Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I can't believe that zombies still have the cultural cache that they did 10-15 years ago

They are just spent on me unless there is some novel twist(?). But just hurrr Durr zombie survival bunker is a really overwrought trope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they don’t really? When was the last new zombie related material released?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean they don’t really? When was the last new zombie related material released?

Last of Us is essentially a zombie apocalypse. Please ignore the turbo nerds exclaiming that they're actually not zombies.
What's nice about the show, though, is that you get entire episodes without the infected showing up.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

the type of people who are still into zombies are also the type of people who think the cybertruck is cool so I guess there is some sense to it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

its all nice on rice posted:

Last of Us is essentially a zombie apocalypse. Please ignore the turbo nerds exclaiming that they're actually not zombies.
What's nice about the show, though, is that you get entire episodes without the infected showing up.

I’m going to blow your mind but the last of us released in 2013

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

would be crazy if they ever made that into a tv show

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Zombies mysteriously went out of fashion once Obama left and people didn't need a nebulous other to fantasize about destroying/becoming Leader of the Wastes racism was over.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The TV show, however, is new.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Army of the Dead was pretty good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m aware of the tv show but can you guess what it’s adapting. Will blow your mind

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jestery posted:

I can't believe that zombies still have the cultural cache that they did 10-15 years ago

They are just spent on me unless there is some novel twist(?). But just hurrr Durr zombie survival bunker is a really overwrought trope

bunker chat is still popular among the ultra rich for some reason.

please ignore that their bunkers suck and have major flaws.

Also yeah the last of us is a recent thing and its interesting to see non gamers (re)discover a thing.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lemme just check....

Oh
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status...ingawful.com%2F

Snark aside, 15 years Olds are still designing their zombie bunker and talking about it,

The walking Dead litteraly finished up last year

Zombieland and it's sequel came out in 2009 and 2019 respectively (telling that a sequel was about as profitable, and had higher gross profit)

Plants vs Zombies has been putting out sequels ever other year

Resident evil is still pumping out movies

Train to busan was pretty rad

Zombies , as a part of the cultural canon are still alive and well

Endless games available on the app store and steam

As I said, I think there is still narrative meat on the bones there ,as a way to provide tension they work, the concept is not worn out, but the bulk of the media just seems to be zombies as a way to excuse indiscriminate, pathologic destruction of humanoid forms.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Last of Us The Show is better than the game by virtue of having great actors and no boring gameplay

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m aware of the tv show but can you guess what it’s adapting. Will blow your mind

who cares when the IP started, the point being made was that zombie stuff is still popular and TLOU is apparently HBOs second biggest release in the last decade (after the GOT spinoff)

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

alf_pogs posted:

The Last of Us The Show is better than the game by virtue of having great actors and no boring gameplay

I can't play the game because the main character aims his gun like a 4 year old playing with rocketships.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I feel as though pop culture wore out the 'zombie apocalypse' trope, in a similar way to how the internet's obsession over Bohemian Rhapsody burned hot for a while a few years back and mostly burned itself out (thank god).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

War Wizard posted:

I can't play the game because the main character aims his gun like a 4 year old playing with rocketships.

Tactilol

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if you play through 3/4 of the game and pump your old man with drugs and vitamins he'll become a normal start of the game protag.

though he'll still break all his shivs. guns and bullets still exist, but knife making is a lost art.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I really want to agree with that, and I will absolutely concede there was a spike of zombie media 2010-15.

But I really don't think it is "worn out" it's just been absorbed into the cultural miasma

Like just google for a list of "zombie media in the last decade" and look at the dates made it's still being made in a was that say, historical action (Alexander, Gladiator, 300, Troy) isn't. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in expendables 7 the plot point is a zombie virus or some poo poo. Like its just been absorbed and barely registers. It's ultimately a very cheap way to enhance a story

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

alf_pogs posted:

TLOU is the final nail in the coffin to any opposition to the theory that Naughty Dog makes better movies than video games.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
God's, don't let Neil Druckmann's ego get any bigger

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
if it were return of the living dead zombies elon would die when they goad him into coming outside via tweet

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
TLOU is good because it stars the Mandalorian, the angry little girl lord from GoT, and Ron Swanson

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Neito posted:

TLOU is the final nail in the coffin to any opposition to the theory that Naughty Dog makes better movies than video games.
So did you like Uncharted or

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
didnt Uncharted also get a live action adaption?

going from the fact almost no one remembers it, it must have been very meh and mediocre.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

PhazonLink posted:

didnt Uncharted also get a live action adaption?

going from the fact almost no one remembers it, it must have been very meh and mediocre.

It came out exactly a year ago. Completely forgettable

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Dying Light 2 was released a year ago, and Dead Island 2 has somehow shuffled out of development hell and will release this year.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You think this is bad, next week he'll discover pirates vs ninjas.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I have never played a zombie game or watched a zombie media and honestly think it's lazy poo poo tier content.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Aware posted:

I have never played a zombie game or watched a zombie media and honestly think it's lazy poo poo tier content.

k

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Propaganda Hour posted:

It came out exactly a year ago. Completely forgettable

The entirety of Uncharted's ad campaign was centered around Mark Wahlberg getting a dog.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

ColdPie posted:

"Haha this guy is so funny"
* Links to ask a ninja*

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
elom: this ket ken hev a cheezeburger?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
When do we get full AI subservient chicken

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

lmao I’m in ur base, killin’ ur d00ds

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

ColdPie posted:

which of the doge avatar accounts is going to post it first?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I remember being heavily into zombies from a) watching Return of the Living Dead, and b) reading some online Dungeons and Dragons style game called AllFlesh, it looked pretty cool. Then the Dawn of the Dead remake came out, followed by Shaun of the Dead and the World War Z book and I was hooked. I think I stopped caring about zombie media after the second season of Walking Dead.

It's cool if your still into zombie stuff though, Zombie Land was pretty good but World War Z and 28 Weeks Later were very bad. I never watched that other zombie TV show (not TWD spin off, the other one) but I heard it's trash (the good kind) and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ColdPie posted:

He's gonna start posting unattributed quotes from Real Ultimate Power and Tucker Max

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
waiting for the dickbutt phase personally

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Froghammer posted:

So did you like Uncharted or

Never saw it, but it really bugged me that Holland and Wahlberg looked about ten years too young for their respective parts.

Anyways, here's some Elon content:
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1627001090221944832?t=FZK-uu03-KHHMtqRnwQj9A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why do teslas love driving into emergency vehicles so god drat much?

https://twitter.com/ContraCostaFire/status/1626997159257145345?s=20