hours in and I'm still getting surprised by strange emergent messes the game manages to land me in.

Very clean roguelite systems implementation as well, almost every feature in the game feels impactful.

Have these people made other games? How's the DLC? I wouldn't mind throwing some money at them if they're still active.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wild Hearts seems really good but no matter my settings it doesn't go above 40fps and feels like there's some sort of input lag issue going on

Guess I'm glad for that EA play trial thing, I can wait

Also not much of a looker compared to MH.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rinkles posted:

Also not much of a looker compared to MH.

Yeah, it's aesthetically nice but not enough to tank the performance like it does

if the 'upscale' option in settings engaged DLSS or FSR or something it would help but instead it seems to just drop the render res to sub-switch levels and call it a day

drat the umbrella is cool as gently caress though

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

VostokProgram posted:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Good morning.

https://i.imgur.com/8HW2RgU.mp4

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

StoryTime posted:

I randomly installed Void Bastards from my backlog, and this game kicks rear end.

Have these people made other games? How's the DLC? I wouldn't mind throwing some money at them if they're still active.

It's no roguelike if that's what you're looking for, but Blue Manchu made Card Hunter before VB.

e: Although they technically transferred ownership of it at some point? It's an odd situation.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 18, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

This morning I finished Chop Goblins. Retro shooter with a killer soundtrack that can be completed in under an hour, from the creator of Dusk. Charming and very funny. CHOP CHOP CHOP

So far in 2023 I have completed:

Citizen Sleeper
Vampire Survivors
Batora: Lost Haven
Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider
Hi-Fi Rush
Wanted: Dead
Chop Goblins

Up Next: Probably the next season of Diablo 3.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

This morning I finished Chop Goblins. Retro shooter with a killer soundtrack that can be completed in under an hour, from the creator of Dusk. Charming and very funny. CHOP CHOP CHOP

So far in 2023 I have completed:

Citizen Sleeper
Vampire Survivors
Batora: Lost Haven
Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider
Hi-Fi Rush
Wanted: Dead
Chop Goblins

Up Next: Probably the next season of Diablo 3.

How'd you find Wanted: Dead? There's been little-to-no coverage of it that I've seen, negative or positive, and the gameplay I saw from Maximilian Dood looked kinda clunky and stiff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's a broken, unfinished, buggy mess of a game that I enjoyed but wouldn't recommend to anyone in earnest unless they want a straight shot of early 2000s gaming. And I don't mean how you remembered it like in Hi-Fi Rush, I mean like how it actually was. Bad, but memorably so.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Looper posted:

in retrospect i think ps3 has more games than 4

i mean yeah the 4 was backward compatible with nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
my foot is backwards compatible with your rear end!!!
/