Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I saw a gold-plated one with the Ford logo on ebay. No idea if it tickles your fancy, just a heads-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks for the heads-up :) That particular listing has an utterly insane price point, but I would've passed on it even if it were priced more appropriately. The gold one I have is in rougher shape but it's good enough for me. So if there's some other dummy like me who's also trying to put together a collection, let them have it.

(I do hope nobody's crazy enough to pay anywhere close to 699 goddamn dollars though.)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Trabant posted:

Thanks for the heads-up :) That particular listing has an utterly insane price point, but I would've passed on it even if it were priced more appropriately. The gold one I have is in rougher shape but it's good enough for me. So if there's some other dummy like me who's also trying to put together a collection, let them have it.

(I do hope nobody's crazy enough to pay anywhere close to 699 goddamn dollars though.)

I hope you win the lotto and complete your collection. Until then keep looking, might have more luck irl

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I assume you're a member of the various vintage electronics facebook pages already?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I know there's another 'post something you just can't find lately' thread but I can't find it so this will have to do.

You know how there's that never-ending joke about how Batman is an oppressor of the poor, doesn't actually help anybody just beats up vagrants, made worse by the fact that he's a billionaire? A few years back someone on Twitter wrote out (as a tweet thread, ugh) an idea for an actually-progressive Batman plot and FWIR, it was pretty good. I'm having trouble searching for it though, anyone know what I'm talking about?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I assume you're a member of the various vintage electronics facebook pages already?

Technically yes, but so many of them have a "NO SALES" policy for... reasons, I assume.

But you're right and it's a good reminder -- I'll go back and look for those that explicitly say that members are allowed to buy and sell.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I hope you win the lotto and complete your collection. Until then keep looking, might have more luck irl

:tipshat:

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Trabant posted:

Technically yes, but so many of them have a "NO SALES" policy for... reasons, I assume.

But you're right and it's a good reminder -- I'll go back and look for those that explicitly say that members are allowed to buy and sell.

Have you tried searching in Chinese? Weird old luxury calculators are exactly the kind of thing I'd expect a Hong Kong collector to obsess over.

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?
Following up 3 years (almost to the day) after I first indicated I might be able to help with this, sorry it took so long... you're still an active poster, though, so I hope you see this!

doctorfrog posted:

A couple decades ago, Comedy Central had 1 season of a series called "Let's Bowl."

It's a show where two fake professional CBS Sports style announcers commentate on a grudge match of a bowling game between two ordinary shlubs. Like, if Stan owed Frank $1000, but Stan says that Frank dented his pickup and that he doesn't have to pay anything. The show would periodically have skits, many of which leveraged the fictional, depressing alcoholic life of one of the announcers. The announcers would generally badmouth the skills of the players.

It was an even cheaper People's Court with bowling. It wasn't great, which is why it was good.

Years after the show was canceled, the producers got permission to sell DVDs of the show (at cost I think?), but the website is long gone at this point. I don't want to buy the DVDs, but I would like to painlessly and costlessly obtain decent quality versions of the show someday.

e: this thing: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366047/?ref_=nm_knf_i1

It was actually more than one season - 2 on CC, I think, but in fact, I've learned it began life as a local Minnesota show before CC picked it up. (Where have I heard that one before? I mean, wow, it even had a fan club address in Hopkins, MN!) I digitized my tape of 4 season 2 episodes from a graveyard shift rerun block in 2004 and was going to be happy enough with that but decided to check youtube for more... and there are a few dozen episodes (from channel 41 and Comedy Central seasons 1-2) available for you to enjoy! Most of them went up after your request. I've certainly been enjoying the memories/new stuff, but I won't spoil the variations.

These two channels seem to be almost entirely devoted to the show (a little overlap between their offerings):
https://www.youtube.com/@russbonneau9152/videos
https://www.youtube.com/@cobiski/videos
And there's one random extra episode (may or may not be redundant) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKpkrdbCysI

My set has one single episode that did not appear to be online yet, right at the start. The others match runtimes with what's already online but I haven't compared recording quality. The more the merrier! (Also I went with production order because that's the only one I had reference to when I taped them.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgxwfr85t4o

By the way, I have been focusing my conversion efforts mostly on later years but I think I did see some Tough Crowd in the 2004ish tapes and I know someone else was eager to find episodes of that. I could be easily persuaded to pull those soon.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

yaffle posted:

Have you tried searching in Chinese? Weird old luxury calculators are exactly the kind of thing I'd expect a Hong Kong collector to obsess over.

