Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's some longer comics on here that I'm feeling too lazy to translate. Would you like me to just post them and you lot deal with it?

I like your notes and appreciate them, but surely there's enough people who can read French that you shouldn't feel obligated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/happyroadkill/status/1626652568016326671?t=C99JLm5GK0Tsl7aKkHUwfA&s=19

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Xiahou Dun posted:

I like your notes and appreciate them, but surely there's enough people who can read French that you shouldn't feel obligated.

I think it's a grand effort

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Knight:

Dan Andrews will hit 3000 days as Victorian premier on Monday and that milestone means he gets a bronze statue so we are getting some takes.

Moir:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Leunig:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wasn't sure what order to read that Leunig in. It didn't seem to make much of a difference though.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm glad they help. Let's try posting them if only for the sake of the art. If you have any major questions let me know. These are definitely longer form comics.

Charlie Hebdo Extra

Angoulême: A shipwreck of a festival
This is an older piece on the BD Festival at Angoulême, but it's a good example of these longer form comics that are often reports in the field of their artists at events.
The texts are typically pretty snide. There's talk of cancel culture in the introduction here for example, in respect to an artist, Vives, accused of pedophilia on social media. CH takes the stand that Vives should've been allowed to present regardless.

:nsw:Breasts

A closer look: BD Author: Never happy
This is a piece I was thinking of translating later this weekend, since there isn't too much text but going panel to panel is a bit much to do on a regular basis and sometimes the comics get taken off the front page and since I don't often dive into their archives there's a lot we end up missing. It covers complaints about a changing industry. To no one's surprise it's petty.

Both this and the above were done by Juin. The style here is different since like first comic Juin is reporting from the National Assembly on how they're voting/acting on the retirement law. It's pretty by the books reporting with some choice quotes on the right the best being the bottom right one, "If we live longer it's because we work less, but if we were to work more we'd begin to live less."

This isn't live drawings from this convention but rather a mocking piece on a parapsychological convention held near Paris. It's a long piece and with the text placement where it is, it'd be very tedious to write below a line by line translation. If I knew a quick and easy way to replace the text bubbles with my limited skill and equipment that'd likely be the best option.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Grape posted:

Star Fox: Pripyat Wars

Do a war crime! (Z or R twice)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Matt Davies

Ann Telnaes

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Darrin Bell

Mike Peters

Randall Enos

Drew Sheneman

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kellies nomination: Worst Label

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I haven’t checked on this thread in forever and maybe this has been discussed to death already, but how sure are we that Hitch isn’t Horsey’s alter ego?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jesus christ, the little badge with the crossed out star of david on it. gently caress off into the sun

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm honestly kind of worried this WILL blow over and nothing will be done to meaningfully address the root problems that caused it to happen in the first place, thus allowing it to potentially happen again in a way that's as bad or even worse.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm honestly kind of worried this WILL blow over and nothing will be done to meaningfully address the root problems that caused it to happen in the first place, thus allowing it to potentially happen again in a way that's as bad or even worse.

We literally do not know the root cause. The preliminary report isn’t going to be out for around another week and a half. Everyone commenting is just trying to read their preferred narrative into it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

We literally do not know the root cause. The preliminary report isn’t going to be out for around another week and a half. Everyone commenting is just trying to read their preferred narrative into it.

Pretending like the root cause is totally unknowable and we can't make an educated guess based on recent history and what rail workers are saying about it is also reading a preferred narrative into it, hth.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Was Nicola Sturgeon really bad or does the British press simply hate the fact she is Scottish?

\/ Thank you, Angepain and Adenoid Dan for your replies!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 18, 2023

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I think part of it is that she's not a terf. Which they hate.

But I only see a small amount of the coverage of her so I could be way off base.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Was Nicola Sturgeon really bad or does the British press simply hate the fact she is Scottish?

