Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How many stealth oners does it have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I'm a few episodes into Columbo too, tempted to just find a best of list and skip through to the best episodes and also check out the more recent ones just out of curiosity. A few episodes have been great (the Spielberg one), but a couple have been real stinkers like this Leslie Nielson episode, seems like a show that can vary wildy with the amount of talent in a given episode.

I know there were two pilots first, but one part thats great is how spot on Columbo's personality is right from day one. Only takes one episode to get his whole vibe. I love how it seems there's a running thing where you are never really sure what is real about his personality. Is he actually quirky/bumbling a bit in his real life, or is his small talk 100% fake and he actually spots the murderer first thing each time and hates these people?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Four episodes into Columbo, it's great. I wish they had slightly bigger casts, ala' The A-Team, as 2/3 of each episode appear to be Columbo just chewing the murderer out until they slip up. Maybe that'll happen as the show goes on.

There is one very important cast member you have yet to meet, though sadly they are not in every episode.

Annabel Pee posted:

I'm a few episodes into Columbo too, tempted to just find a best of list and skip through to the best episodes and also check out the more recent ones just out of curiosity.

Doing a thing where you skip to the best episodes but also check out the recent ones is unhinged, because woof some of those new eps are just miserable.

Really I just recommend watching all of them, there are only 69 and people have very different opinions on what a best of list would be. There might be value in skipping like Last Salute to Commodore and the one in england because people tend to call those two the worst of the classics (though I like the england one honestly, its just hammy and fun)

Annabel Pee posted:

Is he actually quirky/bumbling a bit in his real life, or is his small talk 100% fake and he actually spots the murderer first thing each time and hates these people?

You eventually get an answer to this. There are some killers he just flat out hates and the difference is pretty telling.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 19, 2023

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

There is one very important cast member you have yet to meet, though sadly they are not in every episode.

Doing a thing where you skip to the best episodes but also check out the recent ones is unhinged, because woof some of those new eps are just miserable.

Really I just recommend watching all of them, there are only 69 and people have very different opinions on what a best of list would be. There might be value in skipping like Last Salute to Commodore and the one in england because people tend to call those two the worst of the classics (though I like the england one honestly, its just hammy and fun)

Fair enough I'll just watch in order and make it last! I'm interested in seeing some of the knew stuff even if they ruin it, its always interesting seeing how a show develops over time, and believe me I've stuck with some bad stuff, I recently watched Kung Fu, and then some of the 90's spin-off Kung Fu: The Legend Continues which has the insane premise of David Carradine now playing his own characters grandson set in the present day, so I'm ready for some bad quality entertainment.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

I'm predicting the dog, based on my only knowledge of the columbo statue in Budapest having a dog next to it.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

There are no bad Columbo episodes because Peter Falk is in all of them and you can always find a few scenes that are a delight to watch that fills you with giddy joy. And there's always some new lore being dropped.

Speaking for the "official run". Haven't seen the "new" ones yet. 🫣🫢😁

Maybe I should keep watching Poker Face though. Episode 1 was kinda meh but it sounds like its getting better.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah episode 1 is pretty clunky, later episodes still have a bit of clunk but nowhere near as bad. 3 is really where it hits its stride, 2 is decent but still feels like its not all the way there yet.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lpzie posted:

And there's always some new lore being dropped.

I always assumed that Columbo was just a massive bullshitter.

I'm sure I read that Falk said at some point that Columbo wasn't married and just made up the stuff his wife would say.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zenithe posted:

I'm sure I read that Falk said at some point that Columbo wasn't married and just made up the stuff his wife would say.

You must be misremembering something, he def makes some stuff up about her but other characters mention meeting her throughout the series.
When I was doing a group watch with friends we had fun imagining the wife was his beard though.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Zenithe posted:

The first scene (that i recall) we see his bullshitting from conception is on the cruise ship. The nurse tells him someone is inside the closed room, so when the doctor and nurse are distracted, he goes into the room and claims he didn't know anybody was in here. Before this scene it wasn't always clear how much of him just happening to bump into the murderer was planned or, for example, if he really did fall asleep reading those art books in that guys home.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Columbo's vibe seems genuine because he interacts with people besides the killer and doesn't change personality. The disheveledness is probably played up a bit and he certainly hides the depths of his intelligence from suspects. But I always get the impression that he's using his own personality to his advantage instead of putting up a front.

One thing that really differentiates Poker Face from Columbo is that she cannot really keep info to herself or hide her opinions. The title is ironic because Charlie has no poker face at all. Columbo only shows his hand bit by bit as he builds a case whereas Charlie can't wait to confront the murderer or their friends the moment she figures it out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you like Peter Falk watch Mikey and Nicky. and A Woman Under the Influence.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Do later episodes of Columbo mess with the formula at all? I'm a little surprised how basically every ep has him find the killer basically immediately. Curious if they do an ep where he narrows in on the wrong person for 2/3 of it before finding the right person.

Also lol that Columbo is in the thread title.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Do later episodes of Columbo mess with the formula at all? I'm a little surprised how basically every ep has him find the killer basically immediately. Curious if they do an ep where he narrows in on the wrong person for 2/3 of it before finding the right person.

Yeah, Last Salute to the Commodore, which changed the formula from a howcatchem to a whodunit, is the worst. Still good scenes in it though!

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
And then there's the episode where we see the murderer, but he has an identical twin, so we don't know which of them did it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Also lol that Columbo is in the thread title.

