Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No Wave posted:

Idk why you'd say loki isn't good he looks absolutely broken. He'd have to be like a 5/0 or something.

5/0 is exactly what I expect. Can't have his cost lower or power higher, or he'd be OP in a deck that can hand dump. Maybe 5/2.

I think they're going to gently caress up in the next few months and release a bunch of cards they think are "under control" because they have 4/0, 5/0, 6/0 stat lines, and we're going to end up with a Negative deck that needs nerfing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

priznat posted:

Excellent tips, thanks!

I don’t get destroyer in a cerebro deck though, wouldn’t that load it up and leave the other cards kinda light? Or is it just if you have locked down a lane with prof x?

Yeah, I'm confused too, unless Destroyer is only in they're to use if you don't get Cerebro? Or maybe it gets Enchantress-ed or Rogue-ed?

I have a decent enough Cerebro 3 deck. I slotted in Rhino and Scarlett Witch to take care of troublesome locations, though Monster island is the big troublemaker. I do have Valkyrie for emergencies, but I hate wasting turn 5 on just her when I could play a 2 and a 3 cost card.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My last 4 cards were Giganto, Psylocke, Lady Thor and Agent Coulson. Also a Doom and Dagger variant.

I think I'm going to hate Loki if he becomes real.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, I'm confused too, unless Destroyer is only in they're to use if you don't get Cerebro? Or maybe it gets Enchantress-ed or Rogue-ed?

I have a decent enough Cerebro 3 deck. I slotted in Rhino and Scarlett Witch to take care of troublesome locations, though Monster island is the big troublemaker. I do have Valkyrie for emergencies, but I hate wasting turn 5 on just her when I could play a 2 and a 3 cost card.

Viper is good in C3 for the monster. You can also add in Shang to take both of them out.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Flatman being a worse Mr. Fantastic is absolutely perfect. Well done, Blizzard.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I wonder if they'll ever do a card that reactivates a location's ability? Might be something interesting to play with. I'd love to see more varied locations that add or reduce power based on card cost. Make you think about placement and movement more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Push El Burrito posted:

Well done, Blizzard.

Lol

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Everyone's running movement poo poo right now and it made me think about maybe a viable deck and I'm curious about thoughts.

The basics is to try and setup Kingpin on a lane (preferably the rightmost lane) then ramp into Magneto to the left of Kingpin and then Zola Magneto. I believe Zola's copies resolve left to right so I think if the monster line is done correctly, you should pull all 3/4 cost cards to one lane on 5 and then on 6, it should pull them all back to the Kingpin lane.

I'm having problems coming up with alternate win conditions. I think Shuri 4 Aero 5 is fairly quality, get a 14 power Aero. Possibly even pull card into the Kingpin lane with Shuri 5 Aero 6. I figure there's probably gonna be a fair amount of floating which make Sunspot and Devil Dino useful.

I think the bones are there but nailing it down needs some help.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Decided to try out Freddybabe's list. I don't have Miles, but Surfer seems like a natural replacement.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

buffalo all day posted:

welcome fellow thanos enjoyer. cool deck idea, it feels like it would crush in mirror matches too.

my one thought would be to dump angela and mystique. i think if you are going for a stone-buffing deck with kazar, you need armor to protect stones (also it helps the lockjaw lane against shang, which is everywhere). and if you run kazar you should probably also run blue marvel - i think the downside of a 3/0 popping out of your lockjaw is just way too terrible for the darkhawk upside.

also, i have been converted to america chavez being a must in thanos decks - i was wrong on the math given all the draws you get with the stones. you might consider her instead of zabu (does zabu help that much?) to help you draw lockjaw and your stones

another approach: ive heard, and agree, that lockjaw thanos has ~8 must-have cards: quinjet, sunspot, lockjaw, thanos, aero, america, magneto, she hulk. you could run that + korg +rockslide +darkhawk +kazar (or BM, he's probably better)

I find I almost never pull off the 6 stones + Thanos combo. Instead, the stones become 0 or 1 cost mini utility cards (since most replace themselves with draw).

Blue Marvel is a better but then ends up costing all of turn 5, which makes rushing to Thanos more difficult. Kazaar being 4 or 3 with Zabu has felt pretty good.

Another unfortunate Lockjaw interaction is that I don't think an infinity stone counts as played if Lockjaw spits it out.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Having a really lovely day playing. It's just not fun today.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Walla posted:

what are you trying out? I've found no matter what else I try my best luck is Sera / Surfer or Ongoing Destroyer. I think it comes down to just knowing the list inside and out at this point

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Walla posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. gently caress, I've dropped from 59 to 53 since last night.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It's every deck and every game today. It's not even that I'm losing, but I'm losing because I bottom deck every card I need or get perfectly countered every turn. Just taking a break for the rest of the day.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'd like to point out that Gorr's "wherever they are" probably includes players' hands— or decks.