Nope, can't say I have. Closest I've done is search Japanese auctions (through buyee.com) where I search for both "Sinclair" and シンクレア (per Google Translate). I've also searched ex-Yu sites (since I do speak those languages). There I search for "Sinclair" and "Sinkler" as some people phonetize it :v:

Happy to try it with Chinese too... if anyone can tell me what the right search terms would be and which site will ship to the US?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m looking for an anthology of essays and some short fiction that was used as a textbook in my English composition class circa 1998. It had “How to say Nothing in 500 Words” by Paul Roberts and the short play “Sure Thing” by David Ives. It may have had “The Discus Thrower” by Richard Selzer and it also had an essay I barely remember describing how a woman goes from being a person to being an object back to being a person over the course of getting a physical from her doctor—I can’t locate a title or author for that one because my memory is too hazy, but it was descriptive of events followed by analysis, kind of like anthropology or sociology scholarship.

It was a thick text with coated pages typical of American textbooks, but it wasn’t formatted like a textbook: it was taller than it was wide, like a normal book. It had a hard cover that was darker green swirled with either white or a lighter green, but that may not have been the original binding. I don’t think it was any of the David Bartholomae editions of Ways of Reading, although one of the problems I’m having is that there have probably been many editions of this text since the one I saw.

Part of my confusion is that I had the same English teacher twice: once sophomore year for a composition course and once junior year for AP language, and my memories bleed together. I remember I had this textbook the year AMC played a marathon of Planet of the Apes movies over Labor Day weekend.

How would I start looking for this?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Are you in touch with any of your former classmates? That's where I would start.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m looking for an anthology of essays and some short fiction that was used as a textbook in my English composition class circa 1998. It had “How to say Nothing in 500 Words” by Paul Roberts and the short play “Sure Thing” by David Ives. It may have had “The Discus Thrower” by Richard Selzer and it also had an essay I barely remember describing how a woman goes from being a person to being an object back to being a person over the course of getting a physical from her doctor—I can’t locate a title or author for that one because my memory is too hazy, but it was descriptive of events followed by analysis, kind of like anthropology or sociology scholarship.

It was a thick text with coated pages typical of American textbooks, but it wasn’t formatted like a textbook: it was taller than it was wide, like a normal book. It had a hard cover that was darker green swirled with either white or a lighter green, but that may not have been the original binding. I don’t think it was any of the David Bartholomae editions of Ways of Reading, although one of the problems I’m having is that there have probably been many editions of this text since the one I saw.

Part of my confusion is that I had the same English teacher twice: once sophomore year for a composition course and once junior year for AP language, and my memories bleed together. I remember I had this textbook the year AMC played a marathon of Planet of the Apes movies over Labor Day weekend.

How would I start looking for this?

Look up the curriculum for that year.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Trabant posted:

I want a curta so I know your pain

Mister Speaker posted:

I know there's another 'post something you just can't find lately' thread but I can't find it so this will have to do.

There's the internet necromancy thread but I'm not sure if this counts as a solve on my end. This one is much more busy

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958247

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Oh man, I read a great essay about the curta, that would be a really cool thing to own.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh man, I read a great essay about the curta, that would be a really cool thing to own.

It's basically insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loI1Kwed8Pk

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I want a curta so I know your pain

big_oof.jpg

Hell, you have it worse.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

If there's a like 'find me an SA thread' thread maybe this would be better for that but in some thread there was a goon who ?knew? a guy who had this very strict idea of what the perfect mens suit "should" be
and posted photos of the finished product and it was like this tall lanky white guy with long blonde hair in a mao-collared suit of a garish red and gold brocade fabric
he may or may not have been wearing combat boots with it

another lost SA thread is an E/N thread by a guy who'd never celebrated christmas before and needed to know what people's traditions were so he could make christmas special for his boyfriend

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Been thinking about a particular scene from an old movie from the 80s or 90s that I can't quite place. I want to say it was a young girl but what I do remember vividly is she had to go to some giant, enormous library where they keep records of like every newspaper ever made and she was searching for something, and she had to have someone help her get this giant, giant books with every single newspaper they ever made in them so she could scan through them for something. I remember this being so cool, but my searches don't lead me anywhere. Closest thing I can think of is maaaaaybe that old nickelodeon movie harriet the spy, but I don't have a way to watch it to check.

Not a movie so it’s kind of a long shot, but maybe it might have come from this old PBS show?

