Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
zombies have things they actually want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Such as BRAIIIIIIIINS.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
BONUS BRUTAL ULTRAVIOLENCE TAXXE

:nms: :nms:

I warned you, you sicko.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Payndz posted:

"Small boats!" has the echo of the racist populist Australian STOP THE BOTES campaign of a few years back, which since the Tories are using the same PR campaigners is no surprise.

Uh

They went for it verbatim

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Putting our priorities above your priorities.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Microplastics posted:

Uh

1. possibly but can’t get any worse really and not in their control either
2. failed
3. failed
4. failed
5. depending on how the right wing rags feel that day , the actual numbers don’t matter

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Stop the boats is an amazing right-wing scheme because the boats have literally no impact on anyone all mad about them so they're only aware of them when you want it. You can just stop talking about them whenever you want and they've gone! You can even claim you stopped them when you haven't because you talking about them is literally the only thing that makes them real to people so they're effectively imaginary and you can just make up whatever poo poo you like. Only they ARE technically real so nobody can just say you made them up wholesale. It's perfect.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sebzilla posted:

Four years too late you loving prat.

Actually, can anyone find that account of Starmer refusing every offer he was given on Brexit including ones which were exactly what he'd asked for? Think it might have come from the Starmer Project book but Tarnop has my copy, can't find the relevant passage on the internet.

e: found it (sort of)

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1523348687375589377?t=RqMsNSjt011jbaMDuqdoPA&s=19

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 19, 2023

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
How many do you reckon you could eat before you got sick? I haven't had one for at least a decade but this story made me want one. It's probably way fewer than you think.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/sharrond62/status/1626628258245537794

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jippa posted:

How many do you reckon you could eat before you got sick? I haven't had one for at least a decade but this story made me want one. It's probably way fewer than you think.

I could manage at least a half dozen.

Up my backside.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

MBE is just a standards stamp for 'Muppet Brain Extracted' - they don't show the part where the queen/king does the lobotomy with the sword.

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1626865124257550336
lol "the kool aid tastes a bit bitter, I want out.. sorry I mean in"

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 19, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I checked and most of her career she only travelled 400m, so a bit hypocritical to be getting worked up now really

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Yvette taking a toot on the crackdown pipe

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Diet Crack posted:

MBE is just a standards stamp for 'Muppet Brain Extracted' - they don't show the part where the queen/king does the lobotomy with the sword.

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1626865124257550336
lol "the kool aid tastes a bit bitter, I want out.. sorry I mean in"

The guy at the back looks like he's trying to figure out which decade this is and if Thatcher's still around.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Thunderball came out in 1965.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

smellmycheese posted:

Yvette taking a toot on the crackdown pipe

Vandalising a poppy: 2 Respect Orders

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Z the IVth posted:

The guy at the back looks like he's trying to figure out which decade this is and if Thatcher's still around.

Crayon in his mouth, "this isn't my lunch!"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Microplastics posted:

not wearing a poppy : 3 respect orders

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Microplastics posted:

The future is Keith’s brogue stamping on a human face while he screeches “respect me”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
In the future, everyone will be famous allowed to walk for 15 minutes. Every Respect Order deducts 1 minute from your Mobility Radius

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Crayon in his mouth, "this isn't my lunch!"

Pretty far gone if he's regressed to Crayon Shin-Chan.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jippa posted:

Apparently they are great to melt into coffee.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
If I were to hypothetically stand in the next election as a no hope independent would that mean I’d get to talk to all the other candidates in my area on a big stage. I’d enjoy that just to absolutely loving ruin the Labour and Tory candidates days.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jakabite posted:

If I were to hypothetically stand in the next election as a no hope independent would that mean I’d get to talk to all the other candidates in my area on a big stage. I’d enjoy that just to absolutely loving ruin the Labour and Tory candidates days.

You'd have to be invited to any local hustings. Which depends on whether anyone in your area can be arsed to set a hustings up, and whether the main parties agree to participate along with a bunch of no hope independents

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

1. So tax the rich, everyone else is tapped out on essentials and they're the only ones with any money so they're the only ones driving demand - plus you should do this anyway, having too much money is immoral, remember, so it'll be good for their souls, they will thank you for it
2. Use the money from 1 to flood the country with infrastructure: health, housing, education, broadband, transport... all of which cReAtEs JoBs!
3. Not really a huge issue, but if you must, pay it down with some of 1 and the tax money returned from 2 when it's flowing
4. Taken care of in 2, systemic issues require systemic solutions
5. Stop talking about the loving boats, and poof! Problem solved

Pretty simple poo poo really, Richie. Why can't you do it?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Imagine being so loving inept that you have to call in the orchestrators of the most heinous asylum program from 20 years ago to come and do your job for you.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Who would have through that Terfs only exposing themselves to right wing news/personalities would end up parroting right wing conspiracy theories?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Apparently they are great to melt into coffee.

This idea is so revoltingly deviant I expect Kieth to announce a crackdown on it

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Consider myself absolutely and utterly mortified over Sharron Davies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jakabite posted:

You'd also have to pay £500 - they've been upping the fees to squeeze out the joke candidates (by which they mean the Greens and Lib Dems) - and have ten people who live in the constituency willing to support your nomination.

