Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Ok I don't love the new Skrillex album (maybe its a grower), but the highs are MAJOR bangers.

The Missy Elliott track is fire. I also love the first track, Tears, Inhale Exhale, and A Street I Know. Also the "drop" in Xena is dope.

The rest is kinda eh, I'll give it another try soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's really god drat good. I've been listening to teases of it a bit through Fred again... mixes but the album is still a stand out. That XENA drop absolutely blew me away. I think the album is something that immediately hits you, you love it, you get tired of it and then, days, weeks, months later, you are thinking about it and relisten only to enjoy it even more. Only time will tell.

Also apparently pt2 is coming out today?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

RAM is bad, it's their worst by far. Someone said it right here years ago: Daft Punk are great producers, and really bad songwriters.

gently caress no. I'm not the biggest fan of RAM, but even I know it is still great. This screams trying to be contrarian imo

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think when people were expecting more hard, borderline-lofi electro like their previous work, it was pretty jarring to hear them come out with an album whose biggest songs were basically funk/soul numbers with a bit of vocoder, and whose mixes were absurdly polished to the point where they're almost not even dancefloor hitters. I can see that being really off-putting if you were a diehard fan of the sounds of their previous albums. Even just hearing live acoustic drums at all is a massive departure for them.

The only parts of RAM that really bugged me were that one song Touch with the vocalist who sounds like he's trying to be Bryan Ferry, and all the stuff with Pharrell (Get Lucky is great but I wish it were just the vocoder part at the end for the entire song). The live instrumentation took some time to grow on me as I admittedly was expecting more hard driving lovely-mastered electro, but as a drummer and a lover of sequenced arpeggio synthesizers, tracks like Contact and Giorgio By Moroder make me grin and feel like I'm back behind the kit again.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The teaser for RAM with that guitar lick for Get Lucky had me hooked before the album or single came out, Nile Rodgers the GOAT.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

How in the hell am I arriving at the "RIP Daft Punk" thread with RAM hate? Yall are insane, that album is 10/10 instant classic will be part of the musical canon forever don't @ me.

Anyway, the new Skrillex is amazing. Who would have thought I would be looping a Skrillex album in TYOOL 2023? Wild.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My only complaint with Daft Punk is I feel their albums sometimes had track sequence issues in that they would occasionally just stick a clunker in and completely derail the momentum. Homework and RAM especially. Still great albums but only Discovery flowed well I think. HAA was ok but having prime time and robot rock one after another felt really stop starty.

Alive 2007 is so great just how well it flows, they really nailed the track list on that particular show.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Mister Speaker posted:

The only parts of RAM that really bugged me were that one song Touch with the vocalist who sounds like he's trying to be Bryan Ferry,

What the gently caress, that's Paul "Rainbow Connection" Williams

This slander won't stand

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I don't doubt Williams is a talented singer but that was my initial impression upon hearing the song. Actually, I'll go back and re-listen to it; just looking at the lyrics I'm remembering that it's got a very long crescendo into the refrain which I think I did enjoy more than I let on above.

New Skrillex is decent so far, nothing particularly huge about it, no tearout bangers but some very solid production as you'd expect. Interestingly, the Bladee collab and the liquid D&B tune that were posted upthread seem to be missing from the tracklist? I anticipate some extra upcoming releases, maybe with a cool B-side or two.

Someone played Rumble at the Boiler Room party last night, obviously, and while I wish I wasn't working so I could have walked into the sweet spot, even from the back of the room it still banged.

Tears, RATATA, Inhale Exhale, XENA, Hydrate and Rumble are the standouts for me. Six songs, a worthwhile album.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

New Skrillex is decent so far, nothing particularly huge about it, no tearout bangers but some very solid production as you'd expect. Interestingly, the Bladee collab and the liquid D&B tune that were posted upthread seem to be missing from the tracklist? I anticipate some extra upcoming releases, maybe with a cool B-side or two.

Someone played Rumble at the Boiler Room party last night, obviously, and while I wish I wasn't working so I could have walked into the sweet spot, even from the back of the room it still banged.

Tears, RATATA, Inhale Exhale, XENA, Hydrate and Rumble are the standouts for me. Five songs, a worthwhile album.

There is apparently, due to a tracklist posted on Skrillex's IG, an entire 2nd album. It was suppose to release today, but I don't think anyone's seen it yet. It's got a lot more collabs on it.

