Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Just finished my first playthrough of Prime and dang was it good!! even though I love the Metroid series the game never really clicked with me back when I first played it on the GC/Wii so I'm super happy I decided to give it another go.

Reading through the last few pages seems like I got the 'Prime' experience:

- fell to the bottom of the crashed ship without the gravity suit
- attempted to go through the back door in the mines only to run into the locked security gate with the energy tank behind it
- died in the mines 'gauntlet' at least once cause I didn't take the pirates seriously enough, also had the "where's the save point" shakes after the invisible drone
- had missed 8/12 artifacts by the end of the game, though it luckily didn't take that long to find them
- somehow missed scanning the ice shriek bats even though I had obsessively scanned every single thing up to that point and a friend had explicitly told me about them
- missed scanning Ridley cause I was too amped about clowning on him like I do in every Metroid

Will definitely grab any re-release/remaster of Prime 2 and 3. Whenever 4 comes out, that's a day one purchase for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It really is great that there hasn't been a bad Metroid game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ikanreed posted:

It really is great that there hasn't been a bad Metroid game.

There is but luckily it’s a side series game now

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
what about federation force

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

BoosterDuck posted:

what about federation force

Let's just call Donkey Kong Country a Mario game. You don't even play as Metroid in federation force.

Nintendo land for the Wii U is a Metroid game though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

isn't federation force completely fine??? what's wrong with it

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Getting towards the end now and one of my critiques is they don't really come up with anything interesting for the X-Ray Visor except "sometimes there are invisible platforms for no reason"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair I think that applies to the thermal visor as well.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Amppelix posted:

isn't federation force completely fine??? what's wrong with it

It came during a long Metroid drought, and if I remember right Nintendo hyped it up as a new Metroid game. People weren't exactly thrilled.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Tender Bender posted:

Getting towards the end now and one of my critiques is they don't really come up with anything interesting for the X-Ray Visor except "sometimes there are invisible platforms for no reason"

"Because it looks cool" is good enough for me. Seeing how activating each beam uses different hand configurations inside the gun was cool as hell the first time I noticed it. Small details are awesome.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

It came during a long Metroid drought, and if I remember right Nintendo hyped it up as a new Metroid game. People weren't exactly thrilled.
yes, i know this, but that doesn't mean you have to lump it into the "bad metroid games that never happened" pile with other M, especially since it seems like nobody has actually played it to find out. i sure haven't!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It'd be neat if the xray visto served similar to mp3, in letting you kill enemies faster if you made sure to make use of it to make traversing easier by that point in the game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tender Bender posted:

Chozo Ghosts

Those invisible birbs

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Amppelix posted:

yes, i know this, but that doesn't mean you have to lump it into the "bad metroid games that never happened" pile with other M, especially since it seems like nobody has actually played it to find out. i sure haven't!

It's a fun game, especially with a buddy or two. Just set expectations accordingly, you're a space marine guy in a mech. Controls like Samus in Prime: kinda clunky and slow, but it's fine. You have a (very) limited degree of customization in your loadout. Play it with a circle pad pro if possible.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Does anyone else think it's funny how "bad Metroid games" only apply to Other M and Fed Force, like everyone forgets Metroid Prime Pinball happened

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's a spin-off that's why. I don't judge Fed Force for that same reason.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Does anyone else think it's funny how "bad Metroid games" only apply to Other M and Fed Force, like everyone forgets Metroid Prime Pinball happened

That's because Metroid Prime Pinball was great

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

From what I’ve seen people seem to really like pinball

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Prime Pinball got a pass cause it was a spin-off that happened while we were still getting plenty of good Metroid games. Other M was the game that put the franchise into its second dark age, and Fed Force was a slap in the face for Metroid fans who thought Nintendo was just taking the piss with Metroid for its 30th anniversary, especially after AM2R got C&D'd.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Metroid Prime Pinball was a solid video pinball game.

I'd take it over the campaign in Hunters these days.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

That's because Metroid Prime Pinball was great

Yeah. Creative board design, great graphics for the DS, a whole campaign to give you something to shoot for other than high scores, and good sound.

