Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

when will they they interview Volodomyr Volksturm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ughhhh posted:

Doesn't the Indian mig21 bisons variants have aesa radars?

yes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If certain people can claim the F-35 is a really good fighter, actually, because despite flying like a duck with clipped wings its loaded with fancy electronics then it seems to me that loading fancy electronics into a fuselage that doesn't disintegrate in the bad weather, even a Mig-21, is reasonable.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The f35 looks like someone melted down a graphic designer's turd also

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

no matter how much the empire declined and rome became unsustainable to live in, the romans never rose up and overthrew the system. it never dramatically collapsed in a big cathartic moment. productive forces simply kept receding inexorably until the empire had withered away, ancient proto-goons lamenting its fall and foolishness the whole time, until even rome was barely a city at all. there's the same lamenting sentiment motivating certain parts of cspam discourse, a notion that the collapse of the economy or housing or the war or the biosphere must be imminent so a correction or at least final implosion can occur and, at last, free the world. a moment which never comes because empires are always running, and running is a state of perpetual falling; a moment which never comes because this is the collapse.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sladkov + posted:

THE FATE OF LDNR OFFICER CORPS IN THE RUSSIAN MINISTRY OF DEFENSE.

To begin with, it is worth explaining who we are talking about and what the problem is. During the eight years of the war, the Donbass formed its own army, the Interior Ministry (plus the Internal Troops), and the State Security Service. Accordingly, during the long years of combat operations, a large number of officers were raised, not by education and diplomas, but by their ability to command and fight in extremely harsh conditions.

They are still in charge of magnificent, combat-ready brigades and regiments.
It should be taken into account that all of these officers began to command units of the volunteer militia of the Russian Spring, and earned their authority in this armed mass of real daredevils.

In February 2022, full mobilization began in Donbass, during which rifle regiments of DNR men were assembled as early as the first day of the VVO, and their officers were appointed there as well. I emphasize, the regiments of mobilized were not formed at the ranges, but immediately at the front line, in 3 days they have already gone into battle.
They have been successfully fighting the proxy army of NATO for a year now. Without rotations and leaving to re-form after heavy losses. These are second wave Donbass commanders.

So what is the problem? And it lies in the fact that thousands of people with years of combat experience are not formally "real officers." That is because they do not have military education, often do not meet the requirements of age and health, they cannot march, they have never led conscripts in their life and in general do not know many important things which are usual for regular Russian officers of peace time. So it turns out that the situation born of the war is not suitable for peacetime. But there is no peace. Who will be at war?

I think that everyone who is actually in officer positions and ranks now should be retained. Yesterday a "fake" Donetsk officer from the reserve was leading his "fake" soldiers into Ukrainian fortifications, giving real results, and that suited everyone, now his seemingly battle-earned career is under threat.

Some will be cut off by future commissions, some have already been thrown out to civilian life, as if they were alcoholics and violators, like that same Basurin (he was fired and it is too late to drink Borjomi) and many other burnt out officers. By the way, Basurin is a symbol of the DNR army, he is the voice of the 1st Corps, he is the brand, if you like. And he is to be kicked out. And how many more will be dismissed "for incompatibility of position", or reduced from commanders to deputy commanders.

The reason is not their age or lack of education. Many officers of the DNR became real competent commanders during the war who know all the requirements of the Russian Federation. The point is something else. They can stand up and say to a Russian general: "Petr Petrovich, everything you're telling us here corresponds neither to Russian laws, nor to the army regulations, nor to military logic. And this can often turn out to be bitter truth, and the bosses do not like the truth. And neither do truth-tellers. That's all.

But the officer corps of the LDPR is Vladimir Putin's real guard, these people have proven their loyalty to the President and to Russia itself by shedding blood not for five or six years, but for nine. And so have the soldiers of the LDPR. And I, privately, can name another dozen such self-made combat commanders who have already been "asked" out of the Donbass army. It is a crime to scatter them, especially in such a bloody time.

