Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 18, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Blueberry's tale gets rudely interrupted, or Campbell intervenes, or ...to Parker's misfortune

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 30, 1955)

Did one get skipped here? Seems like an abrupt transition from “our heroes go a-questing for a fair maid” to “Gawain bleeds out and also there’s an ogre now,”

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Bimmi posted:

Did one get skipped here? Seems like an abrupt transition from “our heroes go a-questing for a fair maid” to “Gawain bleeds out and also there’s an ogre now,”

It's mostly just a highlight reel of a much longer story.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

1980 comics

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

:derp: MAJOR PLOT DEVELOPMENT :derp: It was only a couple months ago I think we were talking about what happened to Arthur.
"Arthur, everyone is mad at me because I let some dude in who burns kids at the stake but-"
"You did WHAT"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hostile V posted:

gently caress and All.

If you never clean this thing out and give it a good decontamination you'll get all kinds of salmonella, e coli and so much more.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

If you never clean this thing out and give it a good decontamination you'll get all kinds of salmonella, e coli and so much more.

and then they'll want to vote!!! *hilarious rimshot*

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

Noor

Pondus

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"Arthur, everyone is mad at me because I let some dude in who burns kids at the stake but-"
"You did WHAT"
"Damnit Arn you moron, you know full well you're meant to put the kids on a boat and if it sinks who can really say if it's your fault. D E N I A B I L I T Y."

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

l think this might be my favourite.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

:derp: MAJOR PLOT DEVELOPMENT :derp: It was only a couple months ago I think we were talking about what happened to Arthur.

I like the idea that Arthur got so sick of Val and Gawain's poo poo he just gave them the kingdom and hosed off.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

I'm gonna start putting up a "It has been X days since Billingsley told a joke" counter.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Since the chain reaches the door, Slylock is going to have an interesting time making that first lap leading the monster around the tree.

FoxTrot

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/18/03

Brenda Starr 6/8-10/50

Smokey Stover 1/14/53

Everyday Movies 2/14/36

"Can you beat that! After I take my bath he calls up and breaks the date."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/21-23/40

Football players who weigh more than 200 pounds! Can you imagine?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Medenmath posted:

Forgive my inattention but was there a giant time skip?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Forgive my inattention but was there a giant time skip?

we get two Vals, one is the past when he started out (and he's currently telling his kids about some of his adventures) and then the sunday present day, where Arn is a pure poo poo fine with women and children burned at stake and Katwin would smack the poo poo out of him.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

we get two Vals, one is the past when he started out (and he's currently telling his kids about some of his adventures) and then the sunday present day, where Arn is a pure poo poo fine with women and children burned at stake and Katwin would smack the poo poo out of him.

Thank you. I must not be paying mind to the current stuff.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Medenmath posted:

This rules. Your post I mean, not that he died. :v: Thanks for explaining who he was.
Thanks! Glad that you appreciate the random Finnish tidbits.

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

Raastuvanoikeus = lower court; archaic term used of lower courts located in old cities in Sweden/Finland (Swed. Rådhusrätt)
Raastupa = archaic name for city courtrooms (from Swedish Rådhus; oddly enough Finnish also has the word Raatihuone from the same origin, with roughly the same meaning(?))
Raastua = to become grated
Raastuva = able to become grated
Raastuvanoikeus = court for those who can be grated

(Raati + huone = court + room; "raastupa" is probably the same although "raas" doesn't exist as a singular word afaik. "Tupa" means living room/area, or nowadays more commonly a small wooden hut.)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

:3:

Actually not a bad Family Circus today.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I miss the Norwegian teacher comic, that was constantly really good

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth has been living my week, weatherwise.

Peanuts (February 22, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Popeye, featuring some scrub who's never heard of loopholes.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Popcom

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Junk Drawer didn't update this week

Home Free

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Wilbur must die.

The Phantom

A few of these panels look skewed to me.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

I missed a Mara Llave a couple weeks ago. Still it's way slow.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/9-11/50

Archie 7/29-31/46

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Knocking off socks is of course a classic comics trope but Mythbusters found it would require being hit by a steel girder moving 65 mph https://mythresults.com/mythssion-control.

So Connie was indeed VERY violent here. As well as having a most remarkable throwing arm.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

EasyEW posted:

Popeye, featuring some scrub who's never heard of loopholes.

What a truly horrible last panel for an otherwise decent strip. I just want to DM so many authors and make them watch the Joker screaming "if you have to explain a joke there is no joke."

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Holy poo poo to both! I really thought Cthulu and Girl was gonna have the C Stars like infused with overwhelming eldritch excitement... :ohdear:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Selachian posted:

Pogo 3/9-11/50

Now wondering if I'm the only person in this thread old enough to get the 'Etaoin Shrdlu' joke.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Sabao better make it through this robbery intact, that's all I'm saying.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Wilbur must die.

Panel 4 is one for the ages, like the one of Estelle, Wilbur, and their spawn.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 10: Boys Like Fun Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Here it is, “Boys Like Fun” part 2, it really doesn’t seem so long since we were enjoying part one together, does it? You didn’t expect it to start with Flukeman, did you? So many questions! See, I can still surprise you.

My Patreon subscribers in all but the lowest tier can read the whole of this story (and many more) in a higher-res PDF format right now.

Also I've been meaning to post the various covers previewed for the first two issues of Allison's upcoming 4 issue series The Great British Bump-Off. Issue one has three covers, the standard one by Max Sarin and two alt covers by Dan Hipp and Jill Thompson, although Thompson's cover has yet to be posted online anywhere.

Here are the covers for issue two, again one by Sarin and an alt cover by Lissa Treiman, who also worked on Giant Days

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball
How do you pick names for characters? I read that article on the comic that translated the title as Scary Alien Baseball Team and I really like your translation of Demons of Baseball to capture the 'scary intense outsider baseball players' feel, it's a lot less literal but I feel hits the described mood of the Korean title better. And clearly you're picking more western given names while keeping family names of characters, but I'm wondering if part of that is to capture connotations of names? Like, Planck is a reference to Planck's constant, right? How did you pick that name? Does Two Guns use a nickname in Korean, too? I know you made Maggie and May match because they're sisters, but does Copper have a metallic name in Korean, is Hardy's name a reference to him being tough? Sorry, I'm just really curious! I'm really really enjoying The Demons of Baseball and I've been sharing it with a friend off-forum that loves it, too.