Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In tristrat the conceit is that you (or rather Serenoa) chooses what the vote is about but you don't vote yourself. They're not convincing you.

If you're really interested in what the game is like I feel you'll understand the game better by playing the demo or checking out a video or something than asking questions in the Engage thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'll buy it eventually. I've wanted it for a while. I just remember asking my initial question once in a much more relevant context and not getting an answer, so I'll thank the thread for indulging me, here.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also there's a PC version as an option.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Saw it posted earlier in a video, but oh hell yeah, just when I was getting bored with my 3rd run in Engage I see that Reverse mod.
https://gamebanana.com/mods/426933

This is gonna be fun

e: it can reverse your emblems as well :-O

e2: I'm gonna lose another 40 hours this way

Starting group by chapter 3 is Veyle, Mauvier, Goldmary, Rosado, Seadall, Saphir, and Lindon, nice

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 19, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

Super Robot Wars is the mascot franchise for cutscenes where characters will chime in solely to remind you that they, too, still exist.
Eh. You can argue that for OG games but for the crossover games just about everyone gets something to do, largely because it's combining the plots of a bunch of anime where they're relevant characters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Any tips for Chapter 17 or am I supposed to expect Mauvier to keep running in and crit exploding my units with Shine

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I actually just got done playing a little bit of SRW30 and I hope I can see Lelouch soon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Any tips for Chapter 17 or am I supposed to expect Mauvier to keep running in and crit exploding my units with Shine

corrin ice blocks can help a lot in separating the bosses so you can deal with them one at a time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also apparently the bosses that start in the northwest aggro when you engage a specific one of the corrupted wyrms (not sure which one). That feels like it explains the huge disparity in difficulty depending on the route through the map you take.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

cheetah7071 posted:

Also apparently the bosses that start in the northwest aggro when you engage a specific one of the corrupted wyrms (not sure which one). That feels like it explains the huge disparity in difficulty depending on the route through the map you take.

Yeah, as soon as you attack the lower left Corrupted wyrm every boss left will aggro for some reason. This happened to me on maddening and I only survived by making Veyle dance back and forth with flame blocking while I dismantled hyacinth and Zephia.
On hard Zephia just kept chilling at the top.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So Marnie is bait?? Oh man

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my path through the level had me go for Marni first and I still ended up having the other bosses move at reasonable times to have a fairly smooth progression. I have no idea how natural a path that is cause I wasn't keeping an eye on the trigger I didn't know existed, but it's definitely possible to do Marni first without getting swarmed

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think attacking Marni aggros Mauvier but not the rest of the bosses, so if you can take her down quickly enough (and without also aggroing the leftmost wyrm) you can get Mauvier to come to you without having to worry about anyone else except his paladin pals, which makes him quite manageable.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Attacking Marni also activates Griss, but attacking Griss doesn't activate Marni. Zephia, Hyacinth and Veyle are moving all together no matter what, though Zephia's relatively easy to isolate and kill quickly.

(Note that I haven't done it on Maddening yet, so it's possible the AI is different there.)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Played on Hard and Zephia didn't aggro when the rest of the army did through the wyrm. So she just stayed up in her corner while I got really lucky and managed to kill everyone else.

Which is good because imo she's the scariest.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Zephia can definitely be aggroed separately on all difficulties.

My path through the level was to send a tiny squad after Griss, and the bulk of my army after Marni. Mauvier aggroed with Marni. Zephia aggroed by herself when I entered her range. The other three started moving the same turn I killed Zephia, though I dunno what exactly triggered them. Probably the wyrm.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The stage seems to have a whole bunch of weird linked aggro scripts which explains why some people found it absolutely brutal and some people didn't really see it as a difficulty spike at all, I think

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Huh, I'd assumed the left side bosses other than Zephia were just all linked. Good to know for whenever I get around to trying Maddening, I guess. Also oddly disappointing to know it's weird scripting tied to a wyrm, though, everything charging at once seemingly when Marni was attacked was a hell of an oh poo poo moment the first time and was fun to plan around once I knew to expect it.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Besides the leftmost wyrm, aggroing the three paladins in the middle (and probably any of Veyle's minions at the top) also causes Veyle and co. to move as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Scary map imo.

Very memorable and cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Halberdier is a better class than I first thought. Solid defenses, especially on someone who has naturally good defense (like Louis or Goldmary), while also letting someone who's really strong and tanky guarantee doubles on player phase and just explode things with 4x Brave Lance hits. Give your Halberdier Hector and you have someone with Great Knight-level defenses who now also hits even harder with that Brave Lance.

I don't know if I'd say it's one of the best classes or anything but it's definitely the best of the single-weapon classes and I think it has a ton of potential.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I took out Griss first and pushed through the middle of the map by blowing out the flames. Dunno what specific trigger I hit but I aggroed everyone except Zephia at the same time.

It was absolutely brutal and it ruled.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 19, 2023

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Halberdier is a better class than I first thought. Solid defenses, especially on someone who has naturally good defense (like Louis or Goldmary), while also letting someone who's really strong and tanky guarantee doubles on player phase and just explode things with 4x Brave Lance hits. Give your Halberdier Hector and you have someone with Great Knight-level defenses who now also hits even harder with that Brave Lance.

I don't know if I'd say it's one of the best classes or anything but it's definitely the best of the single-weapon classes and I think it has a ton of potential.

