Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

Surprised I missed this one. Seems Kirk Cameron was trying to counter Drag Queen Story Hour with Christian Actor Story Hour, but none of the libraries were interested.
https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/kirk-cameron-denied-story-hour-slot-public-libraries-faith-kids-book.amp?s=09

sToP iNdOcTriNaTiNg ChiLdReN

Edit:

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

In regards to the man himself who is the hopefully forever subject of the thread title. I saw this on Imgur tonight:

Apparently Rush Limbaugh's headstone has been pissed on so much since he died that the accumulation of acid from people's urine has begun to permanently damage the marble it's made out of.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

nine-gear crow posted:

In regards to the man himself who is the hopefully forever subject of the thread title. I saw this on Imgur tonight:

Apparently Rush Limbaugh's headstone has been pissed on so much since he died that the accumulation of acid from people's urine has begun to permanently damage the marble it's made out of.

holy poo poo piss

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Once again I'd like to state how I sometimes enjoy listening to Glenn Beck purely because unlike other RWM which is usually pretty predictable, you never know what wild poo poo Glenn is going to go off about. Today was a doozy. He was doing a big rant about the recent revelation of emails (I think it was emails?) between the head of JP Morgan Chase and Jeffrey Epstein talking about Disney princesses to refer to the underage girls Epstein had, as well as Bill Gates being on Pedo Island. He was talking about how wealthy people and people in positions of power seem to be able to do whatever they want without facing any consequences (irony bonus: he specifically namedropped Matt Gaetz right before this rant and talked about how it was fortunate that the Deep State had failed to smear and destroy Gaetz with their lies).

What he's saying about rich people never facing consequences isn't wrong, but this is the crazy part. Stopped to get gas for a while and when I came back after, Glenn was telling a story. It was meant to illustrate how the Deep State punishes people who try to reveal their crimes and the methods they use. He said that one day while he was at Fox News he was called into Roger Ailes' office for a meeting. It was just the two of them and Ailes walked in with a giant folder filled with papers, sat down and said "You know Glenn, it's always a shame when someone like you has a beautiful wife." Glenn asked why that was and Ailes said "Because it means that when word gets out about what people have been doing in secret, it's devastating to the family." Glenn then replied "That's why I don't do those things" and they had a good old fashioned staredown, Ailes put the folder away and said "Just be careful" and that was the end of the meeting.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

I'll believe it six months after I see it, and even then I'll only give it a 50/50. Fox isn't Alex Jones, they won't do stupid poo poo like blatantly violate trial procedures then outright lie about it in writing or insult the judge personally and repeatedly. They have lawyers, pay them well, and listen to them.
They were hiding the evidence that Dominion just released though? Doesn’t that violate trial procedures?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Where to put this? I guess here will work.

A coworker shared a totally true story of some kid in another kid's school or something where the child "identified as a cat" or maybe a dog I forget but, according to this dude, the school had to provide a special feeding bowl for the kid and place it on the floor so he could eat.

I called bullshit but not out loud and all the customers at the table bought it in a "what's the world coming to/poo poo is crazy" way.

I don't believe for one second believe all these litter box, feeding dish, kennel cages stories.

For one thing: bullshit in the first place. Secondly: I would think you'd have a public health/child safety situation on your hands if kids were allowed to poo poo in a box, eat off the floor or be locked in a cage.

That stuff is meant to be used for border patrol.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's the same story everyone keeps repeating.
Try the crazy fwd thread

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I’ve got an idea: maybe when you hear morons spreading obvious bullshit, you should call bullshit out loud and not in your head, or in this thread.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PT6A posted:

I’ve got an idea: maybe when you hear morons spreading obvious bullshit, you should call bullshit out loud and not in your head, or in this thread.

That's not always possible in the workplace. It would be nice if it were, but putting your livelihood on the line isn't something that everyone can do.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dude, im loving socially anxious enough as it is. I dont need to put my self out there so that they can say "oh well, still, it couldve easily happened, so it says something about our culture" and them not learning a drat thing.

I also dont have any energy to get defensive if they start asking me my politics and stuff... im just trying to keep it together.

Too much work for too little payoff

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

PT6A posted:

This is my gut reaction/response but I know that when it actually happens it can be easy to lose your resolve or hesitate due to other variables.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
One parent in my sons social group almost always starts off conversations with, “can you believe what they are doing now?” types rants.

