Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Zoomers are going around doing 90s throwback days as part of spirit week, wishing they could go back to a time when they didn't have their peers stupid intimate thoughts and moments beamed to them 24/7, amazed at a time when people thought the future was going to be good.

Lol

Zoomers are late 90's babies, if they're doing nostalgia throwbacks they're also doing baby role-play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Open Source Idiom posted:

Zoomers are late 90's babies, if they're doing nostalgia throwbacks they're also doing baby role-play.

Is there not some version of "nostalgia for something you never personally experienced?" Like somebody born in the 00s somehow "nostalgic" for the 80s or something?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Or all the right-wing freaks on twitter who post old grill advertisements with smiling suburban families and captions like “restore tradition”?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ok when PostZ gen
Whatever those freaks born in like 2007 are

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People born in 2004 are in college now.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Millennials are currently 27 to 42. Gen Z is currently 11* to 27. Gen Alpha is currently 11* and under. The oldest members of Gen Alpha will be able to vote around 2030.

*"There is not yet a general consensus on the birth years of Generation Alpha. Media sources focused specifically on Generation Alpha use starting birth years such as 2010[1][2][12] and 2011.[4] However, many definitions of Generation Z end in 2012,[13] and some in 2015,[14] which would indicate that the oldest members of Generation Alpha were born in 2013 or 2016."

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 19, 2023

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Zoomers are going around doing 90s throwback days as part of spirit week, wishing they could go back to a time when they didn't have their peers stupid intimate thoughts and moments beamed to them 24/7, amazed at a time when people thought the future was going to be good.

Lol

So over a decade ago, I got out of a very bad relationship. This was still the era of flip phones. I grew to hate the cell phone because it felt like a leash. My partner literally wanted a text when I left the apartment. Imagine you walk 5 minutes to the corner store. Your other half gets home and imagines their ex came and kidnaped you.

I loving hated it so when we split I had no cell phone. I quickly learned it wasnt gonna help I would make set times to meet people for something find they wouldnt show up, and after waiting an hour leave only to learn "oh hey I didnt have your number I was running late"

Now in a world of smart phone good loving luck. I know people who cant even find their way home or read a map.

The craziest fever dream of the future was the idea that social media would bring us all closer together....ha.

to tie this back on topic member the ending to amphibia were they were doing chat on an old imac and the MC was all "whats with this old timey poo poo?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's so wierd seeing throwback to the 90s. Like there was throwback to the 70s and that's understandable, but the 90s was a kinda nothing decade culturally, it didn't really have its own thing. The first half was an extended late 80s (which was awesome, transformers yo) and the second half was an early 2000s.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Admittely I am a person who is looking back on the 90s from a distance but like, while I can see plenty of things that are early signs of things of the 00s, or late lagging things from the 80s, like...

okay this isn't a kid's show but, Nirvana and the greater grunge scene absolutely killed off a ton of 80s music trends. Hair metal was not going to fly when ennui was in.

Admittely, on the other hand, you can make a pretty clear chain of kids media trends between Transformers dominating the mid 80s, TMNT taking over the late 80s through early 90s, and then Power Rangers and Pokemon dominating the rest of the 90s. Those things have more in common with each other than they do have differences, I feel.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Everyone posted:

Is there not some version of "nostalgia for something you never personally experienced?" Like somebody born in the 00s somehow "nostalgic" for the 80s or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-v1b9waHWY

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

It's so wierd seeing throwback to the 90s. Like there was throwback to the 70s and that's understandable, but the 90s was a kinda nothing decade culturally, it didn't really have its own thing. The first half was an extended late 80s (which was awesome, transformers yo) and the second half was an early 2000s.

The 90s was the last decade for when people born relatively pre-9/11 thought the world wasn't going to poo poo at warp speed. You're probably going to see a lot of 2010s nostalgia in about 10 to 15 years from Gen Z'ers for whom COVID was a similar world-altering terminator.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Junpei posted:

Admittely, on the other hand, you can make a pretty clear chain of kids media trends between Transformers dominating the mid 80s, TMNT taking over the late 80s through early 90s, and then Power Rangers and Pokemon dominating the rest of the 90s. Those things have more in common with each other than they do have differences, I feel.

Rugrats and the shows inspired by it were very much a 90's phenomena.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
ren and stimpy, beavis and butthead, batman tas, x-men, spider-man tas, lion king, toy story, dexters lab and gargoyles were 90's as gently caress

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, saying "the 90s had no culture" is incredibly wrong to the point where like the next three pages of this thread are going to be people coming out of the woodwork and posting lists of big name pop cultural things from the 90s.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

The 90s was the last decade for when people born relatively pre-9/11 thought the world wasn't going to poo poo at warp speed. You're probably going to see a lot of 2010s nostalgia in about 10 to 15 years from Gen Z'ers for whom COVID was a similar world-altering terminator.