Here’s the first episode in case that helps either jog your memory or eliminate it as a possibility:

https://youtu.be/6DzzPDnIKtQ

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Reading that Wikipedia page was about a hundred times more amazing than I was expecting and I am now watching the episode and entirely convinced it makes no sense that this exists at all

"World Wide News: Final Edition"

drat I wish I had seen this as a kid

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Killingyouguy! posted:

another lost SA thread is an E/N thread by a guy who'd never celebrated christmas before and needed to know what people's traditions were so he could make christmas special for his boyfriend
Oh I remember this one, it was super adorable. Sadly don't know how to find it, but I'd read it again.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

If there's a like 'find me an SA thread' thread maybe this would be better for that but in some thread there was a goon who ?knew? a guy who had this very strict idea of what the perfect mens suit "should" be
and posted photos of the finished product and it was like this tall lanky white guy with long blonde hair in a mao-collared suit of a garish red and gold brocade fabric
I Googled this poo poo out of this last night and didn't get anywhere. I can picture it absolutely 100% clearly in my mind, too. If anybody else manages to find it, please don't just share the photos/thread, but also the search terms you used to find them!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This is a strange one: Years ago I had been accepted to college and there was something I had somewhere with a very specific mention of something regarding my admission.

A school administrator, a few months later, changed it in their computer so it looked like it never existed.

I threw out a bunch of my old college stuff years ago, but I stumbled upon a letter from nearly 2 decades ago that gives me hope that I STILL have it somewhere because it would literally be in writing from the school and considering the school told me, "If you don't have it in writing, it's your word against a staff member, and we'll believe a staff member over you." it would be great to find.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is a strange one: Years ago I had been accepted to college and there was something I had somewhere with a very specific mention of something regarding my admission.

A school administrator, a few months later, changed it in their computer so it looked like it never existed.

I threw out a bunch of my old college stuff years ago, but I stumbled upon a letter from nearly 2 decades ago that gives me hope that I STILL have it somewhere because it would literally be in writing from the school and considering the school told me, "If you don't have it in writing, it's your word against a staff member, and we'll believe a staff member over you." it would be great to find.

Do you want goons to come search your house or something

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

Was it this?

I couldn't find the original thread but I found this one which says it was originally posted by Dienes and also has more pictures.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 18, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Zathril posted:

Was it this?

I couldn't find the original thread but I found this one which says it was originally posted by Dienes and also has more pictures.

gently caress YES IT IS THANK YOU

e; and the thread links to his deviantart which is full of other fashion decisions, incredible

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 18, 2023

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

gently caress YES IT IS THANK YOU

e; and the thread links to his deviantart which is full of other fashion decisions, incredible

Nice, for the other person asking I searched the site for mandarin collar and it came up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zathril posted:

Was it this?

Buddy looks like Marilyn Manson tried to climb the curtains

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Zathril posted:

Nice, for the other person asking I searched the site for mandarin collar and it came up.
Aw, I got to the point where I was searching for the Chinese names for that...garment, but clearly I was overthinking it. Thanks!

CommonShore posted:

Buddy looks like Marilyn Manson tried to climb the curtains
...and my first search was for "Marilyn Manson custom red silk qipao combat boots," based on my memory of the photo alone.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Feeling that old guy in the back

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

This is a real longshot, but I've been searching for info on this for years and haven't been able to find info on it, especially the name which I've forgotten. It was some kind of colorful flower, like "Petunias" or "Peonies" and that was the entire name.

In the 1999-2000 season (I'd estimate 2000 if I had to pick a year), at Zellerbach Hall in Berkeley, I saw a theater performance. I (and some friends) had intended to see a play that a friend was cast in, bought tickets, and went into a show, but there was a mistake somewhere along the lines and it wasn't the correct one, which we realized about 15 minutes in when we couldn't find our show in the playbill. I imagine this show was put on elsewhere, but I saw it in Berkeley.

The show was somewhere between avant garde theater, interpretive dance, and ballet. Extremely minimalist, the costumes were mostly leotards and tights. I remember there were several movements where people would mimic animals, moving like they were giraffes or deer or lions. I remember at a few points in the performance, all of the other performers and music would stop, and a naked woman holding a giant accordion (so covering herself) walked onstage in silence, turned to face the audience, and said the name of the show, then the lights would turn off and she would leave for a stage reset.

The climax of the show was most of the cast spending 10 minutes piling a huge amount of cardboard moving boxes into a giant structure, one at a time, also in silence. When they finished, they wheeled up a multi-story ladder, someone climbed to the top, and then swan dived into the pile of boxes, crushing them.

Does anyone know what this show is called or have any background on it?

