Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Isn't the rumor that the next rear end Creed release Infinity will be less of a game, and more a platform which will host everything from now-on?

So no longer just-before-holiday releases and steep discounts to previous games after new one is out, now you are stuck paying 50+ Eur to unlock new campaigns in Infinity platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

Isn't the rumor that the next rear end Creed release Infinity will be less of a game, and more a platform which will host everything from now-on?

yeah the name of the actual next game is mirage

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I thought Infinity was gonna be more like a glorified launcher / place for the meta story to be played separate from individual games.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think mainly its going to be stupid and annoying, most likely

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mirage itself seems pretty cool, i like the idea of scaling back to one city.

however i have a feeling that the "river raids" procedurally generated poo poo from valhalla was a sort of test run for what they are going to do with infinity and i dont think its going to be good.happy to be proven wrong

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Sandwolf posted:

I thought Infinity was gonna be more like a glorified launcher / place for the meta story to be played separate from individual games.

Ubisoft doesn't explain what exactly will it be. Considering they have several games in development (4 if you count mobile Assassin's Impact game) I gather it would be some meta thing like buy Ezio's belt and be able to use it in 4 games. Or maybe it was something more but they scrapped the idea.

Earwicker posted:

seems like most big game companies in general have dialed down that poo poo somewhat the last few years but also i stopped paying as much attention

This is my perception too. Again, time boosters are cancer, but the ones they use in AC are pointless ones. AC has a lot of BS micro transactions but the devs learned to make them separate and non-intrusive if you aren't interested. Unity said that you can buy this new pistol for 1000 bucks but you know you can also get it for 10 special premium crystals or whatever. It's too predatory for a f2p mobile game and was criminal in a full-priced game.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They largely still have the boosters but those probably didn't sell as well. Nowadays their full price games get an endless amount of premium skins you can only buy with a special currency you exclusively get in fixed quantities for real money. Except for the tiny amount included in "gold" editions, worth a fraction of one of these skins but enough to buy some XP boosters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're usually enough for a horse skin so I just buy that then never look at it again lol

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Rinkles posted:

I hated hunting in AC4, for me it didn't belong in a game that was already an awkward combination of two different genres (pirating and assassination). The whole game didn't click for me, though I saw some of the appeal of the ship side of things when I started chasing more upgrades. I liked that there was more tension and strategy to naval fights than in Odyssey, but it was still ultimately pretty shallow.

I probably would've enjoyed the game if it fully committed to being a pirate game, and abandoned the AC baggage (but that was never gonna happen).

I enjoyed the hunting for its simple historical representation - yes, it's not very well known in popular culture but people really did go out and fished humongous whales out of tiny little rowboats (admittedly they didn't do it with ONE tiny little rowboat).
The gameplay aspect of it was, however, VERY old hat, made doubly old by the repetition, I agree.

I also thought the naval combat was too arcade-y. I know it would have had much less commercial success if it had been as slow paced and ponderous as that of e.g. Sea Dogs, and I'm not asking for hyper-realistic, 6 hour long engagements but I mean... c'mon. It's a *sailing age* naval battle. Make the wind, the weather gauge and ship manoeuvers even a *little* relevant, at least ! To say nothing about nixing a full-bore, point-blank man'o war volley through the clever trick of... ducking down a little. Didn't see that one coming, eh, lobsterback ?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

orcane posted:

Nowadays their full price games get an endless amount of premium skins you can only buy with a special currency you exclusively get in fixed quantities for real money.

whats weird is most of those "premium skins" are generally either themed around earlier games in the ac series, other ubisoft games, or are they just ridiculously garish and don't fit in with the setting at all.

i dont really understand who is tempted to buy that crap but it must sell or they wouldnt be making them

Kobal2 posted:

Make the wind, the weather gauge and ship manoeuvers even a *little* relevant, at least ! To say nothing about nixing a full-bore, point-blank man'o war volley through the clever trick of... ducking down a little.

i really dont think ac has ever meant to be that kind of game and i dont think it would go too well for ubisoft if they expected their audience to start dealing with actual wind and ballistics, and it would be a lot of effort to build considering likely knew they'd be getting rid of all that stuff for the next game anyway.

there is always going to be a small group of people annoyed by these things, but imo there's a good reason ac4 is one of the most well loved in the series

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 4, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kobal2 posted:

To say nothing about nixing a full-bore, point-blank man'o war volley through the clever trick of... ducking down a little.

This is just videogames though, to be fair. If Nate Drake gets shot through the gut with an anti-tank rifle he just has to pause to catch his breath and he's good to go.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Lobok posted:

This is just videogames though, to be fair. If Nate Drake gets shot through the gut with an anti-tank rifle he just has to pause to catch his breath and he's good to go.

Of course, but it's downright weird that you can either :
- truck along, man'o war shoots you, fully one fourth of your boat's health evaporates
- duck, the exact same volley does next to nothing.

