Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Kveikur looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

On one hand, the Yes 3-LP release was already released on CD for Progeny (it's a 1972 show) on the other somehow the full Progeny set has become rare and hella expensive.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

strap on revenge posted:

Kveikur looking good

Yeah, I should get that too. It's a great album. Can't believe they haven't had an album in a decade. Hopefully now that they've kind of reunited, we'll get something new soon.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

Ha, if the other albums are better than Phantom Limb, I'm in for a treat. That's really their only album I know, good ol' middle school nostalgia. :allears:

Oh God I just remembered, I think I still have my Job For a Cowboy shirt.

It's way more just basic (but good) grind compared with the other stuff, that I've heard anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4GNIAdJNTE

Pig Destroyer did a split with Orchid as their first or second release, if you want to go slightly left field. Which you should because this is one of the greatest albums of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrEr8sPw2J0

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
They've gotten more into weird metal lately because J.R. can't scream like he used to. Still have their moments though like around :45 in this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDn084oMsL4

In semi-related news Botch just announced a tour.

Also listen to Cloud Rat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tIOShCDPZs

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 17, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm glad our pet bun tolerates all kinds of music as long as the speakers aren't turned up too loud. He did a big flop to Apathy/Celph Titled earlier. :3:

Nihonniboku posted:

It's a great album, and he's amazing live.

Here he is without the mask

Forgot to mention this amongst metal-chat, but my partner (both a relatively stoic dude and also not as into country as I am) got hella emotional the first time he heard Let Me Drown, it's his favorite.

Hexie Mountains is a special one. <3 I would love to see him live one day, maybe we'll make a day trip of it next time he comes to San Francisco.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 17, 2023

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Forgot to mention this amongst metal-chat, but my partner (both a relatively stoic dude and also not as into country as I am) got hella emotional the first time he heard Let Me Drown, it's his favorite.

Hexie Mountains is a special one. <3 I would love to see him live one day, maybe we'll make a day trip of it next time he comes to San Francisco.

Yeah, I really only know him as Orville Peck. I don't know his punk stuff. I admire his commitment to the character though, even putting on an American accent in interviews, even when he was on Trixie Motel.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm glad our pet bun tolerates all kinds of music as long as the speakers aren't turned up too loud.
My cat is at his calmest and cuddliest whenever I blast Om records. Just a big pile of purring whenever I throw on the Stoner Doom. :gerty:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I should get that too. It's a great album. Can't believe they haven't had an album in a decade. Hopefully now that they've kind of reunited, we'll get something new soon.

when I saw them in august they played something like 4 or 5 songs that haven't been recorded yet but have been floating around for a few years, so it seems likely sooner rather than later

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

caligulamprey posted:

My cat is at his calmest and cuddliest whenever I blast Om records. Just a big pile of purring whenever I throw on the Stoner Doom. :gerty:

Our cats run for cover at noise rock but goddamn if it doesn't put the newborn to sleep freakishly quickly.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Got myself the Steve Albini remaster. Such a good album.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Didn't see a UK list posted, so here it is:

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/rsd-list/

Quite a few Jazz releases I wouldn't mind, and a few others too.

Alas, my local record store doesn't participate and as a poor person I picked a bloody stupid hobby to be into.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Megabound posted:

Heck yeah

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Albini rocks and him being great at poker will never not be funny

New Shellac album when

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Megabound posted:

oooh didnt know there was a remaster. I'll have to look for it next time im in a shop.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm a complete RSD newb and I'm interested in that Wilco record. Will the prices be listed before Record Store Day?

Rough Trade's US site started listing their prices for RSD. They list the Wilco release for $29.99

https://www.roughtrade.com/us/product/wilco/crosseyed-strangers-an-alternate-yankee-hotel-foxtrot-2

Keep in mind that Rough Trade's prices tend to be higher than other stores.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Outside of the 45s, 12” singles, and picture discs I don’t think a lot of RSD releases are terribly overpriced at retail, but it’s the dorks who immediately put them on eBay and discogs double what they paid who ruin it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Didn't have the cash for vinyl at the Angélique Kidjo show, buttttttt

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

interpunct posted:

Rough Trade's US site started listing their prices for RSD. They list the Wilco release for $29.99

https://www.roughtrade.com/us/product/wilco/crosseyed-strangers-an-alternate-yankee-hotel-foxtrot-2

Keep in mind that Rough Trade's prices tend to be higher than other stores.

