Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favourite former IK?
This poll is closed.
metis 5 7.04%
Metis! 16 22.54%
Me, tis 18 25.35%
emits 14 19.72%
Hydrossity 18 25.35%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Khanstant posted:

no, not one game forever, i'm asking if you could play a game, what would the game be. Not like the title of it, like what is it, what is it being. What is a videogame be if you could play it? In other words, if you couldn't play the game what wouldn't it ain't be unlike?

pinball machine builder/mechanic/operator that you can play your own creations on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

verbal enema posted:

my foot is backwards compatible with your rear end!!!

i think that means your ankle is broken

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

dervival posted:

Google Rotationplasty

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Infinitum posted:

Google Rotationplasty

i heard the first rotationplasty on someone's neck really turned heads

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Played more Wild Hearts trial while waiting for the patch, managed to get it to run at 60fps by running on medium which sucks but it's fine for now. Really enjoy the Nodachi since it's a baby mode version of MH GS lol. Being able to move and dodge while charging up is great for people like me who are terrible at thinking 3 steps ahead for those perfect hits.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

dervival posted:

hey dont take red foreman out of my post

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How Wanted Dead....?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

verbal enema posted:

hey dont take red foreman out of my post

rectifying this matter by posting more red foreman

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Odd Wilson posted:

rectifying this matter by posting more red foreman

This post violates the borders of the Krenim imperium lol what you gonna do about it baldy, erase me from history?!?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Odd Wilson posted:

It's no roguelike if that's what you're looking for, but Blue Manchu made Card Hunter before VB.

e: Although they technically transferred ownership of it at some point? It's an odd situation.

Wow, it's another game I've played and enjoyed. Very solid systems on that one as well, I loved the idea of a deck builder where you have to put cards in your deck as sets instead of singles. It forces you to play with weird cards you'd otherwise bin because of efficiency.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Also not much of a looker compared to MH.

monster hunter world is the most beautiful game i've ever played. the peak of what i love in video game aesthetics. i've basically accepted that no game will ever compare to it so i don't even bother trying!

that said, wild hearts does have some really neat areas. i've said "whoa!" multiple times when coming upon a view of like, a whole abandoned town with rooftops to run across, or a massive wrecked ship under a giant coral dome. very cool stuff

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

StoryTime posted:

I randomly installed Void Bastards from my backlog, and this game kicks rear end.

It's a roguelite FPS game, where you raid abandoned space ships full of monsters and hazards for various junk, that you can then craft into weapons and other permanent upgrades. Each mission is about 5 minutes long, depending how it goes. Sometimes it's a clean sweep and loot operation, sometimes it's a massive clusterfuck of pratfalling on oil slicks while getting hammered by rocket turrets and ghosts.

There isn't that much to the game, most ships you enter are pretty similar, but the different modifiers and enemy combinations and everything else makes for a lot different gameplay situations. 10 hours in and I'm still getting surprised by strange emergent messes the game manages to land me in.

Very clean roguelite systems implementation as well, almost every feature in the game feels impactful.

Have these people made other games? How's the DLC? I wouldn't mind throwing some money at them if they're still active.

The DLC adds a couple of things; there's Tydy bots, that roam around the map like pirates. Ships being cleaned by them have 1 or 2 Tydy Bots roaming around, and if they spot you they don't deal any damage, but start draining Oxygen. It also adds a new weapon (a vacuum cleaner that drains health from organic enemies, and slag from mechanical ones), and TYDY ships, which either have a lost and found (you get the choice of 1 of 3 parts, can authorize for another selection) or furnaces (have a guaranteed heart starter, but you need to find the key + deal with the wall of fire inside).