Yeah, that's true, I turned 15 in 2000 and that in particular was a harsh whiplash that defines my generation of early millennials in a lot of ways. The world was a big promise that got broken just as we became adults.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, saying "the 90s had no culture" is incredibly wrong to the point where like the next three pages of this thread are going to be people coming out of the woodwork and posting lists of big name pop cultural things from the 90s.

Yeah, it's more that... if you were going to draw lines between very broad cultural generations and over-groups of cultural movements, you'd probably end up drawing it midway through the 90s.

Also, there was so much grey and beige, who wants that.

Ah well It was probably a mistake of an observation to make.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 19, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The 90s were basically the rise of anime in America (yes I know it was around before but it's when Toonami started really bringing it to the masses) which is responsible for a lot of trends we see in western animation today, from styles to character designs to plot inspiration.

... to occasional cameos. Recent case in point from Moon Girl:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 19, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think this was sort of a long time coming, and it's weird how it's taken so long for 90s revival stuff to get going. 80s nostalgia was so popular for so long, but it's even somewhat hard to say how much 80s throwback stuff was nostalgia and how much was just stuff that hadn't properly died yet. Beast Wars came around only 9 years after the end of the previous proper Transformers cartoon, but they had still been cranking out toys and comics and even japanese exclusive cartoons all the while. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had its original cartoon continue all the way into 1996 before ending, still had comics going in the background, and had its new revival in 2003. For a more "mature" example, Star Wars had the last movie come out in 1983, and then the tie-in cartoons went to 1986, and then nothing, no releases, no content, until 1991 when the Expanded Universe slowly started rolling with the Zahn novels, then videogames, more novels, and then the full return of new movies in 1999. These are all much, much faster turnarounds.

I guess the new IPs and shows of the 90s were less merchandise-driven, so there was less motivation to spin them up into bigger franchises (maybe the fact that there were still all these 80s juggernauts around meant that there was competition keeping shows from jumping into the merch game? I get the sense that a lot of the projects that went bad at the end of the 80s might've soured companies on the idea).

And then when anime started getting imported in bulk, it kinda killed a lot of shows that couldn't compete, and maybe from an american corporate perspective, you can't really harness anime nostalgia because it's owned way overseas by people you need to cut in on whatever profit you get, and the Japanese companies aren't going to go out of their way to pander specifically to western audiences. It wasn't until the 2000s that american creators figured out how to harness anime energy for making domestic media.

MikeJF posted:

Also, there was so much grey and beige, who wants that.

Your options are beige grey or neon jiggling triangles.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think part of is that two of the big 90s kids franchises, Power Rangers and Pokemon's anime, came out in ways that made them easy to just... keep going. PR did it's own thing for a bit, but eventually around Lost Galaxy/Lightspeed Rescue they fully adopted the Sentai method of a new show once a year with a new cast and new villains and a new plot, which lets it basically run forever as long as the Sentai they adapt hold up-and while PR might not have ever had a peak as high as the Mighty Morphin' era ever again they've been holding strong pretty consistently even when the shows themselves aren't great. Pokemon anime have also been running on and on and on in a similar fashion.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MikeJF posted:

the 90s was a kinda nothing decade culturally, it didn't really have its own thing.
This post is so dumb it belongs in the Smithsonian.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neoliberalism and the end of history era enabled or accelerated almost everything that led to the hell we’re living through now.

It was definitely true that people in that time thought that things would just continue as they were in an endless pax americana where gdp would slowly rise forever and politics was a solved question (it exists to serve the efficient operation of markets). What was actually happening was a lot more dynamic than that, though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

IIRC, the 90s was basically

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A blowjob era not seen since Nancy walked those halls

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I AM GRANDO posted:

Neoliberalism and the end of history era enabled or accelerated almost everything that led to the hell we’re living through now.

To big things defined the 1990s The fall of the soviet union and the opening up of china.

From the former soviet space we got a ton of raw resources and from china a billion person strong pull of cheap labor. This is not the natural state of the world.

In the movie space culturally this was shown in movies like "fight club" "the matrix" "office space" and "american beauty"

9/11 took that away.

Also back to wait till your father gets home

Chud before chud there were always people who just need some boogy man to rage about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZsSBESNo-M

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Politically, everything that people thought was important in America back in the 90s seems like such a nothing now compared to what came before and after. Bill Clinton's big scandal was even at the time transparently a ploy by the Republicans using standards they didn't believe in themselves (and has become even more transparently obvious over time). Clinton's actual accomplishments weren't very exciting. George Bush sr had his clean little war and his not-so-clean tax hike. Y2K was something people could get excited about, but it was just a technical issue that was expensive to solve, and companies solved it.

