Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I personally feel like switch and PC are the one true way.

That might just be because I’m not really interested in any PlayStation exclusives.

At this point I'm PC+Playstation, and basically dread having to use my Switch for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

At this point I'm PC+Playstation, and basically dread having to use my Switch for anything.

Ryujinx, and why Playstation? Just watch the whole game in 4 hours on youtube. It's not like the gameplay ever changes in those games

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

TraderStav posted:

As someone who hasn't played any of the divinity series, no issues starting with this one? Have been binging From Software games since I started DS1 last year and looking for something different before tackling the PS-only versions of the games (and secretly hoping that a PC release of BB or DeS comes out in the interim, since I don't own a PS)

i haven't even played any of the other ones. DOS2 is the one to start with, yeah.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I personally feel like switch and PC are the one true way.

That might just be because I’m not really interested in any PlayStation exclusives.

This is exactly how I feel, wow.

On a separate note, sometimes I like to chill with a nice game of poker. Does anyone have any recommendations for good poker games on Steam? Preferably none of the Poker Night at the Inventory games. Just something that has that chill vibe, kind of like how Uno felt way back on XBLA, though this doesn't have to have multiplayer.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is exactly how I feel, wow.

On a separate note, sometimes I like to chill with a nice game of poker. Does anyone have any recommendations for good poker games on Steam? Preferably none of the Poker Night at the Inventory games. Just something that has that chill vibe, kind of like how Uno felt way back on XBLA, though this doesn't have to have multiplayer.

PC + Switch has been the winning combo for the like 4 years or so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

VS runs like crap on my new 64 Deck :( Is there a configuration that helps? I'm using the "Reduce GPU Lag" config but I'm in the mid-teens within a few minutes and single digits towards the end of a run.

Yeah VS isn’t going to run well on the deck till they move to the new graphics engine. I guess it’s using some weird Java BS now but it’s slated to move to unity soon (ish).

It works but it doesn’t work well imo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

VS is perfectly playable in 99% of scenarios on the deck, what is wrong with all of your decks?

There’s a little slowdown towards the end of a run but if you’ve gotten to that point you’re mostly just waiting to run the timer down anyway while the screen constantly explodes and it’s only slightly behind realtime

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don’t really care for the 20fps the last 10 min of the run tbh.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CBD Corndog posted:

AND Valve is finally rolling out local game transfers in the beta branch which whips rear end
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/46BD-6BA8-B012-CE43

lmao they do this literally the day I installed my 1tb SSD.

I’m a moron regardless because I just realized I probably could have transferred RDR2 to my microSD card before I swapped SSDs.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Barreft posted:

Ryujinx, and why Playstation? Just watch the whole game in 4 hours on youtube. It's not like the gameplay ever changes in those games

Because a life without Bloodborne isn't worth living.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That actually makes it run worse (it’s meant for REALLY OLD pcs). Just use the regular launch and yeah it’ll struggle a bit once you get a run going.

That did the trick. Thank you!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

FPS tanking into single digits at the end of a VS run is how you know it's gone well.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Barreft posted:

Because I like the games and generally prefer playing games on console?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Barreft posted:

:hai:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

TraderStav posted:

As someone who hasn't played any of the divinity series, no issues starting with this one? Have been binging From Software games since I started DS1 last year and looking for something different before tackling the PS-only versions of the games (and secretly hoping that a PC release of BB or DeS comes out in the interim, since I don't own a PS)

Nah, you're good to start with D:OS2. I think 2 takes place like a thousand years after the first one or someone absurd like that. There's a couple references here or there to characters in the first one, but you're not missing anything if you don't get them.

The game lets you make your own character or to use a sort of premade origin (the race and background is fixed but you can still make any of them whatever class you like), and if you haven't played the first game I wouldn't recommend starting as Fane. His storyline is a little more tied up with the first game than the rest, and playing as a skeleton has somewhat different combat mechanics than the other races.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d like to know this too

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

Because I like the games and generally prefer playing games on console?

Yikes

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The yikes is for the weirdly aggressive console fanboys in a PC gaming thread.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The steam deck rules specifically because it lets me access my PC games library off my desktop. I just don't like sitting at the computer playing games, sorry.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Soysaucebeast posted:

Nah, you're good to start with D:OS2. I think 2 takes place like a thousand years after the first one or someone absurd like that. There's a couple references here or there to characters in the first one, but you're not missing anything if you don't get them.

The game lets you make your own character or to use a sort of premade origin (the race and background is fixed but you can still make any of them whatever class you like), and if you haven't played the first game I wouldn't recommend starting as Fane. His storyline is a little more tied up with the first game than the rest, and playing as a skeleton has somewhat different combat mechanics than the other races.

Cheers, thank you! Gonna grab it next time it's on sale.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

What’s the current state of playing the Dead Space remake on Deck? Anyone done so and had a good time? Or are the compromises too much?

Cramming AAA games into running on this thing isn’t really what I use my Deck for, but that remake seems so good I think I’ve got to check it out.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Has anyone gotten ZX Spectrum running under EmuDeck (or just RetroArch in general)?

I put the fuse directory in my BIOS folder, as instructed here. However, the emulator fails to load just as it failed without the fuse directory in place at all.

When I Google for answers other people make it sound like it worked out of the box, which is not my experience.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Sounds like the trouble I have with the Colecovision. It shows up in Emustation but nothing plays.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Has anyone gotten ZX Spectrum running under EmuDeck (or just RetroArch in general)?