Responsible comrades will read these lines and maybe they will think about it. And I am writing this because I have already defended this position at the highest level. It was not heard. We are throwing people out into the civilian world, who lead thousands of subordinates into battle. Why?
(from t.me/Sladkov_plus/7215, via tgsa)

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
lmao another festival

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1626311172386353154

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Slavvy posted:

I reckon the mig 21 is the best looking old timey jet

It looks like an engine with some wings and a cab strapped on, just the bare minimum you need to go really fast and blow poo poo up, a properly orcish looking fighter plane

finally some good loving opinions ITT

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Loading culture into the artillery tubes now sir, the twitter platoon is ready to fire.

What do you mean no effect?!?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Danann posted:

ukraine found enough gleb freikorps to create a whole freikorps unit

um have u considered that the ukrainian army might simply have a very large number of german history enthusiasts due to sheer coincidence?

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Slavvy posted:

It looks like an engine with some wings and a cab strapped on, just the bare minimum you need to go really fast and blow poo poo up, a properly orcish looking fighter plane

the cute little bayonet is for popping balloons

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

here's some mig 21 trivia: it existing is probably a part of why later russian planes have the insane flight characteristics, since both su-27 family and a couple later migs use the same or similar airflow properties to achieve silly things

it likely happened completely by accident during the design phase since none of the early documents mention it, but the particular delta wing design/angle allow it to fly at like 30 degrees angle of attack and not stall. it's basically more maneuverable than an f-16 despite being 20 years older. modern variants give it better radar and missiles and it's basically as capable as an f-16 but at less than quarter of the price lol. range/fuel economy's real bad tho since it's still primarily an interceptor

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hi everyone, it's me John CI- I mean John USAID here to talk about why Victor Volksgrenadier needs more money

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

here's some mig 21 trivia: it existing is probably a part of why later russian planes have the insane flight characteristics, since both su-27 family and a couple later migs use the same or similar airflow properties to achieve silly things

it likely happened completely by accident during the design phase since none of the early documents mention it, but the particular delta wing design/angle allow it to fly at like 30 degrees angle of attack and not stall. it's basically more maneuverable than an f-16 despite being 20 years older. modern variants give it better radar and missiles and it's basically as capable as an f-16 but at less than quarter of the price lol. range/fuel economy's real bad tho since it's still primarily an interceptor

By a similar vein the ww2 mosquito was a scrap desperation plane made of wood due to material shortages but because it was made of wood it had amazing flight characteristics that made it a very fast, well armed and deadly fighter for its time. Just you know, made of wood.

What did we learn from this? To make fighters from super expensive polymers held together by glue that cost half a billion dollars and need a full deep tech after a day's flight. Nothing at all.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Truga posted:

Admittedly, the MIG 21 has some stability issues in dog fights since it was designed interceptor, but Vietnamese pilots clearly learned how to fly them and utilize their advantages. The Mig 29 and Su 27 are still competitive aircraft today with only a lack of AESA really being a liability but even that is changing as India has been upgrading their MIG 29s with new Russian AESA systems (Zhuk (A)ME).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:33 on Feb 18, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mlmp08 posted:

between 15, 17, and 19, aesthetics on the 17 are just right.

This is correct but you really cannot drop the mig

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, the MIG 21 has some stability issues in dog fights since it was designed interceptor, but Vietnamese pilots clearly learned how to fly them and utilize their advantages.

Still frustrating that some people don't believe this. Same with Korea.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

Truga posted:

There's also the inlet cone which creates a localized lifting effect within the air intake at the nose when retracted at lower airspeed. This lets the plane "lever" around and pull shockingly high alpha turns for a short time (at great expense to your energy of course). It can be a very nasty surprise in a dogfight and iirc, was also not intended by the designers.

They accidentally made a fast and cheap interceptor that was also a respectable dogfighter. Such a cool plane.

edit: jogging my memory a bit, there was an incident of an Egyptian MiG-21 pilot during the Yom Kippur War in 1973 who managed to pull a split S within 3000 feet by exploiting this and the MiG-21's good thrust-to-weight, missing the ground by mere feet in one of the most ballsy maneuvers ever

Top Gun Reference has issued a correction as of 13:03 on Feb 18, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

If certain people can claim the F-35 is a really good fighter, actually, because despite flying like a duck with clipped wings its loaded with fancy electronics then it seems to me that loading fancy electronics into a fuselage that doesn't disintegrate in the bad weather, even a Mig-21, is reasonable.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Still frustrating that some people don't believe this. Same with Korea.

