Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I really enjoyed it. After Spiderman this is the best MCU movie since endgame for me. Loved Modok, the scifi aspect of it was great, a better star wars than star wars.

Sorry if you hated it but my family and I really enjoyed it.

It’s not my favorite MCU movie but I still had a ton of fun with it, the quantum realm was rad as hell, and I agree that it’s a better Star Wars movie than a bunch of actual Star Wars movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

GateOfD posted:

The movie sucked and had no fun the other movies had or any fun big/little moments.
A huge cast and no real conflicts or character developments
In recent memory every time I watch a non-Marvel movie after a Marvel movie, such as Glass Onion, I'm like "gently caress, this guy knows how to make a movie!"

Why don't they just make a good movie instead of one of these punching movies, that's my question?

What if there was a "The Volume" but for scripts. a technology that allowed one to write a compelling script using, perhaps, state of the art OLED screens. We could only imagine!

Everyone posted:

I can't wait for some internet twit to bitch about how the MCU "stole" that from the Council of Ricks.
The guy who wrote this movie and who (unfortunately?) is gonna write Avengers: The Kang Dynasty is a former Rick and Morty writer so I think there's more truth to that than not

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
We saw this last night. I concur with the consensus that this is a pretty rad and fun but also uneven movie, like long stretches of it were just boring to me but once Kang gets involved it goes up a gear and I loved the final act. All the Quantum Realm stuff was fun, but it did feel like a recreation of a bunch of stuff from Dr Strange, GOTG and Thor Ragnarok by someone who isn't as good as the people behind those films.

My biggest negative from the film was Kathryn Newton. My GOD, she was so, so bad in this movie. Just an awful performance, a vortex of energy and charisma that dragged whoever was on screen down with her. It was already bizarre that they recast the role after the actor in Endgame was just fine and probably would have done a good job, but why cast someone who's so bad?

I do think that the film is strongest when it's injecting the Rudd-ian humour and letting a pretty funny cast be funny. I loved MODOK's death scene and all the "you were a brother to me" stuff and stroking Scott's face with his hosed-up hand. The Baskin-Robbins Scott in the multiverse machine ruled, as did the sound design in that entire scene. Rudd is great in everything and crushes this, he was clearly having a blast with the more intense scenes. I liked Bill Murray's cameo.

I also loved how involved Hank and Janet Pym were in the story. I was feeling disappointed that the film dropped its roots after about 10 minutes and became yet another plucky little hero guy is dragged into an existential crisis and saves the day with his good vibes MCU story, then they did a sort-of heist and Hank Pym saved the day with his mecha-ants which was loving awesome. The final fistfight between Kang and Scott was great and I wish it went on for longer.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
I am entirely convinced that Kang wasn't that bad. (At least compared to all the other multiverse versions of himself)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Adrianics posted:

The Baskin-Robbins Scott in the multiverse machine ruled

Best part of this was as he runs off another Scott shouting if he's got ice cream

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The movie was extremely 'marvel cinematic rollercoaster' and the moment I realised it wasn't going to try to be anything other than that was when Hank and Hope kept trying to get Janet to stop for 30 seconds to explain the plot and she kept saying THERE'S NO TIME FOR THAT KEEP MOVING despite the fact that there clearly was lots of time for that.

Very meta.

The fact that it was filmed right at in the middle of COVID explains why everyone in the film is split into 2-3 person groups who almost never cross over and everyone is clearly on a stage standing a respectful 3 yard minimum away from everyone else.

e: I have no idea what the character arc of anyone in the film is supposed to be. Scott was always a hero, he just didn't have heroing to do. Cassie kinda learns that being a real hero means accepting actual peril, but the good guys don't actually sacrifice anything so the lesson falls flat. I felt disappointed with the fake out in the finale that suggested they were actually going to do something brave and have Scott die or be trapped in the Quantum Realm. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that was the ending until Disney made them change it.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 19, 2023

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I don’t really care either way about this movie but lol at the tons of posts itt that are all “it was fun!” followed by talking about how miserable of a watch it was

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
This movie was both poo poo and a lot of fun. Like one of those 90s shaggy dog romps like Ice Pirates.

MCU has absolutely no idea what to do with Kang though. I thought the scene where he finally entered the fight was excellent. Just straight up murking people out of the timeline. But he stopped that as soon as the ant family showed up. Like did he turn down his blasters from time murder to "a bit of a toss".

Also they absolutely should not have Majors do a dozen silly accents because every started laughing at the council of Kangs scene. It was so so silly especially with the costumes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

I don’t really care either way about this movie but lol at the tons of posts itt that are all “it was fun!” followed by talking about how miserable of a watch it was
it was fun, but also had miserable parts

a little of column a, a little of column b

also I think modok should have survived and ruined his own attempted dramatic death scene. at this point though I don't know if that would have been more predictable than him getting killed off for being a hideous bad cgi freak

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Alchenar posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that was the ending until Disney made them change it.

