Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Stevie Lee posted:

the new notification icon for google messages sucks. it doesn't even change when you have multiple new messages like the old one did

I was thinking the same thing. It defaults to looking like there's multiple.

And it looks a little like a mirror of the Facebook Messenger icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

field balm posted:

OK I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly, but I've got a trip coming up and I'd like to be able to have some sort of wiki like thing where I can have different pages for different cities and then on those pages have text and inline images (loads of screenshots off instagram, web pages etc). Probably some sort of note app that let's you include images?

I guess I could just chuck the screenshots in folders but I'd like to be able to annotate etc as well.

Notion would be good for this as well, although no offline support might be a deal breaker while traveling (no data access)

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I finally got the Coolwalk Update for Android Auto. Being in Germany we still don't get speed limits (and other stuff) shown on Maps so I was wondering if there's an app that shows information and can be used with the new Coolwalk interface (so you have Maps on the left side and then music player + speed limits, etc. on the right). Anyone got any tips? Is this even possible?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Is there an android audiobook player that plays mp3 audiobooks and accepts Assistant commands?

I've been listening to YouTube audiobooks and the ability to use "Hey Google, go back 15 minutes" has been really nice when listening to audiobooks at work or in the car, and my go-to, Listen Audiobook Player, doesn't have that capability.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

maltesh posted:

Is there an android audiobook player that plays mp3 audiobooks and accepts Assistant commands?

I've been listening to YouTube audiobooks and the ability to use "Hey Google, go back 15 minutes" has been really nice when listening to audiobooks at work or in the car, and my go-to, Listen Audiobook Player, doesn't have that capability.

Maybe Smart AudioBook Player? It's been a while since I've used it but I think it did mp3s at least.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I've got Smart Audiobook Player, alas, it doesn't seem to work with Assistant's.voice commands.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I actually moved to Plex last year for audiobooks. The actual Plex app on Android isn't great for them, but there's an alternate client called Chronicle that works great for me. Can listen to books on my phone or computer and it syncs progress just like Plex movies and TV shows.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I'm looking for a good to-do list or notes app that works with a homescreen widget. Extremely little friction if possible, like tap, write something, hit okay. I need to take notes or remember things and I feel like every to-do list app always has this "okay, when do you want to schedule it, do you want it to be in this category, is it recurring..." thing that just stresses me out.

Ideally, I would be able to scroll through these via the widget without 'tap to view more' stuff. Desktop syncing would be extremely ideal but not 100% necessary since I know a lot of apps charge subscriptions for that and I don't want to pay for it.

I used to use Stuff To-Do List Widget for this, but the exporting is kind of a pain and it hasn't updated in over a year, and it'd be nice to have something a little more modern.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 18, 2023

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Keep does all that, you can even scroll the widget

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yep Google Keep is fairly simplistic but it is great for basic notes and to do lists. Use the app, access it via any browser for easy syncing

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Medullah posted:

Yep Google Keep is fairly simplistic but it is great for basic notes and to do lists. Use the app, access it via any browser for easy syncing

I think that is a slight misrepresentation - Keep can be simplistic, but it has a surprisingly deep set of features.

It's one of the best Google apps but is also one a lot of people seem unaware of.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think that is a slight misrepresentation - Keep can be simplistic, but it has a surprisingly deep set of features.

It's one of the best Google apps but is also one a lot of people seem unaware of.

Oh yeah for sure, it's super versatile but isn't overly complex to start using

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Uthor posted:

I was thinking the same thing. It defaults to looking like there's multiple.

And it looks a little like a mirror of the Facebook Messenger icon.

this is still pissing me off. nothing else supports RCS yet, right?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Been trying Keep. It's not 100% perfect but it is nice - and honestly I doubt anything will be unless I learn how to make an app myself, and that isn't happening anytime soon. I wish they had more skins, mostly. :v:

Thanks everyone!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can add pictures to checklists for some reason so you can add a terrible picture of your cat looking like an idiot to the shopping list for example

An important feature as it will also show in the widget

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Medullah posted:

Oh poo poo, reading this makes me think Google will kill it since its useful and not monitized heavily.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

redeyes posted:

Oh poo poo, reading this makes me think Google will kill it since its useful and not monitized heavily.

First they'll add chat to it

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah to be honest that's always been part of my hesitation to use Keep, is knowing Google's reputation for axing things. But it's stuck around this long, so...

