Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Albino Squirrel posted:

I am irrationally angry that there's no new achievements with the leader pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

New leader abilities: +1 food on flood plains. Exciting!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Eh I think it's a good step up from the base game Cleo. The extra food/culture is fine if a bit uninteresting but the extra 2 adjacent appeal from floodplains sounds fun. Appeal is an underused mechanic imo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm still waiting for the new content to get released on linux, the leader pass thing has been a total shitshow. Around its release they actually rolled back content and I was unable to play a bunch of old leaders.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I was talking with a friend and yeah, the appeal bonus sounds stronger than I assume if you factor in Preserves + floodplain resource gains + Egypt's immunity to flood damage, the first of which I admittedly have not used at all but I was told are pretty legit if you build for them.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
preserves can be really insane if you get good at noticing how the appeal on tiles can end up being later in the game once you can do things like plant woods/once jungle is cleared

(generally just near mountains or coasts and away from mines and stuff like that)

especially with some civs they are just insanely OP like brazil or inca

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Welcome to ancient Egypt, 47. Your target is Ramses I, current ruler of the Kingdom. Our emplyoyer has made it paramount that you kill him openly while impersonating his son, Ramses II.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Building your culture districts last and buying all your works of writing is an interesting twist on the culture victory playbook, though the return on investment is probably lower than it looks. +4 gold per book helps defray the cost of buying all those books, but Mali's production is 33% lower for units and buildings and +8 production per city is decent but not incredible. Then again, the extra writing slots are nice. That's another +8 base tourism per city, which is at least notable.

Yeah, I like Sundiata Keita. Less trade route management compared to Mansa Musa too.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
No surprise, but Civ 7 is coming:

https://www.gamesradar.com/civilization-7-is-in-development-at-firaxis/

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Way back in the day TotalBiscuit was right when he said Civ games aren't complete until a few major expansions come out. If Civ 7 is announced for somewhere in 2023, it just means we'll actually have a proper new game in like, 2025-2026.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Frush posted:

Way back in the day TotalBiscuit was right when he said Civ games aren't complete until a few major expansions come out. If Civ 7 is announced for somewhere in 2023, it just means we'll actually have a proper new game in like, 2025-2026.

Were vassal states in vanilla Civ IV? I don't recall. Whenever vassal states and colonial independence were put in was when Civ IV was completed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Frush posted:

At the same time I seem to have the most fun when they are brand new and broken. Peak Civ 6 for me was when you could send out workers to aggressively harvest forests in ally and rival territory.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

VI got worse with every expansion. Governors added more busy work, ages added more timers that diverted from the actual long term goal of the game, disasters added more randomness, and rock bands were one of the most inelegant things I've seen in a game. None of this was fun.

I'm fine with VII being less feature complete at launch as long as it means they don't have to scrape the bottom of the idea barrell for new features to include in expansions.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 19, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Human Crouton posted:

VI got worse with every expansion. Governors added more busy work, ages added more timers that diverted from the actual long term goal of the game, disasters added more randomness, and rock bands were one of the most inelegant things I've seen in a game. None of this was fun.

I'm fine with VII being less feature complete at launch as long as it means they don't have to scrape the bottom of the idea barrell for new features to include in expansions.

Go play Vanilla and tell me how great it is to have an industrial district never pay for itself in cogs. Also, the power/fuel system was cool imo.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Serephina posted:

Go play Vanilla and tell me how great it is to have an industrial district never pay for itself in cogs. Also, the power/fuel system was cool imo.

I give examples of design issues and you counter by pointing out a balance issue. Are you under the impression that they could not have fixed your cog issue without releasing expansions?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Judgy Fucker posted:

Were vassal states in vanilla Civ IV? I don't recall. Whenever vassal states and colonial independence were put in was when Civ IV was completed.

No, they didn’t come in until the second expansion, Beyond The Sword, which was the one that turned general thought on the game from “eh I guess this is okay” to “wow this is great”

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Civ IV expansions were great. It was even fun to be a vassal, and subtly try to manipulate your way out from under your sovereign's control.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I give examples of design issues and you counter by pointing out a balance issue. Are you under the impression that they could not have fixed your cog issue without releasing expansions?

Absolutely yes: As much as I don't like it, modern games industry seems to only puts so much time into polishing post-release products, and 2k/Firaxis are no exceptions. Game-stopping bug fixes go on for a long time, but new leaders, new balance patches (post the first few months of release) etc are all paid products.

Please note that the Industrial District changes where not backported to Vanilla, that's how explicit the 'pay me for a better game' thing is. I'm not talking about using a time machine, I'm saying to boot up Vanilla right now and play a round. So to answer your direct question: the cog situation was NOT changed without expansions, and I doubt it would ever have been so in a parallel universe where xpacks where never made.

