Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Today my 386 is getting some love

Promise EIDEmax controller - has it's own bios so you can use drives bigger than the bios supports (504mb).

Tseng ET4000ax 1mb - replaced the Trident card

3com ethernet controller so I can FTP stuff across

I should.probably retrobright this but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone do refurbishing of vintage laptop batteries? I'd think that especially for NICAD and NIMH batteries, you could just swap new cells into the pack and be good to go.

Weirdly, I dont believe I've ever seen anyone doing this

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I think modern batteries are more standardized but in older ones (where it might actually be worth refurbishing over buying a new pack) there's not really any guarantee you'll be able to find cells of the right size/shape/voltage, especially if the pack is old enough that you can't just buy a new one.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does anyone do refurbishing of vintage laptop batteries? I'd think that especially for NICAD and NIMH batteries, you could just swap new cells into the pack and be good to go.

I've re-celled some old Apple Duo batteries, it's a PITA and you need get one of those portable spot welders they sell on Amazon(specifically for this purpose) in order get the whole assembly back in its plastic case(I first tried soldering, no go). The packs work fine though.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The 8-bit guy has a video on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrDnTXqoqjM

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

JnnyThndrs posted:

I've re-celled some old Apple Duo batteries, it's a PITA and you need get one of those portable spot welders they sell on Amazon(specifically for this purpose) in order get the whole assembly back in its plastic case(I first tried soldering, no go). The packs work fine though.

How about adhesive conductive tape?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

c0burn posted:

How about adhesive conductive tape?

i don't know, I just know that the clearances are miniscule between "new pack fits" and ""won't fit", the only way I was able to get the new cells close enough together was to buy a spot welder and some nickel-plated metal film sold specifically for making battery packs. Doing that allowed me to get the cells close together so they juuuust fit. I first bought cells that already had lengths of the film pre-spot welded and then soldered the film together; that functioned fine but made everything a bit too thick to go back together.

I figured since I'm always screwing around with old hardware, I'll get enough use out of the spot welder to be worth purchasing. It was like $80, they had cheaper ones down to about $45 - expensive if you make 1 pack, not bad if you make a bunch of them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I'm not listening to anything the ate poo poo guy has to say about anything involving power supplies or batteries.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not listening to anything the ate poo poo guy has to say about anything involving power supplies or batteries.

Fair point. No paper clips in this one!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If the batteries start on fire you can shoot the fire with the gun you use to order sandwiches at subway

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I want to say I remember that being the first video where I was worried he had no idea what he was doing and was going to kill himself, but instead I think he just destroyed a battery pack?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

c0burn posted:

I should.probably retrobright this but :effort:

IMO it's fine for old things to look old but maintained. Like the toning on a old coin, or something.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I remember my old hand-me-down computers being yellowed out already back then, probably more from cigarette smoke than UV rays. Having a clean greige 386 would just feel wrong.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Did my first real soldering project and it worked on the first try - just a little alarm clock but i'm pretty proud of myself.

Now I have more confidence to start tackling some recaps/repairs on my vintage collection -i'll make a bigger post soon, but I acquired a bunch of stuff for next to nothing by just searching for "old computer" etc on craigslist. The best score was a mint kaypro iv with a box full of software and documentation for $100.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got the 17" model today. Did a system check on it, it's supposed to have 512MB RAM from the factory but only has 256MB in it. Time to track down some DDR1 for it

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

You Am I posted:

Got the 17" model today. Did a system check on it, it's supposed to have 512MB RAM from the factory but only has 256MB in it. Time to track down some DDR1 for it

Envy. God drat, what a great era that was.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I see that photo and all I can think of is Verne Troyer and Lao MingLao Ming and Verne Troyer

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw9kwsAgLRo

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s wild, before smartphones I always went for the smallest phone, which for me culminated with the Startac Micro. Now every year I hope they make the iPhone just a little bigger.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

The coolest external SCSI drive I ever got my hands on had a rotating wheel for setting the ID. Absolutely loving rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KImkZvLOCfA

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I do not miss SCSI one bit, no siree.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It’s wild, before smartphones I always went for the smallest phone, which for me culminated with the Startac Micro. Now every year I hope they make the iPhone just a little bigger.
It's not crazy when you consider the function or use of the cel phone changed with the iphone/smartphone.

