Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

bird food bathtub posted:

Sure the "no way to prevent this" gimmick sucks but it's a really, really clean mirror of reality. It shows exactly how much a society that can shrug off entire classes of kindergarteners decorating classroom walls with their brains also sucks. It all sucks and it's not going to get fixed, so what else is there really to do but scream in to that void?

Gun tech and gun laws haven't really changed in generations but eventually we just become so hosed up as to think, wow let's just slaughter each other because we're mad at Facebook. A country just straight up racing backwards as a society, and we weren't even that good to start with. We can no longer be trusted with guns and I remember when that was something we relentlessly mocked other countries for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

slurm posted:

Gun tech and gun laws haven't really changed in generations but eventually we just become so hosed up as to think, wow let's just slaughter each other because we're mad at Facebook. A country just straight up racing backwards as a society, and we weren't even that good to start with. We can no longer be trusted with guns and I remember when that was something we relentlessly mocked other countries for.

I hope we don’t race backward too far; the past was an even worse place to exist in America, aside from wildlife flaura/fauna biodiversity.

I don’t think most shooters give a poo poo about facebook either. I guess some shooters are pretty old, but still.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

I hope we don’t race backward too far; the past was an even worse place to exist in America, aside from wildlife flaura/fauna biodiversity.

I don’t think most shooters give a poo poo about facebook either. I guess some shooters are pretty old, but still.

It's all the same adtech poo poo pushing radicalization for clicks. Facebook for the old ones, telegram for the youths, God knows where the millennials got radicalized, probably chans.

edit: my point isn't that the past was necessarily better, just farther from exploding into an orgy of violence that none will survive and/or balkanizing into Big Syria.

slurm fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 17, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

slurm posted:

Gun laws have been changing a lot in the last few decades.

It's just not a lot of lawmakers making changes at the federal level. It's a lot of state changes and ATF administrative changes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah. States have gone a long way in legalizing CCW and shall-issue permits over the last couple decades.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

CainFortea posted:

Gun laws have been changing a lot in the last few decades.

It's just not a lot of lawmakers making changes at the federal level. It's a lot of state changes and ATF administrative changes.

There hasn't been a time since the invention of repeating firearms where you couldn't just go out and buy a big repeating firearm of some kind and go do a massacre. The rest of this stuff (NFA, AWB, CCW laws etc.) is just window dressing except, and I think this is kind of a separate thing that comes with the cultural shift and which I can talk about all day, brandishing has basically been enshrined as a god-given right which probably emboldens the poo poo out of political street fighters and mass shooters because there's nothing they can even be hassled for until the instant they pull the trigger, and usually they can bully someone into giving them a "good shoot" Kyle-style. loving insane that you can just wave a gun around all day now.

edit: and while I'm ranting I think the loving plates make these guys feel immortal no matter how false or dumb that is.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

slurm posted:

There hasn't been a time since the invention of repeating firearms where you couldn't just go out and buy a big repeating firearm of some kind and go do a massacre.

Depending on your race and creed and local laws, yes there absolutely has been, unless you mean via black market connections or forgot about nonwhite dudes.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

Depending on your race and creed and local laws, yes there absolutely has been, unless you mean via black market connections or forgot about nonwhite dudes.

Overwhelmingly a radicalized right-wing white pastime imo, this is pretty irrelevant.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
guns are like pitbulls, the people who really want to own them, shouldnt

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BREAKING: Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient Rush Limbaugh has been sober for two years

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Platystemon posted:

BREAKING: Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient Rush Limbaugh has been sober for two years

every time i see this thread title it is a small spark of joy in my dead cold heart

quote:

Right Wing Media: your daily reminder that Rush Limbaugh is dead again

congrats on two years and here's hoping many others join you

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zamujasa posted:

every time i see this thread title it is a small spark of joy in my dead cold heart

congrats on two years and here's hoping many others join you

What's even more heartwarming is that this is the only mention he gets.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1626699285168287745?s=20

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isEiygyttjo

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 18, 2023

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That anonymous mourner? A Sackler.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That anonymous mourner? A Sackler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLVSXiQeTDU

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 18, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bird food bathtub posted:

Sure the "no way to prevent this" gimmick sucks but it's a really, really clean mirror of reality. It shows exactly how much a society that can shrug off entire classes of kindergarteners decorating classroom walls with their brains also sucks. It all sucks and it's not going to get fixed, so what else is there really to do but scream in to that void?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22No_Way_to_Prevent_This%22,_Says_Only_Nation_Where_This_Regularly_Happens

An article so prevalent that it has a Wikipedia article.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/lee__vaughan/status/1626422274432634883

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
We're officially on deathwatch for Jimmy Carter, so points to you if you have him in a deathpool:

https://twitter.com/CarterCenter/status/1627039245025280003?t=zmkLPp1488zMdomonNv4Vg&s=19

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Oh no!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

We're officially on deathwatch for Jimmy Carter, so points to you if you have him in a deathpool:

https://twitter.com/CarterCenter/status/1627039245025280003?t=zmkLPp1488zMdomonNv4Vg&s=19

This has to be Kissinger's fault somehow.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

CommieGIR posted:

This has to be Kissinger's fault somehow.

