Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Data Graham posted:

As I alluded to before though, I don't understand why the songs in Team America were so much worse, both lyrically and musically, if they're also by Marc Shaiman. "Everyone Has AIDS" is good, but the rest leave me real cold. "Montage" is also a classic of course but it's recycled from SP (where it is used much more effectively from a filmmaking standpoint I might add — the "fade out" joke doesn't even work the way they do it in the movie because it's a crossfade not a fade out :argh:)

The answer to that is the songs in Team America were not by Marc Shaiman, except for Everyone Has AIDS; Parker co-wrote that one with Shaiman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I really enjoy Ito horror because if you don't know the rules of what you're dealing with, you're powerless to solve it. The closest feeling I can think of is learning about bizarre, real life mysteries like Khamar-Daban, the Flannan Isles Lighthouse, or the Oakville Blobs. There's something spectacularly unsettling about knowing something is happening and you don't know why.

My favorite one is the one with the head balloons. I mean besides Cat Diary, obviously.

I’ve never heard of these mysteries before and loved looking them up. Thanks for mentioning them.

Have yet to see the Junji Ito series yet though. I remember reading the books years ago.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

As I alluded to before though, I don't understand why the songs in Team America were so much worse, both lyrically and musically, if they're also by Marc Shaiman. "Everyone Has AIDS" is good, but the rest leave me real cold. "Montage" is also a classic of course but it's recycled from SP (where it is used much more effectively from a filmmaking standpoint I might add — the "fade out" joke doesn't even work the way they do it in the movie because it's a crossfade not a fade out :argh:)

WHUT WOULD YOU DEW

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
this thread has made me relisten to the bigger longer uncut soundtrack and i thank yall

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There are people who came away from the movie thinking that every time Mr. Mackey says "m'kay" he's secretly saying "gently caress"

This keeps me up some nights to this day

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

I’ve never heard of these mysteries before and loved looking them up. Thanks for mentioning them.

Have yet to see the Junji Ito series yet though. I remember reading the books years ago.

All the Junji Ito anime series so far have not really held up. But Uzumaki looks like they're actually putting in the work which is why its been delayed so much. I hope it lives up to the source material.

Japan is getting there with CG. Studio Orange is great of course but there was also that recent Slam Dunk movie. A friend of a friend worked on it, they spent 8 years on it because they started with a very small crew to figure out how to really translate Inoue's style into cg. Also Inoue was the movie's director so was very controlling of them matching his vision exactly.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i do like how one of the ito episodes ends with some teenage girl who's almost been murdered multiple times after viewing monster poo poo essentially being like "oof what a day"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pixeltendo posted:

I thought the Spiral arc by Ito was alright but it has a lot of meandering in the middle of the book and some flat out bizarre stories even for horror.

Like the tornado who is in love with the lead. Everything that happened there was such a “the hell am I reading here? :psyduck:

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Data Graham posted:

There are people who came away from the movie thinking that every time Mr. Mackey says "m'kay" he's secretly saying "gently caress"

This keeps me up some nights to this day

it's easy, gently caress

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was some Junji Ito comics in the PYF comics thread a while back, definitely a mixed bag tone-wise but I think like a lot of horror writers he likes to establish some hosed up poo poo is going on, explore the idea as far as it can go, and then leave off at a high note rather than force an ending unless there's a good twist to it.

I've got a fun liking for the one with the mysterious honey where people who eat it occasionally get literally flattened out of nowhere. And that the source is a huge, strange tree-like organism which is implied to not even be sentient, but responds to people eating its honey- especially when anyone else is watching- by swatting them through some kind of portal with its limbs. With the theorising that it's not even anywhere near sentient, it's just a strange organism with inexplicable senses and abilities reacting like someone swatting a mosquito in response to feeling it bite. Reminds me of Nope a bit.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I like that Ito can get pretty goofy with some of his stuff, like the story where a woman moves into a new apartment across from a graveyard and starts seeing ghosts flying out of the graves every night. It's a little bit spooky until it turns out that her bodybuilder neighbor has been sneaking out every night and moving the headstones so that it disturbs the ghosts and they can act as an audience he can flex and do poses for.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, I like it. The line between "What the gently caress?" And "WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUCK?!" is thin and capricious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
any good horror writer needs to have at least some appreciation for the absurd

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Flying Zamboni posted:

I like that Ito can get pretty goofy with some of his stuff, like the story where a woman moves into a new apartment across from a graveyard and starts seeing ghosts flying out of the graves every night. It's a little bit spooky until it turns out that her bodybuilder neighbor has been sneaking out every night and moving the headstones so that it disturbs the ghosts and they can act as an audience he can flex and do poses for.

Do you remember the name of that story? I don't think I've read that one.

Junji Ito is a funny guy, even his more serious stories sometimes have one or two good gags or silly moments in them. I think my favorite of his more goofy stories (other than Cat Diaries) are his Souichi tales which are just "what if a horror movie villain was a socially inept teenage boy and despite having legit magical powers he was still totally incompetent and failed at every evil thing he tried to accomplish?"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Everything I read about Ito makes him seem like the mildest, sweetest guy and it's loving great.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

Everything I read about Ito makes him seem like the mildest, sweetest guy and it's loving great.

I love the videos viz put out a while back of him reacting to various internet horror monsters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXitORBeB0&ab_channel=vizmedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXitORBeB0&ab_channel=vizmedia

Just a chill dude casually describing a bunch of creepy stuff.

Important Edit:

I just learned that there is also a video of him reacting to anime cats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sV6QSHBiQc&ab_channel=CrunchyrollExtras

And some real life cats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GK54-ouFBk&ab_channel=CrunchyrollExtras

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 20, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Horror and comedy do famously have a lot of overlap in skillset and structure, after all. (see also Jordan Peele as mentioned above)

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
According to an Jordan Peele, "the difference between comedy and horror is the music."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Nameless Pete posted:

According to an Jordan Peele, "the difference between comedy and horror is the music."

