Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
The end result was definitely more for the show than anything else given the small size/throughput and amount of staffing it'd need even being that small, but I wouldn't have been surprised if their intent originally was to make a viable restaurant before all the permissions were denied. Like hiring someone full-time to ferry people between the store and restaurant is a crazy expense given how few patrons at a time there are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

FogHelmut posted:

Jeremy Clarkson is only 62 years old.

It's the mileage, not the years for him.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Second series was surprisingly good. Jeremy's basically playing a Farm Management Sim in sandbox mode IRL. Just buy whatever device/animals seem interesting, and turn a profit in 22,000 years. Put it on "antelope" speed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ether Frenzy posted:

Second series was surprisingly good. Jeremy's basically playing a Farm Management Sim in sandbox mode IRL. Just buy whatever device/animals seem interesting, and turn a profit in 22,000 years. Put it on "antelope" speed.

I think the first season was more like a farm management sim, while the second season was a rim world randy random playing the town council to find new ways to gently caress Clarkson over.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I was so sure the thing with the mandolin was a bit, but nope, he did like the one thing you should never do with a mandolin (use one, lol).

Also, Ive realized I dont understand Clarkson at all. If you watch this show he seems like someone who legitimately cares about the world, animals, some parts of the environment. But then you read some of the other poo poo he writes and it just doesnt square up at all. Does he just like stirring poo poo up?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it's a case where he only cares about the things that affect him. He started caring about his farm, and now suddenly the things that affect his farm are important to him.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"I don't believe a single word I write." - J. Clarkson.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's the mileage, not the years for him.

It's also closer to what most 62yos look like as opposed to what "TV 62yo" usually looks like.

frogbs posted:

Does he just like stirring poo poo up?

Not all the time, because he does have plenty of poo poo opinions, but yeah, a lot of the time it's this. It can be easy to read his pieces and completely miss subtext and satire. And remember that while he's had plenty of real scandals, plenty of "Clarkson Scandals" are just poo poo whipped up by opposing tabloid outlets who both genuinely loathe him and also stand to profit from it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He has a great sense for what he can act peevish or scandalized by and get a rise out of the audience, even if it's wildly inconsistent in stance from one moment to the next. One minute he's showcasing the precarious situation English farmers are in post-Brexit and how much it's hosed everyone over now that the safety net is gone, and the next minute he's rolling his eyes at regulations and saying "I hate the government, I really do"

The same audience member can nod along and be mad right along with him from one conceptual pratfall to the next without ever noticing the incoherence, or caring. It's just TV after all

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You don't get to have a career like his without learning a thing or two about how to play an audience.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cojawfee posted:

I got to the council meeting episode. While I'm sure this show is edited to show Clarkson in the best possible light, that was a bunch of bullshit. The cafe is a great idea, his plan for the building basically showcases the AONB for the patrons, and it supports and is supported by local farmers. Blocking that was dumb as poo poo. Those council members are idiots. I can definitely see how British people can easily get upset over the stupidity of their government. A lot of issues he has that his fellow farmers are complaining about seem like things he could lead up a movement to change.

i figure there's maybe a bit of creative editing, and it's unclear why the ad hoc coop didn't present their case as a whole. having present local long time farmer support would, i expect, have helped what definitely seemed a bit the council rejecting poo poo out of spite for clarkson clarksoning in and using his fortunes to build without meaningful financial concerns

however i live near san francisco and can definitely sympathize with people running into idiotic busybody local government planning people who seem hell bent on opposing anything in a nearsighted attempt to preserve wherever they live in amber, exactly as it was right after they moved in

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Clarkson is a ultimate conservative: one minute mad about the government making it illegal/cost prohibitive to shoot yourself in the foot, then doing it anyway and complaining the government didnt do enough to prevent him from shooting himself in the foot and isnt helping him recover.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I want to hear his neighbor's opinions about Brexit ca. 2019.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

frogbs posted:

Also, Ive realized I dont understand Clarkson at all. If you watch this show he seems like someone who legitimately cares about the world, animals, some parts of the environment. But then you read some of the other poo poo he writes and it just doesnt square up at all. Does he just like stirring poo poo up?