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 18, 2023

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

BrutMcD's current av is thsi:

.... but they used to have one that looked like this:

Hell yes, thank you!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I am looking for a video of the spiderman cartoon but its dubbed in another language. Its spiderman falling and hes supposed to be screaming for his life but the VA is doing the most dead pan scream

aaaaa aaaa aaa aaaaa

I always lost my poo poo when watching it but now youtube sucks and i can find it.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's a story I remember only vaguely about a guy who discovers a colony of intelligent mice in his basement. They use tools and they're able to communicate. He helps them along with building stuff and they become a civilization. Initially he keeps it hidden from his wife, but one day he comes home to discover she's found them on her own and is completely enchanted with them, and it even kind of rekindles their relationship and they pretty much just grow old together and become the guardians of generations of mice.

Somehow I got it firmly in my head that it's a goon post, but it may be a general internet story, or even one from an anthology. A while ago I posted in in all the "lost stuff" threads I could find and it rang a bell with a couple of people, but no one's managed to come up with so much as a title or author.

other than that man I dunno, had a bunch over the years but eventually found them all, I guess I'm pretty good at tracking poo poo down
Dunno if this is still your white whale but check this out: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20239370/?ref_=tt_mv_close

It's based on the short story 'Mason's Rats' by Neal Asher.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Hihohe posted:

I am looking for a video of the spiderman cartoon but its dubbed in another language. Its spiderman falling and hes supposed to be screaming for his life but the VA is doing the most dead pan scream

aaaaa aaaa aaa aaaaa

I always lost my poo poo when watching it but now youtube sucks and i can find it.

Is it this?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Infinite Karma posted:

This is a real longshot, but I've been searching for info on this for years and haven't been able to find info on it, especially the name which I've forgotten. It was some kind of colorful flower, like "Petunias" or "Peonies" and that was the entire name.

In the 1999-2000 season (I'd estimate 2000 if I had to pick a year), at Zellerbach Hall in Berkeley, I saw a theater performance. I (and some friends) had intended to see a play that a friend was cast in, bought tickets, and went into a show, but there was a mistake somewhere along the lines and it wasn't the correct one, which we realized about 15 minutes in when we couldn't find our show in the playbill. I imagine this show was put on elsewhere, but I saw it in Berkeley.

The show was somewhere between avant garde theater, interpretive dance, and ballet. Extremely minimalist, the costumes were mostly leotards and tights. I remember there were several movements where people would mimic animals, moving like they were giraffes or deer or lions. I remember at a few points in the performance, all of the other performers and music would stop, and a naked woman holding a giant accordion (so covering herself) walked onstage in silence, turned to face the audience, and said the name of the show, then the lights would turn off and she would leave for a stage reset.

The climax of the show was most of the cast spending 10 minutes piling a huge amount of cardboard moving boxes into a giant structure, one at a time, also in silence. When they finished, they wheeled up a multi-story ladder, someone climbed to the top, and then swan dived into the pile of boxes, crushing them.

Does anyone know what this show is called or have any background on it?

It could be Nelken, by Pina Bausch. Its english translated name is Carnations. I found it on the archived website for Zellerbach Hall and there's definitely a very lightly dressed lady with an accordion. https://web.archive.org/web/19991013073306/http://calperfs.berkeley.edu/9900season/dance/pinabausch.html

You can read more about the play here: https://www.pinabausch.org/work/nelk

I haven't been able to find it in its entirety on youtube, but here's a piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKy9MiOey_s

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve been looking for a video from January 2021 of a very upset trump voter crying into her phone camera begging “president trump” to “save us” from Biden. I remember her saying that biden had some kind of strange flag at his inauguration that wasn’t the American flag and her angrily saying “this is our country!” although she was basically weeping the entire time. She had a slight southern accent.

I can find a few videos that comment on it and show clips, but I’m having a lot of trouble finding the original.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

engessa posted:

Dunno if this is still your white whale but check this out: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20239370/?ref_=tt_mv_close

It's based on the short story 'Mason's Rats' by Neal Asher.
We found it a good while ago actually, it turned out to be a ridiculous effortpost about juggalos

but that's a really good episode though, cheers!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

In 1985 I stayed in a youth hostel in the uk and there was an arcade cabinet that had in its teaser animation a sideways view of a very pixelated dwarf, wizard, barbarian and I'm thinking a bow and arrow lady. Like the top third of the screen maybe. Which might be the first time I saw a computer game. I didn't get to play it. It'd be lovely to know what it was called.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Was it gauntlet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Could it be Golden Axe?