Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I would pack a steak sandwich if they weren’t so messy. Can’t abide a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bicievino posted:

I don't think either of you should give a poo poo about what the other eats, but to be fair you started this derail by saying that ability to carry sufficient nutrition was a limiter for you. I don't think you need to get quite so salty about people explaining how, for them, they avoid that being a limiter.

My limiter is actually water capacity, but if I want to carry more water it limits the food I can carry so I'm going to solve this by adding cargo capacity. Nobody is salty wtf

vikingstrike posted:

You’re being dense on purpose. Just pack a PBJ and not a steak sandwich or whatever.

I would consider pbj a real food albeit not a very nice one

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

My last long gravel ride I shoved a ham and brie baguette down my jersey cause my pockets were so loaded up.
Was nice and warm.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I just put pork chops in my Jersey pockets.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

To contribute to the food and water discourse I went for a 100km ride yesterday with only 2 bottles of water and a banana. I also picked up a can of sprite near the end

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Energy gel packets are typically 100 calories but a 16oz sprite is 200.

JUST SAYING

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sphyre posted:

To contribute to the food and water discourse I went for a 100km ride yesterday with only 2 bottles of water and a banana. I also picked up a can of sprite near the end

I can do this if I'm on my road bike and I pick a relatively flat urban route like I did repeatedly for the f500

Last weekend I did this:

And the combination of hills and difficult surfaces meant I went through about 4L of water and that was barely enough. The latter is by far the kind of ride I prefer, riding around the city sucks rear end

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Energy gel packets are typically 100 calories but a 16oz sprite is 200.

JUST SAYING

Nice username/subject matter combo.

I know this isn't the point you were trying to make (which I assume was humorous), but for real, I do not drink soda during a ride because it makes me burp. At home or out and about, I don't mind that so much, but when I'm hunched over and pedaling, that will lead to heartburn sometimes, and that means acid burps. It's yucky.

As for why some of us like real food, I can only speak for myself, but some might have had this experience: I was diagnosed with diabetes before getting serious about weight loss, and then I went down from over 300 pounds on some days to the 170s over the course of a couple of years. I never needed to be treated for the condition because I was able to get my numbers normalized with diet and exercise, but in so doing, I built habits that make me think thrice about anything high in calories and devoid of other nutritional value, and anything super-sugary (like pure sugar gel) becomes a little unappealing.

For a long ride, I'll start my day with oatmeal or grits (more than I would have on a "normal" breakfast), pack at least one Oats and Honey crunchy granola bar for my first "big" snack, pack an apple and banana for quicker carbs with nutrition, and if I'm going to be out for a big part of the day, a frozen Uncrustable or two will get stowed away somewhere for a proper lunch.

When you've trained yourself to avoid eating calories unless you're getting other nutritional content or at least feeling a little full, gels just seem weird. I totally get that it works well for more serious riders, especially when fuel-to-weight ratio is important, but that's not me. I don't mind carrying more stuff to maintain some semblance of my now-normal eating routine.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I just bought a box of Cosmic Brownies for my next bike ride. ama

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

tarlibone posted:

I totally get that it works well for more serious riders, especially when fuel-to-weight ratio is important, but that's not me. I don't mind carrying more stuff to maintain some semblance of my now-normal eating routine.
Pretty much. Gels are great when you are the guy paying hundreds of dollars to shave 300 grams off your bike, but being someone who carries around many many extra pounds right now, having the weight of real food doesn't bother me.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Has anyone used the wolf tooth b-rad system to mount double bottles?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

n8r posted:

Has anyone used the wolf tooth b-rad system to mount double bottles?
Well hello there! Check my recent thread history for a couple posts and hit me up if you have more questions.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ilkhan posted:

Pretty much. Gels are great when you are the guy paying hundreds of dollars to shave 300 grams off your bike, but being someone who carries around many many extra pounds right now, having the weight of real food doesn't bother me.