Compared to the surrounding decades, the 80s had largely been defined by Reagan, and Reagan's big thing had been playing up the Cold War, publicly stepping up weapons development despite how otherwise there had been movement made towards arms reduction, and trying to revive the whole fear of an existential ideological threat posed by communism. Reagan's scandals involved high treason. The end of the Cold War all of sudden meant that everything that Reagan had been building as the new strategic core of the Republican Party was definitively no longer relevant. When W's first election campaign came around, he had to rely on promising to take Clinton's budget surplus and physically hand it out as bribes. America in the 80s also had a lot of anxiety over Japan and its expanding economic influence, but even as anime would expand globally, Japanese economic influence would contract as the Japanese economy hit a major slump. And of course in the aughts, 9/11 changed everything politically and culturally. W could revive Reagan-style warmongering rhetoric for his new "war on terror", and so much media had so much intense real angst over 9/11 and the surrounding terror that took a long while to fade.

What little I do know was distinct in the 90s was kinda "kids stuff" although obviously a lot of adults were into them. Comicbooks had just recently "proved" that they could appeal to adults (which they always had, but back during the 50s and 60s they were kinda put into a ghetto of kids' stuff) and spent the 90s going overboard with faux-mature content, buoyed by an economic comic collecting bubble that crashed and nearly destroyed the industry, but didn't. Videogames got full 3D consoles that led to the (temporary) abandonment of most of the previous 2D-based 80s game styles (and while pixel art later made a big comeback, there doesn't seem to be much interest in low-poly nostalgia aesthetics). And cartoons had a bit of a renaissance after the dominant 80s business model of cartoons as toy commercials ran its course, but even without specifically related merch, there was still plenty of money left in cartoons, and since they were being made as cartoons first rather than toys, they could experiment with things other than the stylistic realism of the 80s.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ups_rail posted:

To big things defined the 1990s The fall of the soviet union and the opening up of china.

From the former soviet space we got a ton of raw resources and from china a billion person strong pull of cheap labor. This is not the natural state of the world.

In the movie space culturally this was shown in movies like "fight club" "the matrix" "office space" and "american beauty"

9/11 took that away.

Also back to wait till your father gets home

Chud before chud there were always people who just need some boogy man to rage about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZsSBESNo-M

I think one reason The X-Files was so big is that people wanted government conspiracies/aliens/etc. to "worry" about.

Then 9-11 happened and "Oh yeah, aliens are bullshit and real terrorists are coming to kill us all."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Everyone posted:

I think one reason The X-Files was so big is that people wanted government conspiracies/aliens/etc. to "worry" about.

Then 9-11 happened and "Oh yeah, aliens are bullshit and real terrorists are coming to kill us all."

Also a lot of those conspiracies have pretty racist roots which is very hard for some to ignore now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s interesting about the X-Files is that it basically has no politics. Mulder isn’t imagining a better world or trying to change anything. He’s constantly exposing the crimes of his parents’ generation, but he doesn’t really mind the world those crimes created. The smoking man’s main argument when disagreeing with Mulder about all his evil poo poo is that it’s all necessary to preserve America as it is, and Mulder doesn’t dispute that America should continue to exist as it is.

The show has the trappings of counterculture and hippie/post-Nixon distrust of the government, but politics is a settled question. The only world that could ever exist is the world that does exist, and it will go on forever so long as Mulder can prevent the alien invasion.

It’s interesting how even back then that residual countercultural distrust of government was dovetailing with far-right ideas. Black helicopters were part of Linda Moulton Howe alien abduction lore and Randy Weaver militia poo poo. Conspiracism is inherently reactionary, maybe.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

Also a lot of those conspiracies have pretty racist roots which is very hard for some to ignore now.

There's two sides to that now. It's hard for some to ignore because that's a bad thing and hard for others to ignore because the fuckers are basically celebrating that while bitching about being "cancelled."

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I AM GRANDO posted:

Conspiracism is inherently reactionary, maybe.

It is *definitely* reactionary. The key to understanding why is to understand the kind of thinking that goes into the ideas.

Reading released government documents about MK Ultra or the CIA introducing crack into black communities and assuming they may still be doing evil poo poo isn't really "conspiratorial thinking" because you are starting with facts and drawing your conclusions from there. Conspiracy theories on the other hand tend to do the opposite and start from a conclusion and bring in facts after the fact (while ignoring evidence to the contrary). This kind of thinking is VERY popular in conservative circles because these ideas often build narratives that reinforce existing power structures or justify certain policies or political actions. QAnon/Pizzagate, for example, is popular because it legitimizes violence against Democrats

This is why conspiratorial thinking is so hard to break people out of. They either want the end goal so badly that they will buy into anything to justify it, or they don't believe the idea at all and are just cynically using it for political ends which makes arguing pointless.

