Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Wizards are actually too fast. When they stack haste and invis you have no chance to kill them. Your best bet is to try throwing knives or Francesca’s when they’re running away. When I played dagger wizard, rangers were 100% free kills. They always draw their bow and hold their shot which makes them essentially immobile, you hit your ignite, haste, invis stack and get in their face and they die to two stabs. Even if they hit you with one shot, you’ll be fine.

I played rangers for the first couple of play tests and they were OP. This playtest I didn’t really feel that was the case. They keep dropping the velocity and trajectory of all bows.

When I played fighter or barb, I punched out countless numbers of rangers. You just have to have your mobility buff running. If not just throw Francesca’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
If the next playtest doesn't include at least 2 new classes i'll be incredibly surprised. They've been talking about them for awhile. Some are definitely gonna be reserved for release (I wouldn't even be surprised if some of them become purchasable) though.

I'm just mentioning that because it's hard to talk about balancing classes with some major new additions coming. I think this game is a bit of rock, paper, scissors, as are a lot of games these days, so talking about balancing some classes needs to be done, but it's also hard to see where those classes fit in a lineup of 10+ classes.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

GlyphGryph posted:

See, I guess I'm not sure how reliably a ranger is going to be kiting a skilled fighter who can shoot back.

I agree that a wizard would still gently caress them over, that's why I was just considering the ranger matchup.

I didn't get enough high level play to have any idea how that holds up in practice though, and I'm guessing by the next time we can play its gonna be rebalanced anyway.
Ranger moves like 30-40% faster than a fully armored fighter, that plus traps is enough to keep them at bay and if they try to charge a triple shot to the head will wipe them.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
That's why fighters have Francescas and bows though.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7drbPWv0jg

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

ShowTime posted:

If the next playtest doesn't include at least 2 new classes i'll be incredibly surprised. They've been talking about them for awhile. Some are definitely gonna be reserved for release (I wouldn't even be surprised if some of them become purchasable) though.

I'm just mentioning that because it's hard to talk about balancing classes with some major new additions coming. I think this game is a bit of rock, paper, scissors, as are a lot of games these days, so talking about balancing some classes needs to be done, but it's also hard to see where those classes fit in a lineup of 10+ classes.

They have hinted pretty heavily that they are going to be focusing on "Floor 1/B1" and Bard is the next class, but I'm not sure if those will both be in the next playtest, or just one or the other, or maybe neither and they or just one of them will show up in EA. We think a playtest will show up around Easter, then EA in May.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DyneAvenger posted:

Do the people saying that the portal system is fine as is just never play with friends? Like only solo or maybe with random people?

Cause it's definitely not fun to have a successful run end with essentially a rock-paper-scissors to see who gets to extract when you only find one or two portals left. I'd say roughly half of the matches where all three people in my group made it to the portal phase ended with at least one person having to get left behind, dumping their inventory on the ground for the others to take. And it was a bummer each time.
so go to hell, play carefully around the centaurs and such and extract there

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Yeah, red portals/hell are really not that bad on normal mode. The only thing that can really end you are the centaurs and maybe gargoyles if you're really bad. If you have someone with a shield just have them body block and look up and like nothing can hit them anyway. With that said often you need to use portals in the boss room to escape, so I hope you have at least a rogue or ranger to help open them lol.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i never even peeked into red portals even if i felt like a run was a lost cause and now i feel foolish cuz getting killed/ my team killed by centaurs and gargoyles sounds badass

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

IronicDongz posted:

so go to hell, play carefully around the centaurs and such and extract there

The most fun part of multiplayer games is when 2 members of your team aren't playing but instead just watching the other person meticulously and carefully play solo for 20 minutes. :rolleyes:

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
If going to hell, honor demands all 3 players brave it together.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fancy_Lad posted:

The most fun part of multiplayer games is when 2 members of your team aren't playing but instead just watching the other person meticulously and carefully play solo for 20 minutes. :rolleyes:
when did I say it would just be one person?

if you find 3 blues, you escape. if you don't, you take a triple red all down to hell together.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I didn't play really at all this test, did 3-person portals get removed entirely or do they still spawn at the end of the match? For the later maps, not the single player one obviously.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ShowTime posted:

I didn't play really at all this test, did 3-person portals get removed entirely or do they still spawn at the end of the match? For the later maps, not the single player one obviously.

i swear i seen a few popups saying a 3 person portal has spawned but i havent used them as that is wuss poo poo

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
3-person blue portals got removed, only reds spawn as 3.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I tried this game numerous times with a friend and never succeeded in escaping or getting any loot. It's really frustrating and I'm not sure if I wanna try it more

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jarvisi posted:

I tried this game numerous times with a friend and never succeeded in escaping or getting any loot. It's really frustrating and I'm not sure if I wanna try it more

First playtest we played it took us a lot of tries to get an escape and I really hated the game for a day or two. This time we had a lot of escapes but I personally found it frustrating because all the times I got sick loot were the times we didn't make it out. My 8 kill game I don't think I even made 100 gold. It's one thing to be so poor you can't upgrade your gear before a run but it's another level of frustration when you can't load up on consumables before a run.

