Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Is the Breen helmet the same one that Leia wears when meeting Jabba in Return of the Jedi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Still making my way through TOS for the first time. "There is no right way to hit a woman" is currently the weirdest quote I've encountered.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Meatgrinder posted:

Still making my way through TOS for the first time. "There is no right way to hit a woman" is currently the weirdest quote I've encountered.

Reese's ads got weird in the 23rd century.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Meatgrinder posted:

On the one hand, it's good of the show to say "Violence against women is always wrong", but at the same time TOS was misogynistic as poo poo so ehhhh

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
Rewatching season 1 of TOS along with the Nextlander Watchcast provided some real whiplash from things that seemed fairly progressive for their time, immediately followed by oh.. oh god.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Meatgrinder posted:

"So do it the wrong way"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wait until you get to the end of The Enemy Within...

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nine-gear crow posted:

On the one hand, it's good of the show to say "Violence against women is always wrong", but at the same time TOS was misogynistic as poo poo so ehhhh

Yeah, mixed messages abound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooypmDJX4k8

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Wait until you get to the end of The Enemy Within...

Yeah I know, I've seen it, I'm watching the episodes in order of production

I am also surprised at how much of the Star Trek I already know is rooted in TOS, storywise and characterwise

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Honestly, when you get to Season 3 just use a watchlist because it's really slim pickings for decent episodes

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You have to watch Spock's Brain in whole every time it's available.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Honestly, when you get to Season 3 just use a watchlist because it's really slim pickings for decent episodes

Yeah, that season's episodes run the gamut from "dogshit" (Turnabout Intruder) to "decent ideas, poor execution" (Wink of An Eye) to "good episode" (Enterprise Incident). I'd say about 95% of it is chaff, though.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah, that season's episodes run the gamut from "dogshit" (Turnabout Intruder) to "decent ideas, poor execution" (Wink of An Eye) to "good episode" (Enterprise Incident). I'd say about 95% of it is chaff, though.

Enterprise Incident
Is There in Truth No Beauty?
Day of the Dove
Tholian Web (even if it is a little overwrought, it’s good by season 3 standards)

83% chaff, to be precise. (And I know it’s crap, but I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for Spectre of the Gun, but I realize that I’m a Herbert and have removed it from contention.)

What boggles me is you have all of the off-season to work on scripts and ideas. Your budget hasn’t been blown yet. You could climb onto the mound with your strikeout (Enterprise Incident or Day of the Dove, I’d say). No need to check the bases; it’s the top of the inning. You look at the catcher’s signal, nod, wind up, and pitch Spock’s Brain right at the batter’s hip.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Star Trek always struggled to get shootable scripts and the knowledge that it was a doomed series didn't help matters either. It's not like they had a big staff of writers that wrote all the scripts for the season.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Admiralty Flag posted:

83% chaff, to be precise. (And I know it’s crap, but I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for Spectre of the Gun, but I realize that I’m a Herbert and have removed it from contention.)

Spectre of the Gun is worth watching for the set design alone. That episode is amazing to look at. The story isn't that bad either, at least by season 3 standards.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Season 3 is a lame duck. The network had already killed the show and this was the resurrected version, now with less money, less writers and a new producer who described the show as "tits in space". Coon wrote the episode along these lines, tongue in cheek. Hot chicks literally steal the show's brain.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think Spectre is a great episode, and I really like the scene where Kirk confronts the Sheriff and practically begs him for an alternative to killing the Earps. A lot is said about Shatner's acting but I think he plays it well in that scene.

I've probably mentioned this before and don't remember: For The World Is Hollow is an odd one. It takes us through several bombshells - main character has a degenerative disease that will kill them, main character decides to leave Starfleet and join the Fabrini, main character immediately falls in love with one of the natives. But these happen so fast that you're not given time to absorb any of it; the pace is ADHD. The episode feels like a rough/first draft that someone looked at and said, "Good enough; film it".

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I think Spectre is a great episode, and I really like the scene where Kirk confronts the Sheriff and practically begs him for an alternative to killing the Earps. A lot is said about Shatner's acting but I think he plays it well in that scene.