I started calling bullshit, asking pointed questions about what exactly the details of todays outrageous thing is and immediately the other parents who had been nodding along passively were on my side with their own questions of the dubious claims.

Call it out, you have allies, people just tend not to rock the boat.

Most of the nonsense can be googled in 20 seconds while they are ranting and debunked on the spot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

PT6A posted:

I often do. I posted an example of a time I did just that not too long ago in this very thread and someone called it STDH.txt.

In this particular instance I was at work, surrounded by customers and in a bit of a subordinate position where, by the nature of my job, I'm not exactly expected (or even allowed) to disrupt, interject or distract from the table and the host. I speak up frequently and often but at the same time I choose my battles and this was not the time or the place.

Think: restaurant server overhearing an uncomfortable political/personal/religious conversation who is just trying to deliver food and do their job. Or a bank teller listening to a crazy old person railing about some poo poo they heard on talk radio while they're simply trying to deposit some checks or write up a money order.

HAd it just been me and the person running the table talking to me during a dead spread, sans customers, there would have been a conversation there.

But thanks for telling me what I should have done that would likely have accomplished nothing and may have led to being reprimanded by my employer. I'll try to be more brave in the future fighting the good fight and report back to you with the results where I changed everyone's mind and they all clapped. Appreciate the pep talk.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 18, 2023

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
That's why chuds blabber on about their bullshit to clerks, receptionists, servers, etc. Because they know even if the other person disagrees with them they can't say a thing back or it will risk their job. It's all part of their bizarre power/domination game.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TheArchimage posted:

That's why chuds blabber on about their bullshit to clerks, receptionists, servers, etc. Because they know even if the other person disagrees with them they can't say a thing back or it will risk their job. It's all part of their bizarre power/domination game.
Also why they do it at family gatherings (because the pressure is on the non-chuds present to nod and smile and not escalate, because of decorum and not rocking the boat).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

TheArchimage posted:

Yeah, BiggerBoat reminded me of how they'll always pick times and places where they have a bully pulpit to speak down from.

Another situation I've been in is where I am going to be done in about twenty minutes, and do I really want to get dragged into an argument that doesn't go anywhere, then be amped up and angry after I'm done? Or do I want to try to power through that last twenty minutes without carrying that on my shoulders? I find it's a lot easier to speak up online than in real life because it takes less mental energy.

But I know how frustrating it can be to want to say something but you just don't have the energy or the opportunity to do so.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OgNar posted:

Matt Gaetz officially off the hook for sex trafficking
Lmao. Lol, even.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Murgos posted:

One parent in my sons social group almost always starts off conversations with, “can you believe what they are doing now?” types rants.

I started calling bullshit, asking pointed questions about what exactly the details of todays outrageous thing is and immediately the other parents who had been nodding along passively were on my side with their own questions of the dubious claims.

Call it out, you have allies, people just tend not to rock the boat.

Most of the nonsense can be googled in 20 seconds while they are ranting and debunked on the spot.

Herein lies the big problem tho - they won’t believe you. I’ve tried this before and I’ve been told anything from “well even if THIS wasn’t true it still happens and everything is so hosed up that it COULD be true” to “google just hides stuff it doesn’t want you know about and they censor anything that doesn’t go with THE LIBERAL AGENDA”

I’ve just given up on a lot of those cases because literally nothing will satisfy them. They will deny the evidence and claim it’s all fake news or it’s “cancel culture censorship” or liberals suppressing the truth. These people are so far gone with their hate that they can’t be helped.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

GPTribefan posted:

Herein lies the big problem tho - they won’t believe you. I’ve tried this before and I’ve been told anything from “well even if THIS wasn’t true it still happens and everything is so hosed up that it COULD be true” to “google just hides stuff it doesn’t want you know about and they censor anything that doesn’t go with THE LIBERAL AGENDA”

I’ve just given up on a lot of those cases because literally nothing will satisfy them. They will deny the evidence and claim it’s all fake news or it’s “cancel culture censorship” or liberals suppressing the truth. These people are so far gone with their hate that they can’t be helped.