She had her flaws but in short, yes the british press hate her for stupid reasons. Part of it is she's the figurehead for the abstract concept of scottish independence, and the british media refuse to understand the reasons people support that and assume it's a big cult of personality for Sturgeon personally. Also she's moderately left of center and has said nice things sbout how the EU and immigration is good actually, she (eventually) passed some minor trans rights reforms, and while she only handled covid slightly better than the UK government she never tried to downplay the danger of it like Boris et al did. She was not an actual leftist, but she was a competent and decent leader for the most part.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

Jesus christ, the little badge with the crossed out star of david on it. gently caress off into the sun
How else are the readers meant to know he's the antisemite that I keep insisting that he is if I'm not allowed to draw awful things that only happened in my head?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
My mother in law has never lived in scotland or had any dealings with the snp or their policies and she despises nicola sturgeon to the extent we have to change the channel when she comes on because she just starts telling us at length how she's the worst politician to have ever existed in history, with the possible exception of gordon brown. Might just be Scottish people she has a problem with but it's very ingrained at this point

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Andy Marlette

Gary Markstein

John Deering

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, but I feel like my point still stands. It's less a commentary on this specific incident and more an acknowledgement that there's a long history of companies instituting terrible cost cutting policies and then continuing to inact those policies even after they've been shown to cause direct and obvious harm that could easily be avoided were those policies changed.

It could be that this was just a freak accident, but there's also a chance it was caused by blatant disregard for safety procedures by upper management and if that's the case I'm concerned not enough will be done to force those in power to enact meaningful change.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
jesus gently caress, stop complaining about bug proteins!

of all the worthless whining they do, i don't know why this one just seems so annoyingly pointless to me

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

And meanwhile, back in 1950:

Managing to be clever and stupid at the same time. And yeah, Parrish and Orr are doing a lot of "heroic Tailgunner Joe bringing the truth to light" cartoons around this time.

Again, striking design but silly message.

Still going on about innocent little Teapot Dome in 1950. But then, there are still people trying to refight Watergate today.

. 6

The Trib was very happy about the defeat of Claude Pepper, a lefty senator from Florida.

Poor little rich stray cat!

That is a truly excellent camel.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Last I checked a senator is also from the government.

Hey, out of curiosity, what were Bennett's cartoons like when Trump took that cognitive test?

Shut the gently caress up, Bennett.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Discendo Vox posted:

We literally do not know the root cause.

Are you loving serious

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Rishi Sunak trying to reach Northern Ireland protocol deal – PM faces threat of a fresh Conservative rebellion in his attempt to break the post-Brexit deadlock"

Telegraph:

Lukashenko warns Belarus will join Russia in war if attacked

Independent:

DUP leader ‘hopeful’ deal can be done on NI protocol but insists work remains After Franz von Stuck.

The i paper:

Sunak – Government not backing away from bigger sewage fines for water companies

Times:

Nicola Bulley: Sunak criticises police over health revelations

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

It's no skull donkey, but nose donkey has a great face, though it's a little terrifying when it's on a long neck.

(I am very bad at editing)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, but I feel like my point still stands. It's less a commentary on this specific incident and more an acknowledgement that there's a long history of companies instituting terrible cost cutting policies and then continuing to inact those policies even after they've been shown to cause direct and obvious harm that could easily be avoided were those policies changed.

It could be that this was just a freak accident, but there's also a chance it was caused by blatant disregard for safety procedures by upper management and if that's the case I'm concerned not enough will be done to force those in power to enact meaningful change.

You asserted, directly, "the root problems that caused it to happen in the first place", following from a twitter cartoon that similarly just asserted them. Don't do that.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
We know that deregulation makes these accidents more likely. That's enough. If we wait for definitive analysis, that can take months. The story will have faded and the opportunity for discussion will be mostly gone.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Adenoid Dan posted:

We know that deregulation makes these accidents more likely. That's enough. If we wait for definitive analysis, that can take months. The story will have faded and the opportunity for discussion will be mostly gone.

a) This is not "definitive analysis", it's "literally any formal investigation from the agencies responsible".
b) It's coming out in days.
c) There is absolutely nothing preventing "the opportunity for discussion" when we actually have information about what has happened.
d) You should not prioritize making up things you want to believe and relying on them in order to get the conclusions you want.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

a) This is not "definitive analysis", it's "literally any formal investigation from the agencies responsible".
b) It's coming out in days.
c) There is absolutely nothing preventing "the opportunity for discussion" when we actually have information about what has happened.
d) You should not prioritize making up things you want to believe and relying on them in order to get the conclusions you want.

