Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
It's not so different from poker lingo "Flopping the nuts with my pocket rockets".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Buschmaki posted:

Mahjong is not any more complicated than something like texas hold em imo

I've played both and mahjongg is definitely more complicated. But it's also older so it's had more time to get houseruled/refined to hell and back

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think the only Western card game commonly played that’s more complicated than riichi mahjong is bridge. (I assume other mahjong variants are of similar complexity but I don’t have personal experience with them.)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Riichi mahjong is just 4 player gin rummy

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I've played both and mahjongg is definitely more complicated. But it's also older so it's had more time to get houseruled/refined to hell and back

my favorite rules are the ones from times people got mad. like the one about "13 orphans can rob a closed kan". someone's rear end in a top hat uncle got fuckmad pissed his brother-in-law blocked his yakuman and made the whole family play so that wouldn't happen again, and the house rule spread

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
The recent conversation made me remember that I forgot to post an infographic I put together on combination and complex waits. So here it is; I hope it's a useful reference:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

nothing like seeing a player get shot in the face with a baiman to remind you to Never Deal In

it only took them down to -3600. if they hadn't also handed the winner an ura dora by calling kan and not given them ippatsu by throwing out a 4 they would have (barely) lived.

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 22, 2023

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

EightFlyingCars posted:

nothing like seeing a player get shot in the face with a baiman to remind you to Never Deal In

it only took them down to -3600. if they hadn't also handed the winner an ura dora by calling kan and not given them ippatsu by throwing out a 4 they would have (barely) lived.

Hmm.. It seems to me that you are saying that the player made a mistake by making a kan?

I'm sorry, but that is just unfathomable. Kanning is always correct, you just have to believe.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

A Kan always helps someone, but there is a high chance of that someone not being you.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i believe i kan fly
i believe i kan touch the suukantsu

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
What's the lowdown on when calling kan is correct, anyways? Situations that come to mind: you're in tenpai and you can guess the other players have folded, you're in riichi and you don't think the tile is safe to discard, you're in fourth in the last game and you need to go for the hail mary play.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

What's the lowdown on when calling kan is correct, anyways? Situations that come to mind: you're in tenpai and you can guess the other players have folded, you're in riichi and you don't think the tile is safe to discard, you're in fourth in the last game and you need to go for the hail mary play.

havent you heard? KANE? KAN ALWAYS, NO EXCEPTION!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

you should be considering who benefits from the kan declaration; usually that means any player with a closed hand since they get an extra uradora if they riichi.

something that I think goes unappreciated is how much kan declarations can affect the fu score of your hand; for example upgrading an open pon of simples upgrades 2 fu -> 8 fu which usually won't do anything, but a closed terminal/honor set goes from 8 fu -> 32 fu. That would turn a 2-40 hand (2600) to a 2-60 or 2-70 hand (3900 or 4500) which is a big upgrade in value

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Kan is the bane of the coward. Call it or die

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Never not kan, believe in the tiles

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean have you not seen Saki?? Rinshan kaihou!!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I love all my friends in the Mahjong thread in Traditional Games but I am suspicious that some of this advise may not be good.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

I always chant, "Chaos! Chaos!" when I make bad kan calls so it's fine.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Buschmaki posted:

Never not kan, believe in the tiles

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Hell, call Kan a max of 2 times and then fold just to try to gently caress someone who deals in over

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Schwarzwald posted:

when you're feeling SPICY

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

If you never Kan, you can never truly seize the flow of the game and turn it to your favor.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

Not emptyquote

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
A couple days ago, I had a game where I declared kan on a closed set of haku tiles, despite being only in iishanten. Next draw, the dealer on my right pulls a red five for tsumo, also revealing that the kan dora gave them an extra four han for haneman. I guess that's a point for kan = good, maybe?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i had a misinput and clicked a tile i never would have dealt and i got got for 16000 points. oof.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That always hurts so much.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Big Mackson posted:

i had a misinput and clicked a tile i never would have dealt and i got got for 16000 points. oof.

i once dealt into a kokushi this way

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

Sanma is the promised land of Mahjong idiots. I belong there. Notice how the only way win with this hand is to tsumo after kan/kita to get the yaku. I did just that.

I would like to give honorary mention to the player on my right for making a kan of dragons that gave me 4 extra hans. They fought with honor.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

i finally got it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Relyssa posted:

i finally got it

I'm 323 days, and 42 in a row, away.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

silvergoose posted:

I'm 323 days, and 42 in a row, away.

I broke the streak at 50ish once. It was rather painful.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Relyssa posted:

I broke the streak at 50ish once. It was rather painful.

yeah me too, I am very intent on getting to 100 this time, heh

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Are there any good single-player Mahjong games? I imagine on some retro console there must have been some kind of mahjong RPG where you roam the world playing mahjong against people and leveling up or something.

I just started playing Pocket Card Jockey on 3ds, which is just solitaire but dressed up with extra mechanics based on horse racing, and it's a super fun formula to take an already-established Good and Fun Game and add some extra story and progression features on top. I was hoping to find something similar for Mahjong.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My friend's been having fun with Yakuman!, the game boy mahjong game. The higher difficulties seem to cheat really hard though so FYI.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I'm not aware of any RPG-styled mahjong games, just ones that offer the basic gameplay. For singleplayer games I've turned to Kemono Mahjong (mobile and PC) and Japanese Mah-Jongg (Switch). The spelling on "mah-jongg" implies American Mahjong but it's a full-fledged riichi variant game. There's also Mahjong Club (PC). It's half very short visual novel and half riichi mahjong game. You can turn off the "powers" the characters have.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

giogadi posted:

Are there any good single-player Mahjong games? I imagine on some retro console there must have been some kind of mahjong RPG where you roam the world playing mahjong against people and leveling up or something.

I just started playing Pocket Card Jockey on 3ds, which is just solitaire but dressed up with extra mechanics based on horse racing, and it's a super fun formula to take an already-established Good and Fun Game and add some extra story and progression features on top. I was hoping to find something similar for Mahjong.

Kemono on mobile devices, depending on your tolerance for furries. It's just against AIs though, there's no real progression other than unlocking characters.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

giogadi posted:

You're basically describing Shandalar but for riichi instead of magic: the gathering.

I loving loved Shandalar and think it's a shame that style of game never really got repeated, much less catch on.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks for all these great recommendations!

Yeah I feel like there’s a lot more room for games like these: where you’re getting practice on a real competitive game that people play IRL, while in a cozy rpg environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

silvergoose posted:

You're basically describing Shandalar but for riichi instead of magic: the gathering.

holy poo poo that would rule