Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like how Bastion is tankier than some tanks in non-role queue modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just watching random streams this morning, and it seems like every game (be it comp or QP) has a spread of MMR equal to an entire bell curve in it. Saw a torb main in GM2 get a game where his diamond tank was arguing with a plat widow all game, and now i'm watching emongg and seagull spawn camp players in QP that are all chatting classic messages like "Wtf is up with the matchmaker, i'm in gold".

I'd say they really hosed this game up, but I don't think anything has changed from the last 2 seasons, honestly, I just think it's more transparent now.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The mmr reset at the start of the season must really gently caress matchmaking.

The diamonds end up in plat, plats end up in gold, etc but there has to be a traffic jam at the bottom end cuz bronze got nowhere to go. So there has to be some very weird skill mixtures going on somewhere in the system to account for it :shrug:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The mmr reset at the start of the season must really gently caress matchmaking.

The diamonds end up in plat, plats end up in gold, etc but there has to be a traffic jam at the bottom end cuz bronze got nowhere to go. So there has to be some very weird skill mixtures going on somewhere in the system to account for it :shrug:

The "reset" at the start of the season is a reset to the meaningless SR that has no bearing on MMR other than giving you your division metal and number. Your actual MMR stays the same at all times, or so it is said. This is just the system not working on the most fundamental of levels.

It might at least partially be the case that Blizzard is just so short-staffed right now with people quitting left and right that no one can give it an in-depth troubleshooting pass. But more likely, they have their head up their asses. They still haven't really coherently explained why there is SR and MMR. You always see remarks in these blog posts that one or another dev makes about them wanting people to feel rewarded by the climb every season, but it's really the opposite; people feel punished when they lose rank. Also, they aren't even losing rank because if the matchmaker were working properly, they would be placed in games with similarly skilled players anyways, just all similarly skilled players who lost SSR due to the "reset". No matter how many times the playerbase complains about stuff like this, they insist on not rolling back changes that are counterintuitive and nonsensical.

I feel like there has always been a problem with the dev team that has been exacerbated as of late, where they just have this looming air of stubbornness about them. A million people can tell them something about the game is broken or a bad fit in a painfully obvious manner, and they will try to think outside the box and instead of fixing the problem, find a work around. This usually creates more problems. It's like, if you said "Hey, that building at the corner of maple and 4th is on fire, please put the fire out" to the Blizzard Fire Department, instead of dispatching a team of firefighters to extinguish the fire ASAP, will first say that they are going to take care of the problem next week, then 2 weeks later dispatch a construction crew to build a wall around the fire. Then you'll get a blog post about how they "feel like they want to respect the fire's right to exist, but have tweaked some environmental affects that will allow it to do so in a way that is better suited for the overall landscape of the area", and that they will "continue to monitor the fire".

We've had numerous problems with matchmaking that they keep trying to address by building walls instead of fixing poo poo. We have a character that has run rampant since the game's relaunch with an ability that one-shots people across the map (despite the character that was released 6 years ago that does similar things, that has always been problematic throughout the history of OW that they STILL haven't reworked or removed from the game) that they refuse to nerf, and instead accidentally buffed by giving the character synergy with a support's boost ability. Now, they tried to nerf or "readjust" that other character by striking hard at the thing that makes the character fun to play (movement), and buffing the character in the thing that makes the game frustrating to play (more healing to low health tanks). The list just goes on and on. Later this season, we will see a patient who needs a lung transplant, but was instead given an extra arm, and the ability to fly by the doctors over at big Blizzard medical complex across from the walled-off burning building on Maple and 4th.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

The mercy change really is frustrating to play against and while mercy feels strong, she's way less fun. Just an all around gently caress up. Damage boost is really elegant in its design for the mercy player but if we're honest damage thresholds are too big of a deal and the dps class balance is in constant tension with her, with examples of heroes being made underpowered without her so as to not be broken with her. She needs a rework.

Hashy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 19, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hashy posted:

The mercy change really is frustrating to play against and while mercy feels strong, she's way less fun. Just an all around gently caress up. Damage boost is really elegant in its design for the mercy player but if we're honest damage thresholds are too big of a deal and the dps class balance is in constant tension with her, with examples of heroes being made underpowered without her so as to be be broken with her. She needs a rework.

I'm basically a mercy main right now and I really enjoy her changes. What specifically do you think made her less fun?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'm basically a mercy main right now and I really enjoy her changes. What specifically do you think made her less fun?

You don't think reducing a character's advanced movement capabilities by like 40% makes the character less fun?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i think shes way more fun. Less fun in the "bullshit buzzing about sense" but now she's important

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

BabyRyoga posted:

It might at least partially be the case that Blizzard is just so short-staffed right now with people quitting left and right that no one can give it an in-depth troubleshooting pass. But more likely, they have their head up their asses.
The guy in charge of the studio might have said some things to the QA staff.

Mike Ybarra, President of Blizzard posted:

Employee concerns around financial difficulties were especially strong in the quality assurance and customer service departments, to which Ybarra reportedly replied "some of our disciplines are not long-term disciplines".

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

You don't think reducing a character's advanced movement capabilities by like 40% makes the character less fun?

Sure, but the healing changes more than make up for it imo.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Father Wendigo posted:

The guy in charge of the studio might have said some things to the QA staff.

I swear they're trying to tank the company on purpose

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

My matches have been way better and more fun this season, and faster queues increase fun as well. Playing with a wider range is more fun and transfers more skills. When you are stuck in a narrow rank, you learn just how to play in that rank. So some people are better than others. I have been liking this iteration and meta.

OK its mostly because i can queue in 30 seconds, mash reinhardt, and land a high level ana to shoot my butt.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Sure, but the healing changes more than make up for it imo.