Fake edit: This is also why antisemetism keeps coming up despite it being so thoroughly despised and debunked. It's like an ideological skeleton key that let's you ignore/inflict violence on every left wing advocate/idea as part of a Jewish plot while also giving you an enemy that's both scary enough to rally around yet also weak enough to bully and dominate. It's VERY useful if you're the kind of person who'd gladly let ten million orphans get thrown into a wood chipper if it means you won't have to pay another nickel in taxes to prevent it.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 19, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Conspiracy theories are also these bizarre compilations of absolutely wild poo poo that on the surface look like a fascinating thing to explore just like it is to explore mythology or the lore of your favorite fiction franchises.

It's just that these conspiracy theories aren't conceived of as fun little fictions, they are what people passionately end up burning their whole lives on as they push away everybody else around them, and it's always going to be deeply sad and unsettling at the core.

Dawgstar posted:

I feel like it's less that the roots are racist/anti-semetic, and more that all these wacko conspiracy theories end up draining out into a grand uniting sewer of racism/anti-semetism. These things can start easily as just a few weird incidents to theorize about, or one guy's personal mental illness, but as time goes on and the conspiracy theorists maintain their paranoia about all the people lying to them, they pretty easily slide into that sort of reactionary counterculture and meet up with all the racists who they just have to shift their conspiracy theories a little bit to suddenly be on the same page with. And of course, there's also the natural aspect of people growing more conservative with age. A big part of the Trump years was the apparent mobilization of a lot of these sewer-dwellers into Qanon.

Some people may want to clarify the existence of conspiracy theories in different political wings and ideologies, and while it's true that not everything always melts into the same sewer, it's sure easy for a lot of these weird people who have pushed themselves to exist on the outskirts of society to end up meeting eachother and find common ground, which can often not be for the best. That's part of the whole deal with horseshoe theory.

There can be true roots to all sides of these things. The CIA really did pull a lot of poo poo, and there really were a bunch of Russian-sponsored communist infiltrators knocking about the US. Things are often less severe than most conspiracy theorists believe though. Just because you're crazy it doesn't mean you're not right, just because you're right it doesn't mean you're not crazy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is the kids show discussion thread

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

The 90s were basically the rise of anime in America (yes I know it was around before but it's when Toonami started really bringing it to the masses) which is responsible for a lot of trends we see in western animation today, from styles to character designs to plot inspiration.

... to occasional cameos. Recent case in point from Moon Girl:

:goonsay: Naruto is only technically 90s insofar as the manga came out in 99, but the anime (which is how it really took off) started in 2002. :goonsay:

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
naruto isn't 90's at all but it's dbz with ninjas so that's its connection to the 90's

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mystes posted:

This is the kids show discussion thread

To be fair the conspiracy theory talk does have some relevance as quite a few kids shows are oriented around them(and even ones that aren't will often have an episode or two pivot in that direction)

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Another huge aspect of 90s culture is the mass adoption of the family computer and the Internet (and all the many many instructional VHSs on use and safety).

And Napster.

:filez: expanded access to art in quantities, variety, convenience and affordability (free) never before imagined. That had a huge impact on a young generation that could, without getting a job or saving up their allowance, explore and experiment and seek out the media of their choosing.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i feel like you could draw a line between 9/11 and all the kid's spy stuff that came out in the mid 2000s (Spy Kids, Kim Possible, Secret Agent Cody Banks, Aaron Stone, etc.)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
don't forget kid's next door, an extremely paranoid universe where all adults are out to get you along with an existential ticking clock.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Neeksy posted:

don't forget kid's next door, an extremely paranoid universe where all adults are out to get you along with an existential ticking clock.

I like kids next door, its a shame they never got to do the kinds next door IN SPACE!!!

I dont have cable anymore does Cartoon network having anything fun?

I just feel like it peaked with adventure time and regular show.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Junpei posted:

i feel like you could draw a line between 9/11 and all the kid's spy stuff that came out in the mid 2000s (Spy Kids, Kim Possible, Secret Agent Cody Banks, Aaron Stone, etc.)

Probably not, considering several major artifacts of that era (Spy Kids, the first Alex Rider book) actually predate 9/11. If anything, I'd chalk it up to the resurgence in popularity of James Bond in the '90s, with Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, and The World is Not Enough all coming out been 1995 and 1999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
CN ended up riding the Teen Titans GO train pretty hard once streaming took off, so there was less emphasis on nurturing talent.

Post-AT you had We Bare Bears, Steven Universe, and Gumball

Maybe Rick and Morty count.

Ups_rail posted:

I like kids next door, its a shame they never got to do the kinds next door IN SPACE!!!
They had a moon base. Whole episodes take place on it!