It's in the title because this show is a very deliberate rip of Columbo~

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
There's also a Columbo where there isn't a murder, but he's tracking down his kidnapped nephew. Any episode that really changes up the formula tend to be regarded as pretty bad. Also see Columbo Undercover, where he's pulling guns on people and kicking doors in. Messing with perfection never works.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

There's also a Columbo where there isn't a murder, but he's tracking down his kidnapped nephew. Any episode that really changes up the formula tend to be regarded as pretty bad. Also see Columbo Undercover, where he's pulling guns on people and kicking doors in. Messing with perfection never works.

Both of those episodes are 87th Precinct adaptations, hence why they also feel so much more like police procedurals. The kidnap one is my most hated episode.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Peter Falk had a glass eye. One time when he was playing baseball, he pulled out his glass eye and offered it to the umpire, saying "You'll see better with this one."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wouldn't that pit maneuver get the guy black-flagged in the first race? :mad:

It's another fun episode but I feel like the literal perfect lie detector superpower will get limiting pretty soon, story-wise.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I like how Davis knew about her lie detector ability and managed to imply his innocence without ever telling a lie. He would have gotten away with it if Charlie hadn't eavesdropped when he was reassuring that kid.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Snooze Cruise posted:

You eventually get an answer to this. There are some killers he just flat out hates and the difference is pretty telling.

Genuinely one of my favorite scenes in the entire series is when the killer subtly deflects blame for his wife attempting to kill himself, and Columbo loses it at him and lets him know he's going down.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

skeleton warrior posted:

I thought they did a good job with oh he’s an evil poo poo, you’re supposed to hate him and sympathize with the murder followed by a sudden “okay now that you think he’s dead, see him from his mother’s view and suddenly he’s a lot more understandable and sympathetic and the murderer is just a privileged rear end” immediately followed by “oh gently caress no he was evil all along”

MokBa posted:

Honestly with all the poo poo and intimidation he kept pulling, especially at their house, I would've tried to kill him too. But maybe I just innately root for Tim Blake Nelson.

Yeah, I was definitely feeling oh, I totally sympathize with the killer here during the first act, then no, I guess the victim isn't totally evil, he just goes a little far sometimes, and then no, he really is a loving prick, I can't wait for Charlie to deliver some karma

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Jethro posted:

Yeah, I was definitely feeling oh, I totally sympathize with the killer here during the first act, then no, I guess the victim isn't totally evil, he just goes a little far sometimes, and then no, he really is a loving prick, I can't wait for Charlie to deliver some karma

It's a very clever bit of storytelling how it shifts your sympathies as it subverts the usual formula.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Episode 3: Best of the show so far.

I loved the gimmick with the racist rear end in a top hat QAnon dog, and Natasha Lyonne is really starting to stretch her wings in the role. I am way into this now.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Episode 7: I feel like Cancer Dog was a rejected title of the series, and I sorta love it?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Episode 7: I feel like Cancer Dog was a rejected title of the series, and I sorta love it?

I don't think it would work as a title at all, and Poker Face is perfect.

My favourite detail in this episode was the single banjo note after she makes a Deliverance joke and the guys haven't seen it.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the new episode is very cool, every guest star was incredible, thought there were some absolutely beautifully shot moments in there as well. hopefully s2 will have some more directing from Natasha Lyonne

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
episode is great so far but this shot made me bust up laughing because it looks like the news card of sitcom gag or weekend update or something with it being just a cropped body with a dropshadow and some red splatter over a photo.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Only halfway through, but the restrained number of characters and quick murder convince me that this show could totally pull off two hour eps. The convos between Charlie and Arthur are great stuff.

Everyone gasping at benign footage of a woman turning off a light bulb is silly but I'm here for it.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 23, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I loved that ending, the whole crowd gasps are probably a bit much, but that point doesn't matter how they react, she's reaping

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh maaaaan this show is so good

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I thought last week's episode was a little weaker than usual, but this week's was just fantastic.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

the whole crowd doing big gasps at the big reveal didn't bother me so much, like -- every attendee in there is some kind of goony superfan, some of them are even in costume! so it makes sense to me that everyone there would know exactly what that footage meant, and especially with how laura was starting to crack up in her speech just before, bringing up the girl who died out of the blue and everything

anyway this show is so so so so good, and this episode in particular might be one of the best things i've seen on tv in a long long while

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh, it didn't bother me. I just found it kinda funny, as it came out of nowhere and was zoomed in on the light bulb and not like the tank. Episode was great.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
I hope Tuvok was able to take that maquette of his head home with him. That was crazy detailed.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I was hoping every scene with it was just actually him sitting in boxes/cut out tables being very still.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Conclusions posted:

I hope Tuvok was able to take that maquette of his head home with him. That was crazy detailed.

I hope he has a strong text password

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Solovey posted:

the whole crowd doing big gasps at the big reveal didn't bother me so much, like -- every attendee in there is some kind of goony superfan, some of them are even in costume! so it makes sense to me that everyone there would know exactly what that footage meant, and especially with how laura was starting to crack up in her speech just before, bringing up the girl who died out of the blue and everything

i just had assumed that was a big hollywood story in-universe and anyone even somewhat of a film nerd would know about the details. like seeing john landis loosening bolts on a helicopter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I actually found this one rather weak, plotting-wise, especially the third act, with Charlie not really doing much to solve the mystery. And the horse gag was pretty dumb imo. But the first act was great, Nick Nolte especially.

From the credits it looks like Arthur’s puppets and stuff was put together by Phil Tippett’s studio (who he’s pretty clearly based on). Super cool!