It's not a main release, but it's quite good as a spin-off.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just finished the Prime remaster. I feel like they toned the difficulty down a touch? Ridley was a disgusting asspain way back when, but he seemed to get dunked into oblivion easier this time around. Ditto Metroid prime itself, I remember going back to get literally everything in the game on the GC version and barely scraping through the fight, but I did both rounds with Prime itself in a single go.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Metroid Prime Pinball could have used a little more work as a pinball title but it was still solid portable digital pinball for 2005. The rumble, though extraneous, was still a nice touch to give some force feedback.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

Just finished the Prime remaster. I feel like they toned the difficulty down a touch? Ridley was a disgusting asspain way back when, but he seemed to get dunked into oblivion easier this time around. Ditto Metroid prime itself, I remember going back to get literally everything in the game on the GC version and barely scraping through the fight, but I did both rounds with Prime itself in a single go.

Did you use the new controls? Because the game isn’t really balanced around the less clunky new stuff

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Did you use the new controls? Because the game isn’t really balanced around the less clunky new stuff

poo poo, you’re probably right. I did use the new ones, that might explain it. But I think Ridley’s triggers were slightly different too? I thought his ground-phase started after you’d knocked off half his life, but just now it didn’t start until he was ~2/3 dead.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I have a sealed copy of Metroid Prime Pinball. I'd assume now is the time to sell it with the inevitable collector association with the remaster.

How do I do that and not get screwed?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

poo poo, you’re probably right. I did use the new ones, that might explain it. But I think Ridley’s triggers were slightly different too? I thought his ground-phase started after you’d knocked off half his life, but just now it didn’t start until he was ~2/3 dead.

I was looking up version changes and they've made adjustments to both Ridley and Metroid Prime a few times since the initial release

Also if you ever replayed it on Hard, you may be used to everything doing more damage and having more health

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
245/250 missiles

Pain.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Do you still have to re-fight the Chozo ghosts even if you'd only just left the room and come back?

Because that poo poo has been preventing what would've been yearly playthroughs for decades now.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

LividLiquid posted:

Do you still have to re-fight the Chozo ghosts even if you'd only just left the room and come back?

Because that poo poo has been preventing what would've been yearly playthroughs for decades now.

If you move two rooms away and come back things respawn.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

LividLiquid posted:

They will respawn, but other than two specific rooms where the ghosts are basically minibosses, you can just walk past them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Uuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

All these versions later and they can't make them only respawn if you leave the whole area. Why? WHYYYYY?!

I don't know if I hate the music because of the encounters, or if I hate the encounters because of the music, but after only 4 lifetime playthroughs total, I never want to fight those assholes ever again.

This was true after my first playthrough.

That room with the giant Chozo statue that hurls you like a bowling ball is a really cool setpiece that can get absolutely get hosed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Natural 20 posted:

245/250 missiles

Pain.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say, it's the X-Ray visor one in Triclops Pit in Magmoor.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Fedule posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say, it's the X-Ray visor one in Triclops Pit in Magmoor.

Nah sadly not. Got that one without the visor early.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

One of the underwater ones where you need to bomb jump to reach it?

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Natural 20 posted:

Nah sadly not. Got that one without the visor early.
Watery Hall underwater section?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

hughesta posted:

Watery Hall underwater section?

It's this one.

I'm nearly 100% sure. I can't play but I'm checking in the morning.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Natural 20 posted:

It's this one.

I'm nearly 100% sure. I can't play but I'm checking in the morning.

Check main hall in Chozo Ruins, there’s a pretty random one where you super missle a tree root knot that always gets me

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LividLiquid posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

All these versions later and they can't make them only respawn if you leave the whole area. Why? WHYYYYY?!

I don't know if I hate the music because of the encounters, or if I hate the encounters because of the music, but after only 4 lifetime playthroughs total, I never want to fight those assholes ever again.

This was true after my first playthrough.

That room with the giant Chozo statue that hurls you like a bowling ball is a really cool setpiece that can get absolutely get hosed.

Yeah I just did that part today, it rules.

Chozo Ghosts are easy on Normal, you can murder the poo poo out of them with Super Missiles. It’s just on Hard that they are fuckers.

Edit:

Check main hall in Chozo Ruins, there’s a pretty random one where you super missle a tree root knot that always gets me

I forgot to do that one earlier, but I think it requires the grapple beam? Or else you have to make a really awkward jump.

Also Prime Pinball was awesome, you got to fight Thardus as a pinball how cool is that?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Metroid Prime Pinball loving ruled

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I forgot to do that one earlier, but I think it requires the grapple beam? Or else you have to make a really awkward jump.

you don’t need the grapple beam you can just drop down from the walkway above it