Thanks!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Got more Death Grips (Bottomless Pit), so it's a good day.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 19, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Lmao our postman couldn't get into our building because his fob broke so called me with "hey [name] have a bunch of records for you can you let me in"

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

I decided to stop in at the new Value Village "Boutique" that opened in my neighborhood. Upon getting to the vinyl I was surprised to find a lot of 80s and 90s stuff that usually isn't in thrift stores around here. Pretty soon, I found out why: Everything was priced by an absolute madman. Want a trashed copy of Bat Out of Hell? That'll be $20. The Peel Sessions EP by New Order? $30. Willie Nelson's Greatest Hits? $25. Normally, I would have stopped browsing but felt the need to fight back against this injustice by stealing something. I was briefly tempted by a $25 maxi single of Venus by Bananarama, but eventually came upon this:

This spicy collection of hits was marked as rare. With underline. The cost? $44. That was the one. After pulling off a daring caper that consisted of walking out the front door with it, I decide to give it a listen when I got home. This might actually be something rare. This might be the single worst sounding record in the world. It was clearly made from like an 8th generation dupe and sounds like it's being played in a refrigerator stuck inside another refrigerator. It is flat at least, and properly centered. Nevertheless, it's got appalling wow and flutter. Like it's pressed right in. I've never heard anything like it.

Anyway my wife won't let me frame it, so I don't know. Maybe I'll smuggle it back into the store and put a $100 price tag on it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

steckles posted:

I decided to stop in at the new Value Village "Boutique" that opened in my neighborhood. Upon getting to the vinyl I was surprised to find a lot of 80s and 90s stuff that usually isn't in thrift stores around here. Pretty soon, I found out why: Everything was priced by an absolute madman. Want a trashed copy of Bat Out of Hell? That'll be $20. The Peel Sessions EP by New Order? $30. Willie Nelson's Greatest Hits? $25. Normally, I would have stopped browsing but felt the need to fight back against this injustice by stealing something. I was briefly tempted by a $25 maxi single of Venus by Bananarama, but eventually came upon this:

This spicy collection of hits was marked as rare. With underline. The cost? $44. That was the one. After pulling off a daring caper that consisted of walking out the front door with it, I decide to give it a listen when I got home. This might actually be something rare. This might be the single worst sounding record in the world. It was clearly made from like an 8th generation dupe and sounds like it's being played in a refrigerator stuck inside another refrigerator. It is flat at least, and properly centered. Nevertheless, it's got appalling wow and flutter. Like it's pressed right in. I've never heard anything like it.

Anyway my wife won't let me frame it, so I don't know. Maybe I'll smuggle it back into the store and put a $100 price tag on it.

Quoting

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

bigman.50grand posted:

Speaking of pre-orders, today marks one year +1 day that I ordered the Cowboy Bebop ST from LITA. As of 12/22/22, the current status is that shipments will start being sent on 2/24/23. Maybe I'll have this stupid thing by the end of '23?

That thing hit stores ages ago. If you're not holding out for whatever pretty colors LITA is selling and this album is hard to get there are several copies at the Newbury Comics in my area. It's the overpriced Newbury variant so it's 40 bucks though. But if you absolutely must have it I can pick it up for you and send it your way (obviously for the money).

dorium posted:

I still think about the soul that paid me $900 for the Black Friday version of blond two years ago now. What a time.

That's absolutely insane did you sell it to a Saudi Prince or something? No record is worth this. That's great for you though.

caligulamprey posted:

OH SHITTTTTTTTTT! :dance:

Hey, if you don't want Crispin Glover and the Fish Heads dudes doing a Rap Rock song about how much he loves crankin' it, that's cool I guess.

:sickos:

I've been trying to get a copy of this for a while but the prices on the originals have quadrupled in price over the last couple years. Records are the modern tulipmania. Thanks for the heads up.

Nihonniboku posted:

It's a great album, and he's amazing live.

Here he is without the mask

The first time I saw what he looks like without the mask I was like "Jesus why does he cover his face?". He's loving gorgeous. Kind of hilarious that the link for that image is straight.com. Also re: his voice. I saw an interview with him as Orville Peck and he was talking in his real voice. He's super adorable.

Schremp Howard posted:

Outside of the 45s, 12” singles, and picture discs I don’t think a lot of RSD releases are terribly overpriced at retail, but it’s the dorks who immediately put them on eBay and discogs double what they paid who ruin it.