It's only 5 bucks and it adds a bit of variety, so I rather like it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Resistance 2:

I just 'sploded the Leviathan by crushing it with a bridge :hellyeah:

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

BabyRyoga posted:

Been revisiting old school game music 'restorations' lately. What exactly is a restoration? My layman's understanding is that when you had music on consoles like the SNES, the songs were being recorded with the same synthesizers you would use in any kind of music production. Since SNES cartridges only had 2-4 mb of space, the music would have to be extremely compressed to fit. These days for those of us who still download music, you might have 320 kbps mp3s or lossless FLAC files, but when this music was recorded for the SNES, imagine like, a 16 kbps mp3, or even shittier. I assume there would be some sort of mastering process to make the final output sound more optimized for the SNES. In some cases, some sounds just sound better when they are compressed, much like pixel graphics look better on older CRT displays. That doesn't change the fact that how the song is supposed to sound is drastically different, mostly for the better, sometimes for the worse.

A restoration aims to figure out which samples, synths, instruments, etc were used when making the track via various means (sometimes trial and error, sometimes datamining, etc) and recreate the track from scratch in a modern DAW. There are various creators on youtube who like to do this, and they apply their own takes on what kind of mixing, post production, etc they want to add to the tracks, so you get varied results. The creators must also fill for instruments they can't identify with 100 percent certainty. Some are way more accurate to the original sound, others sound wildly different. Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv3IAbLJtUc Super Metroid, Maridia water area original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBlPFi0mXeA Super Metroid, Maridia water area restored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMOa3rjtHkE Final Fantasy 6, boss battle original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsujJU4Zmxo Final Fantasy 6, boss battle restored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUGU_Zlf9tU Donkey Kong Country 2, Disco Train original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLUOwMeeGDI Donkey Kong Country 2, Disco Train restored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQG5YL8Vg4k Chrono Trigger, Lavos 2 original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7pfUU2PXXA Chrono Trigger, Lavos 2 restored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVhAkQuZvLQ Super Mario World Athletic original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxKTbcs1t7M Super Mario World Athletic restored

I'm sure there are more creators of these sorts of things around. Anyone know of other notable ones?

This kind of thing would be perfect for GBA games. The only thing I didn't like about the GBAvania collection on Switch was how bad the music sounded. I wonder why Nintendo didn't bother putting a real audio chip in the system.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

dlrry posted:

This kind of thing would be perfect for GBA games. The only thing I didn't like about the GBAvania collection on Switch was how bad the music sounded. I wonder why Nintendo didn't bother putting a real audio chip in the system.

CotM and Aria both sound perfectly fine though. Harmony of Dissonance sounding like an angry cell phone was kind of a unique problem for it.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

Dewgy posted:

CotM and Aria both sound perfectly fine though. Harmony of Dissonance sounding like an angry cell phone was kind of a unique problem for it.

Huh, maybe I should play it again. I remember all the games having really low quality audio.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The teamwork element of Wild Hearts is really cool. I was charging up my nodachi for a big attack and another guy built fortnite blocks under me so it let me launch into the air for an even more damaging attack which killed the monster. Felt super cool!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
posting to remind everyone the AvP beat em up whips rear end

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

Relax Or DIE posted:

posting to remind everyone the AvP beat em up whips rear end

Such a shame it never came home

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1627038705948176384?s=20

Lies of P is launching on Gamepass

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

can Wild Hearts, in fact, be broken

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

BabyRyoga posted:

Been revisiting old school game music 'restorations' lately. What exactly is a restoration? My layman's understanding is that when you had music on consoles like the SNES, the songs were being recorded with the same synthesizers you would use in any kind of music production. Since SNES cartridges only had 2-4 mb of space, the music would have to be extremely compressed to fit. These days for those of us who still download music, you might have 320 kbps mp3s or lossless FLAC files, but when this music was recorded for the SNES, imagine like, a 16 kbps mp3, or even shittier. I assume there would be some sort of mastering process to make the final output sound more optimized for the SNES. In some cases, some sounds just sound better when they are compressed, much like pixel graphics look better on older CRT displays. That doesn't change the fact that how the song is supposed to sound is drastically different, mostly for the better, sometimes for the worse.