By making a Mercy an even more important target to kill thus increasing her fun. (?)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im 14-0 in comp this season with mercy and winning games is fun but part of me also hates it because you can just slam pick her with any map and almost any composition so it feels kinda samey

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

By making a Mercy an even more important target to kill thus increasing her fun. (?)

....what? Making a character important makes her less fun? You're a trip, man.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

The change was designed to give her less pocketing potential around the likes of pharah - she doesn't self heal like she did if you aren't shooting her heal target, she can't escape and move deep with most of her pocket candidates nearly as much. In practice however having someone ramp up to 100hps under 50% hp with no effort or response by her while she corner peeks every 5 seconds to maintain beam is beyond demoralizing. The game becomes 'dive mercy' more than targeting dynamically between her and whoever she's pocketing and being able to apply pressure even if she isn't in view. Healing under 50% is the most important part of the life bar as far as breakpoints go

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
it does suck rear end but as someone who if i see mercy regardless of who i am my plan pretty much insta changes to "dive mercy"

i hate that classic landing a sick smooth kill then thinking you can move on but mercy slinks in and rezzes someone so i just make sure that doesnt get to happen

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Don't forget that if you're consistently at the same rank you're actually getting better at the game. It's just you're getting better at the same pace as everyone else. Look up diamond and above gameplay from release of the game and you'll be amazed at how slow and dumb everyone played. Everyone's learning, it's just a matter of how fast you're learning compared to everyone else. That said, the OW2 matchmaker is a joke these days. I'm out DPS'ing the DPS as support pretty consistently and play like poo poo as a DPS hero often.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Looking forward to seeing what kind of lies about the matchmaker they're going to concoct for the blog post promised for this month.
Maybe they'll go with blaming the players again. That would be spicy.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
God I wish you'd shut the gently caress up

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

verbal enema posted:

God I wish you'd shut the gently caress up

You can easily make your wish come true.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It was fine last season and then this season when people saw big actual changes (and we mean actual golds being shoved into masters games, not "i'm at the wrong rank") they admitted it immediately. Not sure what you want here.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I get being snarky and feeling jaded after a while and things like that, but after a point it really does get a bit tiresome. We get it, people make mistakes and companies have to balance being open and communicative with trying to make sure people don’t hate them for making decisions etc. Do you enjoy the game at all anymore? I really enjoy it still. Perhaps take some time to reflect on things you’ve enjoyed recently or just have a discussion about the mega or tactics that isn’t just ‘lol lmao roflamomayobbq, Blizzard, rofl’. You might find people to be more engaging.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That amount of hate-posting can't be healthy lol. Just, unbookmark the thread for a bit my goon. Get some fresh air.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ew im sixth on that list

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
step it up and you can make top 5, i believe

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

jack trades' catty tirades

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
"hey rein when their rein is alone in our backfield don't go charging into theirs"
*rein charges into theirs, dies*
"hey rein when their rein is alone in our backfield don't go charging into theirs. maybe turn around or at least shield their healers from being able to heal him"
"hey rein it's a free kill if we all converge on this dude who is all alone in our backfield"
"rein why didn't you turn around once, even once"
'WAH WAH WAH YOU HAVE MOBILITY USE IT'

I don't like some of the folks who play this game

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you should go balls out with a super aggro rein and follow him or try to safely pick their isolated rein ASAP

trying to coach or backseat your teammates is a very bad idea!

playing around your teammates terrible ideas of how to play the game is part of the fun of a ladder experience and makes it more varied!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Gonna take a break until this matchmaking issue is fixed. Every other game is either boring or frustrating.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do you deal with a Bastion as a DPS? I can't figure out anything that works well.

Junkrat seems to work fine but only if you can attack him from behind cover, which isn't always an option.
Mei should theoretically be able to wall his transformations in but...it doesn't really work.
You could maybe snipe him with Widow or Hanzo from outside the range where he can threaten you, but he doesn't have a crit box and he has ehp of a Tank.

I'm really not sure how to counter him when I'm in the DPS role.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Reaper and Tracer are very hard to deal with as Bastion. Pharah and Echo can also be tough unless his aim is very good

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Reaper and Tracer are very hard to deal with as Bastion. Pharah and Echo can also be tough unless his aim is very good

Wouldn't Reaper just melt instantly? He'd need 4 perfect accuracy shots (armor reduction not counting so maybe even 5) to kill Bastion which feels like more than enough time to just die or be forced to Fade away. Or am I missing something?
You're right about Tracer though, if I'm doing my math right, she could kill a Turret Bastion in one magazine. Didn't realize she had so much dps.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If I have rockets up I can almost always kill bastion before he can kill me as soldier unless it's point blank.

Also i find he's relatively easy to drop behind as reaper and kill. Just engage when he's used up some of his assault timer so if you get into trouble you can just wraith until he is forced to transform.

Meis icicles do loads of damage at long range, bastion in assault mode is so slow he's easy to hit.

Widow and Ashe because of range too.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

echo is probably the most disproportionately strong against bastion. she has everything going for her, small hitbox, no falloff, great damage against large hitboxes, the ability to flank and delete him and a quick out if he turns around and turret forms on her

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

tbh I really think it's tank and support's job to neutralise Bastion, and the DPS to capitalise on it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

tbh I really think it's tank and support's job to neutralise Bastion, and the DPS to capitalise on it.

You are completely correct, but trying to make other people do anything constructive in solo queue is a fool's errand.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i dunno about support. if im feeling like nobody is dealing with bastion i feel like my only option is ana. dps i mostly just pick genji and flank him and deflect the second he notices me and turns around. hanzo works pretty well too. tank has a few good options but i dont think its any easier than for a dps to deal with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Zen is surprisingly good at killing bastion. He can output 280 damage in a single barrage with minimal exposure and no falloff.