The game has gotten better with expansions, both with polish and better leaders/balance things, even if the big-ticket xpack features are divisive.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Serephina posted:

Absolutely yes: As much as I don't like it, modern games industry seems to only puts so much time into polishing post-release products, and 2k/Firaxis are no exceptions. Game-stopping bug fixes go on for a long time, but new leaders, new balance patches (post the first few months of release) etc are all paid products.

Please note that the Industrial District changes where not backported to Vanilla, that's how explicit the 'pay me for a better game' thing is. I'm not talking about using a time machine, I'm saying to boot up Vanilla right now and play a round. So to answer your direct question: the cog situation was NOT canged without expansions, and I doubt it would ever have been so in a parallel universe where xpacks where never made.

The game has gotten better with expansions, both with polish and better leaders/balance things, even if the big-ticket xpack features are divisive.

I get your point. If you want to take my initial point fully into the realm of business then you are correct. I was only half-dabbling in the business realm by recognizing the need for expansions(and therefore the need to make money) while trying to concentrate mainly on game design as agnostic as possible to the money factor. As a small piece of the market force, I'm becoming less likely to buy if they continue along their current path because VI got to the point where the expansions were not enjoyable even if they fixed previous bugs.

But to the other half of what I was saying. VI is a terrible game. It was barely acceptable but had potential in Vanilla, slightly worse in R&F, and an absolute mess after GS. So even if I were to go back and play Vanilla, I've still got no good things to say about it. It's just one day old garbage instead of 14 days old garbage. And if I were forced to play any version of VI, I'd play Vanilla and deal with the production issue over any other version of the game.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I really enjoy the governors, ages, and disasters mechanics. Going back and playing older entries in the series just feels flat and monotonous without them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hopefully they take the most interesting gameplay introduced by those expansions and work them from the ground up into the next game.

What I really want is an AI that can strike a nice balance between "complete pushover where you might as well pick a victory screen and save yourself XXX turns of inevitable victory clicking" and "play hyper war aggressively from the getgo, be lucky, be the best, and clench your butt cheeks because the AI cheats like crazy"

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'll be curious to see what they keep from 6. I'm betting on districts and housing and maybe barbarian clans mode, at least. I'm also wondering if they take any ideas from their biggest competitors. What can they harvest from Stellaris, for example? Could they learn anything from Amplitude even though Humankind didn't seem to make an impact?

Initial civs will include Rome, Egypt, China, Monty, Gandhi, a bunch of white people, and a couple really interestingly designed indigenous nations (at least one of which specifically asked not to be in the game).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
What I hope they'll take from Humankind is Jack loving poo poo. That game sucks, and it's funny how it was positioned as a civ killer when the only thing it killed was Amplitude's streak for creating interesting, if not balanced, 4x games.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

toasterwarrior posted:

What I hope they'll take from Humankind is Jack loving poo poo. That game sucks, and it's funny how it was positioned as a civ killer when the only thing it killed was Amplitude's streak for creating interesting, if not balanced, 4x games.

Can't disagree with any of that!

I'd imagine Civ7 keeps the districts as imo they're a resounding success, tries yet again way to make 1UPT work, and maybe hopefully keeps the loyalty system as it was pretty low-key and mostly exists to stop the grognardy stuff and annoying AIs. Maybe even the power plant stuff? As it doubled down on the district preplanning game.

Natural disasters and all the little bits&bobs like corporations can get lost, they weren't really fun and/or the AI couldn't use them right.

edit: Oh and I hope they pull loving nothing from Stellaris, what a pile of unpolished trash. Not-a-single-thing in there would be good in a Civ game.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 19, 2023

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i liked humankind well enough outside it felt more like a puzzle to solve than anything else. every game played out about the same

i like the weird goofy poo poo like secret society's and heros. hope they keep something similar as options

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I only have three real complaints with Civ 6: 1) the religious war needs to go, managing all those missionaries and apostles and poo poo is extremely tedious and boring; 2) they never should've gotten rid of puppeting conquered cities, which was the same mistake AoW Planetfall made. I went for a conquest victory once in Civ 6 and my brain got numbed so bad by all the new construction prompts from conquered cities that I just razed them en masse if I had enough of a tech lead to piss off the entire world. Just pay me and take care of your own poo poo, drat.

And lastly, just make district projects requeue themselves or be infinite in duration, stop prompting me for new construction every time they finish. We also already had that in previous games.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 19, 2023

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah it would be nice if the Religious Victory was removed, just use the Passive Religion mode from the Advanced Options mod and keep everything else, it would become a system to distribute bonuses (and could still be used to get mood and AI behaviour modifiers!)

also the repeating projects thing is doable, one of the current UI mods has it

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Religious victory is a good indicator of how little they thought about 6's design. Both 5 and 6 had the mechanic that would give any city following the religion that particular bonus. In 5 that's fine. You might even want to help a particular religion spread into your cites to gain that bonus. However, 6 shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the mechanic because it still includes the follower beliefs, but they are meaningless because you don't want any foreign religion to spread since the trade-off for getting one extra hammer if you have three or more citizens is that YOU LOSE THE GAME.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I'd just like to see a functional non glitchy multiplayer and a decent AI. I am sure there will be gameplay features that I will love and some I will dislike - but those 2 can really make or break a game for me.