That's just silly to me, jars me right out of the believies. I dunno, give me some Ancient Alien magitek to handwave that stuff if you really want a more active/arcade defensive gameplay than just biggening your healthbar and learning to stay the gently caress away from a broadside, that's fine. It doesn't have to make sense at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kobal2 posted:

That's just silly to me, jars me right out of the believies.

i don't see how it's any less believable than the complete absence of the dutch or french in the caribbean during that period or the fact that sea shanties are learned by chasing floaty glowing magic notes over the rooftops

imo the real downer in the ship combat is odyssey because there's just not many ways to make a bunch of archers fun after you get to play with cannons

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The most fun part about the naval combat in Odyssey is that you can summon your own mom to stab pirates with you but unfortunately you must wait almost the entire game to make that happen.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kobal2 posted:

Of course, but it's downright weird that you can either :
- truck along, man'o war shoots you, fully one fourth of your boat's health evaporates
- duck, the exact same volley does next to nothing.

That's just silly to me, jars me right out of the believies. I dunno, give me some Ancient Alien magitek to handwave that stuff if you really want a more active/arcade defensive gameplay than just biggening your healthbar and learning to stay the gently caress away from a broadside, that's fine. It doesn't have to make sense at all.

I guess it's just personal preference. My Drake example was poor because ducking a volley is not about impossible HP or healing but is really just i-frames or parry or block. And often in a game there'll be things that logically or intuitively will hurt you but the game rewards intention and timing and negates it all if you block or roll "through" it at the right moment. A monster swinging a sword the size of a telephone pole should cut through you whether or not you cross your arms in front of your face.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Earwicker posted:

i don't see how it's any less believable than the complete absence of the dutch or french in the caribbean during that period or the fact that sea shanties are learned by chasing floaty glowing magic notes over the rooftops

imo the real downer in the ship combat is odyssey because there's just not many ways to make a bunch of archers fun after you get to play with cannons

archers are only there to give you something to do while you reposition for ramming

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

exquisite tea posted:

The most fun part about the naval combat in Odyssey is that you can summon your own mom to stab pirates with you but unfortunately you must wait almost the entire game to make that happen.

Having the ship fully staffed by your family is probably the most cathartic part of Odyssey, they even have little conversations the first time you set sail with them. Shame about the other two endings and all the DLC though.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

archers are only there to give you something to do while you reposition for ramming

Yeah, ramming at top speed while Kassandra yells excitedly was great

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exquisite tea posted:

Mine is that you can just jump on other ships of your smart enough and turn them into ghost ships

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/RhodeToLove/status/1622338999598698502?s=20

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

assassin's creed malaka

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I will say the ancient trilogy and ac in general has some really good music.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'm a little sad that the Grammy went to a big franchise and not to Christopher Tin's work on Old World, but hey, he already has a couple Grammy's.

And music is fine in those games, just like all aesthetics. I didn't play Dawn of Ragnarok but in general Valhalla feels weaker than other games cause the soundtrack, while moody, is very unmemorable. Videogames are scared of colorful soundtracks for some reason! I only remember raiding the monastery theme from Valhalla, while Origins and Odyssey have so many bangers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ilitarist posted:

I'm a little sad that the Grammy went to a big franchise and not to Christopher Tin's work on Old World, but hey, he already has a couple Grammy's.

And music is fine in those games, just like all aesthetics. I didn't play Dawn of Ragnarok but in general Valhalla feels weaker than other games cause the soundtrack, while moody, is very unmemorable. Videogames are scared of colorful soundtracks for some reason! I only remember raiding the monastery theme from Valhalla, while Origins and Odyssey have so many bangers.

That’s what I was sad about odyssey and origins had fantastic music and Valhalla was just boring.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Valhalla Experience

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think the grammy was specifically for music in the ragnarok dlc, which i havent heard yet

i was already a fan of Kvitrafn/Warduna etc. before the game, so there's a lot about the Valhalla soundtrack i like, but i thought it should have been heavier at times. also the game had a lot of bad audio mixing issues that earlier games didn't. not the composers' fault obviously but it definitely dampened the music experience for me.

but i agree Origins is better, imo its the best music in the whole series. especially the ambient music that plays when you fly the hawk around, its so good. all three games in that trilogy have the same main composer, Sarah Shachner.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I purchased Valhalla during the New Year sale and Ubisoft Connect says I'm 48% through after 78 hours. Help there's too much game. :downs:

It's a weird feeling, but having played Odyssey before it feels like Valhalla makes a surprising amount of steps backwards.
I'm really missing the Mercs hunting you, the story is falling rather flat for me, there's not enough flirting and snogging and the abilities feel way too grounded in a game where I literally went to Asgard (which was boring. HOW!).

I think I need to start avoiding optional markers/river raids/roguelike/mastery challenges and just beeline the main questline before I burn out on the game.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Lamquin posted:

I think I need to start avoiding optional markers/river raids/roguelike/mastery challenges and just beeline the main questline before I burn out on the game.

