Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i wouldn't hire any of you people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Killingyouguy! posted:

But I've always wanted to work at the dick sucking factory.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

FreudianSlippers posted:

The only relevent information is that I need money and have the skill and/or experience to carry out task X and possibly even task Y.

Anything beyond that is superfluous nonsense.

Libertarians who exist on a plane of pure reason make terrible employees for a variety of reasons.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Killingyouguy! posted:

I wouldn’t work for anyone that needed me to suck their gross gens

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Incelshok Na posted:

Libertarians who exist on a plane of pure reason make terrible employees for a variety of reasons.

What's that got to do with anything?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My cover letter is a coupon for a free Wendy's frosty

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Incelshok Na posted:

Become ungovernable.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Since I was a young boy I have dreamt of nothing but working as a compliance manager for AG Huel Gasket and Bladder International

I love corporation and brand please hire me

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Killingyouguy! posted:

But on the hiring side, a bad cover letter is so, so funny. So who can really say if it is good or bad

I, too, enjoy laughing at people who may have English as a second language, or are dyslexic, or one of the many other reasons their cover letter may be "funny."

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

I, too, enjoy laughing at people who may have English as a second language, or are dyslexic, or one of the many other reasons their cover letter may be "funny."

I got a poem once.

A surprising number of rants about how lovely their previous boss was, too.

The cover letter does tell you things about a candidate that the resume won't necessarily tell you. Both these cases tell me the culture fit is bad and not worth an interview.

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 16:36 on Feb 15, 2023

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Killingyouguy! posted:

I got a poem once.

Did you hire them?

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

What's that got to do with anything?

FreudianSlippers posted:

The only relevent information is that I need money and have the skill and/or experience to carry out task X and possibly even task Y.

Anything beyond that is superfluous nonsense.

The idea of "just doing the job" reduces humans to the level of automatons. It feeds anomie and is an expression of anti-life. You know, libertarianism.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah and like, you're working with other people. There's a world of difference between "I can complete task :)" and "gently caress you, I can complete task and that's all you're getting out of me >:(". I agree that employers shouldn't be able to decide whether someone can afford to eat. This is why we need UBI - because you should be able to eat even if I don't want you on my team lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Incelshok Na posted:

The idea of "just doing the job" reduces humans to the level of automatons. It feeds anomie and is an expression of anti-life. You know, libertarianism.

The system that makes "just doing the job" a prerequisite for living reduces humans to the level of automatons, don't take it out on people just trying to exist within the system. Having to beg employers to allow you to live is an intensely dehumanizing experience and you can hardly blame people for feeling dehumanized by it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
the implications of the censor bars on the butt symbols are terrifying

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

the implications of the censor bars on the butt symbols are terrifying

I added those

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Every single time I search for a product with a certain attribute, every search in existence returns only that product without the attribute. Every time.

For anyone who does backend development, specifically on search functions: First, go gently caress yourself all the way into moving traffic. Second, please stop making these things assume they know what I'm looking for better than I do. Third, if you survived the traffic encounter please gently caress off into an incinerator, you can find one at any funeral home

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Every single time I search for a product with a certain attribute, every search in existence returns only that product without the attribute. Every time.

For anyone who does backend development, specifically on search functions: First, go gently caress yourself all the way into moving traffic. Second, please stop making these things assume they know what I'm looking for better than I do. Third, if you survived the traffic encounter please gently caress off into an incinerator, you can find one at any funeral home

Yeah, it annoys the crap out of me any time a computer tries to second guess me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bargearse posted:

Yeah, it annoys the crap out of me any time a computer tries to second guess me.

I search for "service Timex M73 movement", because I bought a neat old wristwatch that needs some TLC.

DDG "helpfully" "corrects" my search to M79 service instructions, because surely that was what I meant to type, right? 3 is right there next to 9, it must have been a typo, right?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Incelshok Na posted:

I dunno, dude.

There's another political system of thought I'd associate alienation from the act of production with long before libertarianism.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

FreudianSlippers posted:

I dunno, dude.

There's another political system of thought I'd associate alienation from the act of production with long before libertarianism.

Sure. But the most charitable read of libertarianism is capitalism stripped of sentimentalism. The least charitable is capitalism regressing to feudalism. Either way, embracing libertarian thought is embracing capitalism.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My cheapo microwave doesn't have a program function. If I'm microwaving something that requires it to stand and then go back on, I have to return to the microwave for that step.