Tbf I thought exactly the same. The post-QR scene was so tense that I thought we were headed for a fake out, like Scott had actually gotten the poo poo kicked out of him and failed, and the ending was either him hallucinating in the QR or had taken a deal from Kang and been sent to a timeline where he had never gone to the QR or something like that

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Captain Invictus posted:

it was fun, but also had miserable parts

a little of column a, a little of column b

also I think modok should have survived and ruined his own attempted dramatic death scene. at this point though I don't know if that would have been more predictable than him getting killed off for being a hideous bad cgi freak

Since they're doing a Thunderbolts thing eventually, I thought MODOK would be a perfect candidate for that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

tell me why it's racist to portray a black person yelling in excitement.

if you say "it's because they look like monkeys" then aren't YOU racist for thinking that???

:thunk:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

ShoogaSlim posted:

tell me why it's racist to portray a black person yelling in excitement.

It isn't.

But yeah, after years of very overt stereotypes in media, there is a sensitivity around humans acting "savage" or like cave-man-y. Kang's so far been portrayed as complicated, but calm. The Kang's in the arena are a noted departure from what we know him to be like so far, so it's just a little jarring.

More importantly tho, when the Kangs are teleporting in, there's a prominent "Hoo hoo arrrrggghhh" towards the end of the pan you have one Kang shrieking and pointing. There's seemingly no dialog, instead just sports-fan energy.

To be clear, I don't think they had ill intent, and I'm not saying it taints the movie, or that people should boycott it, etc... but it's not that big of a leap to notice. Particularly, again, with being hyper aware of those kinds of cues in older media.

End-credits scene talkin' about :
https://twitter.com/Moob_rise/status/1625856618742317056?t=ny8i_6yX8bqBPJ6P-PtkxA&s=19

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 19, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
It was like 80% miserable parts, 20% good. There was a lot more they could do, but the writers and disney are cowards. I will put more blame on disney because they probably have everyone on chains.

I start with the good parts I liked.

The scene with the all the alternate Ant-mans trying to grab the sphere thing all being confused with a few even trying and then dying, and coming together as one (and like ants) to push and pull Scott up for one singular purpose was great. Oh, Wasp was there too..

Hank Pym was good, he seemed the most consistent with what his role was in the first two movies. His army of ants was sick. Seemed like he wasn't all that panicked or worried thru the whole film. There wasn't really any character conflict with him. There was something where Janet kept some secrets, but that was really waved away. "oh I had needs" "yea, I had needs too, it didn't work out" and that was the end of that.

I wished Janet Pym had a real character arc about something...I felt like there could have been something there could have done with her time in the Q-realm and coming to terms with it. But it just all got forgotten.

The different races and stuff were interesting...but am I suppose to care about them? Like when that firehead shooter guy died, was I suppose to care? I did like when Kang was vaporizing all the randoms instantly over and over.
Idk, they said that Kang kicked them out, but was he really that bad a conqueror? the homeless army didn't seem that big considering how big the actual Q-realms seemed to be. I guess maybe he foreefully conscripted people into his army, but they didn't say that. They literally just looked like cloned storm troopers.

Not sure what Wasp did in the movie. Scott is there, Hank had his ants, Janet was the exposition character, Cassie was the annoying little kid insert for the increasingly bad looking next gen of Kid Avengers. What did Wasp do when everyone was separated?

They definitely should have ended the movie with Scott trapped in the Q-realm as something to look to as a payoff for the new marvel phase. Or at the very end when Scott was walking. Like I was thinking they were gonna do something, like the scenes would be kind of unsettling, thought a reveal was gonna be they all went to a different multi-verse that 95% looked the same.

Cassie was a total bore, everytime she was on screen. I am not looking forward to a movie where Cassic, female Hawkeye, Black Pantress and Ms. Marvel team-up together.

-

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The end credits scene conversation is pretty dumb, I encourage yall to stop it now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It isn't.

But yeah, after years of very overt stereotypes in media, there is a sensitivity around humans acting "savage" or like cave-man-y. Kang's so far been portrayed as complicated, but calm. The Kang's in the arena are a noted departure from what we know him to be like so far, so it's just a little jarring.

More importantly tho, when the Kangs are teleporting in, there's a prominent "Hoo hoo arrrrggghhh" towards the end of the pan you have one Kang shrieking and pointing. There's seemingly no dialog, instead just sports-fan energy.

To be clear, I don't think they had ill intent, and I'm not saying it taints the movie, or that people should boycott it, etc... but it's not that big of a leap to notice. Particularly, again, with being hyper aware of those kinds of cues in older media.

End-credits scene talkin' about :
https://twitter.com/Moob_rise/status/1625856618742317056?t=ny8i_6yX8bqBPJ6P-PtkxA&s=19

If anything it just felt a bit out of character based on what we've already seen.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
"maybe Kang the Conqueror was one of the good ones, no no, not that way, just about Kang the character specifically.."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

GateOfD posted:

Cassie was a total bore, everytime she was on screen. I am not looking forward to a movie where Cassic, female Hawkeye, Black Pantress and Ms. Marvel team-up together.