ShowTime posted:

I think one should spawn as a last resort but as others said they don't spawn at all.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 19, 2023

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Speaking of changes for the next round of testing, VOIP on "proximity" really needs to be enabled by default.

Jarvisi posted:

What helped me with this was adjusting my mindset to be more Dark Souls "You Died" and less League of Legends "You Lose".

The goal is not getting loot, or even escaping. The goal is learning the map(s), learning the mob patterns, learning how your preferred class works with all of their weapons, learning how all of the other classes work with all of their weapons, typical pvp dynamics, and leveling yourself up to unlock more traits/talents/whatever. Its an iterative process that should be improving your personal skill and knowledge as a player with each "loss".

Once you have achieved a basic level of competence, you can start worrying about "winning" rounds by escaping with some loot after killing some dudes. It will be much less frustrating that way.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Don't care if I extract, I'm just in it so other people don't extract

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I still think it's so funny how the trade chat is basically just a constant stream of IRC messages full of garbage like this

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I really wish the game started all classes with a stack of lovely bandages or something.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean extracting with sweet loot is a mixed blessing because you're going to lose it on your next run. I'm sure an extreme minority of players can slowly put together a collection of good gear but for most players it just flows like water.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

IronicDongz posted:

I still think it's so funny how the trade chat is basically just a constant stream of IRC messages full of garbage like this

That's worth 40g lol total scam

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mendrian posted:

I mean extracting with sweet loot is a mixed blessing because you're going to lose it on your next run. I'm sure an extreme minority of players can slowly put together a collection of good gear but for most players it just flows like water.

It is pretty funny rocking greys and looting some team you just wiped and they got blues and purps.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

ChaseSP posted:

I really wish the game started all classes with a stack of lovely bandages or something.
That's an easy way to differentiate the classes though. Wizard starts every round with a free shield pot, Ranger gets a trap and campfire, Rogue has throwing knives, etc.

I do think there needs to be a universal "rest" skill available to all classes (if they're willing to give up a skill slot for it) that slowly regens HP over time, similar to campfires, and just buff the speed or effect of campfires to compensate for being a consumable.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
My smol balance suggestions. I think a lot of bigger scale tweaks are going to be needed once the game leaves time-limited playtests and we get a sense of what actual, lategame meta looks like:

Fighters: almost in the sweet spot. Very minor changes, maybe some buffs to the other abilities to make foregoing sprint + second wind more attractive.

Barbarians: despite being rated OP as gently caress this playtest, I actually think most of their issues are issues with other classes buff spells. Felling ax needs a small swing speed nerf and a few of the other two handed weapons slight buffs to equalize. Everything else feels reasonably close to OK. Maybe a small hit to max hp. Have to be careful, barbs are so slow any hits to damage or tankiness may put then straight to the dumpster.

Rogues: slightly undertuned IMO. Rogues don't bring a whole lot to a team comp or to help with clearing inferno PvE and the bosses. I think certain rogue perks (invisible belt slots and limited movement while cloaked) should be cooked into baseline to give them more room for something with team utility.. I think making throwing knives start with higher stack amounts (5 maybe?) would be a good start. That being said, Rogues are a solid solo class and definitely don't feel completely underpowered or anything. If anyone else gets access to a trap, it should be rogue. Maybe a poison gas trap you can place into already opened chests or something?

Rangers: Still OP. Best class at PvE with no real weaknesses in PvP as tradeoff. I don't know how to address the PvE side without serious overhaul of enemy AI and attacks so balance will have to be on PvP in short term. Giving rangers access to spears (one of the best melee weapons in the game) is crazy. It's not like they were lacking with access to the arming sword too! Triple shot needs a damage nerf, and maybe a reduction in movement/interaction speed. The ranger is too good at many things without any major weaknesses. If you don't have at least one ranger in your trios comp you're missing out right now. Having a free campfire is an additional 24 gold on every single run and offers massive team utility. Then they get a trap on top of it!

Cleric: also pretty balanced. Incredible for PvE inferno and boss runs, to the point that I don't really know how you would do bosses without one. All the cleric really needs IMO is better / more exciting melee weapons. Not enough difference between the mace and the morning star. The quarterstaff was def a nice inclusion. Maybe some tweaks to make the magic staff a more attractive casting tool compared to alternative? Or a way to cast with a 1 handed weapon out, like wizard with orb and dagger?