The microwave I grew up with, you could set all those steps ahead of time.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Killingyouguy! posted:

My cheapo microwave doesn't have a program function. If I'm microwaving something that requires it to stand and then go back on, I have to return to the microwave for that step.

The microwave I grew up with, you could set all those steps ahead of time.
This is interesting.

I’ve never seen this feature in a microwave in the US. In fact they all seem to have exactly the same firmware that lets you set the time and power level, with some preprogrammed buttons.

Also I’ve never seen microwave instructions where you stop heating and let it sit and then resume heating. I’ve seen stuff where you stop halfway and then stir and then resume. Or you let it sit for a few minutes at the very end to let the heat spread through the food.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

mlnhd posted:

I’ve never seen this feature in a microwave in the US. In fact they all seem to have exactly the same firmware that lets you set the time and power level, with some preprogrammed buttons.
The stop-and-rest-in-the-middle feature? You get that by programming time and power, then time at zero power, and finally time and power again. Unless I misunderstood. (I've never seen this type of middle pause in microwave cooking, either.)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah, why wouldn't you just cook at a lower power? Then it'll cycle heating on and off for you!

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Hirayuki posted:

The stop-and-rest-in-the-middle feature? You get that by programming time and power, then time at zero power, and finally time and power again. Unless I misunderstood. (I've never seen this type of middle pause in microwave cooking, either.)

I tried this and
1. The minimum duty cycle I can set is 10%
2. I can’t program multiple sequential programs; it just uses what the last entered one was

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah this is what I meant, some of my mom's old recipes require it, or different power levels for different lengths of time sequentially (which I guess tracks bc our old family microwave had this feature)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

When you complain about the way a company does business in a certain way and some chucklefuck comes back with a variation of "Well, that's just the cost of doing business. If they didn't do it, they'd lose money and there'd be no Megaconglomocorp!".

Tough poo poo. A corporation's bottom line is absolutely not my problem. Figure it out in a way that respects my privacy.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

speaking of microwaves, there's one in the mail room of my workplace that has a sign on it stating that it is only to be used to heating water for tea or coffee and nothing else. there is a kettle RIGHT loving next to it. if the kettle doesn't work then get a new one! there is a microwave in my immediate work area and a lunchroom upstairs that has one but it is the dumbest poo poo i have ever seen and i want to heat something with a ton of onions in it just to gently caress with whoever did that but :effort:

i guess my pet peeve is america and microwaves or something, i don't know

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

please stop making these things assume they know what I'm looking for better than I do.

Bargearse posted:

KozmoNaut posted:

because surely that was what I meant to type, right? 3 is right there next to 9, it must have been a typo, right?

I understand that you guys are complaining about a very real and annoying issue with search functions in general, but I'm still wondering if you are aware that google has a "verbatim" mode? It might help you out.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That's part of the problem, explicit search is hidden under some esoteric switch or search statement that 98.4% of the internet-going community isn't aware of.

Instead it's default fuzzy search for all!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've never heard of it the verbatim thing! :mad:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Lots of people pronounce it “verbatim”. Maybe that confused you?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

oldpainless posted:

Lots of people pronounce it “verbatim”. Maybe that confused you?

No, that's wrong. The emphasis is on the 4th syllable.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Verbatim?

I hardly know him!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wireless mouses, controllers, etc. Remote controls. Anything I can be holding to use, wander off with, and put down in the wrong room. Why is my TV remote in the kitchen? Why is my xbox controller in the bedroom? And where the gently caress is my phone?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Wireless mouses, controllers, etc. Remote controls. Anything I can be holding to use, wander off with, and put down in the wrong room. Why is my TV remote in the kitchen? Why is my xbox controller in the bedroom? And where the gently caress is my phone?

you blame the mouse instead of yourself for wandering off to another room while holding a mouse in your hand??

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

you blame the mouse instead of yourself for wandering off to another room while holding a mouse in your hand??

Wouldn't happen if it was attached by a cable. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Wouldn't happen if it was attached by a cable. :shrug:

I'm really intrigued by this thought process. If it was attached to a cable then i suppose you would get up with the mouse in your hand and then it would tug against the cable? Do you frequently forget what is in your hands? I can't relate to having this little body awareness. like living on autopilot. what's that like