Just, "you don't play this game with 6-drops".

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

New Leaf posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. gently caress, I've dropped from 59 to 53 since last night.

Add me to the list. Played a few rounds this morning while letting the dog out, and just had some of the most bullshit losses.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Walla posted:

It's every deck and every game today. It's not even that I'm losing, but I'm losing because I bottom deck every card I need or get perfectly countered every turn. Just taking a break for the rest of the day.

Same. I played four games in a row with my Cerebro deck where I didn't draw Cerebro.

Barring any cards or locations that affect draw, you normally get 9 of your 12 cards in a game. So only a 25% chance of NOT drawing any given card.

Four times in a row? O.4% chance of that happening.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah I have really slowed in progression, want to hit 60 to get the variant but stalled at 57 now.

Last game my bro2 deck faced a bro3 deck and I rolled em mercilessly tho

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I gave a day or two shot at various Cerebro decks a while back and that requires wayyy to much to go perfect imo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skippy McPants posted:

I think they're going to gently caress up in the next few months and release a bunch of cards they think are "under control" because they have 4/0, 5/0, 6/0 stat lines, and we're going to end up with a Negative deck that needs nerfing.

And they'll nerf the x/0s, because they refuse to admit that Neg just needs deleting from the game.

For the interested, the Creator Clash, a $1000 cash prize Snap tourney featuring 16 popular streamers, is in progress right now:

https://twitch.tv/kawatek

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I don't even know what to try now. My Patriot deck got me to the 50s and nearly to 60, I have that Morbius-Modok-Strong Man deck that someone linked but I'm not having a ton of success.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Sean posted:

I gave a day or two shot at various Cerebro decks a while back and that requires wayyy to much to go perfect imo.

I mess up the ordering a lot but having storm to clear environment changes and beast to whisk away disrupting cards is great. Altho lately it has been less frequent to get cerebro/mystique and blue marvel all down in the right order.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

I don't even know what to try now. My Patriot deck got me to the 50s and nearly to 60, I have that Morbius-Modok-Strong Man deck that someone linked but I'm not having a ton of success.

I don't know if the strong guy discard deck is very good. If you have Dracula, that might be a better deck.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Completing my dailies I am about even with where I started, despite being a bit of an idiot like playing Wave on a turn 2 with +1 energy. But yeah, today sucks. Upgrading Colleen Wing did net me a Kingpin avatar, so I will call it a day until I get bored watching something and need to dick around.

Edit: Is anyone else having a slow go with the Season Pass this month? I'm only at 34(Should hit 37-38 when I complete the Week) and usually end up in the 70s.

Ninurta fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 18, 2023

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

priznat posted:

Excellent tips, thanks!

I don’t get destroyer in a cerebro deck though, wouldn’t that load it up and leave the other cards kinda light? Or is it just if you have locked down a lane with prof x?
C3 can't go super wide reliably; you get 6-7 bodies + cerebro + mystique if you don't play any tech cards and your curve is great. You can just play C3 on a low curve and try to eke out extra bodies with Swarm, Multiple Man+Iron Fist, I've even tried Quinjet just for Sentinel. Then if you can't go wide enough, you go home. I would argue that this is a worse C2: less reliable, not much upside, you do get a bit of control but probably not so much that it wins more overall.

The alternative is to have 1 or 2 cards you only play when you're in a matchup that you need to go tall in. Best of all if it helps interfere with your opponent's plan, or is resilient to things that disrupt your main idea. That's what Professor X/Destroyer are for. Often they're dead cards and sometimes they interfere with your ability to put down bodies. But they give you a win condition in some games when you wouldn't really have one if all you had were 2 and 3 drop bodies + cerebro + mystique.

I mostly played Iron Man as an alternative win condition. I think he's the best option without buying series 4 cards, but Destroyer C3 is a unique and surprising deck that I remember fondly.

It was also made for an earlier meta; Sera Surfer could beat C3 in 3 lanes, but with X, Cosmo, and Destroyer you could pin them down and stand a chance. Also, turn 3 Wave into Leech/Leader/Death was a nasty mixup and Destroyer left you in a decent or even hilarious position afterwards. Now it's much less common and almost entirely lacks the comedic potential. So it is probably even worse than I remember.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Ninurta posted:

Edit: Is anyone else having a slow go with the Season Pass this month? I'm only at 34(Should hit 37-38 when I complete the Week) and usually end up in the 70s.

Last season was my first BP and I made it to mid 90s by just playing & doing dailies. Currently I'm at 28. Haven't missed a daily but I guess I've been playing less?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I don't know if the strong guy discard deck is very good. If you have Dracula, that might be a better deck.