Idk Pincer Attack definitely sounds like one of the absolute best skills in the game. Can it work with at 2 range?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quick update on my Reclass Everyone run: some combination of the mods I've installed appears to have broken my Anna. I leveled her to Axe Fighter 10 then promoted her to High Priest and she promptly stopped gaining EXP at the rate she should. She gets like 8 EXP for killing an enemy that Alear, who has a much higher level, gets like 20 EXP for.

I can't seem to figure out how to fix her so sadly that means she's going to have to be benched due to somehow turning into an underpowered EXP void :negative:

I'm trying to figure out if I want to compensate for this by allowing myself to keep an extra tome unit or not. My initial rule was that every single unit needed to lose access to their initial weapon type in their reclassing, which unfortunately doesn't leave you a ton of people who make great Sages or High Priests--most of the units who are really good at that kind of thing start out with tomes. Aside from Anna I have Sage Chloé and Mage Knight Jean but I think I'd like one more tome user. The best candidates I have are either in classes that I really enjoy using them as and don't want to change (Thief Framme) or started with tomes and so if they keep them they're breaking the rules (Citrinne, Ivy, Pandreo).

I mean they're fully self-imposed rules so I can break them if I want but still :argh:

ROFL Octopus posted:

Idk Pincer Attack definitely sounds like one of the absolute best skills in the game. Can it work with at 2 range?

I'm not sure! My guess is probably no, I bet your units need to be directly flanking the target, but I'll test it out.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Pincer Attack with a Brave Lance with the Ike Engrave (and Hector) is really funny

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 20, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was planning to use Goldmary as a Great Knight in my Maddening run but I think I might go Halberdier with Hector instead. I might go Great Knight if I wasn't using DLC, but with Hector, Halberdier Goldmary has almost as much Def as she would as a GK while having much better offense thanks to Pincer Attack and being backup type.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Alfred is so bad, he is slow, bad build, his custom class doesnt even give s rank lances??

I reclassed him to paladin, which is a bad class, but still much better than that poo poo.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The most no-brainer reclassing is Pandreo to Sage. The S rank staff might as well not even exist since it’s single use and you get it by maximizing your investment into Elusia.

Sage has a bit better bases in Mag and Spd and the S rank in Tomes significantly bolsters his offense, since otherwise he’s capped out at B rank. Pandreo’s innate Staff rank means he still can use up to A. The only problem is he has to walk around looking like a gigolo but I have faith that will be patched at some point.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tae posted:

Alfred is so bad, he is slow, bad build, his custom class doesnt even give s rank lances??

I reclassed him to paladin, which is a bad class, but still much better than that poo poo.

... alfred has pretty good build tho?

Man's not super fast or anything, but his build isn't the problem, no more than basically anyone else who isn't named Boucheron.

Also paladin is worse for build, and loses out on Avenir's fairly gigantic defense.

All in all Avenir is probably more analogous to Great Knight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Panette rules as a Wolf Knight because it makes her "were you raised by wolves?" victory quote hilarious

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Avenir is great, and Alfred's defense is kind of crazy before Golden Lotus. He's about as reliable of a front-liner as this game has.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I mean, he's not Louis, or Goldmary in Halberdier as she should be (:argh:), but he's got better defense than most of the game, anyway.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Goldmary's hard to reclass because her Speed and Strength are both in the "pretty good but not great" range and increasing one tends to push the other more towards "average." Putting her in Halberdier and giving her Ike (or Hector, with DLC) is probably fine if you want to reclass her, but even from a position of maximizing her damage and her defenses, she might be best off just staying in Hero.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
She's hard to reclass because she has her outfit designed for Hero and if she switches to anything else she looks dumb.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Still slowly working through my first playthrough (Hard) and trying to figure out how to do the paralouges without overlevelling my team more than they already are.
Is there any NG+ shenanigans you can do? I kind of want to play on maddening, but retain the ability to gently caress around and not always pick the Best Strategy. I'm already craving the equivalent of a 3H ng+ maddening run, basically.

Also it seems like a no-brainer to grab Dual Assist on any backup unit that can afford it, correct?

Edit: Actually based on thread discussion the answer to my first question is to get the DLC and use those tools, isn't it? If it is, I can live with that.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 19, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Clarste posted:

She's hard to reclass because she has her outfit designed for Hero and if she switches to anything else she looks dumb.

Goldmary should be your Hero because she is the only character who can escape the Default Hero Outfit, yeah. It's... Something.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Goldmary looks excellent as a great knight, in large part due to great knight having a very good basic design in this game. Full Armor :smuggo:

Statistically you're basically giving up on her speed, but her speed is already middling at best, and putting her 55% personal def growth into a class that also has an insane def growth and an insane def base catapults her from "can take a hit" to "wall of steel". She won't hit the "take 0 damage so no one pays attention to you" threshold on maddening, but she's so tough that even some silver weapon enemies will do single digits.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 19, 2023

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Brb restarting my save file so I can name Alear John Fire Emblem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

ROFL Octopus posted:

The most no-brainer reclassing is Pandreo to Sage. The S rank staff might as well not even exist since it’s single use and you get it by maximizing your investment into Elusia.

Sage has a bit better bases in Mag and Spd and the S rank in Tomes significantly bolsters his offense, since otherwise he’s capped out at B rank. Pandreo’s innate Staff rank means he still can use up to A. The only problem is he has to walk around looking like a gigolo but I have faith that will be patched at some point.
lol i just did this. Second worst fit in my army after hero Kagetsu