Now I want to watch Big bang theory, but the laughtrack is replaced by that violin shock note instead.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Nameless Pete posted:

Tone is a delicate thing, for sure.

Another good example of the closeness between comedy and horror would be Barbarian, a film directed by a guy from Whitest Kids You Know. The guy who bought the gallon of PCP in fact.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Do you remember the name of that story? I don't think I've read that one.

Graveman

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ccs posted:

All the Junji Ito anime series so far have not really held up. B

I like it. Anthologies as a rule always have some bad episodes, but when Tales of the Macabre hits it really hits. Layers of Fear for example was amazingly hosed up. I also liked the ending of The Thing that Drifted Ashore: humans became parasites inside a giant fish thing and it hosed them up. That's it, end of story, no morale.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ccs posted:

All the Junji Ito anime series so far have not really held up.

the latest one was very cheap, limited animation - which again limited animation could work if judiciously applied, but it felt more like it was because they were on a tight budget.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I also feel that the ito animations she been hamstrung by their need to translate iconic panels 1:1 and as a result have little artistic input. They feel like motion comics sometimes.

Perfect example is the Tomie story in the Maniac anthology where her head gets chopped off. there's a scene where some kind of half-formed head lump comes out of the neck of the corpse that's left and it just looks goofy as gently caress because there's no attempt at selling how hosed up that would be. no spasms of the body, nothing like the lump struggling to get free of the limits of the body. it just kind of half-gurgles and runs out.

They would also benefit from having more texture to things. Grimyness, Uncomfortable ripples under skin, just weird poo poo. The giant fish full of parasites should have shown them so be slightly transparent, have things like organs visible, have them slightly luminesce in weird ways, instead of just making them pale.

The Ito collection tried but it was very cut-rate stuff. Like a texture found in Google set at 25% transparency + Overlay

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 20, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Flying Zamboni posted:

lol junji ito rules

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

my favourite thing about spiral is how matter-of-fact everyone is about continuing to live as their surroundings become more bizarre and horrific. nobody's screaming "WHY IS THIS HAPPENING", they realise there's no way out and then they all just kind of try to carry on their normal lives with what's available to them

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 21, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Rewatching Aqua Teen Plantasm. Would it be juvenile to say that it's my favorite animated film of 2022?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mutantIke posted:

Rewatching Aqua Teen Plantasm. Would it be juvenile to say that it's my favorite animated film of 2022?

yes but that's ok

alternate answer: "It don't matter. None of this matters."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

a strange fowl posted:

my favourite thing about spiral is how matter-of-fact everyone is about continuing to live as their surroundings become more bizarre and horrific. nobody's screaming "WHY IS THIS HAPPENING", they realise there's no way out and then they all just kind of try to carry on their normal lives with what's available to them

Almost too much of a mood.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm watching the Ito Maniac series, and am enjoying it so far despite the budget, partially because they are stories that I'm not familiar with. I liked how Ice Cream Bus ended, hosed up in a kind of hilarious way.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1628087186632368128?s=61&t=f5_ftR_wP5KTPZtZn6smIQ

Ooof. What is this, the third or fourth time they’ve tried to do something animated with the characters beyond the music videos that fell through?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

mutantIke posted:

No, it would be cool and rad because Aqua Teen rules and I'm glad we're getting more.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm watching the Ito Maniac series, and am enjoying it so far despite the budget, partially because they are stories that I'm not familiar with. I liked how Ice Cream Bus ended, hosed up in a kind of hilarious way.

Yeah, that's the thing about the Junji Ito anime series, even though the animation isn't that great the stories themselves are still fantastic horror.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Now I want to watch Big bang theory, but the laughtrack is replaced by that violin shock note instead.

Not Big Bang Theory but here you go.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Now I'm reminded of someone did a counter of how many times the whip crack sound was used in Johnny Test (one episode had 190 uses)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I got the Puss in Boots:TLW art book today and it's of course, extremely good. There's a very sweet double page spread of the crew that made me very happy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Holy poo poo the foley work at the end of Long Hair in the Attic was amazing and horrible. I never want to hear that again.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll be honest, if she'd handled the situation better I'd be on Tomie's side in that situation because the main character WAS being a complete creep, and then exposed a sensitive medical situation purely out of spite for her rightfully putting a stop to it. She overreacted but had good reasons for being angry, whatever the situation was with the nesting heads.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll be honest, if she'd handled the situation better I'd be on Tomie's side in that situation because the main character WAS being a complete creep, and then exposed a sensitive medical situation purely out of spite for her rightfully putting a stop to it. She overreacted but had good reasons for being angry, whatever the situation was with the nesting heads.

The ending was pretty hilarious though:After witnessing Tomie being decapitated and watching a new head starting to grow out of the body she just shrugs her shoulders and decides to clean up the apartment.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Alhazred posted:

The ending was pretty hilarious though:After witnessing Tomie being decapitated and watching a new head starting to grow out of the body she just shrugs her shoulders and decides to clean up the apartment.

Eh, the best thing to do in any Junji Ito story is just ignore the problem. If you investigate it or get too close to it, bad things tend to happen. Remember Mold. Also while macabre I thought the ending to Whispering Woman was surprisingly sweet. The only person to get murdered deserved it, and the two women have found a strong bond and a lot of comfort in their parasocial relationship. While it's not healthy, it's the best the introvert can do for now.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Have to say that it's weird that they decided to make Soichi the mascot for the anthology and not Tomie who is arguably better known and more interesting.