Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Unkempt posted:

Blyton did plenty of public school shenanigans books too, hers were Mallory Towers iirc.

And they've always edited kids books, the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I read in the mid 70s had him finding a 50p piece, which didn't exist when it was originally written.

Mallory Towers - I so wanted to there and have a chocolate brown pleated tunic with orange sash. When I did eventually win a free day place at a 'posh' girls' school I lasted a year - hated it and skived a lot.

She did Noddy and Big Ears too. I think they've changed some of that years ago. Also The Faraway Tree. I wanted to go there too.

Not Blyton but we still read original version Little Black Sambo at school in the 60s. Apparently when it was written on 1899 it was considered the first positive book with a black hero.

I'm not really in favour of changing the wording. I think do what someone up thread said put a 'warning' on them. I think learning how societal values change is part of growing up too.

I enjoy Agatha Christie books and she spanned over 50 years of writing. Seeing how she reflects the society around her and how it changes in that time is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Ol' Georges Remi another good example of an author growing and learning?

Unlike, y'know, her.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AOL was not free. That's why they spent millions mass-mailing floppy disks and CDs to get people to sign up. There were craft projects based on "how do you use up all your AOL CDs?"

And you had to pay local dialup charges on top before they introduced free phone numbers (but you could still locally dial in if you got frustrated with permanent engaged signals on the free phone numbers). My monthly internet including dialling in was over £50 in the late 90s.

I remember the day I discovered I didn't need to use the AOL interface to get on line but could press the internet explorer button instead.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HopperUK posted:

Yeah kids still read books.

Fucken NERDS

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Hah! Convoluted clients to get online when all they actually did was set up and hide Windows DUN. I had the free 56k thing from NTL when I got a cable box, the "free" catch was it dropped after 2 hours online. Bin the client, set up DUN yerself, set it to autoredial when dropped, wallop, "always online". Windows 98SE, my beloved.

They should hurry up and mature and watch M*rvel movies and post on forums like proper fully-grown adults do. Also they should pay taxes so they have "skin in the game".

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I still honestly do not understand how anyone ever though harry potter was original in any way. Kid goes to magic school is an entire genre of kids books. Like i saw Harry Potter and thought 'oh its like the Worst Witch i guess'.

And like a lot of kids fantasy its actual setting and magic is the most boring basic stuff ever. They ride broomsticks and wave wands. Even the spells are just latin sounding nonsense which is even more dull than usual.

As for Dahl i'm personally for just just putting a disclaimer on it and not forcing kids to read it. I grew up watching and reading a lot of stuff that wouldn't fly today and i'd rather have been exposed to that and learned why it was wrong than never know how poo poo things were in the past. Like sure change some if the worst stuff (and put a note in the book about it). Changing the gender of the fantastic mr fox's kids seems wildly silly though, was anyone asking for that?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The changes don't make any sense in the context of the stated motivation so I'm assuming a right-wing think tank has astroturfed the whole thing and the changes are from a stage adaptaion for children.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
I just realised about the Dahl book changing thing - they are going for a Dahl Cinematic Universe, remade The Witches with Anne Hathaway, Wonka with Timotei Charming is coming, more are on the way, it's got to be related.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was reading discworld contemporaneously with the later harry potter books and it's baffling how little I can remember of the latter while the former still articulates foundational principles of how I think about the world.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Never read Harry Potter, never will, I was the one sneering at adults reading them on public transport back in the day.
Always thought she 'stole' where Terry Pratchett should be, known by everyone.

I would kill for a Tiffany Aching movie, but not kid friendly, actual showing the roughness/toughness of living a rura life on the chalk.

Only Kindness posted:

I just realised about the Dahl book changing thing - they are going for a Dahl Cinematic Universe, remade The Witches with Anne Hathaway, Wonka with Timotei Charming is coming, more are on the way, it's got to be related.

There was meant to be a Giant Peach live action movie a few years ago, probably still in preproduction

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pistol_Pete posted:

The human body is remarkably unhappy in low-oxygen environments and will go from unconsciousness to irreversible brain damage to death in a remarkably short number of breaths. You'd think that as people can hold their breath for a minute or two with no ill effects, they'd equally be able to breathe in air lacking oxygen for a bit with no ill effects, but nope.