One thing to do is to nail them to the specific claim, and interrogate where they got it. You can then transition to source derogation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

One thing to do is to nail them to the specific claim, and interrogate where they got it. You can then transition to source derogation.

Not really, at least in my experience.

For example, one weirdo loon who lives on my street likes to say "fake news" and when I asked her for an example of what she meant - just ONE - she kept saying "all of it". I'm like OK, give me one fake news story and let's talk about that.

"Everything. All fake."

I mean...at that stage of this of the...if you even want to call it a conversation, "fake news" is just a gently caress You Card for anything they don't like. It's that juvenile. If "all of it" is fake news, just give me your favorite example, since you seem to have a long list, but many of the discussions I try to have amount to a 4th grade kid saying "nuh uh I called it no takebacks".

I TRY, believe me I try, and on occasion I meet a libertarian type or a semi informed Republican that can debate me in something resembling good faith with some information to back up what they say, but for the most part it's the whole arguing backwards from the conclusion thing or similar to debating a staunch believer in the Bible. I'll cede and acknowledge logical points, admit when I don't entirely know something or conclusively know what I'm talking about but MAGA CHUDS seem to lack this sense of humility and self examination.

Their heads are made of loving granite. Most of them anyway.

You can see it in the simplistic way they decorate their lawns and trucks. Flags everywhere. The shirts they wear. What do you have against the FLAG? See? I'm a patriot who loves America and, by extension, anyone who doesn't think the way I do is the opposite and HATES it. Here's my I LOVE COPS decal on my rear windshield tight where the officer who pulled me over can see it when he approaches my driver side window.

They say they LOVE THE TROOPS but hate mentally ill homeless people, many of which are vets. Jacksonville, FL, 30 miles north of me, just made panhandling illegal. You know, like Jesus said in the Bible.

The Party of Small Government here in The Great Free State of Florida*, wants to control what students can read and be taught and also fast track the government's power to execute people. These are "Christians"

* Sean Hannity

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 18, 2023

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Lol you all assuming Republicans care about being hypocrites. They don't give a gently caress.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dpulex posted:

Lol you all assuming Republicans care about being hypocrites. They don't give a gently caress.

I don't assume that. I expect it from them.

They call media out for quoting them saying they poo poo their on video actually saying and calling it fake news.

Their sheer gall is impressive in a certain way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

BiggerBoat posted:

Not really, at least in my experience.

For example, one weirdo loon who lives on my street likes to say "fake news" and when I asked her for an example of what she meant - just ONE - she kept saying "all of it". I'm like OK, give me one fake news story and let's talk about that.

"Everything. All fake."

I mean...at that stage of this of the...if you even want to call it a conversation, "fake news" is just a gently caress You Card for anything they don't like. It's that juvenile. If "all of it" is fake news, just give me your favorite example, since you seem to have a long list, but many of the discussions I try to have amount to a 4th grade kid saying "nuh uh I called it no takebacks".

Yeah, I know all that. I was responding to scenarios where the individual is making a specific claim and has already acknowledged it was false. That's the specific context where the affirm, trace, derogate approach works. The point is to get them to identify with the correction separately from the source and to then reframe the issue such that they see the source of the information as the face threat.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jimmy Carter is in hospice care and about to die and, in anticipation of what is sure to be a RWM field day telling us all how terrible he was, I'd like anyone who has the time to read this

https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/jimmycarterlawday1974.htm

and think of a world where people who thought and spoke like this ran the show and got elected to office instead of whatever it is we have now

It's a little long but worth it. At least it was for me.

What a monster this man was.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

BiggerBoat posted:

Jimmy Carter is in hospice care and about to die and, in anticipation of what is sure to be a RWM field day telling us all how terrible he was, I'd like anyone who has the time to read this

and think of a world where people who thought and spoke like this ran the show and got elected to office instead of whatever it is we have now

History’s GREATEST monster

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'd quote some of it but, seriously, it's worth 10 minutes of anyone's time and I'm not sure which parts I would pull quote.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PT6A posted:

Cool, but they're in charge of I can stay in my house or not by giving me a bi-monthly survival stipend

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Ann Coulter finally about to come storming back to relevance after 15 years in exile. No one hates Jimmy Carter worse than that ugly bag of barely water :buddy:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

nine-gear crow posted:

Ann Coulter finally about to come storming back to relevance after 15 years in exile. No one hates Jimmy Carter worse than that ugly bag of barely water :buddy:

Ann was recently being talked about for telling Nimarata Nikki Randhawa Haley to go back to her own country.

https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/status/1626398105926086656

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OgNar posted:

Ann was recently being talked about for telling Nimarata Nikki Randhawa Haley to go back to her own country.

https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/status/1626398105926086656

On the one hand, Nikki Haley doesn't have far to go to go back to her home country, so problem already solved there, Ann. On the other hand, gently caress both Nikki Haley and Ann Coulter.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The birther trick probably works really well when it’s kept to republican primaries, like telling people that John McCain has secret black sons.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Btw, the reason schools are keeping cat litter on hand is so that it's easier to clean up blood.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn’t there a district where someone recommended buckets of cat litter so that kids would be able to piss during as mass shooting if they were barricaded in the classroom?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yes, some schools built "lockdown kits" which included a bucket of kitty litter.

Nobody anywhere has put litter boxes out for kids who are identifying as cats. Also no kids are identifying as cats.

This isn't a criticism or callout but: as much as you post in this thread BiggerBoat I'm surprised you missed that rumor going around. Joe Rogan even repeated it as fact, claiming that "a personal friend who is a teacher had to do this", only to get called the gently caress out immediately and halfway walk it back, which seemed to diffuse it from the mainstream. It was the last time I heard it until you posted anyway. But yeah these things have a life of their own and as long as idiots on facebook want unbelievable poo poo to be outraged about it will keep circulating.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 19, 2023

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

LloydDobler posted:

Yes, some schools built "lockdown kits" which included a bucket of kitty litter.

Nobody anywhere has put litter boxes out for kids who are identifying as cats. Also no kids are identifying as cats.

This isn't a criticism or callout but: as much as you post in this thread BiggerBoat I'm surprised you missed that rumor going around. Joe Rogan even repeated it as fact, claiming that "a personal friend who is a teacher had to do this", only to get called the gently caress out immediately and halfway walk it back, which seemed to diffuse it from the mainstream. It was the last time I heard it until you posted anyway. But yeah these things have a life of their own and as long as idiots on facebook want unbelievable poo poo to be outraged about it will keep circulating.

Thinking like a 'social engineer'; we've observed the effectiveness of "someone I know personally had X happen." It's a dark-side rhetorical technique, 'testimony' that exploits vulnerabilities in default naive human reasoning methods (and even humans with expertise in formal logical reasoning remain vulnerable to it). These sorts of urban legends have been observed in the wild with incredible frequency; indeed, this phenomenon is a significant impetus for snopes.com being a thing.

Now imagine a political party, or the defense dept of a nation-state, or a for-hire PR firm working for a petrochemical company - operating on social media, employing a sock puppet army capable of sliding into any target's dms (using persona management software). Imagine this technique has become commonplace, and various bot networks are working against each other, and some work synergistically together, and the population loses its sense of Truth and, with that loss, Sanity declines

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Fox claiming that the Ohio incident is all the Lefts fault.
And that the Left is being awfully silent about the whole thing because they know that they didn't demand chemicals be transported by pipeline instead of rail.
This is of course part of their, 'If Greta is so great why isnt she here now?' tactic on anything even remotely environmental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f15Nc0vdtxQ

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
the dmaned leftists, being quiet about the systemic failures of our infrastructure again

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

:smug: "Where's your answer to that, leftard?"
::Immediately shoves fingers in ears going la la la I can't hear you::

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The cat litter in schools one is extra stupid because there’s no one crueler than high schoolers so the fact that these stories mysteriously broke because of politicians and right wing media rather than all over TikTok is a sign that it’s made up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DC Murderverse posted:

The cat litter in schools one is extra stupid because there’s no one crueler than high schoolers so the fact that these stories mysteriously broke because of politicians and right wing media rather than all over TikTok is a sign that it’s made up

It's just multiple levels of insanity, to the point that it's almost a shibboleth to confirm that you're a complete nut who's receptive to utter nonsense; in fact, I suspect that's exactly what it is. It's a purposeful sign that you've decided to reject reality and substitute your own, that you may then identify fellow travelers. I don't believe for a second that anyone actually takes it seriously.