I've probably mentioned this before and don't remember: For The World Is Hollow is an odd one. It takes us through several bombshells - main character has a degenerative disease that will kill them, main character decides to leave Starfleet and join the Fabrini, main character immediately falls in love with one of the natives. But these happen so fast that you're not given time to absorb any of it; the pace is ADHD. The episode feels like a rough/first draft that someone looked at and said, "Good enough; film it".

This one is kind of a mess, but I love the setting.

Other decent S3 episodes imo
“The Savage Curtain”. Spends a bit too long on Kirk and Lincoln before getting to the secondary premise of the fight, which kicks rear end.
“All Our Yesterdays”. Kind of a companion to World is Hollow imo, Spock romance with a weirdly depressing doomed-planet setting
“The Cloud Minders”. Kirk tries to finagle unethically mined pesticide out of a planet of sky-dwelling slavemasters.
“Plato’s Stepchildren”. Just loving weird

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

You have to watch Spock's Brain in whole every time it's available.

What's strange about it is that aside from two MAJOR problems, there's something lurking in there.

If you had a whole Spock stolen instead of trying to figure out how an entire person can survive without a brain and you didn't have the part where you can remote control an entire person with four buttons, it sort of turns into a hybrid of Picard gets kidnapped by the Borg and when Barclay turns into the ship's computer. You can even leave in the part where Spock performs brain surgery on himself!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

skasion posted:

“All Our Yesterdays”. Kind of a companion to World is Hollow imo, Spock romance with a weirdly depressing doomed-planet setting

The inhabitants were "prepared" to be sent back in time to whatever era they wanted. Okay. How was it that they didn't screw up the timeline that allowed the science that prepared them?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

The inhabitants were "prepared" to be sent back in time to whatever era they wanted. Okay. How was it that they didn't screw up the timeline that allowed the science that prepared them?

It could be that's what they were "prepared" for. But then again, from their point of view why should they care? Their planet is about to die anyway, if they screw up the timeline somehow that is probably a bonus.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" and "Requiem for Methuselah" both have problems, but they're enjoyable stories I think. They're not great episodes, but they're decent sci-fi, which is what TOS is on the whole

"All Our Yesterdays" is also good and should be watched instead of "Turnabout Intruder"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

As far as I'm concerned, All Our Yesterdays is the final episode of TOS. It works better as a finale anyway.

You could even tie the plot into TMP. Maybe Spock was so concerned about his emotional outbursts in this episode and Plato's Stepchildren and felt like he needed to undergo the Kolinahr to re-center himself.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 19, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Which episode was it that had Spock jamming with the space hippies?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

wesleywillis posted:

The Way To Eden. Yeah, brother!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I really should go back and watch the TOS I haven't done that in a while.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

What are you, a Herbert?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

LMAO at Geordi failure at dating in the early episodes of TNG. He's such a loser

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sash! posted:

What's strange about it is that aside from two MAJOR problems, there's something lurking in there.

Well, of course there's something good in there; Gene Coon wrote it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hollismason posted:

LMAO at Geordi failure at dating in the early episodes of TNG. He's such a loser

Picard S3 ep 3 spoiler Geordi married to a Soong golem implanted with a holo Leah. They even have a kid but they do nothing with the concept, basically ignore it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Khanstant posted:

Picard S3 ep 3 spoiler Geordi married to a Soong golem implanted with a holo Leah. They even have a kid but they do nothing with the concept, basically ignore it.

Well that's not creepy as hell or anything.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Khanstant posted:

lmao

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Khanstant posted:

This is so stupid but also 100% within Picard’s usual writing quality that I’m honestly having a hard time deciding if it’s real

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh drat just got to the absolutely banger of a episode The Hunted S3 E11 and its just absolutely fantastic how this guy clowns the people on the Enterprise.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Please be real please be real please be real please be real

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is so stupid but also 100% within Picard’s usual writing quality that I’m honestly having a hard time deciding if it’s real

This but the entire show every time I hear anything about it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I hope Geordi's android wife turns out to be Lore posing as a copy of Leah Brahms. That would rule in the worst way :unsmigghh:

Star Trek needs to go back to it's ABCs:

Always
Sexually
Humiliate
Geordi

wait

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

If it's real, there was a youtuber that called it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

If it's real, there was a youtuber that called it.

Was he wearing a mask that looked suspiciously like a urinal? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but then space Jesus uses magic powers to give him his mojo back, then Crusher falls in love with space Jesus