Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
My first guardtower was attached to the outer wall, but when the enemy apporached, my markdwarves apparently jumped through the arrow slits and into the dry moat below to melee fight the bandits.

So I built a new guardtower, 2 tiles from the wall, with a roof over, and yet to my suprise, suddenly the little bastards was launching themself through the air, landing on the walls and jumping into the moat again.

Is there a max distance dwarves can jump or a max height they will not dare fall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Rincewinds posted:

My first guardtower was attached to the outer wall, but when the enemy apporached, my markdwarves apparently jumped through the arrow slits and into the dry moat below to melee fight the bandits.

So I built a new guardtower, 2 tiles from the wall, with a roof over, and yet to my suprise, suddenly the little bastards was launching themself through the air, landing on the walls and jumping into the moat again.

Is there a max distance dwarves can jump or a max height they will not dare fall?

Double lining your fortifications so they are 2 tiles thick all the way around is your best bet. This will mean that you need decently skilled markswarves for them to shoot through this wider defensive structure.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I just love the mental image of dwarf hefting up a crossbow, aiming for half a second, then deciding he can't be bothered with this nonsense and just launching himself from the top of a tower to engage in melee.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
No creature should be able to move through a fortification, you just have a corner or roof or something that is passable?

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

M_Gargantua posted:

No creature should be able to move through a fortification, you just have a corner or roof or something that is passable?

Since the update that added jumping, things can now jump through fortifications just fine.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My favorite part of this game is just finding weird new places to start forts:

Weird actually-square box canyon surrounded by distinctly round spires, a secret back entrance, and a big ol' magma tube right there. Has a wide variety of metals, including flux and iron. The canyon floor is covered in fruit trees.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 18, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Weird actually-square box canyon surrounded by distinctly round spires, a secret back entrance, and a big ol' magma tube right there. Has a wide variety of metals, including flux and iron. The canyon floor is covered in fruit trees.

That is rad as hell

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Bad Munki posted:

can I have this world? this looks great

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
For underground tree farms, how high can the trees grow?

For tomb zones, you can't mass designate like bedrooms and each tomb needs it's own door? Green glass portals remain the limiting factor on fortress growth it seems. I don't want to do one tile tombs I want 3x3 tombrooms.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zeruel posted:

can I have this world? this looks great

I have all the settings and the seeds but I can’t get it to regenerate the same. I did save immediately after embarking, though, I can post that if you want, you’d just have to deal with my particular embark loadout. Which isn’t bad imo.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

You can almost definitely find a similar thing on your own world. They're not uncommon, you just need to know what to look for. Make use of the different views when embarking. You basically just want a red / next to some green.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For crazy maps like that, you can indeed find them on the default world gen settings, just use the elevation and grade views on the embark map to look for a spot that has a large difference in both elevation and cliff grade.

If you want more of them, change your world gen settings to use 4x4 (or try other sizes) meshes for Elevation and set the weighting much higher for the lowest and highest elevation than for the ones in the middle. (no specific values to use, they're all relative to one another - setting low/high to 5 and leaving the mid ones at 1 is fine, or you can do whatever you want for more granular control). You can crank the minimum volcano count up to 200 if you want a volcano - though they don't seem to have any effect on elevation when you're already messing with the meshes.

If you want more rivers included, set the minimum river start points settings (both of them) to 800 and weight Drainage towards the low end of the scale. (This will also create thicker dirt/sand/sediment layers though).

Then look for embark points where a river exits mountains and check the elevation/grade maps there for one with very stark differences :shrug: The river isn't necessary unless you want a waterfall though.

I can post my custom worldgen settings that I use for finding weird maps later, but heads up that they don't produce realistic looking worlds :v:

Oh, also turn off "Periodically erode extreme cliffs" for best results.

edit:

Paste this in dwarf fortress\prefs\world_gen.txt

code:
[WORLD_GEN]
	[TITLE:ELDENRING]
	[CUSTOM_NAME:Elden Ring]
	[DIM:257:65]
	[EMBARK_POINTS:1504]
	[END_YEAR:100]
	[BEAST_END_YEAR:300:80]
	[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
	[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
	[ELEVATION:1:400:100:1500]
	[RAINFALL:0:100:400:101]
	[TEMPERATURE:25:75:400:101]
	[DRAINAGE:0:100:400:500]
	[VOLCANISM:0:100:400:101]
	[SAVAGERY:0:100:400:101]
	[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:3:8:3:5:3:10]
	[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[POLE:NORTH_OR_SOUTH]
	[MINERAL_SCARCITY:100]
	[MEGABEAST_CAP:18]
	[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:37]
	[TITAN_NUMBER:9]
	[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:3:0:3]
	[DEMON_NUMBER:28]
	[NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:14]
	[BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:14]
	[NIGHTMARE_NUMBER:14]
	[VAMPIRE_NUMBER:14]
	[WEREBEAST_NUMBER:14]
	[WEREBEAST_ATTACK_TRIGGER:2:2:2]
	[SECRET_NUMBER:28]
	[REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:28]
	[DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:28]
	[EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:14]
	[EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:14]
	[GENERATE_DIVINE_MATERIALS:1]
	[ALLOW_DIVINATION:1]
	[ALLOW_DEMONIC_EXPERIMENTS:1]
	[ALLOW_NECROMANCER_EXPERIMENTS:1]
	[ALLOW_NECROMANCER_LIEUTENANTS:1]
	[ALLOW_NECROMANCER_GHOULS:1]
	[ALLOW_NECROMANCER_SUMMONS:1]
	[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:25:252:505]
	[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:25:252:505]
	[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:30]
	[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
	[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
	[VOLCANO_MIN:50]
	[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:261:1:1]
	[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:261:1:1]
	[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:1044:3:3]
	[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:2088:2:2]
	[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:400:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:2088:3:3]
	[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:2088:3:3]
	[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
	[RIVER_MINS:101:101]
	[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:0]
	[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
	[SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:0]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
	[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
	[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
	[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
	[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
	[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
	[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
	[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
	[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:25]
	[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:50]
	[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
	[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
	[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:40]
	[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
	[SITE_CAP:1044]
	[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
	[ELEVATION_RANGES:2088:4176:2088]
	[RAIN_RANGES:2088:4176:2088]
	[DRAINAGE_RANGES:2088:4176:2088]
	[SAVAGERY_RANGES:2088:4176:2088]
	[VOLCANISM_RANGES:2088:4176:2088]
e: vv lmao, fixed