I've not watched the second season, but one thing that stuck out to me in the first is when he built that pond/wetland. He kept claiming he wanted to do it because of the environment and rewild it. But then after he finished loving around in a tractor/digger loving the soil up he was left with a dirt pit filled with water that he filled with trout. He then fenced it off because shock horror an otter thought it was a nice convenient food store. At not point did he appear to do any planting or wilding, or try to establish anything other than trout in a barren muddy pond. His actions were the complete opposite to what he was saying he was doing and I have no idea if that is intentional or if he was being completely obtuse and actually believed what he was saying.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I didn't see the council make the point that I would have done, which is that the farm shop repeatedly broke the terms set out in the planning permission. For example the T-shirts from Vietnam. I'd have no confidence that the restaurant would have stuck to the planning permission either.

Councils acting terribly is a British pastime, which is why they need to be glad-handed (and bribed). Clarkson only seemed to deal with the locals when he wanted something out of them. I don't have much sympathy with him, though I'm sure other more worthy farmers have had similar experiences.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Well then:
https://deadline.com/2023/02/clarksons-farm-viewing-record-amazon-meghan-markle-scandal-1235268525/

quote:

Clarksons Farm has become Amazon Prime Videos most-watched original show in the UK since the countrys ratings body started collecting data for major streaming services.

The Season 2 premiere of Jeremy Clarksons farming show was watched by nearly 4.3M viewers on TV sets, according to Barb, the official audience research group.

This was comfortably Amazons highest-rated show since Barb began reporting viewing figures for streamers in November 2021, per a Deadline analysis. It beat The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, which launched last September with 3.2M viewers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesus lol. Take that Bezos and your billion dollar vanity show

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I mean, I have always greatly enjoyed Top Gear, but something about Clarksons Farm is justnice and enjoyable. Maybe its that hes toned down, or shows humility, or the rest of the gang like Kaleb, but the show feels, comforting? I think

Also saw a recent article that they had to close down the restaurant as the council wanted them to perform various upgrades in a six week time span, which they werent able / willing to do

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It is really nice. There's stakes to be sure, but you know due to the nature of the show that it isn't going to end on a total downer like "the cows all get TB" or "he can't open the restaurant and goes out of business" or whatever. It's going to be uplifting and inspiring to some degree, even if you take issue with his perspective as one might, in a thorny multilateral landscape of opinions and interests.

I'm kind of surprised Wilman isn't involved. Clarkson himself seems to have a really good sense of how to spin drama out of humdrum everyday life (or at least can find directors with that talent).

If you don't get misty at the end credits with "Ramble On" playing, geez

e: or at Kaleb's first helicopter flight

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 24, 2023

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Data Graham posted:

It is really nice. There's stakes to be sure, but you know due to the nature of the show that it isn't going to end on a total downer like "the cows all get TB" or "he can't open the restaurant and goes out of business" or whatever. It's going to be uplifting and inspiring to some degree, even if you take issue with his perspective as one might, in a thorny multilateral landscape of opinions and interests.

I'm kind of surprised Wilman isn't involved. Clarkson himself seems to have a really good sense of how to spin drama out of humdrum everyday life (or at least can find directors with that talent).

If you don't get misty at the end credits with "Ramble On" playing, geez

e: or at Kaleb's first helicopter flight

From the credits on IMDB at least, Andy Wilman is an executive producer: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0932799/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr4

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Kaleb and that chief consultant whose name I forgot are like James Mays that Clarkson doesn't constantly belittle and ignore for advice, but actually pays attention and does what they say.

And yes, I generally liked the pieces and specials where May and Clarkson were doing some stuff together and Hammond was missing, but unfortunately those seemed to veer towards boring to the general audiences, since they stopped doing that configuration after Top Gear.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Kaleb and that chief consultant whose name I forgot are like James Mays that Clarkson doesn't constantly belittle and ignore for advice, but actually pays attention and does what they say.

And yes, I generally liked the pieces and specials where May and Clarkson were doing some stuff together and Hammond was missing, but unfortunately those seemed to veer towards boring to the general audiences, since they stopped doing that configuration after Top Gear.