I thought in an enclosed environment, carbon dioxide poisoning would get you before the oxygen would run out

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The thing about Harry Potter is that it has fairly decent writing by the standards of genre fiction - at least in terms of being engaging and playful, not so much all the other things like plot and setting and whatnot.

I'm not saying I love it or anything, but there's a reason why it was so wildly popular.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
boots_theory.rtf

JoKoRo was running on will-this-do by the second book. (In the spirit of know-your-enemy I did start reading them a decade ago, just to see, gave up at the start of the 4th, couldn't take any more of the poor prose and sent them to the charity shop.)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

I was reading discworld contemporaneously with the later harry potter books and it's baffling how little I can remember of the latter while the former still articulates foundational principles of how I think about the world.

this should make you a very lucky human being, but then you didn't dodge reading those books. I remember potter books being bad, with relative badness being mainly proportional to the number of pages each book had

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Netflix paid a shitload for the rights to produce Roald Dahl films a year ago, so I’m sure they’ll be imminently churning out as many as they can

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
The famous wizard looked at the red goblet.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Is Matilda an X-Man

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Private Speech posted:

The thing about Harry Potter is that it has fairly decent writing by the standards of genre fiction - at least in terms of being engaging and playful, not so much all the other things like plot and setting and whatnot.

I'm not saying I love it or anything, but there's a reason why it was so wildly popular.

I kept reading because of inertia and ended up hating each character for separate and individual reasons by the time I was finished

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I thought in an enclosed environment, carbon dioxide poisoning would get you before the oxygen would run out

Do you mean monoxide?
I think Carbon monoxide replaces the oxygen in your blood, so yeah it can cause you to die while there is still oxygen in the room.

As for Carbon Dioxide, this is present in the air naturally, but very low.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Fantastic Mr Fox is pretty much my boy's worn out Lion King VHS.

(Isle of Dogs also rules)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator is the weirdest poo poo ever and I'm not sure why it exists

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Has anything happened in the saga of Frozen-account Crypto-scam What-do-you-mean-illegal-things-are-illegal-hey-I-pay-my-taxes Guy?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I would love an Equal Rites adaptation. It's on my list to reread, but currently reading all the night's watch books interspersed with some Tamsyn Muir.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

this should make you a very lucky human being, but then you didn't dodge reading those books. I remember potter books being bad, with relative badness being mainly proportional to the number of pages each book had

I never finished the harry potter books, I just grew to like them less and less and while my mother kindly bought me the last one when it came out I never actually read it. I gave it to one of my grandmothers who was reading them after I did.

I agree very much that they get worse the bigger they get. The first three are OK if uninspired (and a sensible length) while the later ones are just far too long and suffer greatly from her not knowing what the gently caress she was intending to do with the story.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

History Comes Inside! posted:

Old white imperialist being replaced is nbd

Like kids are any likelier to read Austen...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Does it though? Again at the same time we had His Dark Materials which I really enjoyed, and "attack and kill god to liberate humanity" is a hell of a premise. Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy are also very good and I think nail a much better atmosphere than the harry potter books. HP is not a standout in terms of quality even at the time, it just has a lot of inertia behind it.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
There is also a very German "kid learns magic powers" - story : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krabat_(novel)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Runcible Cat posted:

Like kids are any likelier to read Austen...

Yeah but on the other hand at least now she’s just a quirky old book enjoyer instead of a quirky old book enjoyer who is at risk of forming some spicy opinions

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Anne Mc Caffrey has a magic/technology universe, though only read one that sounds like a Potter clone called 'The Rowan'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rowan

Loved this book so much at the time I was going to name my first kid Rowan.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mr Phillby posted:

Changing the gender of the fantastic mr fox's kids seems wildly silly though, was anyone asking for that?

To even up the gender balance maybe? Because 'default human = male' is still the usual assumption, and as a result authors tend to include far more male characters than female ones (in turn reinforcing that 'default human = male').

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

happyhippy posted:

Do you mean monoxide?
I think Carbon monoxide replaces the oxygen in your blood, so yeah it can cause you to die while there is still oxygen in the room.