This isn't what anyone is saying and 'Gels & bars are for wannabe pro mamils' is a weird thing to say. No-one takes just gels on a 100k bike ride, in fact I only ever carry one on anything that isn't a literal race as an emergency food source.

This entire conversation started because someone was talking about putting panniers on for 100k ride because they don't have enough space to carry enough supplies and had other posters rightly going 'Wtf why?'

Once again carry whatever food you want. If you want to stuff a baguette in a frame bag go right ahead.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

just boil up some sugar water and mix a caffeine pill into it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

ilkhan posted:

I think the real food posters in the last couple of pages are not crazy, just that for most people living in populated areas, it’s hard to relate to the need to carry the real food with you.

The way this is done on long club rides in Europe is to pick a nice cafe around the halfway point and stop for cake and coffee, a bacon and egg bap or whatever. But for the intervening distance you have bottles of sugary drinks mix and a pocket full of gels to tide you over.

When a long day works out to 4000+ calories burned (via power meter, heart rate, weight etc) it’s really not possible that you’re going to fatten up, and you’ll be unlikely to break even on food + sugary supplements at the end of the day. We all like real food, we just can’t be arsed to prep it at 7am on a Sunday morning, carry it around for 100 miles or add extra storage to our bikes to fit it.

Being more efficient on the bike means a longer range and makes the difference in being able to do things like ride to the sea and back in a day.

But vast wilderness areas with no food and water aren’t really a thing here, you do you. Cycling is fun however you do it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

ive definitely drifted towards eating stuff like granola bars, welchs fruit snacks, fruit bars, rice krispie squares, wasabi peas, i usually just go with the grade school snacks approach because its a hell of a lot cheaper than the science food / sports candy but still individually wrapped so its just as convenient and does 90% the job.

i do like me some hydration tabs though, and sometimes ill pick up the margarita/watermelon shot blocks because such a candy doesnt really exist otherwise, to my knowledge.

i think the most effective "real" food i brought on a big dumb ride was a couple of greasy mcdoubles in my jersey pocket.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 19, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

a couple of greasy mcdoubles in my jersey pocket.

nice

the burger shirt

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I already posted this and got yelled at but my favorite riding snack is those mini cans of V8 tomato juice.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

numberoneposter posted:

ive definitely drifted towards eating stuff like granola bars, welchs fruit snacks, fruit bars, rice krispie squares, wasabi peas, i usually just go with the grade school snacks approach because its a hell of a lot cheaper than the science food / sports candy but still individually wrapped so its just as convenient and does 90% the job.

i do like me some hydration tabs though, and sometimes ill pick up the margarita/watermelon shot blocks because such a candy doesnt really exist otherwise, to my knowledge.

i think the most effective "real" food i brought on a big dumb ride was a couple of greasy mcdoubles in my jersey pocket.

the cycling equivalent of

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

numberoneposter posted:

I know you're not legit cuz you had two mcdoubles and not a mcgangbang.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

None of us will ever be as pro as Lael
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByuQ173gG4G/?hl=en

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I never said doubles randy that would be like four cheeseburgers

in other news i put on some new handlebars today because i'd been riding on the recalled whiskys

seems nice. easton ea90ax. slightly flattened top, flared shallower drop, slightly lighter.

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 19, 2023

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/shimano-tiagra-conventional-two-speed-saltwater-reel

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Dunno why these are so funny to me
https://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/northamerica/us/en/homepage/Shimano_Product_Page.P-ULTEGRA_17.html

Apr 7, 2003

Glad I never took up fishing

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Glad I never took up fishing

Right, because it's so expensive. There are too many accessories and gadgets to buy. And don't get me started on how everything is going to carbon fiber when the old materials were working just fine....

Apr 7, 2003

True story, I got a DSLR so I could take up photography while I was riding. The lenses beyond entry level are so insanely expensive that I figured I’d just bring my phone and spend the money I saved on my bikes instead.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Too bad Shimano doesn't have electronic reels so fishermen can have slap fights about electronic components as well.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

True story, I got a DSLR so I could take up photography while I was riding. The lenses beyond entry level are so insanely expensive that I figured I’d just bring my phone and spend the money I saved on my bikes instead.

