Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I can't remember the last time I posted in this thread. I think I only posted a few times? And somebody gifted me this avatar for it.

What's been happening so far?

Definitely not Reynard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

CodfishCartographer posted:

Definitely not Reynard

Oh...

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The Gunnerkrigg Court thread's generosity is now a cross to bear.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Why isn't Reynard around, actually?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

reynard was annihilated

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
He’s gone to a better place: off-screen.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I can't remember the last time I posted in this thread. I think I only posted a few times? And somebody gifted me this avatar for it.

What's been happening so far?

imagine if a comic was bad

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
IT HAPPENED

offscreen

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

To actually elaborate for you: the quality of storytelling has fallen off, hard. The interesting villain has been replaced with an annoying and boring one who gets a lot of screentime with multiple chapters taking place from his perspective, a lot of very long-running plot threads were quickly wrapped up in very unsatisfying and abrupt ways, and most plot advancements tend to happen with people sitting in rooms and just saying all the cool interesting plot poo poo that happened off-screen (hence the thread title).

The lowest point in my opinion was a girl nearly being sexually assaulted in an alley by a group of minority immigrants.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Your two choices:

1. Don't catch up, and remember fondly when your avatar was an avatar from a great comic.
2. Do catch up, slowly caught by the sunken cost fallacy so you keep turning one more page, reassuring the thread in tones of increasingly desperate scrapping that there's going to be a turnaround, it's not that bad really, look this panel seems great, until you find your breaking point. Then tell the thread and join us in misery as we find out exactly how much deeper we can sink.

My personal breaking point and temporary ragequit was also the near sexual assault, or as I posted at the time

quote:

God this really is “girl nearly gets sexually assaulted for male character’s character development,” isn’t it? I was holding out some sliver of hope that’s gone now. I was excited to see Annie declaring they needed to do things themselves as a return to her having more agency in the narrative to… this.

But then I came crawling back because after 18 years of reading this comic, I even have the hardback volume, I just can't quit it until we finally limp, crawl, and sudden bad shoujo romance our way to this finish line.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I miss Coyote :(

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I miss Coyote :(

So do we all :negative:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

CodfishCartographer posted:

... most plot advancements tend to happen with people sitting in rooms and just saying all the cool interesting plot poo poo that happened off-screen (hence the thread title).

At least when this happened in Xenogears you could tell there was some kinda production reason behind it.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Rohan Kishibe posted:

At least when this happened in Xenogears you could tell there was some kinda production reason behind it.

I hate Xenogears but the game goes so unnecessarily hard in so many places that you can forgive it for doing text dumps and flashbacks of weird evangelion lore.

I'd liken that more to like Paranatural or something where the artist had to switch to storybook format to finish the story.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

worm girl posted:

I hate Xenogears but the game goes so unnecessarily hard in so many places that you can forgive it for doing text dumps and flashbacks of weird evangelion lore.

I'd liken that more to like Paranatural or something where the artist had to switch to storybook format to finish the story.

I thought Xenogears did that infodump-slash-abbreviation because they ran out of budget?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

XkyRauh posted:

I thought Xenogears did that infodump-slash-abbreviation because they ran out of budget?

Yeah, the money ran out halfway through.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does GC have a Patreon?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yes it's linked below the comic

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
It's super sad having the nice row of bound comics on my shelf and knowing it will never be complete because I'm not buying the bad ones.

No regrets over what I do have though. There's great stuff in there, and Tom deserved the support. I hope he can end this asap and re-find his mojo with something new.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Osmosisch posted:

It's super sad having the nice row of bound comics on my shelf and knowing it will never be complete because I'm not buying the bad ones.

No regrets over what I do have though. There's great stuff in there, and Tom deserved the support. I hope he can end this asap and re-find his mojo with something new.

I hope he does like, a collection of fables or otherwise keeps the story short and self-contained. It feels like Gunnerkrigg was at its best as a series of largely self-contained stories that explored different ideas and themes, with some growth and continuity between them. The problems seem to have started from trying to "raise the stakes" and shake up the status quo like you might see in a more traditional story structure, creating an overarching sense of urgency. This both led to a bunch of rapid awkwardly-paced developments, then made the pacing even worse once it started trying to do more slow, self-contained chapters again, because suddenly it's all under the ticking clock of "wasn't there a big villain we were supposed to be worried about?" so the story kind of tied itself into knots trying to explain why Loup at present was not actually a concern (he's hiding, he's going nuts, he's dormant in the forest trying to control his powers, he's now an ugly teen having ugly teen adventures, etc).

Like for the most part, up until that point, the threats in the story were "passive" in that they acted ominous and caused impediments (Coyote, the psychopomps, the Court, Jeanne, Tony), but did not actually reach out and pose a threat outside of that. Ysengrin attacked Annie once, but that happened within the confines of one chapter, did not actually injure her, was prompted by her going to the Forest (again, passive versus active - there is no monster seeking out the cast, there is no threat spurning action), and was pardoned on his next appearance. Jack was more actively chaotic, but still didn't really do much (and then was wrapped up in a chapter or two). And it worked, for a long time, but now that the story has to wrap up, it's clear that Tom does not write active threats nearly as well or at least does not know how to pace his story around them.

It's honestly amazing that the supposed final antagonist of the story, the Shadow Men and whoever else is behind Gunnerkrigg Court, still have no clear like... antagonistic goal. They're loving off to create their own reality. This isn't really a problem. It was going to be a problem because Zimmy, but now who cares, because Kat is killing her instead maybe, so the Court is just this unthreatening background entity again. I know not every story has a Big Bad to defeat, but some kind of climax would be good? I struggle to imagine what it will even look like at this point. I'm not sure Tom knows either.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 20, 2023

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Well... poo poo.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

fuckin lol

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Welp, time to angst about our inability to stop Kat.

I hope she turns into a head in a jar

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Welp, that’s one way to end the series. No moral.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Not sure if Kat dead or machine god transcended this prison of flesh, find out three years from now when an unrelated character mentions it in passing

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

lmao

I think maybe just the magnet exploded, not her brainstem

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
drat, RIP to a real one :sadwave:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Annie's pulling her gloves off wrong which shows her inexperience, not shocked that Kat exploded.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Lmao

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

lol

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Okay....... let Tom cook

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I know that page wasn't *supposed* to be funny, but poo poo.

I think the "Bang!" in big red letters like a slapstick cartoon is what does it.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 20, 2023

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Well done, 47

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Blasmeister posted:

Well done, 47

holy poo poo lmao

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Blasmeister posted:

Well done, 47

:perfect:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blasmeister posted:

Well done, 47

:five:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Tony Lazuto says hello

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