May and Hammond work together surprisingly well without Clarkson. At least when they're drinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW7ZewVbtyU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsUezTA5MF0

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-65056723

quote:

The BBC says it has halted the latest series of Top Gear after presenter Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff was hurt in an accident while filming.
The presenter was injured in December at Top Gear's test track at Dunsfold Park Aerodrome in Surrey.
The BBC said: "Under the circumstances, we feel it would be inappropriate to resume making series 34."
The broadcaster said a decision on how best to continue would be made later this year.
Following the accident on 13 December, the former England cricketer received medical care at the scene before being taken to hospital for further treatment.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Freddie > Hamster apparently

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It is a wonder none of these guys has managed to kill themselves yet, elf n safety ruining everything innit

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What exactly happened with this crash that has caused the BBC to apologize to the guy for it happening? It sounds like they made him do something really dangerous.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

What exactly happened with this crash that has caused the BBC to apologize to the guy for it happening? It sounds like they made him do something really dangerous.

According to the Independent, he flipped a Morgan Super 3 during a drag race and slid along the ground at high speed.

I'm guessing he wasn't wearing a helmet, Hammond wasn't when driving the Morgan 3 wheeler.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

According to the Independent, he flipped a Morgan Super 3 during a drag race and slid along the ground at high speed.

I'm guessing he wasn't wearing a helmet, Hammond wasn't when driving the Morgan 3 wheeler.

Reportedly he was wearing a helmet, but still had extensive facial injuries and broke several ribs.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

That thing, the Morgan 3-wheeler is a deathtrap; 3 narrow wheels with a car engine and a hull that basically is a coffin. Why on earth would they allow one of the presenters to do that without a helmet?

Especially considering what has happened to Hammond in the previous TG/GT history, that is just beyond words.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Deteriorata posted:

Reportedly he was wearing a helmet, but still had extensive facial injuries and broke several ribs.

Top gear always used open helmets to make it possible to see the presenter face, something that is pretty stupid on an Ariel Atom or a 3-wheeler, where there is little to protect the driver.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This is motorcycle crash data, but really shows how the face needs to be protected.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't imagine he would pass the broomstick test in a Morgan.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hope he gets well soon. Any three wheel car is not worth the risk, even those dumb Polaris ones that tourists love.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gu5kIuR8uA

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
More Oh Cook coming
https://twitter.com/mrjamesmay/status/1657705168723652608

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

That's excellent!

I though May was considering retiring from series hosting gigs after the "Our Man in" S3 was out and his Amazon contract is done with. And that he wasn't attached to anything else besides Our man and the last Grand Tours at the moment.

Hopefully he has changed his mind, if he had a show where he read through a London Metropolitan area phone book I'd probably watch it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Good news!

I actually thought Oh Cook! was one of the better James solo projects, and I've enjoyed most of them but Oz & James is one of my wife and my favorite shows ever so we've seen it many times and it's fun to do a rewatch every couple of years, although it is starting to feel a bit Standard Definition since it's from like 2006 and TVs keep getting bigger and better but the source remains 480p. We actually got to chat with him for a few minutes at the taping of the 1st episode of Grand Tour, and he said he also really enjoyed those trips with Oz, so I would love to see that team get resurrected. Gordon, Geno & Fred on ITV did a fairly good job of replicating that show's feel but it sounds like Geno has quit the show now over money disputes, so.

My wife and I have made about half the things James did in series 1 of Oh Cook (minus the joke recipes), and that fish pie recipe in Ep 2 is actually a huge success for how simple it is, it weighs up favorably to the best fish pie on earth (Inn at Whitewell)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Oh dear god, this was brilliant

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh dear god, this was brilliant

The rover shuttle launch is one of my favorite top gear moments when james and richard were laughing uncontrollably while the rocket scientists were doing final prep and obviously annoyed at the ridiculousness of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looks like June 16th for the next Grand Tour special. Central Europe this time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12085033/The-Grand-Tour-LOOK-Return-date-confirmed.html