The news cycle absolutely limits opportunity for impactful discussion on any issue.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Adenoid Dan posted:

The news cycle absolutely limits opportunity for impactful discussion on any issue.

a. No, it doesn't, especially not here, which is where people are internalizing and making these claims without evidence. The report is public- it doesn't have to be mediated for us to understand or discuss it.
b. Do you really think "the news cycle" isn't going to cover the actual investigation?
c. Even if all of this were true, it would not justify misrepresenting the actual facts of the situation in order to have "impactful discussion" - lying to pursue goals unmoored from reality.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

You can organize your arguments in something other that bullet points, yknow?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hihohe posted:

You can organize your arguments in something other that bullet points, yknow?

1) No
2) You won't care

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Nobody is just making things up out of thin air. This has followed a rail worker strike where the main issues were safety related, and initial reports have pointed to a mechanical issue with an axle.

This didn't happen in a vacuum.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 18, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Discendo Vox posted:

a. No, it doesn't, especially not here, which is where people are internalizing and making these claims without evidence. The report is public- it doesn't have to be mediated for us to understand or discuss it.
b. Do you really think "the news cycle" isn't going to cover the actual investigation?
c. Even if all of this were true, it would not justify misrepresenting the actual facts of the situation in order to have "impactful discussion" - lying to pursue goals unmoored from reality.
Of course it does, especially here. If I quote a post from a week ago and say "the report was out, I accept your apology" I'll rightfully be probed as the psycho I am. If anything our focus, here in a thread, is even smaller because we cycle through topics even quicker than the media who has to fill up dead air.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Adenoid Dan posted:

Nobody is just making things up out of thin air. This has followed a rail worker strike where the main issues were safety related, and initial reports have pointed to a mechanical issue with an axle.

This didn't happen in a vacuum.

You are admitting you don't actually know what went wrong, but you want to assume it's something specific to push for a political agenda.

Just because I might agree with those political beliefs doesn't make that not intensely hosed up and a symptom of why we can't have a functioning government.

We need to actually know what the root cause of the problem is.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Of course it does, especially here. If I quote a post from a week ago and say "the report was out, I accept your apology" I'll rightfully be probed as the psycho I am. If anything our focus, here in a thread, is even smaller because we cycle through topics even quicker than the media who has to fill up dead air.

The reason you'd be probed isn't just for being a psycho, but for lacking object permanence: you'd using information you didn't previously have to say that you already had it, and you're using it to justify attacking someone for correctly identifying that you didn't have that information in the past.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

You are admitting you don't actually know what went wrong, but you want to assume it's something specific to push for a political agenda.

Just because I might agree with those political beliefs doesn't make that not intensely hosed up and a symptom of why we can't have a functioning government.

We need to actually know what the root cause of the problem is.

Why do we have to wait for the root cause of this crash to oppose deregulation and lack of safety standards, we already know those things are a problem. If they didn't cause this accident, they'll cause some accident.

Not to say finding the root cause of this crash isn't important on it's own. Of course it is! If it turns out to be something else we need to know so we can fix that too. But I don't see why we have to wait to fix other problems we know exist whether they contributed to this particular crash or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Why do we have to wait for the root cause of this crash to oppose deregulation and lack of safety standards, we already know those things are a problem. If they didn't cause this accident, they'll cause some accident.

Not to say finding the root cause of this crash isn't important on it's own. Of course it is! If it turns out to be something else we need to know so we can fix that too. But I don't see why we have to wait to fix other problems we know exist whether they contributed to this particular crash or not.

Did I say that?

I've opposed deregulation for my entire adult life and I'm going to do that regardless. And deregulation is a natural and probable factor in at least making this tragedy as bad as it seems to be.

But that's actually why I'm careful to wait for information. Because I give a poo poo about regulating public infrastructure and the handling of toxic materials, I want to be correct when I argue for them. It weakens my argument long-term if I sweep in bad evidence because it short term could grift me some good press.

You basically just said, "Hey, this is a good cause, so why don't you use some bad faith arguments to promote it?" Because I actually care about my positions.