I am really interested in how they will tackle AI with the current explosion of interest in everything AI related and the rapid development that has been happening with converational AI. I realize it is very different from state machines or whatever patterns they traditionally use in this kind of games but I am kind of hoping that maybe.. just MAYBE the current high profile of everything "AI" will encourage Firaxis to put some money into developing semi decent computer opponents as well.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Judgy Fucker posted:

Who the hell plays Civ IV with vassal states on? Colonial maintenance is garbage.

I've only played Civ4 with BTS but Civ5 wasn't much improved by BNW, and the best part of the Civ6 expansions (aqueducts and dams giving major adjacency to commercial zones) could easily have been modded. Gods an Kings was a huge improvement to vanilla Civ5, though. I don't think there's really much of a pattern at all with Civ expansion quality.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I'm gonna say the one thing I absolutely don't want to see come back is the loyalty mechanic. Yes, it's annoying to have someone forward settle you, but it's even more annoying that you can't claim land because someone else is nearby, and if you're playing on a higher difficulty where the AI starts with multiple settlers it can be very easy to get locked out of decent land depending on the map type. I feel like border disputes should happen at the border, not some magical, arbitrary number of tiles away.

Also, the way the borders expand shouldn't be random. I've seen the tile picker flip between different tiles on a turn-by-turn basis, and that makes it difficult to plan ahead.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah it would be nice if the Religious Victory was removed, just use the Passive Religion mode from the Advanced Options mod and keep everything else, it would become a system to distribute bonuses (and could still be used to get mood and AI behaviour modifiers!)

drat, you got a link? I deffo want to use this next run

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I agree with this. I may have close to 1000 hours on Civ 6 but I still think that after the renaissance, the game turns into a cookie clicker. Just busy work non-stop, at every turn there's some kind of banality to click on.

Civ 4 is great but is missing some QOL items that Civ 5 + 6 introduced, making it feel slightly dated. Civ 5 had just the right amount of clicking around. Also, I enjoy 1UPT.

I hope Civ 7 gives it a bit more of a simulation feel and improves diplomacy and politics, and adds a good revolution/colony mechanic.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

toasterwarrior posted:

drat, you got a link? I deffo want to use this next run

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2492747881

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Death to 1UPT.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Stellaris Galactic Council or whatever it's called is way better than the UN analogues in Civ 6 or Humankind so I hope Civ 7 learns from that

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nah, it got better at every expansion. But it never got great, that’s the problem with Civ 6 for me. A decent civ game with some great ideas, but flawed, unbalanced and kinda broken

Governors are a great idea, but the implementation wanst so great (very unbalanced and its kinda dumb every civ shares the same, I hope each civ gets their own in 7, if they keep them)

Also what they did with the world congress is really really stupid. It was much better in 5 even if it wanst great either

Ages are good and interesting but effects are kinda weak and is wrong that normal era is actually worst than dark

Disasters are fun and add some variety. Never card for the extreme disasters thing the DLC added, though

Rock bands I agree are a bad idea. But them again, the whole tourism system is dumb and bad and needs to be scrapped or completely redone

edit: the religious victory is awful too indeed l but I always played with that turn off, I even forgot it

edit 2: forgot about religious warring: yeah that was a really bad idea and I hope they drop it

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 19, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I think the expansions were both very positive. I hope they keep natural disasters at least - anything that changes the map through the years is very additive, imo.

The one thing I would make them steal for Civ VII but know they never will is the orders system from Old World. I’d actually like them to steal quite a bit of stuff from Old World, but orders are the fundamental change that I think makes the game so much better to me now.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Districts were great, and I don't want to go back to every wonder being in one city. Governors were ok and should have been better; I'd love to see them have another go at them. Heroes and secret societies as toggles for gameplay were wonderful, especially since they became the basis for "religious" conflict like Civ 4. Policy cards were quite good, but I wish there were one obviously great choice less often. Rock bands, religious conflict, economic warfare, world council, and tourism can join Elvis and "build parts of your palace from these three styles of architecture."

Every civ should do something weird (Rome's roads in VI, or Austria in V). It's even ok if they get a + to something if it's situational and quite large in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
for the love of god pick a new tile shape, maybe something that doesn't repeat endlessly in the exact same brainless pattern. it's 2023 computers can handle more shapes than square and hexagon