There is a massive amount of disinformation in the West at the moment to an extent even if someone is interested in a subject they are probably going to be misled or openly lied to especially when it comes to Youtube (which is really trash at the moment for anything military related).

Then you have a Korean War film (which is a rare sight) like Devotion showing 2 Corsairs easily beating a Mig-15 in combat (even though they only took one recorded combat loss from them during the war).

And everything else is being pumped out to people. There is an active effort to simply rewrite history.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

They used a cartoon in flight for good reason.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

There is an active effort to simply rewrite history.

This has always been the case but its in overdrive at the moment. Definitely not panic. Absolutely no long term negative consequences.

(blame people with social media brain who think they can rewrite physical reality by rewriting some text like its some kind of dumb harry potter spell)

edit - look I didn't hire them and nobody would have listened to me anyway. I'm not the person anyone listens to until after everything has gone to poo and they want a solution. Then I have to pull out the emails from 2-3 years ago where I said "doing X leads to poo". Your solution is in another castle Mario.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 13:06 on Feb 18, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i Hope we get funny clips https://twitter.com/vp/status/1626910630761431040

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

This has always been the case but its in overdrive at the moment. Definitely not panic. Absolutely no long term negative consequences.

(blame people with social media brain who think they can rewrite physical reality by rewriting some text like its some kind of dumb harry potter spell)

edit - look I didn't hire them and nobody would have listened to me anyway. I'm not the person anyone listens to until after everything has gone to poo and they want a solution. Then I have to pull out the emails from 2-3 years ago where I said "doing X leads to poo". Your solution is in another castle Mario.

It has been it is clearly overbearing at the moment and it seems like it very difficult to escape unless you make a real effort.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this is what the recommended feed looks like on pentagon wars clips these days lmfao

Top Gun Reference posted:

edit: jogging my memory a bit, there was an incident of an Egyptian MiG-21 pilot during the Yom Kippur War in 1973 who managed to pull a split S within 3000 feet by exploiting this and the MiG-21's good thrust-to-weight, missing the ground by mere feet in one of the most ballsy maneuvers ever

username/post combo :v:

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
A modern F-16 costs as much as a Su-75 for a cheap variant and as much as a Su-57 for an expensive variant.

Why yes, you could buy 3 Su-75s or 2,5 Su-57s for the cost of one F-35.

Admittedly the cost of the Su-75 might end up being considerably higher than advertised because it's a project and no one has bought it yet, but still. A spicy option for an aspiring air force.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If its not a battletech grade aerospace fighter I refused to invest my periphery holdings into their development and deployment.

Land air mechs for the preferable overpriced boondoggle.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zodium posted:

no matter how much the empire declined and rome became unsustainable to live in, the romans never rose up and overthrew the system. it never dramatically collapsed in a big cathartic moment. productive forces simply kept receding inexorably until the empire had withered away, ancient proto-goons lamenting its fall and foolishness the whole time, until even rome was barely a city at all. there's the same lamenting sentiment motivating certain parts of cspam discourse, a notion that the collapse of the economy or housing or the war or the biosphere must be imminent so a correction or at least final implosion can occur and, at last, free the world. a moment which never comes because empires are always running, and running is a state of perpetual falling; a moment which never comes because this is the collapse.

The people did, though, by turning to Germanic people as Dux, military leaders, and then the civil government too. The process you are describing was a series of people locally making the decision that an alternative form of government, if you like, better met their needs.

Diocletian, Constantine, Odoacer, Alaric, Theodoric, Justinian all gained legitimacy as alternatives to a failing system, or forces to restore it.

Also, by the time your describing, Ravenna and Constantinople were thriving, exciting, energetic cities with booming economies, better integrated into the flow of people and goods around the Mediterranean than Rome - halfway up a mountainous peninsula - was.