If all you were doing was calling/texting and occasionally needed something like a simple game/calendar/calculator, tiny phones make the most sense.

If you're consuming media or using it to take photos/any of the other 20 things our phones do, a larger screen makes more sense.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

snorch posted:

I do not miss SCSI one bit, no siree.

SCSI rules when it works. When it doesn’t it’s a huge pain in the rear end

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I miss SCSI, it’s great having fuckoff-expensive cables the diameter of your thumb that could possibly have four or five different connectors on them(not even counting Apple’s laptop connector). And setting poorly marked/unmarked jumpers is a blast, especially when you gently caress up and lose the whole device chain.

Not to mention The Joy Of Termination, or lack thereof, especially for devices both external and internal that don’t offer termination so you’d better have an extra plug on your cable and a terminator to match.

Truthfully, I kind of enjoy loving around with it on a hobbyist level, but it was a PITA back when you needed to make something work in order to be productive.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“SCSI voodoo” is what we called it. Always remember to use a terminator. Unless it’s not working then take terminator off and maybe that will work.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Super Ultra Fast Wide Long Deep Ultra3 SCSI

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Super Ultra Fast Wide Long Deep Ultra3 SCSI

<heavy breathing commences>

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Seriously, what could you possibly need 80 pins for?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

snorch posted:

Seriously, what could you possibly need 80 pins for?
No one will ever need anything less than 80 pins!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
While I’ve used computers with it, naturally. I’ve never had to deal with configuring any SCSI, and yet I owe it a debt of gratitude:
I’m working on a Karate Champ arcade PCB and it connects the CPU and Video boards together using a 50-pin (happens to be SCSI) IDC ribbon cable. This allowed me to go to MicroCenter and grab a new, much much longer one for $7.99 American.

It works great and has helped so much to have a cable longer than the original 3inch one.

Thx SCSI!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m shocked micro center carrys scsi cables

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m shocked that you can even still buy components at brick and mortar stores, we don’t have poo poo in the UK anymore.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
also it's super easy to make idc cables. clamp em in a vise, or even just use pliers if you're careful

giant chunky centronics connectors should be used for more things tho, imo

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Data Graham posted:

I see that photo and all I can think of is Verne Troyer and Lao MingLao Ming and Verne Troyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvbuwfawqcc

Too bad they didn't do a sequel ad with the 15" model.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Raluek posted:

Beating people to death with them would work well, I think.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I feel like I got away easy - the only SCSI devices I've used were 80 pin SCA, with zero configuration needed.

(And SAS, I guess.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Raluek posted:

also it's super easy to make idc cables. clamp em in a vise, or even just use pliers if you're careful

the new ipad pro now with 80 pin serial connector

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Only 80 pins? Pfft. Try building something out of PC/104 "stackable" boards sometime.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powered Descent posted:

Only 80 pins? Pfft. Try building something out of PC/104 "stackable" boards sometime.

i forgot about these. i worked at a computer store for 7 years, we had a display with a selection of these and i dont think i ever remember a single one being sold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JnnyThndrs posted:

I miss SCSI, it’s great having fuckoff-expensive cables the diameter of your thumb that could possibly have four or five different connectors on them(not even counting Apple’s laptop connector). And setting poorly marked/unmarked jumpers is a blast, especially when you gently caress up and lose the whole device chain.

Not to mention The Joy Of Termination, or lack thereof, especially for devices both external and internal that don’t offer termination so you’d better have an extra plug on your cable and a terminator to match.

Truthfully, I kind of enjoy loving around with it on a hobbyist level, but it was a PITA back when you needed to make something work in order to be productive.

Some time in the early 2000s I had an Akai sampler that used SCSI to transfer data from the computer to the sampler. I had to use two adapters back to back because I couldn't find a single adapter between the SCSI connector types.

Good times, indeed.