Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

Looks like HSBC is merging or being bought by RBC.

All my banking is through HSBC: I have a savings account, LoC, mastercard, and mortgage through them. I'm curious if anyone in the thread is an RBC enjoyer and if there are any good things to know about their products, mostly about the credit cards they offer since I'll be presumably picking one when they move over.

I specifically moved from RBC to HSBC because of account security concerns, and also their wire department kept losing incoming wires. I don't really know where I'm going to go, TD is looking likely because I've heard they have high interac limits on request and a minimum balance fee waiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i was starting my tax prep for 2022 and i just realized not only did i overcontribute to my rrsp (by a significant amount, 5 figures. i was stupid and made the same 'max out my contributions for the year' contribution to two separate rrsp accounts once in may and once in september) but i also already made my estimated 2023 max contribution earlier this week. i haven't technically overcontributed for 2023 yet because my employer offers a match and i could just stop contributing but now i'm very confused as to what my best course of action is. should i withdraw the most recent contribution while i'm still in the grace period? i don't plan on claiming it until the 2023 tax year (so next year) so i think i'm in the clear on paying taxes on it (could be wrong about this, i've never withdrawn from an rrsp. will the bank automatically withhold?). i know i'll need to file some sort of overcontribution form and pay a penalty. should i just get a tax accountant?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I would call CRA, explain the situation, and ask what to do. They’re very helpful.

I made a lesser screwup in my RRSP a few years ago and only noticed last year when I couldn’t get my spreadsheet to reconcile. Was very easy to fix myself, though it didn’t involve withdrawing an over-contribution so it was easier.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
And call them immediately. They are about to be extremely busy.

Gnoll
Nov 12, 2011
I suggest talking to a tax professional. The penalties on larger overcontribution amounts can get nasty since it's on a per month basis the funds sit in the account. Any decent accounting firm should be familiar with the best route to requesting the CRA to maybe waive things and possibly prep a T1OVP form since that one can be a bit tricky to do correctly.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Can’t you just carry forward the extra contributions? It looks like it’s on the Schedule 7. Just roll them forward until you use them up. Don’t skip the employer match.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/tax-packages-years/general-income-tax-benefit-package/5000-s7.html

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Money Advice Needed: my wife and I want to buy a minivan. My car is paid off but I’ve been told that it’s time to trade it in. My wife owes ~$4600 on her car. Is it better to pay off the remaining balance on her car (.99%) or put that money towards the down payment on anew car?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It depends on the price and interest rate on the new car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You've got a few variables here.

Value of your car
Value of your wifes car
Loan interest rate
Price of the new minivan
APR (if financed) your new minivan

Dealers LOVE loving with numbers. They're masters at it. They will happily give your more $$ for the trade, but generally it will be offset in the price/fees of the new vehicle.

You will almost certainly be better served by selling your vehicles privately (even though the market is finally showing signs of stabilizing, it's still overpriced for used IMHO) and buying the new vehicle. But sometimes people take the hit of doing a trade and just getting it all done.

When we bought our new Subaru years ago, the dealer offered me $1K less than what I could get for my trade privately based on my research with Kijiji. We had already made the deal on the new vehicle so I knew what the price was on that with no monkeying around. In that case I just went for the trade because the hassle of dealing with the mouthbreathers for potentially another $1K wasn't worth it for me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

yippee cahier posted:

Can’t you just carry forward the extra contributions? It looks like it’s on the Schedule 7. Just roll them forward until you use them up. Don’t skip the employer match.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/tax-packages-years/general-income-tax-benefit-package/5000-s7.html

Yeah there's a difference between RRSP contribution and RRSP deduction, definitely talk to a tax expert OP.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Does anyone know if there’s changes coming to TD E-Series. My TD advisor called me for the first time in 7 years and said it’s important to come down and talk about my investments.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

DariusLikewise posted:

Does anyone know if there’s changes coming to TD E-Series. My TD advisor called me for the first time in 7 years and said it’s important to come down and talk about my investments.