Absolutely, it's the only way to do it

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
River raids in Valhalla are the worst. The fact that you have to pre-clear them is no fun. In fact everything about chasing down artifacts and titanium or w/e supplies for weapon building is no fun compared to the weapon collection in Odyssey.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ilitarist posted:

get into FFXIV imo

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Oh dear me posted:

Absolutely, it's the only way to do it

Ubisoft definitely shoot themselves in the foot by selling time savers and boosters and putting checkmarks everywhere making people think that they're supposed to clear out all the icons on the map.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when i played the main game the river raids thing hadnt come out yet so it was a bit easier to focus but even then it felt quite bloated

also there's really not much point to the final few upgrade levels of the village

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lamquin posted:

I purchased Valhalla during the New Year sale and Ubisoft Connect says I'm 48% through after 78 hours. Help there's too much game. :downs:

It's a weird feeling, but having played Odyssey before it feels like Valhalla makes a surprising amount of steps backwards.
I'm really missing the Mercs hunting you, the story is falling rather flat for me, there's not enough flirting and snogging and the abilities feel way too grounded in a game where I literally went to Asgard (which was boring. HOW!).

yeah vahallas combat it too idk automatic and easy. its puts looking cool over fun and never feels chalanging outside some ublocakble bullshit, odyssys feels semi souls like where you have to dodge and time strikes and whittle down crowds and poo poo. also the setting feels way way lazier. like AC has never been about 100000 accuracy but they ussualy get a bunch of stuff rightish. Valhalla just never tries but never does anything interesting. egypt and greece are just better settings and the time periods are always way more dope.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sakurazuka posted:

They're usually enough for a horse skin so I just buy that then never look at it again lol

I am enjoying in AC Odyssey having a fire horse. Makes the janky horse movement less noticeable.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Lately, I tried to do all the possible stuff in Origins cause it continues to call me back. I've fought some bonus bosses in the Arena but I'm extremely irritated by the fact that you have to fight 3 separate wave-based hordes before you're allowed to fight a new boss so I didn't do all of them. Elephants got pretty boring too. Those god fights are a clear hint AC dev team would rather make some other type of game, but they kept me on my toes and they probably work as a motivation to farm scorpions to get star shards to apply final upgrades to everything, and then roll these loot boxes hoping for marginally better gear. I think Odyssey and Valhalla do a better job with this endgame for strange people who are not fed up by the game after doing all the good content. Still it was cool to check out all the remaining marked locations on the map - there are plenty of unmarked ones and you can see them in... Discovery tour!

I think Discovery Tour is very important to these games. It's easy to dismiss the world as generic. Lots of people think the RPG trilogy is less "historical" than previous entries. These tours help you see why certain decisions were made based on some historical decisions and what is the stuff around you. There are plenty of sites in the worlds that have no relations to any in-game story but are still special, like Mouseion of Alexandria which has a lot of neat details and you won't even notice it's there. Every crop field has a robust system of channels and pumps bringing the water from the Nile. Plenty of people in the back alleys of the streets are not just sitting there with idle animations but do some complex activities or crafts. Perhaps there should be a better way to highlight those places and things in-game, but it would be weird if characters would recognize it - those games already feel like cartoons for kids cause your MC is always on a first-name basis with everyone you know from the period - and the old approach with encyclopedia pop-ups is too dry and inconvenient cause it often appears when you're in the middle of something. Maybe these tours would have worked better if they were integrated in the main campaign. It would make total sense for a person in the animus to say they want a better understanding of something and switch to a tour. I know that only a couple of loading screens separates you from a tour, but you know what I mean. Participate in a battle and immediately see a point with some panorama of the battle giving it a wider context.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
An underrated but important aspect of Discovery Tour in Origins is that Shaun "loving" Hastings is not involved.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah vahallas combat it too idk automatic and easy. its puts looking cool over fun and never feels chalanging outside some ublocakble bullshit, odyssys feels semi souls like where you have to dodge and time strikes and whittle down crowds and poo poo. also the setting feels way way lazier. like AC has never been about 100000 accuracy but they ussualy get a bunch of stuff rightish. Valhalla just never tries but never does anything interesting. egypt and greece are just better settings and the time periods are always way more dope.

Yeah ancient Egypt and Greece are just way more visually interesting than Anglo-Saxon England, Athens was amazing.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

An underrated but important aspect of Discovery Tour in Origins is that Shaun "loving" Hastings is not involved.

I appreciate them not having any jokes at all, but the text feels too dry for how surface-level it is.

I've seen a little bit of Odyssey Discovery Tour and I think they've improved it by going a little bit deeper. You get basic narration by specific personalities so it feels much more alive, but there's also additional or meta information, it's more in-depth and is not bound by VA budget as much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G97lx7orMN8 Looks dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I keep thinking it looks cool then it reminds me you're playing as loving Basim lol