My favorite thing about this is when the scalpers over anticipate the demand for certain releases and can't unload them at any price and then eventually have to sell them below the original retail price just to dump them. There's usually only a handful of RSD releases anyone cares about. Most of it ends up in clearance bins or otherwise collects dust for years. Newbury Comics (at least one the nearest to me) had to have an all sales final rule on RSD stuff because way too many people were buying the poo poo to resell at a markup and when they failed to do so they'd return it.

steckles posted:

Value Village/Savers seems to forget what "thrift" means. I see a lot of poo poo at ebay prices or even higher in there now. Not just records but lots of "collectables". One day I saw a copy of the Game Cube version of Metroid for 300 bucks. What's funny is I've frequently found better poo poo in there for the normal shelf prices that's way better find than the heavily marked up crap in the glass case. They had a loving Crosley turntable up front for 40 bucks meanwhile an actually good turntable was on the shelf in back for 12.99. But even worse than that, one of the lovely turntables upfront was a loving Fisher Price turntable. You can make this poo poo up. But aside from jacking up prices on dumb nonsense, they've also been slowly increasing the prices on clothes and things people actually need which is super lame.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Got more Death Grubs (Bottomless Pit), so it's a good day.

Just noticed the typo, I meant Death GRIPS, not Grubs, ha. Autocorrect strikes again.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah records. Mostly new stuff I've snagged off Amazon or eBay

Debating if I want to try and get the season 3 score or not, because then I'll have all the of the Badalmenti scores for Twin Peaks.

An original 1974 release, with the original paper sleeve for the record that has some neat advertising on it, forgot to get a picture. Also the disc is in excellent condition and plays beautifully. Only spent $50 with shipping for it so I'm extremely happy about this find.

Target exclusive purple vinyl :getin:

Another Target exclusive colored vinyl, one is orange the other is green I believe?

It's a good pop album :colbert:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

When it comes to records, the only thing Value Village is good for is filling in all your Chuck Mangione blind spots. Those things are still only gonna run you six bucks, tops.

CPL593H posted:

I've been trying to get a copy of this for a while but the prices on the originals have quadrupled in price over the last couple years. Records are the modern tulipmania. Thanks for the heads up.
One of my big record regrets was when I first started collecting (while also being at my poorest) I passed up a copy for $35 'cause it had a cut corner. I'm glad it finally came back around, even if it took, like, fifteen years.

CPL593H posted:

The first time I saw what he looks like without the mask I was like "Jesus why does he cover his face?".
'Cause he has to hide from the fact that The Residents literally did the gay anonymous cowboy thing 35 years ago. :v:

(they also did a song about Tulipmania too OHGODICAN'TSTOPPLEASEMAKEITSTOP)

I do love Orville Peck, though. My lasting memory of seeing him live will always be turning to see my partner in the corner of the room with a half-empty cup of beer, taking a sip and then immediately throwing up right back into the cup, looking left, looking right and then placing it on the nearest counter before running away. Cleanest, most professional public puke I've ever seen.

joylessdivision posted:

An original 1974 release, with the original paper sleeve for the record that has some neat advertising on it, forgot to get a picture. Also the disc is in excellent condition and plays beautifully. Only spent $50 with shipping for it so I'm extremely happy about this find.
Gonna need pics of the paper sleeve, mine's an original but the sleeve's plain. Probably why mine only cost $35, but it sounds so dang good. Also: I own five of those records that you posted! :allears:

My Gaga of choice is Fame Monster though. Teeth's my faaaaaaaavorite.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 19, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

I do love Orville Peck, though. My lasting memory of seeing him live will always be turning to see my partner in the corner of the room with a half-empty cup of beer, taking a sip and then immediately throwing up right back into the cup, looking left, looking right and then placing it on the nearest counter before running away. Cleanest, most professional public puke I've ever seen.