Alternatively, if you have the spare cash, a few mates and a warped sense of humour you can nominate someone else as a candidate. It's the ideal gift for that wanker who is always saying what he'd do if he ran the country: the chance to find out that 60,000 people also think he's a wanker.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Microplastics posted:

Uh

BOATS

can't barque there mate :britain:

BOATS BOATS BOATS

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Don't the boats stop themselves when they reach the shore

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Don't the boats stop themselves when they reach the shore

You can't stop the boats, they will come to take your jobs and soon all your neighbours are boats

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nenonen posted:

You can't stop the boats, they will come to take your jobs and soon all your neighbours are boats

The McBoatfaces next door are hard workers and we consider them part of our community

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bournemouth the anus of the UK: confirmed?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Has anyone tried putting a crème egg up Bournemouth ?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

So this is a pretty wild conspiracy theory. There's a street in Sheffield that got pedestrianised but they didn't remove the bus shelters, we call them the busk shelters now cos there's always a good busker in one of them. But the other has been turned into a preaching pulpit for this group complaining about the 15 minute city and they're CONVINCED that it means you'll get fined for going outside a radius. Rather than, you know, "we should design cities so that they can get everything they need within a reasonable distance, with sustainable transport infrastructure instead of ceding more and more space to the car". Sheffield has a decent bus service and a tram network, it's a few bike-parking places away from being really nice, but I mean it's Sheffield, gently caress biking up those hills.

But yeah, they're always there, they've done the anti-mask thing, that's died down a bit now, but their other thing is railing against contactless payments. Obviously, everywhere went contactless during covid, but they seem to think this is a removal of people's freedom to spend cash. I guess because cash is (in their minds) not trackable? It's all "they want to watch where you spend your money" and OK, you can spin that argument into something coherent about capitalism but it's just this railing against a nebulous "THEY" or should that be (((they))).

I'm not strictly having a go, I get that people feel alienated and disempowered and that has to go somewhere, but it's wild how the QAnon tendency seems to spin out in this country into trivially debunkable poo poo. That it's spilling over into the celebrity TERF contingent is unsurprising, but still. Very odd and a bit sad.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The “I don’t get my news from the biased MSM , I get it from insane Facebook pages full of conspiracist drivel” mindset is becoming ever more prevalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Isomermaid posted:

So this is a pretty wild conspiracy theory. There's a street in Sheffield that got pedestrianised but they didn't remove the bus shelters, we call them the busk shelters now cos there's always a good busker in one of them. But the other has been turned into a preaching pulpit for this group complaining about the 15 minute city and they're CONVINCED that it means you'll get fined for going outside a radius. Rather than, you know, "we should design cities so that they can get everything they need within a reasonable distance, with sustainable transport infrastructure instead of ceding more and more space to the car". Sheffield has a decent bus service and a tram network, it's a few bike-parking places away from being really nice, but I mean it's Sheffield, gently caress biking up those hills.

But yeah, they're always there, they've done the anti-mask thing, that's died down a bit now, but their other thing is railing against contactless payments. Obviously, everywhere went contactless during covid, but they seem to think this is a removal of people's freedom to spend cash. I guess because cash is (in their minds) not trackable? It's all "they want to watch where you spend your money" and OK, you can spin that argument into something coherent about capitalism but it's just this railing against a nebulous "THEY" or should that be (((they))).

I'm not strictly having a go, I get that people feel alienated and disempowered and that has to go somewhere, but it's wild how the QAnon tendency seems to spin out in this country into trivially debunkable poo poo. That it's spilling over into the celebrity TERF contingent is unsurprising, but still. Very odd and a bit sad.

As I said last time this came up ITT, this isn't even the usual "right wing nutters being scared of something that doesn't exist" - they're scared of something that already exists in numerous places in the UK. Despite the best efforts of austerity, car-brained people and corrupt planning departments there are loads of neighbourhoods that meet the basic criteria for a '15-minute city', and plenty of towns and actual metropolitan cities that either do or are very close. Plus, not so long ago the general thrust of British conservatism would have been all-for a return to the days of parades of local shops owned by stalwart John Bull-type small business owners and families on your local high street. Now, thanks to the internet, it's imported a load of crankery from America, with its Level 10 Car Brain where you absolutely must have the unimpeded, god-given right to drive whenever, wherever and for whatever reason you want and where any notion of public transport or allowing people to move about without a car comes with sinister tones of being forced to mix with the wrong sort of people.

It also isn't helped by the scheme in Oxford, which is implementing both Low Traffic Neighbourhoods and some sort of 15-minute City scheme together: Closing the rat-runs and restricting inter-district traffic to the trunk routes comes with the barriers, no-car streets, camera enforcement and charges/fines. That's the LTN stuff, and Oxford seems to be doing the 15MC idea a bit of disservice (and providing fertiliser to the nutters) by not only rolling out both at the same time but lumping them together name-wise. It makes it easy for the "You'll be trapped in an open-air prison by cameras and won't be allowed to travel more than 15 minutes from your home!!!!!!!!" narrative to take root when the LTN restrictions are put in place before the 15MC has actually been created.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 19, 2023