Haven't heard anything, but that sounds like "get them in the door" talk.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

DariusLikewise posted:

If memory serves, they’ve discontinued the e-series mutual fund account. You need one of the TD Direct Investing accounts now to purchase.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Sounds like Macklem pouring a bit of cold water on the whole "rate pause" idea

Bank of Canada might need to raise rates if companies keep raising prices, Macklem warns
High inflation provides camouflage for rising prices, warns central bank governor

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/inflation-family-column-don-pittis-1.6750879

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Anyone know if/when FHSA accounts will start being provided at banks?

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Around late April/ early May is what I've heard but take that for a grain of salt. For someone who is eligible does the FHSA have better benefits compared to the RRSP home buyers plan?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Arabian Jesus posted:

Around late April/ early May is what I've heard but take that for a grain of salt. For someone who is eligible does the FHSA have better benefits compared to the RRSP home buyers plan?

FSHAs are a combination TFSA/RRSP for first home purchases:

* Contributions to a FSHA are tax deductible (like an RRSP);
* Withdrawals to purchase a qualifying home are non-taxable (like a TFSA, but restricted to the use of purchasing a home);
* Contribution room increases each year by a set amount (like a TFSA), up to a maximum of $40,000 lifetime limit, although you will only earn contribution room and carry forward that room once you open an FSHA for the first time.
* FHSAs have a maximum timeframe to be used of 14 years after first opening an FSHA, or turning 70 years old, or using an FSHA to purchase a home, whichever is earlier.
* Funds in an FSHA can be transferred tax-free to another FSHA of the same person, or their RRSP or RRIF, on a tax-free basis and do not use up RRSP contribution room.
* Otherwise, for all other withdrawals that are not used for a qualifying home purchase and do not go into an RRSP/RRIF/FSHA, such withdrawals are considered taxable income. Also, you do not reclaim FSHA contribution room for such withdrawals.
* As the explainer in the Department of Finance backgrounder notes, the version of the bill that received Royal Assent now allows for FSHA and HBP to be used for the same qualifying home purchase.

From what I could see of Canadian finance subreddits, the preference appears to be: FSHA > TFSA> RRSP, given that FSHAs only start accumulating contribution room after you open one, and they rollover into your RRSP whether you buy a home or not and don't consume RRSP contribution room when that happens.

For more reading:
Original guidance from the Department of Finance (with a disclaimer that the Royal Assent version changed things)
CRA information for financial institutions including background information
Bill C-32 - Royal Assent version

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

AegisP posted:

FSHAs are a combination TFSA/RRSP for first home purchases:

* Contributions to a FSHA are tax deductible (like an RRSP);
* Withdrawals to purchase a qualifying home are non-taxable (like a TFSA, but restricted to the use of purchasing a home);
* Contribution room increases each year by a set amount (like a TFSA), up to a maximum of $40,000 lifetime limit, although you will only earn contribution room and carry forward that room once you open an FSHA for the first time.
* FHSAs have a maximum timeframe to be used of 14 years after first opening an FSHA, or turning 70 years old, or using an FSHA to purchase a home, whichever is earlier.
* Funds in an FSHA can be transferred tax-free to another FSHA of the same person, or their RRSP or RRIF, on a tax-free basis and do not use up RRSP contribution room.
* Otherwise, for all other withdrawals that are not used for a qualifying home purchase and do not go into an RRSP/RRIF/FSHA, such withdrawals are considered taxable income. Also, you do not reclaim FSHA contribution room for such withdrawals.
* As the explainer in the Department of Finance backgrounder notes, the version of the bill that received Royal Assent now allows for FSHA and HBP to be used for the same qualifying home purchase.