It might just be his 2nd project coming out sometime this year, could be soon, could be later. It's suppose to be titled "Don't Get Too Close" and you can hear a bit of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orON3Q_IURs. Who knows when it will actually release at this point.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh nice, that's good news. I like that cute li'l hedgehog. :3

I should have waited until I was done listening to comment. Supersonic (my existence) absolutely bangs as well, and while I'm not fond of Porter Robinson, Still Here (with the ones that I came with) is a great closer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know it's only February but Quest For Fire is my AOTY so far. I can't stop listening to it.

e: Holy poo poo, he just dropped the second album! :supaburn:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5TG8nNzWlr4lsL6XBURDs0?si=MvpPDlFwQcmzVp2L62e4Hw

e2: Okay, these are very different albums. This one is gonna be more polarizing, I can feel it. Many more skips on this one than QFF. I definitely prefer QFF, but DGTC has a few dope tracks too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrN-oOs_dJQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CODiSh4j1ps

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 19, 2023

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Way Back is 176bpm, Selecta is 128, dub heads gonna be mad as hell lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Way Back is 176bpm, Selecta is 128, dub heads gonna be mad as hell lol
lmao, I appreciate him running through different styles

I listened to DGTC while driving earlier and it came alive in a way it didn't while at home last night. QFF has more heat but DGTC feels like more of a party album.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Not sure if it entirely counts as EDM, but VNV Nation just dropped the first cut from the new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLYCv0ljXt4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jedit posted:

Not sure if it entirely counts as EDM, but VNV Nation just dropped the first cut from the new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLYCv0ljXt4
Wow, the last VNV Nation album I heard was Judgement and that was like 15 years ago. Didn't know that project was still going!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The REAL Goobusters posted:

gently caress no. I'm not the biggest fan of RAM, but even I know it is still great. This screams trying to be contrarian imo

I think I would challenge anyone who says RAM is great to 1. Name all or as many of the the tracks on the album that you can without looking it up, and the 2. name the tracks that they listen to regularly from it still to this day. I think if you repeated that with all their other albums you'd find RAM is the one that people don't remember and don't listen to, even with a recency bias. It's not great, it's okay, but there are some blunders and some bad rehashes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Welp, bought my flight for EDC, no going back now. Since my EDC Orlando trip got derailed by Hurricane Nicole last November, EDC Las Vegas will now be my first real festival. (I've been to 2 smaller 2 day festivals, both last year)

HOWEVER I'm sad I'm missing out on Ultra since the lineup is crazy good this year. Plus Eric Prydz is doing a HOLO set. I'm a little concerned that since he's also doing a HOLO set at Coachella that he might not even play EDC :ohdear: (I know he can't do a HOLO set at EDC since they don't let you customize the stages).

Gonna be so pissed if that's happens. Though it'll more than make up for it if I can see him in NYC or DC this year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rageaholic posted:

Wow, the last VNV Nation album I heard was Judgement and that was like 15 years ago. Didn't know that project was still going!

Yeah, it's Ronan Harris solo since 2017 though. I don't know if Mark Jackson worked on the last album, but this is the first one he definitely didn't work on.

Musically I wouldn't say you've missed the best if you haven't heard anything post-Judgement. There's still some great tracks - When Is The Future? on Noire is a banger - but it has felt a bit samey and formulaic.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

I think I would challenge anyone who says RAM is great to 1. Name all or as many of the the tracks on the album that you can without looking it up, and the 2. name the tracks that they listen to regularly from it still to this day. I think if you repeated that with all their other albums you'd find RAM is the one that people don't remember and don't listen to, even with a recency bias. It's not great, it's okay, but there are some blunders and some bad rehashes.

Lose Yourself to Dance, Touch, Get Lucky, Instant Crush, Doin' It Right, GIORGIO are memorable tracks.

I don't think it's their best but I can name most of it and still have Instant Crush on pretty often and Lose Yourself To Dance is still neat.

You're right that it's relatively weak, but I figure the songs I mentioned are high points and it's pushed Nile Rodger's legacy and gifts to a huge audience. Overall, net positive.

As a response or reaction to EDM becoming massive, it's interesting. They could've easily cashed in with some 909s and vocoder loops, but instead spent a huge amount of time and money making real recordings of all the instruments and some pretty authentic sounding vocals. Not much sampling either. The world was doing huge singles in-the-box (what album is Le7els on? I have no idea) and they went and recorded a disco record like it was 76. It's neat.

I wish that we god ALIVE 2017 very much.

well why not fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 20, 2023

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Josh Lyman posted:

Welp, bought my flight for EDC, no going back now. Since my EDC Orlando trip got derailed by Hurricane Nicole last November, EDC Las Vegas will now be my first real festival. (I've been to 2 smaller 2 day festivals, both last year)

HOWEVER I'm sad I'm missing out on Ultra since the lineup is crazy good this year. Plus Eric Prydz is doing a HOLO set. I'm a little concerned that since he's also doing a HOLO set at Coachella that he might not even play EDC :ohdear: (I know he can't do a HOLO set at EDC since they don't let you customize the stages).

Gonna be so pissed if that's happens. Though it'll more than make up for it if I can see him in NYC or DC this year.