Wizard: slightly op, but not as bad as previous playtest. Like I said in the barb section, the issue is more with haste and invisible on other classes. Maybe the buff duration should be nerfed when not cast on yourself? Other than that, things feel OK, though spell balance tweaks are def incoming. I basically never saw anyone using light, ice bolt, or a few others.

General: high level gear balance feels really wonky. The game favors damage over armor for sure. I would play as a fighter with all blue and purple gear and still yet headshot one tapped by barbs or triple tapped by rangers. For PvE bosses, armor is a hindrance. You started to see lots of naked wizards and barbs in high roller, and I think this is why. You shouldn't need to strip down to your skivvies to do the lich or the ghost. Both of those bosses have moves that are either isnta 1 shots or do damage based on % of your health so defensive gear feels pointless. Ranged damage is king in PvE to the point where I honestly don't know how you would do the bosses without a wizard ranger, or bow wielding fighter.

That being said, I think steps were made in the right direction this playtest in terms of overall balance. Maximum stash size means even the sweatiest gods only have so much money or gear to use. Certain modifiers need to be looked at (+ flat damage and + all attributes are king, + armor and + buff duration are basically worthless). Wondering how much the implementation of the currently missing skill system may affect things.

Game good

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

IDK why you would play rogue to be anything but an opportunistic murderer/general trickster. Don't even go for kills or attack just be the most annoying person possible. Be the Patches of Dark and Farker

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
thats how i play rogue and when i'd team up with people thats pretty much what they expected of me and by god i did it

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

ChaseSP posted:

IDK why you would play rogue to be anything but an opportunistic murderer/general trickster. Don't even go for kills or attack just be the most annoying person possible. Be the Patches of Dark and Farker

I saw some YouTuber who played rogue with caltrops and smoke bomb and was just an annoying rear end in a top hat to everyone he came across and impossible for people to get a hold of.

Looked super fun. Game good.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If you think felling axe is OP, you’re out of your mind. I was personally wiping half of the lobbies with a horseman axe, no offhand hatchet cause it only slows you down. And also I was wearing a shirt, all the available shirts to barbs have too much defense for the amount of speed it slows you down. I’ve also seen rogues dunk on felling axe barbs, because the range is so short and miss is so punishing.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

rideANDxORdie posted:

[...]

General: high level gear balance feels really wonky. The game favors damage over armor for sure. I would play as a fighter with all blue and purple gear and still yet headshot one tapped by barbs or triple tapped by rangers. For PvE bosses, armor is a hindrance. You started to see lots of naked wizards and barbs in high roller, and I think this is why. You shouldn't need to strip down to your skivvies to do the lich or the ghost. Both of those bosses have moves that are either isnta 1 shots or do damage based on % of your health so defensive gear feels pointless. Ranged damage is king in PvE to the point where I honestly don't know how you would do the bosses without a wizard ranger, or bow wielding fighter.

That being said, I think steps were made in the right direction this playtest in terms of overall balance. Maximum stash size means even the sweatiest gods only have so much money or gear to use. Certain modifiers need to be looked at (+ flat damage and + all attributes are king, + armor and + buff duration are basically worthless). Wondering how much the implementation of the currently missing skill system may affect things.

Game good
Agree with all this, except to add that +movement speed is also one of the top attributes, especially for melee classes.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah I worry a bit about rare loot because only a small portion of the player base gets access to it, so it gets tested the least.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

:hmmyes:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

its true

i wonder if we'll ever get voice commands

i want to yell "THERE IS AN ENEMY HERE" while stabbing someone

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Was mainly a fighter this play test and really like them, I’ll do another next time but also looking forward to really trying a rogue and a ranger, both seem extremely apt for solo bullshittery. Didn’t have much time to level both up to really play around with the perks.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

verbal enema posted:

its true

i wonder if we'll ever get voice commands

i want to yell "THERE IS AN ENEMY HERE" while stabbing someone

Just yell "im friendly" over and over while stabbing someone with proximity chat

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Just yell "im friendly" over and over while stabbing someone with proximity chat

:begins spamming crouch:

:drinks blue potion, continues to crouch:

:stabs in crouching motion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Was mainly a fighter this play test and really like them, I’ll do another next time but also looking forward to really trying a rogue and a ranger, both seem extremely apt for solo bullshittery. Didn’t have much time to level both up to really play around with the perks.

Ranger is warcrimes.txt with traps under bodies and 3rd partying rando fights. A geared rogue can dunk on people, but nothing says "I disdain your existence" like 10 bear traps in a dark room covered in corpses.