I put the fuse directory in my BIOS folder, as instructed here. However, the emulator fails to load just as it failed without the fuse directory in place at all.

When I Google for answers other people make it sound like it worked out of the box, which is not my experience.
BIOSes go in a dedicated BIOS directory for Emudeck; all of them go in the same directory. Where exactly that directory is depends upon whether you installed it on your internal storage or on an SD card. On mine - installed on an SD - it's something like run\media\mmcblk0p1\Emulation\bios IIRC, I don't feel like hooking the thing up to the dock to go into Desktop mode and look it up right now, because it's almost bedtime for me. But following the directions in the emulator's help page won't work, because part of the setup Emudeck does is redirecting the emulators to look for their BIOSes to where it wants them to look, and not where they do by default.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

oh God I don't need to start thinking about emulating the Spectrum on my Deck. Why yes I do own a gaming PC and a Switch and a Deck, and I just spent four hours playing fuckin Disco Dan or some poo poo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I once spent 3 hours making Spectrum emulation work on a Raspberry Pi to spend half an hour playing BMX Simulator.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RDR2 finally works on my Steam Deck again. And I didn’t completely lose my save, it’s just outdated by a few hours. I’ll take it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What was wrong with it if you don’t mind me asking? RDR2 is the first game I plan to play

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was totally fine for a long time. I exited out of it to play something else, and when trying to go back to RDR2, it wouldn’t connect to the Rockstar Social Club. Absolutely refused. And when it doesn’t connect upon when starting the game, it gives an Activation Error code and exits out of the game. It was really frustrating to get that when trying to play a single player game I bought directly on Steam. Third party launchers suck rear end.

I was going to uninstall and reinstall a few days ago but then got a shipping notification for the 1tb SSD I ordered so I figured I’d wait on it. I lost a few hours of gameplay because it uses Rockstar’s cloud save servers, not Steam’s. And since I couldn’t access it, I wasn’t able go pick up where I left off, but it’s close enough.

Otherwise the actual RDR2 experience on Steam Deck is phenomenal. I can run at a locked 30fps and look gorgeous. I wouldn’t have been so annoyed at the activation error if it wasn’t worth playing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Barreft posted:

Eh, just PC alone is a good enough combo ever since Switch games just became PC Games

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I’ve been on switch alone for about five years so getting a Deck has been downright revolutionary. Deck + Deep Rock Galactic has been loving amazing.

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
anyone able to get Dropsy working? It says it's supported, but I get a black screen after the logos. I've tried every proton version.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

History Comes Inside! posted:

None of those are the ways they should be detected out of the box.

There’s a “roms” folder in the directory emudeck sets up and in that folder are a ton of other folders for the individual systems.

The roms themselves go in the relevant folder for their system.

Yeah I finally figured out that if you set a new location for roms in the emu setup (ie your sd card), Emudeck won’t create the folders that the parsers are looking for. So you gotta create your own folders under specific names for each system that the the individuals parsers are looking for and put the roms there.

And you can’t just dump them into one folder and set all parsers to look into it, because it can’t exactly tell what’s one rom from another.

Really wish they created those folders during setup because I reckon a lot of folks are putting their roms on an external SD card. PS2 and PSX games aren’t exactly small.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 18, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

I’ve been on switch alone for about five years so getting a Deck has been downright revolutionary. Deck + Deep Rock Galactic has been loving amazing.

This was sort of my situation. I love PC gaming, but for years, I had a mac. Thanks to steam, Mac support grew, but still... And my Mac is from 2010, so it's ancient now. We got a switch in 2018, so I was all aboard any PC games that made the 'switch' over to it.

Then last year, we got a gaming laptop. And then a steam deck. So for gaming purposes, the laptop is my wife's, the Steam deck is mine. And I love it SO much.

Oh, also, I finally got Minecraft working. Yeah, there's a solution for Java using something called Prism, but I just downloaded the bedrock launcher, signed into my Google account to download it from the play store, logged into my MS account, and now I've got Bedrock Minecraft on my deck. That's the version I want, since my kids play on Switch, so this is able to do cross platform multiplayer.

So the whole thing is MUCH easier than installing Windows.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

#decklife

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You know what games I miss? The Keflings games ("Kingdom of..." and I think "World of..."). Those should come back. I'd love to chill out building up a little village. Are there similar games on Steam? I'm assuming so.

Also, as a bunch of posts have been made since I last asked, any good Poker games on Steam?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bumhead posted:

What’s the current state of playing the Dead Space remake on Deck? Anyone done so and had a good time? Or are the compromises too much?

Cramming AAA games into running on this thing isn’t really what I use my Deck for, but that remake seems so good I think I’ve got to check it out.

It runs incredibly well, there was a lot of hitching and whatnot on launch but patches and shaders have smoothed it out. I went throught he whole game 100% exclusively on the Deck and loved it.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

You know what games I miss? The Keflings games ("Kingdom of..." and I think "World of..."). Those should come back. I'd love to chill out building up a little village. Are there similar games on Steam? I'm assuming so.

Also, as a bunch of posts have been made since I last asked, any good Poker games on Steam?

Poker Night at the Inventory was fun, way back when I played it. It’s not a serious simulator type thing, though. I think there’s a sequel too.

I would also be interested in a Keflinglike :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think both poker night games are delisted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Didn’t OP literally say any poker games except poker night at the inventory lol