Isn't everything, ultimately?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sucks. Jimmy probably most likeable living pres. The smear job he's going to receive for his troubles is going to be appalling

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Well soon he'll be the most likeable dead president so uh silver linings...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Carter is probably the least objectionable president in 60 years, but that’s not the highest of bars during the cold war and gwot. A lot of the current instability in central america is directly his fault. Building some homes for disadvantaged people doesn’t exactly make up for for arming and supporting a bunch of terrorist groups.

e: Goes without saying he's mostly going to be smeared for not being bloodthirsty enough, but let's not pretend the man was a saint because he did volunteer work after retiring.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 18, 2023

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Carter is probably the least objectionable president in 60 years, but that’s not the highest of bars during the cold war and gwot. A lot of the current instability in central america is directly his fault. Building some homes for disadvantaged people doesn’t exactly make up for for arming and supporting a bunch of terrorist groups.

e: Goes without saying he's mostly going to be smeared for not being bloodthirsty enough, but let's not pretend the man was a saint because he did volunteer work after retiring.

If all you know is that he build a couple houses, you are completely unqualified to have an opinion on him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The projection by the GOP and its followers upon everyone else when, really, they're describing themselves, continues to be remarkable.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It reminds me of the Soviet developing a whole biological weapon program on the assumption that the Americans obviously had one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FrozenVent posted:

It reminds me of the Soviet developing a whole biological weapon program on the assumption that the Americans obviously had one.

What’s twenty tonnes of variola virus per annum between friends?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Stultus Maximus posted:

If all you know is that he build a couple houses, you are completely unqualified to have an opinion on him.

It's reductive, sure. But when it comes down it, he raised money for a charity to build houses after prioritizing tax cuts while he was president. He put his time into negotiating peace as a private citizen after sending weapons to right wing militias on multiple continents when he was in charge of US foreign policy.

I just think we should take it with a grain of salt when someone tries to whitewash their actions when they were actually in power with charitable work after the fact. The Obama Foundation does good work too, but it doesn't excuse him murdering hundreds of children with drones. Some things you can't come back from.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 19, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Like being president of the USA

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It seems like every President is some form of an evil son of a bitch while they’re in office, but as far as living ex-presidents go, Carter seems like more of a decent man than anyone else. At least he didn’t start two wars or try to foment a coup so he could stay in office.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It seems like every President is some form of an evil son of a bitch while they’re in office, but as far as living ex-presidents go, Carter seems like more of a decent man than anyone else. At least he didn’t start two wars or try to foment a coup so he could stay in office.

Scribbles “Peanut Republic” in journal of novel ideas.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That’s like the lowest bar imaginable though.

You can believe that as a man, Carter has devoted a huge part of his life to active volunteering and charity work and that’s laudable.

You can also believe, in the same thought, that he was a lackluster president who squandered opportunities to achieve Democratic policy goals and undertook some really nasty actions on behalf of capitalism and anti-communism.

It’s ok to feel both things at the same time. Humans are complex and so can your opinions of them.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
sir this is the internet, there is no place for that kind of thinking here

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
He’s the only president who gives me the feeling that he actually tried his best to make the world a better place.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's reductive, sure. But when it comes down it, he raised money for a charity to build houses after prioritizing tax cuts while he was president. He put his time into negotiating peace as a private citizen after sending weapons to right wing militias on multiple continents when he was in charge of US foreign policy.

I just think we should take it with a grain of salt when someone tries to whitewash their actions when they were actually in power with charitable work after the fact. The Obama Foundation does good work too, but it doesn't excuse him murdering hundreds of children with drones. Some things you can't come back from.

No, calling the work that the Carter Center did "building some houses" and blaming Carter for the instability in Central America is not reductive it's flat out dishonest.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Stultus Maximus posted:

No, calling the work that the Carter Center did "building some houses"

No, that's that Habitat for Humanity work, And as a reminder, his administration turned down proposals to expand welfare including a UBI scheme and decided to pitch republican work requirement bullshit instead. He pushed for austerity and tax cuts as a response to economic problems, he created way more homeless people than his charity work got housed.

Stultus Maximus posted:

and blaming Carter for the instability in Central America is not reductive it's flat out dishonest.

So Carter didn't authorize the CIA to fund anti-Sandinista guerillas in Nicaragua?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No, that's that Habitat for Humanity work, And as a reminder, his administration turned down proposals to expand welfare including a UBI scheme and decided to pitch republican work requirement bullshit instead. He pushed for austerity and tax cuts as a response to economic problems, he created way more homeless people than his charity work got housed.

Okay, so you actually don't know what the Carter Center does.

quote:

So Carter didn't authorize the CIA to fund anti-Sandinista guerillas in Nicaragua?

Or what over a century of American involvement in Latin America was.

You dumb. Bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Okay, so you actually don't know what the Carter Center does.

No, that was mentioned above too - it's good diplomacy and public health work that for whatever reason wasn't a priority when he had the weight of the US executive branch behind him.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Or what over a century of American involvement in Latin America was.

"The other guys did it too" is not a great ethical argument. Carter had the choice not to arm those guerillas and exacerbate a civil war, but he went for it anyway.

Look, there's no argument he was less bad than the other guys. But there hasn't been a president for a long time that wasn't a murderous bastard when it comes to foreign policy, and only a few of them haven't exacerbated the increase of economic inequality since the second world war (actually any of them? LBJ maybe, and his foreign policy ... yeah). The political system in the US is not set up to put good people in power.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 19, 2023