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 19, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is the best part

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For underground tree farms, how high can the trees grow?

For tomb zones, you can't mass designate like bedrooms and each tomb needs it's own door? Green glass portals remain the limiting factor on fortress growth it seems. I don't want to do one tile tombs I want 3x3 tombrooms.

You don't have to have a door, just an area enclosed on all sides by walls. Ramps down to spaces of any size will suffice.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ok actually the true secret to getting high canyon walls in maps is this: embark somewhere where a river changes elevations.

This canyon is 20 floors tall and has solid ice on the bottom:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Became the Mountainhome last night took about 15 dead dwarves due to a skunk demon that poisoned a majority of those deaths, also ran into 2 other demons and 2 angels that I melted their gear down to make the throne. Still no adamantine yet but I'm seeing some semi-molten rock where I've dug down to so I might start spreading out and looking at the other gem-encrusted areas I've found

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Well that's a hell of a site.

15 level waterfall in the mountains too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is that the thong all the strange moods are obsessed with?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Please tell me you have like two weeks to vacate that spot before it melts

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

MillennialVulcan posted:

Well that's a hell of a site.

15 level waterfall in the mountains too.

This owns, I want this embark. Preferably not on the ice though.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'm mostly fooling around right now, trying to find somewhere interesting to embark, so I'm generating quite a few. Mostly I've been following Deep's advice.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Ok actually the true secret to getting high canyon walls in maps is this: embark somewhere where a river changes elevations.

And I guess by extension if you really want to get yourself in trouble, embark in a cold or temperate climate and race the clock to get your stockpile filled.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Can I assign multiple squads to train in the same barracks at the same time, or will that cause problems

Griz
May 21, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Can I assign multiple squads to train in the same barracks at the same time, or will that cause problems

I'm not sure if they'll combine trainings with other squads, but you can absolutely stick all your squads in the same barracks.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
A visiting dwarf, who seems to be friends with half my fort, had apparently fallen into the river and couldnt seem to get out. His swimming skills are increasing rapidly, something he is pleased with, while he is annoyed that he was out in the rain, even if he's been underwater since the spring.

However, fall is approaching which will cause the river to freeze and the guy becoming an ice cube might be upsetting for people, so I tried to dig a channel next to him, so he could get out.

Nope, still swimming.

So I channel out a massive ditch next to the river and make a channel to the riverbed, the water flows in, dragging him along, which means that should he walk out in ancle deep water.

He is still swimming in the puddle that is slowly rising.

Guess I will be pulling his rear end out of the frozen river once the cold hits, at the same time I will put in a fortification in the entry of my underground water channel, since some undead aquatic visitors have been using it as a shortcut to the inn, which is probably less than ideal if some more hostile forces shows up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Build a roof over his new swimming pool and I think it won’t freeze

Make him the Lady Of The Indoor Swimming Pool. Set the room up as a gathering hall.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I'm done with this game

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Lassie fell into the well I see.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Elaborate way to kill a dog, i would just use the butcher.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

temple posted:

I'm done with this game

That drain won't work. If done correctly, there should be no stone visible on the other side of the fortifications. Did they increase the maximum distance from the map edge you could carve them?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
you have to dig all the way to the edge, then smooth and carve fortifications on the final squares

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Tuna-Fish posted:

That drain won't work. If done correctly, there should be no stone visible on the other side of the fortifications. Did they increase the maximum distance from the map edge you could carve them?

I think you are right. I have a backup save.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've noticed in previous forts that I'd get visitors just hanging out in outdoor pools and outside of digging a huge trench I couldn't get folks to do anything but hang out and complain about the rain.

Last couple of forts have been in regions with no winter, so I haven't had to race the calendar.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its not my problem if visitors just like spending the whole time in the outdoor pond.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if it did drain off the map I think the dog would survive forever down there

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its not my problem if visitors just like spending the whole time in the outdoor pond.

I had a problem with this but some kindly goblins with crossbows made it go away.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
You can turn stone cave floor into soil by irrigating it then building a farm plot on it then deconstructing the farm plot? What controls which tiles turn to soil and which don't?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

What's the most dangerous loose item I can make out of lead for the purpose of dumping into my invader flush tube?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

resistentialism posted:

What's the most dangerous loose item I can make out of lead for the purpose of dumping into my invader flush tube?

Floor tiles, at the bottom of the pit you flush them into

Other than that maybe large spiked balls?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Nah those can't be made with non-weapon metals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

resistentialism posted:

Apparently if you drop from high enough even worn out clothing can maim or kill so I'd say follow your heart this seems like you can't go wrong.