Nobody really cared about Rome except in symbolic terms, the importance of the Bishop of Rome, some old aristocratic families’ claim to positions in government, until the creation of the Papal State some centuries later. Even then, it was given to the Pope because it was of no use to the Holy Roman Emperor. Even then, pallia, which were extremely powerful symbols, gained their authority from the tombs of saints being located in Rome, rather than anything about the city itself.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 13:59 on Feb 18, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

A modern F-16 costs as much as a Su-75 for a cheap variant and as much as a Su-57 for an expensive variant.

Admittedly the cost of the Su-75 might end up being considerably higher than advertised because it's a project and no one has bought it yet, but still. A spicy option for an aspiring air force.

Well, the hope is from the Western side is that the SU-75 just doesn't happen in the first place because Su-57 production has been slow. That said, one could argue that once the deal with India fell through that Su-57 production simply became less of a priority as the cost of production went up.

Also, you could also argue that Russia really doesn't need a huge fleet of 5th generation fighters in the first place because it is simply inefficient in terms of cost and it would make more sense building 150-200 of them in total and simply focus on upgrading its 4th generation fleet. That is what the China seem to be doing more or less.

Russia's biggest issue probably is simply its budget and that the Kremlin has been pushing modernization on a relative shoestring (50-60B is not much when you are trying to outfit a military the size of Russia's even if they can keep costs far more controlled). That said, the US and NATO seem to really just piss money away so that has to be taken into consideration.

Frosted Flake posted:

The people did, though, by turning to Germanic people as Dux, military leaders, and then the civil government too. The process you are describing was a series of people locally making the decision that an alternative form of government, if you like, better met their needs.

Diocletian, Constantine, Odoacer, Alaric, Theodoric, Justinian all gained legitimacy as alternatives to a failing system, or forces to restore it.

Also, by the time your describing, Ravenna and Constantinople were thriving, exciting, energetic cities with booming economies, better integrated into the flow of people and goods around the Mediterranean than Rome - halfway up a mountainous peninsula - was.

Constantinople was just part of the system that kept on going, but people didn't really choose it as it is just part of the empire that avoided the worse of the decline in the Western half of the Empire (and admittedly a lot of this was geography and proximity to Egypt the "Byzantines" kept control of it until 641CE). And the rise of Germanic kingdoms was already fait accompli, they won and there wasn't much of alternative although many of them still tried to keep some Roman traditions alive.

In the case of the US, I don't think there will be a cathartic break, and I agree that much of cspam is still in bargaining mode that the system will be shocked into action at some point. But that would take something deeper in the system to provide competency and it is clear it doesn't exist.

Also, it is why the Economic thread is unfortunately unreadable because there is a constant assumption there will be a "great reset" that will fix everything for the middle class rather than the market simply being tied to interest rates and its ebb and flow are just down to energy prices for most part. It isn't really magic (but honestly a lot of cspam threads kind of have a weird culty vibe around them).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:14 on Feb 18, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You do kind of have to give it to them, because I’ll occasionally have NATO brain and lament they didn’t mass produce BTR-90s, when the BTR-82/80A is a brilliant way to accomplish the same thing - or near enough - at a fraction of the cost, using existing inventory. Similarly, the T-72B(X) upgrades, which have been up to 300 vehicles a year iirc, instead of new T-90’s or T-80’s.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

The SU-75 would have to actually exist. It’s not an airplane yet and has never flown. So no, you couldn’t buy it any more than you could buy anything else that doesn’t yet fly or function.

The country that was interested in SU-57s looked at it and decided they did not want it (India). And China is not interested in it.

The PRC developing its own aviation industry significantly and offering aircraft like the JF-17, plus the availability of F-16s have both been pretty harsh on Russia’s exports and thus ability to fund and produce real fighter aircraft.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

You do kind of have to give it to them, because I’ll occasionally have NATO brain and lament they didn’t mass produce BTR-90s, when the BTR-82/80A is a brilliant way to accomplish the same thing - or near enough - at a fraction of the cost, using existing inventory. Similarly, the T-72B(X) upgrades, which have been up to 300 vehicles a year iirc, instead of new T-90’s or T-80’s.