As for Carbon Dioxide, this is present in the air naturally, but very low.

No I mean from exhalation, it's something like 4% of the air you breathe out, and to quote the top google search result "Concentrations >10% may cause convulsions, coma and death."

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

HP is not a standout in terms of quality even at the time, it just has a lot of inertia behind it.

It’s entirely running on that inertia at this point and you can tell because everything else Rowling has tried to do has absolutely died on its rear end, even the stuff in the same universe which you’d think they’d go wild for.

The new game is doing gangbusters from the looks of it specifically because you get to go to the school and live your own little dumb Harry Potter wizard boarding school adventure, because that’s the only thing that anyone gives a poo poo about from the whole franchise.

It’s one of the reasons I think it’s a little much to paint everyone who still likes the lovely wizard stories as a giant TERFy Rowling lover, when based on the fact that nobody seems to give a poo poo about any of her other work it seems more like they don’t give two fucks about her at all and just really like the lovely wizard stories they grew up with.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator is the weirdest poo poo ever and I'm not sure why it exists

The absolute seismic tilt into insane stuff compared to the already quite weird Charlie & The Chocolate Factory took me for a spin too when I read it as a kid.

From my vague recollection it had the grandparents turning back into babies? Floating heads in space?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

Does it though? Again at the same time we had His Dark Materials which I really enjoyed, and "attack and kill god to liberate humanity" is a hell of a premise. Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy are also very good and I think nail a much better atmosphere than the harry potter books. HP is not a standout in terms of quality even at the time, it just has a lot of inertia behind it.

It's very jrpg. I re-read dark materials recently and found it really good

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Weren’t they making a series of dark materials adaptations at one point?

I feel like they made one and then stopped

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

It’s one of the reasons I think it’s a little much to paint everyone who still likes the lovely wizard stories as a giant TERFy Rowling lover, when based on the fact that nobody seems to give a poo poo about any of her other work it seems more like they don’t give two fucks about her at all and just really like the lovely wizard stories they grew up with.

if they've paid for the game I don't think it's too unreasonable to point out to them what that money is going to end up being used for

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weren’t they making a series of dark materials adaptations at one point?

I feel like they made one and then stopped

They did but apparently there is a netflix series or something on it now?

It’s entirely running on that inertia at this point and you can tell because everything else Rowling has tried to do has absolutely died on its rear end, even the stuff in the same universe which you’d think they’d go wild for.

The new game is doing gangbusters from the looks of it specifically because you get to go to the school and live your own little dumb Harry Potter wizard boarding school adventure, because that’s the only thing that anyone gives a poo poo about from the whole franchise.

For sure, but that to me is also pretty... sad? Like the idea of people going apeshit for "british public school but with a bit of magic involved" is very depressing to me. Just play skyrim or something seriously, there are cooler settings and there must be better games mehcanically out there.

Like if you know the author is a poo poo, why would you want to go to JK Rowlings Bad Politics Zone as your fantasy escapism? Cos the books absolutely replicate a bunch of monumentally miserable elements of real life pretty uncritically.

For a franchise that trades on the setting, it has a woefully uninspiring setting.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 18, 2023

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There was a BBC His Dark Materials series that did the first three books.

They did a pretty good job.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Both of Garth Nix's series are goated, Edge Chronicles is also goated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

For sure, but that to me is also pretty... sad? Like the idea of people going apeshit for "british public school but with a bit of magic involved" is very depressing to me. Just play skyrim or something seriously, there are cooler settings and there must be better games mehcanically out there.

Yeah it’s definitely something, but that’s more of an “ah well, the majority of people just have poo poo taste” thing more than anything.

OwlFancier posted:

Like if you know the author is a poo poo, why would you want to go to JK Rowlings Bad Politics Zone as your fantasy escapism? Cos the books absolutely replicate a bunch of monumentally miserable elements of real life pretty uncritically.

That’s my point though, the majority of them don’t care that it’s JK Rowling’s World of Wankery, they just really like the World of Wankery because it’s what they grew up reading. They’d like it just as much if it was written by literally anybody, the author doesn’t matter to them at all.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 18, 2023