Also thank you for the cat pics tip this is so important.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, people have commented in the thread before that they don't use Keep despite knowing it's great because they don't want to get used to it and then have Google axe it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm looking for a good to-do list or notes app that works with a homescreen widget. Extremely little friction if possible, like tap, write something, hit okay.

Anylist does this. You can either have it display a list and it has a + sign or a list of lists with their own +add item buttons. The only drawback is that it opens the app to add the item but it is to a focused entry box with OK as the one tap action. Super simple. Crossing off items happens in the widget.

Syncs between users, active development, developer is adding new features all the time. We don't use most of them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What do people use for weather apps these days? I'd like one with a forecast widget, but just one that reflects actual current weather conditions would be nice

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I use Wunderground, partly out of longstanding habit. The app hasn't seemed as good since IBM became involved with it in some way, but it's still my go-to.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using Foreca for a few months now since it's one of the most reliable services for my area. I don't use widgets so I can't speak to that, but I it the persistent notification is fine.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I like the widgets for 1Weather but the app is full of trashy clickbait bullshit and I refuse to tap into it anymore.

My local mesonet has a pretty good app but I find the widgets lacking; you may check for your state to see if you have something like that.

Weather Underground has some OK widgets and an OK app but I remember their early days before IBM and how much better it was then. They have been steadily fixing bugs and the app's in decent state these days.

I like RadarScope for radar.

If you're in the US, the National Weather Service fixed a lot of their local forecast office pages so they look good on mobile. A shortcut to that plus the Google Today widget may be all you need. (or whatever they call that now, the thing that has current weather and upcoming reminders etc).

effika fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 7, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I like Appy Weather, still. The widgets are great and it still has access to Dark Sky.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I like Overdrop and Today Weather, but can use the dark sky api for now while it's still around and both have pretty extensive options including AccuWeather (only on the paid version of Overdrop) once Dark Sky shutters the API.

I still just use Google's today widget mostly though.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm looking for a good to-do list or notes app that works with a homescreen widget.

Simplenote supports to-do list widgets. I don't actually use it for that -- I just use it for jotting down notes on my phone that I want to be available in my desktop browser too, while being less of a pain in the arse than OneNote -- but it's lightweight, straightforward, and (iirc) free. Worth a look.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Not too thrilled with Spotify's recent announcements about how they're further changing the home page... tried out YouTube Music again after quickly bailing on it a few years ago and it's actually really good now! Interface is simple and clean - easy to find stuff - and shuffle actually works properly. I think I'll probably cancel my Spotify sub for good now.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

UncleGuito posted:

Not too thrilled with Spotify's recent announcements about how they're further changing the home page... tried out YouTube Music again after quickly bailing on it a few years ago and it's actually really good now! Interface is simple and clean - easy to find stuff - and shuffle actually works properly. I think I'll probably cancel my Spotify sub for good now.

You also get ad free YouTube without going through hoops! They just added 'your music tuner's that seems like a configurable SuperMix. Not sure if that's for everyone or not yet.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone confirm whether the new Galaxy S23 has built-in Call Recording enabled for the USA phone app? The Samsung rep says yes, but I can't find anything in print confirming it (though Samsung India has a video confirming they have it). I know Google are dicks about it due to informed consent laws. I need it for work because I ask vendors to agree to be recorded when they promise me deals. I got Zoom for $6/user/month pre-covid and when they tried to jack up prices, and that covered my butt, for example.

edit: Ah gently caress I knew it, Sammy Rep was wrong, Samsung hides the option in the US. Apparently you can flash a CSC (country/carrier product code) from another country with the Odin tool to get it to appear, and it will retain Knox verification, but I guess that gives you goofy APNs and other ramifications.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 10, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What are people replacing signal with? I used it for SMS and since they are deleting that killer feature I'm done with it. I don't really trust or like the Samsung default sms app.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

H110Hawk posted:

What are people replacing signal with? I used it for SMS and since they are deleting that killer feature I'm done with it. I don't really trust or like the Samsung default sms app.

I use Signal and Messages by Google

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Messages doesn't have a dark mode and it is killing me

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Inceltown posted:

Google's Messages definitely does via "Choose theme" in the hamburger menu. Or is that also the name of a 3rd party app?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Inceltown posted:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Inceltown posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging
Make sure it's messages by Google and see above

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
What's happening with Signal? Did they sell out?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
They're yanking sms support.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

They're yanking sms support.

Got it, thanks and good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And going to messages seems like letting them win, given one of their stated reasons is crying about messages supporting some proprietary protocol.