From what I could see of Canadian finance subreddits, the preference appears to be: FSHA > TFSA> RRSP, given that FSHAs only start accumulating contribution room after you open one, and they rollover into your RRSP whether you buy a home or not and don't consume RRSP contribution room when that happens.

For more reading:
Original guidance from the Department of Finance (with a disclaimer that the Royal Assent version changed things)
CRA information for financial institutions including background information
Bill C-32 - Royal Assent version

If I just bought a place, can I still open one of these and use the tax break to pay down the mortgage, or just funnel more into an RRSP?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

The NPC posted:

If I just bought a place, can I still open one of these and use the tax break to pay down the mortgage, or just funnel more into an RRSP?

No.

The requirements in order to open an FSHA from a financial institution requires that an individual be a qualifying individual. This is defined as:

quote:

qualifying individual, at a particular time, means an individual who

(a) is a resident of Canada;

(b) is at least 18 years of age; and

(c) did not, at any prior time in the calendar year or in the preceding four calendar years, inhabit as a principal place of residence a qualifying home (or what would be a qualifying home if it were located in Canada) that was owned, whether jointly with another person or otherwise, by

(i) the individual, or

(ii) a person who is the spouse or common-law partner of the individual at the particular time. (particulier déterminé)

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

AegisP posted:

No.

The requirements in order to open an FSHA from a financial institution requires that an individual be a qualifying individual. This is defined as:

Thanks. Those actually seem like reasonable restrictions. Now if I only had $ to save away in the first place...

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

AegisP posted:

I get opening a FSHA pronto to accumulate room (well sorta, seems kinda dumb and opens banks/brokerages to charging inactivity fees but whatever). I don't get strictly prioritizing contribution over TFSA. Seems like it should be grouped with RRSP? Like

1. Decide whether to prioritize FSHA/RRSP or TFSA (the age old debate).
2. If you decide FSHA/RRSP, do FSHA first.

I don't mean to shadowbox so feel free to shrug and point me at those subreddits :) Also I'm only quoting one tiny quibble from a pile of good info, thanks for all that.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

pokeyman posted:

I get opening a FSHA pronto to accumulate room (well sorta, seems kinda dumb and opens banks/brokerages to charging inactivity fees but whatever). I don't get strictly prioritizing contribution over TFSA. Seems like it should be grouped with RRSP? Like

1. Decide whether to prioritize FSHA/RRSP or TFSA (the age old debate).
2. If you decide FSHA/RRSP, do FSHA first.

I don't mean to shadowbox so feel free to shrug and point me at those subreddits :) Also I'm only quoting one tiny quibble from a pile of good info, thanks for all that.

Yea, that's the most "up to personal circumstances" aspect of the now three registered accounts people have to juggle. I agree with you that FSHA should trump RRSP in a comparison between the two (given that it's effectively extra contribution room not dependent on income), assuming you can be bothered to open one and the banks don't charge fees to maintain one or maintain one under a specific balance. Although, this becomes a complicated question in situations where your employer offers you an RRSP match, and probably shifts the other way.

Otherwise, I think the arguments for filling up an FSHA first could be: if you are planning on purchasing a house in the next 15 years (which could be a long enough timeframe for even those people who might not want to in the next 5 but feel they'll be in a better position 10 years from now to consider it), then rather than contributing to a TFSA and then withdrawing for the house purchase, you can instead do the same thing with an FSHA but get a tax break for the contributions at the same time.

Alternatively, it could just be an efficiency argument. People have had TFSAs and RRSPs for a while, and in many circumstances could likely have amassed a fair bit of contribution room which they can't fill in a single year. On the other hand, the FSHA is brand new and starts off at $8,000 max for the first year. It could simply be easier (and more fulfilling) to be able to meet that, rather than feel like you're chipping away at a mountain of contribution room you've amassed in the others.