I don't unfortunately, this has been my alternative.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Game starts, first location is Ego, other guy snaps, I snap, we fist bump when it's over. Why can't all games be like that?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Loki dropping is probably my moving on to something else. That seems just awful to play against

Hopefully the conditions make the card strictly meme tier

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Loki (if it is released) is basically Weirdworld but not as a location

Unlocked Mr Negative a little while ago and have been experimenting with him. When he works he's really drat good.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Weirdworld is visible so you can retreat when you know it bricks your deck, Loki in this model would be hidden information till it was too late. It's going to be pretty disruptive but obviously we're going to have to wait and see what it really does.

Villain also has to play a proactive enough gameplan that doing nothing t5 plus a random selection of good cards t6 will still win the game, but the good news for them is that overstatted 3drops like Maximus also synergize directly with this strategy!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

DrBouvenstein posted:

Same. I played four games in a row with my Cerebro deck where I didn't draw Cerebro.

Barring any cards or locations that affect draw, you normally get 9 of your 12 cards in a game. So only a 25% chance of NOT drawing any given card.

Four times in a row? O.4% chance of that happening.

3 in a row without Cerebro, and all of those plus 1 more without Blue Marvel.

3 games without Surfer or Negative making an appearance.

I don't mind losing. But it feels like the game just doesn't want me to play today.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

wodin posted:

Weirdworld is visible so you can retreat when you know it bricks your deck, Loki in this model would be hidden information till it was too late. It's going to be pretty disruptive but obviously we're going to have to wait and see what it really does.

Villain also has to play a proactive enough gameplan that doing nothing t5 plus a random selection of good cards t6 will still win the game, but the good news for them is that overstatted 3drops like Maximus also synergize directly with this strategy!
Get ahead early and punish decks trying to drop everything on turn 6? What does that remind me of?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Walla posted:

3 in a row without Cerebro, and all of those plus 1 more without Blue Marvel.

3 games without Surfer or Negative making an appearance.

I don't mind losing. But it feels like the game just doesn't want me to play today.

Yeah Patriot when Patriot doesn't show up is bullshit. Got Mystique in literally every opening hand though.

Edit: gently caress this game. Dude slow played, dropped Magik. I had him in every location. Turn 7 he drops Dino and 2 Mystiques that I guess were free due to The Peak. loving bullshit luck. Down to 51.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 19, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Seems to be a lot more goblin players lately, which Beast also rules at collecting to send back at them.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Ninurta posted:

Completing my dailies I am about even with where I started, despite being a bit of an idiot like playing Wave on a turn 2 with +1 energy. But yeah, today sucks. Upgrading Colleen Wing did net me a Kingpin avatar, so I will call it a day until I get bored watching something and need to dick around.

It’s the end of the second week in a four week season so this seems exactly right?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Protip posted:

Experiencing the same thing right now after making it to nearly 59. Seems to happen to me every season where I'll ha e periods of good progress followed by set backs, and then hopefully catching back up and going past where I was.

I miss the Quantum Tunnel as a featured location. I was having some great win streaks with it.

New Leaf posted:

Why does it feel like the last 2 levels for a rank are so much more brutal than everything leading up to it? I went from 50-58 like it was nothing. 58-60 just seems unachievable. People keep pulling these miniscule wins out of their asses at the last second.

This is pretty much my experience. The game seems to go out of its way to gently caress me over at times. Last night I was up to 63 and dropped to 57 in about a hour of play. Then today I managed to work back up to 61 until I got 13 losses in a row and dropped back down to 57. Its like the game goes out of its way to make you bounce up and down a bunch of times before it lets you progress some.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 19, 2023

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm 51 now.. I was 50 but I clawed my way up. I wouldn't have been playing as much today if I wasn't the passenger in 2.5 hours worth of car rides today over uninteresting terrain. Like, I don't expect to win every match, but some of these just felt like repeated bullshit. Like drawing Patriot, then immediately having it stolen by a Moonstone. Or not even seeing Patriot for 5 games in a row. Or getting strung out to the last second and oh of course you have Enchantress. Or oh of course your Gambit targets the one thing that put me over the edge in that location because why wouldn't it? Over and over and over again.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I lucked into getting Aero, now I need to build a deck before she gets nerfed :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tor_blackblood
Feb 14, 2012

Where death seems to dwell...
I'm gonna have to take a break from this game. I really do enjoy the mechanics, the animations, the artwork, etc. However, I cannot justify dropping money on this game for just the chance that maybe I'll get the cards I need for a competitive deck. For the same investment of money and time, I can just buy a battle pass or some draft tokens in MTG Arena and hit the mythic ladder within the month consistently. All that being said, if Second Dinner ever does implement a crafting system for cards, I will come back in a heartbeat.