I haven't heard anything about Eric Prydz playing in DC this year, do you have any more info on that? I'd love to catch him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Being in the crowd for this looks like it must've been such a fun experience. Just look at where it is and who they're seeing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahe9baHOWIg

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

Being in the crowd for this looks like it must've been such a fun experience. Just look at where it is and who they're seeing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahe9baHOWIg

Reminds me of Fred again...'s Boiler Room set. Imagine being in that room.

If you haven't listened to it, it's one of, if not the best performances that's ever been done. As a testament to how insane it is, that boiler room set is currently at 14M views in about 6-7 months, which is 4th or 5th on the most viewed sets, but it happened just last year, compared to 6-10 years ago like all the other highest viewed sets. It will undoubtedly take the top spot of most viewed sets of all time and I don't know what could surprass it.

Really worth watching if you haven't yet.

Also, that dude gets poo poo for stopping the set not only once, but twice, and I NEVER see his arm hit the table.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Night Danger Moose posted:

I haven't heard anything about Eric Prydz playing in DC this year, do you have any more info on that? I'd love to catch him.
No, I haven't heard anything. Hopefully he comes though :ohdear:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
That Fred Again set was where rumble first dropped, which brought all the Skrillex fans over

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Also Leave Me Like This and he uses Still Here (with the ones that I came with)

That NY set that was just linked is really drat good. Also, the sun is setting towards the end of it, had to be a wild time.

Edit: Four Tet is really good. Watch how he steps in when he needs to and essentially oversees the entire set. There are several moments where both Skrillex and Fred subtlety ask him to fix things. He kind of just sits in the background and keeps things moving. The other two even acknowledge it during the set.

I gotta listen to more of his stuff.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 21, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Here's the full MSG show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K8nQk-iZzs

Also Skrillex dropped a second album in the middle of this set

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
So glad to see Four Tet still out there gaining fans. Baby is one of my all time favorite tracks.

https://youtu.be/i1gVxKhdGPs

E: how did I miss a new Orbital album?

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=DPgqSEE6iZk&feature=share

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 21, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arms_Akimbo posted:

So glad to see Four Tet still out there gaining fans. Baby is one of my all time favorite tracks.

https://youtu.be/i1gVxKhdGPs
:agreed:

Four Tet has been putting out amazing stuff for 20+ years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWTAOwgTbu4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUYboWbVe0A

Also here's a new ODESZA track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXIM8pVXwF4

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 21, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Four Tet’s “live” (looped) streams of his record mix during the pandemic were awesome to just have on. Some really good stuff in his collection.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ShowTime posted:

If you haven't listened to it, it's one of, if not the best performances that's ever been done. As a testament to how insane it is, that boiler room set is currently at 14M views in about 6-7 months, which is 4th or 5th on the most viewed sets, but it happened just last year, compared to 6-10 years ago like all the other highest viewed sets. It will undoubtedly take the top spot of most viewed sets of all time and I don't know what could surprass it.

Also, that dude gets poo poo for stopping the set not only once, but twice, and I NEVER see his arm hit the table.
Watching it now and it's super hype:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0-hvjV2A5Y

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I know I've said it before and it's probably not a popular opinion, but Fred Again's music is criminally boring, there's nothing special about his Maschine finger drumming, and lmao I just discovered he's the very definition of a nepo baby. His parents are like, lawyers to the Crown or some poo poo. gently caress him.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wait until you look up Flume lol

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

well why not posted:

wait until you look up Flume lol

Oh yeah, I'm aware. It's an unfortunate reality in the arts that a lot of people who achieve that level of stardom have all the safety nets and legs-up in the world. At least Flume was kind of pioneering in the 'future bass' realm though. Grimes, too, who is dumber than a crate of anvils and whose parents are a Crown lawyer and a banker, at least had something unique going on. Nothing about Fred Again's music is unique or novel.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

boler room set rankings:

1. james ferraro

2. i've never seen any other ones

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ShowTime posted:

Baby shark dance has 12 billion views

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

I know I've said it before and it's probably not a popular opinion, but Fred Again's music is criminally boring, there's nothing special about his Maschine finger drumming, and lmao I just discovered he's the very definition of a nepo baby. His parents are like, lawyers to the Crown or some poo poo. gently caress him.

I'm not in total disagreement with you. In fact, much of that Boiler Room set actually relies on Skrillex tracks.

It is a good set though and looks like it would be a fun time. But I don't really listen to any of this stuff outside of when it's part of a show like that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Fred again... is great live, but boring on record.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Being rich doesn't make you a nepo baby, it just means you have a safety net. Fred would be a nepo baby if his dad worked at Abbey Road or whatever.

An actual nepo baby would be ... any of the people whose names are on the Infinity Pool poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You don't think you can buy exposure, access, even 'your own' music via ghost producers? Lmao dude the CEO of Goldman Sachs played a DJ set at Lollapalooza.

Oh yeah and Brian Eno is Fred Again's godfather or something, so again, gently caress him.