Arguably, their budget has been holding back modernization that probably should have happened before this kicked off but at the same time the Kremlin is clearly trying to avoid the situation the Soviets faced when their military/aerospace budget was unsustainable versus oil exports. The Russians are very deliberate not extending themselves too far, and it is part of the reason that sanctions haven't have the effect that was hoped.

That said, it is certainly a mixed bag because more high priced projects like the T-14 (and the family based on it) have been put on the back-burner and SU-57 production has been slow, but at the same time the Russians shown legacy systems like the T-72/T-80/T-90 and the Mig-31 were are still very capable and modernization has allowed them to utilize their existing resources much more efficiently. Obviously, you have other drawbacks like the fact that Russian UCAV development was behind and still open issues with its surface navy. Basically, as everyone has been saying the Russian military is a land of contrasts. (Also, you have legacy systems like SPGs/MRLS/Gun artillery that clearly shows how effective it is despite not being new or fancy.)

Also, Russia is very much still exporting "real" jet aircraft along with modernizing existing air fleets. It is a rather ridiculous narrative tbh.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:25 on Feb 18, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

"Good enough" is often better than "good".

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

"Good enough" is often better than "good".

we're going to perfect ukraine's air defenses with... *checks notes* one (1) patriot battery

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Considering T72b3m losses, even doubting sources like oryx, that rate of replenishment isn't enough which implies that in this case a little more quality might help. APS should probably become a minimum standard even for the budget option. But im a layman so I'm probably missing the bigger picture in all the data and impressions.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The BTR-90 with BMP-3 turret, 100mm gun and all, is p sick tho ngl.

e: Plus if they had done it, maybe we could get a modernized Cougar, which would also slap

(This, but on a modern LAV)

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:30 on Feb 18, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Delta-Wye posted:

we're going to perfect ukraine's air defenses with... *checks notes* one (1) patriot battery

Good, but not good enough.

Proves my point.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

Considering T72b3m losses, even doubting sources like oryx, that rate of replenishment isn't enough which implies that in this case a little more quality might help. APS should probably become a minimum standard even for the budget option. But im a layman so I'm probably missing the bigger picture in all the data and impressions.

The issue is APS system often aren't foolproof and depending on the configuration have issues working in close proximity with infantry.

Also, to be honest, it isn't really clear about the extend of T72b3m losses because there just aren't trust worthy sources out there. It isn't that they haven't been lost but that there are being lost in enormous quanities or there is something specifically wrong with the design versus similar tanks. I mean even Oryx is saying 95 T-72 TB3Ms were destroyed and a lot of their images are really ify and unidentifiable.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:45 on Feb 18, 2023

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/arusbridger/status/1626880489846935553?t=7aymqQZFnfbRA9XGi5XS0A&s=19

Goon project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Also, Russia is very much still exporting "real" jet aircraft along with modernizing existing air fleets. It is a rather ridiculous narrative tbh.

To whom? Which sales are you referring to and in what quantities? Iran supposedly cut a deal for about 6 squadrons in exchange for USVs.

India is debating a deal for about 3 squadrons of fighters and upgrades for 5 legacy squadrons.

Otherwise, sales are pretty low for the SU-35, which was Russia’s best export bet. The SU-57 looks dead in the water, and the SU-75 is a nonflying demo piece so far.

Egypt cancelled its SU-35 deal. The SU-35 lost the bid for Brazil, and Brazil went for F-18s before getting very mad at the US for US spying and buying Gripens instead.

A lot of the countries that bought SU-30s 15-20 (Malaysia, Indonesia) years ago are in the process of debating whether to refurbish or replace with another type (or buy secondhand MiG or SU models rather than new build). India opted out of the SU-35.

Russia’s Yak-130 trainer and light attack aircraft is a successful design and export. But that’s probably not what people think of when they say ket fighter.

Myanmar bought six SU-30s. Russia has delivered two of them. So it’s not zero, but Russian jet fighter exports are in a downward trend compared with countries developing their own or buying from the US, European firms, China, or just buying second-hand for a bargain as the major powers build new.

The SU-30 was the last big export success, and they’re largely delivered last decade or earlier. There are still some big modernization contracts potentially out there, like India potentially paying a substantial amount to upgrade their older SU-30s. But new exports, not so much.