A restoration aims to figure out which samples, synths, instruments, etc were used when making the track via various means (sometimes trial and error, sometimes datamining, etc) and recreate the track from scratch in a modern DAW. There are various creators on youtube who like to do this, and they apply their own takes on what kind of mixing, post production, etc they want to add to the tracks, so you get varied results. The creators must also fill for instruments they can't identify with 100 percent certainty. Some are way more accurate to the original sound, others sound wildly different. Here are some examples:

I'm sure there are more creators of these sorts of things around. Anyone know of other notable ones?
Not exactly a restoration, but the original demo masters of the Sonic 1 and 2 OST from before conversion to the Genesis sound chip are floating around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_79pNLi3GNQ

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dlrry posted:

I think GBA games in general had quite a bit of level-up so to speak from SNES in terms of sound, because of the additional storage space. Of course they were still cartridge based games, but they had 32 mb and 64 mb capacity carts, so some ports of games (like DKC and FF4 for example) had higher-quality versions of the original tracks. It was still quite imperfect obviously, like going from 1/16th of CD quality to 1/4th of CD quality or something, but the distinction is there on some games.

I remember some clown actually made a mod for the GBA version of FF4 that "restored" the music back to SNES quality when they were in reality just downgrading it a bunch.

I'm sure if stuff like this picks up more steam, eventually you'll find someone that properly restores all the GBA Castlevania games. It just takes time and interest to happen.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

BabyRyoga posted:

I think GBA games in general had quite a bit of level-up so to speak from SNES in terms of sound, because of the additional storage space. Of course they were still cartridge based games, but they had 32 mb and 64 mb capacity carts, so some ports of games (like DKC and FF4 for example) had higher-quality versions of the original tracks. It was still quite imperfect obviously, like going from 1/16th of CD quality to 1/4th of CD quality or something, but the distinction is there on some games.

I remember some clown actually made a mod for the GBA version of FF4 that "restored" the music back to SNES quality when they were in reality just downgrading it a bunch.

I'm sure if stuff like this picks up more steam, eventually you'll find someone that properly restores all the GBA Castlevania games. It just takes time and interest to happen.

Lmao I remember playing that hack of Final Fantasy 4 and thinking what the gently caress happened

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is Atomic Hearts probably going to be a bad game?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Cool! Gonna repost this to the Xbox thread :hfive:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

YOU LIED

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lies of Pee

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I said come in! posted:

Is Atomic Hearts probably going to be a bad game?

We find out next week, but all the previews look really cool.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

atomic heart looks pretty good visually, if nothing else, and getting mick gordon's guitar in your game already gives it a few stars more in my appraisal

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
A buddy of mine who has rage-uninstalled Sekiro multiple times is finally getting towards the end of it, he just made it to Fountainhead Palace and I could not be more pleased. :allears:

Damned good week for video games overall, gonna be a hard one to top.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

There's been a bit of discussion about Atomic Hearts Wild Hearts in the Monster Hunter megathread's last couple pages, if anyone's interested.

e: I'm an idiot

dervival fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 19, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

dervival posted:

There's been a bit of discussion about Atomic Hearts in the Monster Hunter megathread's last couple pages, if anyone's interested.

Too many "Hearts" games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

atomic fart

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I got interested when the Atomic Hearts trailer with Jensen Ackles dropped, I thought he was in it. But it's just a cameo for the ad. :sigh:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did they literally hire him on Cameo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Atomic Hearts just sounded like a gun violence game so I didn't even look at it to check.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

dervival posted:

There's been a bit of discussion about Atomic Hearts in the Monster Hunter megathread's last couple pages, if anyone's interested.

Atomic Hearts is a different game to Wild Hearts which is what they're actually talking about in the monhun thread lol.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Atomic Hearts just sounded like a gun violence game so I didn't even look at it to check.

Gun violence as opposed to Gun hugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Infinitum posted:

Gun violence as opposed to Gun hugs
Gun hugs are against the Geneva Conventions