Don't forget Thor's new sidekick kid too.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Wow I completely forgot they set that up. Lmfao

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Easy to do, she was dead for most of the film then got about as much characterisation as they give a new Doctor Who before the new showrunner takes over.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Lol say what now

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

There was also that Patriot kid from FATWS, Ironheart and America Chavez.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i guess its DC's turn to be the winner

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GateOfD posted:

Hope not! All capeshit should go away.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

https://twitter.com/UpToTASK/status/1626423003071512579

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

trapstar posted:

I am entirely convinced that Kang wasn't that bad. (At least compared to all the other multiverse versions of himself)

It feels likely to me that they're going to do a blend of Thanos-esque motivation and the trolley problem, ie "I need to destroy the universes my variants are in because they will eventually destroy everything, isn't it better to sacrifice some to save those who are left" or whatever. Conqueror definitely isn't dead, I think he'll come out of that multiverse machine having spent billions of years fighting infinite versions of himself, bitter as hell and ready to gently caress poo poo up, which will lead to the Secret Wars stuff they're going to do.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

Hope not! All capeshit should go away.

Westerns were huge thing for a good 40-50 years. We've got 'til 2058 for cape stuff to run its course. See you when they reboot the reboots.

Maybe they should have cast Kaitlyn Dever as Cassie. It would make sense for Scott Lang's daughter to be Loretta McCready, maybe hooking Hank and Janet up with pot so they can relax after all the quantum poo poo.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

GateOfD posted:

Lmao. I'll believe it when I see it.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I guess it's good if you only see five movies a year. I mean, I liked it for what it was, it's an ant man movie

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Everyone posted:

Westerns were huge thing for a good 40-50 years. We've got 'til 2058 for cape stuff to run its course. See you when they reboot the reboots.

I think the difference here is that Westerns never had the kind of cultural monopoly superhero movies do - even at their peak, Hollywood was still putting out a lot more besides that and they were giving it all their promotional muscle. Westerns also weren't consolidated under a few unified brands, so there was more variety to be found there and they weren't as inherently monotonous (at least as far as major releases went). Plus, there was no social media equivalent back then to provide an endless supply of commentary and hype on every new, recent and upcoming release. We still have a little ways to go before the bottom fully drops out of these, but I wouldn't be shocked if their presence was significantly reduced five years from now.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I guess it's good if you only see five movies a year. I mean, I liked it for what it was, it's an ant man movie

Honestly, since COVID, I probably don't see more than five or six movies a year - at a theater. Most of them have been cape flicks. I think the last non-supers movie I saw was the original Knives Out and that's only if you don't count Daniel Craig's accent as some kind of super-power. IIRC the last movies I've seen in a theater were Black Widow, Dr. Strange: MoM, Thor 4, Black Adam and Wakanda Forever. I'm planning to see Ant-Man and the Wasp (she's apparently not in it much): Quantamania in the next few days or so.

So yeah, an ant-man movie works fine for me.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

They established early on that Kang could make a huge death bubble of energy they vaporized everything around him.

When he was getting Zerg rushed by future ants I was hoping he would try that but the ants would be too powerful.

Like seriously I want more movies about the future ants

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Part of the ubiquity of westerns for so long too was they were cheap as poo poo to make. A million studio backlot towns and deserts to go drag some horses and costumes off the rack to.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

the new Ant Man is the Last Jedi of the MCU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MCU is rapidly turning into Doctor Who to me. When it's good, it's really good, but that's the exception, not the rule. While it can be bad, more often times it's just mediocre with one or two fun ideas thrown in.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Everyone posted:

I haven't seen the movie but have no willpower to resist spoilers. I'm going to assume that the other Kangs are kind of like the multiple Thoths from Gods of Egypt, like lesser copies/clones or something. Otherwise maybe it's like Naruto and Conservation of Kangjustu or something? But yeah bad sound or whatever, that scene did look stupid/racist. Plus, honestly, I'd expect multiple Kangs to be like the multiple Lokis from Loki, just constantly back-stabbing the gently caress out of each other in order to be the One True Kang or something. I mean, the character's name/title is Kang the Conqueror not Kang a Conqueror.

A little alarm goes off and the Kang in the front shuffles into the back while the one behind them moves up to the point of the formation and picks up the villain monologue without missing more than a beat.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's more that it feels like everyone creatively involved is absolutely exhausted and the reason for each film existing has collapsed down to 'advertise the next film, in a sequence of films that aren't trying to do anything more anymore than hit on comic book nostalgia'.

I think pretty much every other marvel film has a case to argue for its existence as a stand-alone story. This one doesn't even try.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Alchenar posted:

It's more that it feels like everyone creatively involved is absolutely exhausted and the reason for each film existing has collapsed down to 'advertise the next film, in a sequence of films that aren't trying to do anything more anymore than hit on comic book nostalgia'.

I think pretty much every other marvel film has a case to argue for its existence as a stand-alone story. This one doesn't even try.

I think the need to be building to the next thing started with Thor Ragnarok, it lead directly into Infinity War and they've just been doing that with every movie ever since.

I am just happy that my man Cap got movie justice and is probably the best trilogy of movies with a nice wrap up in Endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Diabetic posted:

I think the need to be building to the next thing started with Thor Ragnarok

It was definitely Age of Ultron