Every time I've wanted to dip my toes into digital photography, I run into this issue. Yeah, you can get a decent DSLR for mid-three-figures. And it might even come with a general-purpose lens. But you quickly will have to move on, and holy crap does it get pricey. I used to buy the point-and-shoot digital cameras because they were better than any camera on a phone, but that stopped being the case a number of years ago. So when when we got our most recent phone upgrade, I went with the S21 that had the best camera and photography features, mostly because I'd started riding and there was a lot of stuff I wanted to take pictures of.

EvilJoven posted:

Too bad Shimano doesn't have electronic reels so fishermen can have slap fights about electronic components as well.

Give it time.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Just gotta look at the JDM options.

https://fish.shimano.com/ja-JP/prod...min=&price_max=

Cycling related: Holy piss I finally found a cycling jacket/jersey that will work for spring or layered for winter riding. I've been trying to find something that's DWR/windproof without just being a rain shell that fits my fat rear end. I have a long sleeve jersey that's fine but lol Windy City and sometimes it just doesn't cut it, it's also too heavy to wear above like 45 or so if there's not much wind. This should work - https://www.rei.com/product/157089/rei-co-op-junction-hybrid-cycling-jacket-mens

My only complaint is the baggy unstructured sleeve openings, but that is my complaint with so many long sleeve items these days. What is with that?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Probably because stretchy sleeves can feel really uncomfortable. I certainly don't like em. A good compromise would be a velcro strap like on a lot of hiking rain jackets. Maybe cost prohibitive for that price point?

Also lmao electric reels exist and some cost hundreds to thousands of dollars.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

Also lmao electric reels exist and some cost hundreds to thousands of dollars.

... and if you aren't using one, you might as well be fishing with a cane pole.

(Fun fact: as a child, I caught tons of fish with a cane pole. I've only caught a couple with a normal rod & reel.)

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

A good compromise would be a velcro strap like on a lot of hiking rain jackets. Maybe cost prohibitive for that price point?

My kingdom for a velcro strap. Gonna just order some velcro cable ties I think.

The infuriating thing is the description even says, "Shaped, adjustable cuffs with knit binding form a weather seal over your gloves."

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Last word on nutrition: breakfast is oatmeal and an entire golden teacher at 5 am for a hell of ride.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

osker posted:

Last word on nutrition: breakfast is oatmeal and an entire golden teacher at 5 am for a hell of ride.

I don't want to kink shame but what the heck is a golden teacher?

Also I remember sometime just after the first lockdowns in europe a bunch of pros were getting together for rides again. This one lot showed up for a gravel-type ride all with their loadout with food and gels etc. Then one guy, I think it was Nikki Terpstra (spelling?) rolled up with just a bunch of snickers bars and bananas electrical-taped to his frame.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I don't want to kink shame but what the heck is a golden teacher?
https://doubleblindmag.com/mushrooms/types/golden-teachers/

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Lol I never would have guessed

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Shimano Beastmaster GRX

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

jamal posted:

I never said doubles randy that would be like four cheeseburgers

in other news i put on some new handlebars today because i'd been riding on the recalled whiskys

seems nice. easton ea90ax. slightly flattened top, flared shallower drop, slightly lighter.

I couldn't get on with the flared drops on the ec70ax bars that came with my bike, it felt like I was doing a pushup when I held them. Although could be because they were too wide at the tops too. Switched them out for a size smaller of the easton sl bars and I feel more comfortable. I could see the use of the flare if there were any gravelly descents around here though.

I wanted to get some 8 degree flare bars, but the only ones I could find with that were the Cadex AR bars and some others which were insanely pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

osker posted:

Fun fact when Alan Hofmann discovered that his invention LSD would make you trip balls he was riding his bike home during the peak of the first ever acid trip.

April 19 is Bicycle Day in celebration of this wonderful discovery.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 19, 2023