Edit: It is at this point that I realize I have been calling it an FSHA instead of an FHSA, and gently caress it, too many 4-letter registered plan abbreviations :mad:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

there's no downside to the fhsa if you are already maxing your rrsp and tfsa contributions, correct? worst case is you never buy a home and move it to your rrsp penalty free when it expires?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

the talent deficit posted:

there's no downside to the fhsa if you are already maxing your rrsp and tfsa contributions, correct? worst case is you never buy a home and move it to your rrsp penalty free when it expires?

Correct. I suspect a lot of people will just use it for extra RRSP room rather than actually using it for a home purchase.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Thanks for the info! I wasn't sure if the new account would be tax deductible but that's good to hear

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Can anyone advise on who the least-worst RDSP provider is?

There's a list here: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/disability/savings/apply.html

I understand many banks only allow one to buy GICs or their expensive in-house mutual funds with their RDSPs. TD allows their cheaper e-series maybe?

I'll probably also open an RESP and an FHSA when those are a thing.

I don't know what I don't know. Please enlighten me!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Me limited googling seems to imply you can open a self directed RDSP account and buy ETFs like a normal registered account (https://www.td.com/ca/en/investing/direct-investing/registered-accounts/rdsp). I’d open one of those and follow the usual investing advice in the op

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
TD Direct is my leader so far. Another twist is that I'm going to have to watch out for the US PFIC rules, so I went to make sure I'm getting at least QEFs.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I have no personal experience, but in helping a family member I read through a bunch of posts on https://www.canajunfinances.com/rdsp/ that were helpful. (Family member ultimately didn’t want self directed so I didn’t get to see any of it secondhand either.) I think that blog has some TD-specific posts too as that’s where they ended up.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
oo thanks that's exactly the kind of dope I'm looking for

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I have no personal experience, but in helping a family member I read through a bunch of posts on https://www.canajunfinances.com/rdsp/ that were helpful. (Family member ultimately didn’t want self directed so I didn’t get to see any of it secondhand either.) I think that blog has some TD-specific posts too as that’s where they ended up.

Refuse to take any advice from a site that looks like this imo:

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Honestly, I am more likely to find Some Guy's lovely Personal Site more credible than The Motley Mutual Fund Marketer.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Get the self directed RDSP with TD and buy as much VGRO as you can afford.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

I believe that National Bank Direct Brokerage offer self directed RDSPs with free ETF trades.

Honey Im Homme fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 19, 2023

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

qhat posted:

Get the self directed RDSP with TD and buy as much VGRO as you can afford.

VGRO is almost certainly a PFIC.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

tagesschau posted:

What are the actual implications of this?

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Oh! So it seems they do! My first look at National only showed their relatively-lousy mutual fund options.

Anyone have thoughts about TD vs. National?

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

tagesschau posted:

I don't mind if it's a PFIC as long as it's a QEF.

The implication is that US tax filers can get hammered for holding PFICs and have to file a long and annoying form about them.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Ugh:

"Where a United States person is a unitholder in a fund that holds other Vanguard funds in its portfolio, that person is an indirect investor in the lower-tier funds and is required to file a separate Form 8621 report for each of the lower-tier funds that constitutes a PFIC."

Okay, maybe I'll just buy the USD version or Berkshire Hathaway or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

qhat posted:

What are the actual implications of this?

One year, I got a handwritten note from my accountant attached to my return letting me know that not selling them could cause my U.S. tax prep costs to triple.

I now don't own any PFICs outside my RRSP, which is about the only place you can have them that doesn't call Form 8621 into play.

IRS posted:

The time needed to complete and file this form will vary depending on individual circumstances. The estimated burden for individual taxpayers filing this form is approved under OMB control number 1545-0074 and the estimated burden for business taxpayers is approved under OMB control number 1545-0123. The estimated burden for all other taxpayers who file this form is shown below.
Recordkeeping: 16 hr., 58 min.
Learning about the law or the form: 11 hr., 24 min.
Preparing and sending the form to the IRS: 20 hr., 34 min.

That's per fund.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 19, 2023