Based on this latest revelation, I am not entirely convinced your partner wasn’t the bathroom shitter.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Value Village/Savers seems to forget what "thrift" means. I see a lot of poo poo at ebay prices or even higher in there now. Not just records but lots of "collectables". One day I saw a copy of the Game Cube version of Metroid for 300 bucks. What's funny is I've frequently found better poo poo in there for the normal shelf prices that's way better find than the heavily marked up crap in the glass case. They had a loving Crosley turntable up front for 40 bucks meanwhile an actually good turntable was on the shelf in back for 12.99. But even worse than that, one of the lovely turntables upfront was a loving Fisher Price turntable. You can make this poo poo up. But aside from jacking up prices on dumb nonsense, they've also been slowly increasing the prices on clothes and things people actually need which is super lame.
Oof, yeah. I saw a naked cart of Conker's Bad Fur Day for $199 a while back. Clothes are definitely getting more expensive too, like $75 for a Pendleton shirt which I'm pretty sure I've seen at retail for less. Oh well, I did find this weird enameled metal cup celebrating the coronation of Edward VII from 1901 that was only 1.99. Probably haunted and definitely full of Lead and Cadmium.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Orville should always wear the mask regardless of how incredibly handsome they are.

I saw him in Denver a couple weeks before the pandemic hit and that was a great one to go out on.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

So jealous of y'all seeing Mr. Peck live! :argh:

caligulamprey posted:

:lol:, this rules.

caligulamprey posted:

My Gaga of choice is Fame Monster though. Teeth's my faaaaaaaavorite.

The best one is ABSOLUTELY Born This Way. :colbert:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Toe Rag posted:

Based on this latest revelation, I am not entirely convinced your partner wasn’t the bathroom shitter.
Bathroom Puker! And I didn't even think of that! :psyboom:

Well if he is I'm envious of his ability to puke cleanly, that's a borderline superpower as far as I'm concerned. I had Norovirus after my San Francisco trip and those pukes were absolutely filthy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

When it comes to records, the only thing Value Village is good for is filling in all your Chuck Mangione blind spots. Those things are still only gonna run you six bucks, tops.

One of my big record regrets was when I first started collecting (while also being at my poorest) I passed up a copy for $35 'cause it had a cut corner. I'm glad it finally came back around, even if it took, like, fifteen years.

I passed up 30-40 dollar copies of The Big Problem on discogs multiple times for no other reason than I didn;t feel like spending the money at the time and they come up a lot. The record isn't really in short supply there are always a bunch for sale on there and ebay. As for Savers/Value Village there's a lot to criticize but I've also had some great scores there and have found a whole bunch of rare records there over the years. I was saying this in another thread but the key to getting anything good is just going there a lot and having patience. A few days I got a whole bunch of Arrow Films blu-rays in there. They can still suck it for jacking up prices on clothes though.

Also, my copy of the Phantom of the Paradise soundtrack was 15 bucks. :smug: I'm pretty sure the the original inner from that is just the generic record company sleeve and nothing specific to the movie/album if you're wondering what it looks like.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 19, 2023

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I do all my vinyl buying online but today I went to a record store and ended up picking up Sage Francis - Personal Journals and Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui UXO. My fiancee bought me The Academy Is - Almost Here for my bday in July which means I don't get it till then.

Great store, too. Dearborn Music in Dearborn, MI

Edit:
Holy crap the color on this vinyl is cool as heck

It's the 20th anniversary edition from last year

RubberLuffy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 20, 2023

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

RubberLuffy posted:

Great store, too. Dearborn Music in Dearborn, MI
Their other branch in Farmington is also quite good. Go there quite often.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

That's absolutely insane did you sell it to a Saudi Prince or something? No record is worth this. That's great for you though.

No idea. I did ask why they were buying it and apparently it was for them and a friend to enjoy on their Friend-a-Versary. Hell of a gift

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

More havedcore, had TMOC introduced to me last month and was told their big influences were Big Black and Joy Division and yep, you can hear it.

There was a 30th anniversary edition released in 2019 and the label still has some in stock so that's what this is. No where on the website is it mentioned that the vinyl is green so that was a nice surprise.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Megabound posted:

More havedcore, had TMOC introduced to me last month and was told their big influences were Big Black and Joy Division and yep, you can hear it.

There was a 30th anniversary edition released in 2019 and the label still has some in stock so that's what this is. No where on the website is it mentioned that the vinyl is green so that was a nice surprise.

TMOC are loving brutal and rad.

Listened to Sleep - Dopesmoker, Chat Pile - God's Country and The Stickmen's debut album today. Good heavy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I went to a record fair! It was so nice to actually browse through crates.

I admit I am basic.

Not records, but they made me happy.

Original copies from 1989. The seller pointed at one and said 'yes, this is good'. He didn't comment on the other. Guess which was which.