Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And that's it. Thanks for reading! Solver's over, on to the next story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Good on ya Glen.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Nether Edge is a suburb of Sheffield. It’s a great place to live, work, and start a boy band.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That is literally the scene from Scott Pilgrim where Knives sees the band rehearse.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I never thought I'd say this, but you can at least say this for Scott Pilgrim's musical career: he did in fact own a musical instrument and seemed interested in playing it well.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Rand Brittain posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but you can at least say this for Scott Pilgrim's musical career: he did in fact own a musical instrument and seemed interested in playing it well.

playing an instrument is easier than dancing, especially for the british

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TDepressionEarl posted:

playing an instrument is easier than dancing, especially for the british

This is fair. American and Korean boybands do flashy choreo. British and Irish ones sit on stools.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Go-Kart Conspiracy was Lottie’s high school band with Claire, Blossom Cooper and Shauna Wickle. If you want to imagine what they were like, think “chaotic but catchy”.

I must add that D-Slide’s name is short for “landslide” – somehow this fact was omitted from both parts of this story. The LAN is silent, yeah?

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 15, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I keep forgetting the schedule changes when there's only three or four strips left of any story. So there's two pages just above.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I can't tell if Solver will read better in print or all at once but I've noticed more and more that the pacing of Allison's stuff is meandering at best. Storylines start, then just sort of wander around a bit before trailing off.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Solver is not good and I wish he’d do more Steeple instead.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Bimmi posted:

Solver is not good and I wish he’d do more Steeple instead.

You're wrong on the first part, but the good news is that we are getting a new Steeple story by the end of next month or so.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
You can’t convince me that any of the stories being told in Solvers (and I use the term “stories” generously here) needed to be told. It’s been an aimless bore from the get-go, and Lottie as the main character just isn’t working for me.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Bimmi posted:

You can’t convince me that any of the stories being told in Solvers (and I use the term “stories” generously here) needed to be told. It’s been an aimless bore from the get-go, and Lottie as the main character just isn’t working for me.

I agree, Lottie isn't an especially good main character. But if this is setting up a Little Claire story with Lottie relegated to the background, it'll help redeem "Solvers"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Bimmi posted:

They're not even stories, things just happen until they don't.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, that was Giant Days too. It's slice of life, the premise of detective/'solving' is basically a loose excuse.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Solver isn't bad in that I like the setting, the set-up could work and I like the characters(since I already did) but it is definitely Allison's weakest stories yet. It feels like he can't bear to let Charlotte go but he also doesn't have anything in mind for her. As I recall she was driven away from detective work, her natural love and drive, so she is now... detective adjacent? But without any long term(or even mid term) set up and pay off aside from the same characters are facing non-problems(even for Bobbinsverse) occasionally.

It's like when Allison wrote that Batman crossover story and ended it abruptly in the first act. Solver feels like a series of little mini-stories doing that.

It's nice to keep seeing the Bad Machinery crew and all(especially Shauna after a forever and a half) but that's all we've done, visited some old friends. People are enjoying Steeple more since it seems to be building to something, I know I am.

And Allison certainly makes it a pain in the rear end to do so but if I could check up on it I remember that even old Scary Go Round would have narrative lines and payoffs you could follow.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 20, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, that was Giant Days too. It's slice of life, the premise of detective/'solving' is basically a loose excuse.

Giant Days has through-lines and plotlines in a way that Solver lacks, though like I said, I'm interested to see how it reads in one go.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Claire isn’t all that interesting either. Glermn shows some promise but we still don’t really know what his deal is, and he’s been maddeningly passive up ‘til just this point. I’m struggling to find a reason to care what happens to any of them.

One thing I will say in its favor, the art continues to slap. That time-lapse mini golf page was lots of fun to look at.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm very much enjoying Lottie's first love and Claire's reaction to it. It's funny.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm enjoying Solver, but yeah she's not solving much and I'd like to see more solving.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Jackie Collins, the sister of Joan Collins off of “Dynasty”, was the writer of some incredible books, all of which were about powerful ladies who were real “goers”. I read “Lady Boss” on holiday when I was much too young and it changed the course of my life. Made me the man I am today, I reckon. There was a great doc about her, still on iPlayer in the UK and Netflix in the US, I believe. An excellent watch.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Dean Thompson isn’t just a man of letters, he’s a man of combat, as we see here. Not an effective one, but spirited nontheless.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Does the bootleg merch stand still manifest outside music gigs? A good place to get a hoodie or tshirt where the sleeves fall off and the motif disintegrates on first wash. I’ve not been to a show at a university venue for years and those are where they seemed to have the most “purchase”.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Porcupine Tree are two Irish brothers who make up for their limited musical ability with pots of enthusiasm. Jedward are a respected prog rock act of long standing. Wait, did I get that the right way round? Only one of these acts is great mates with Enya. Whichever one you think it is… it’s the other one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

“The Waterman” has never appeared in a comic but is mentioned in Steeple issue 4 (“Witchfest”, seen below).
PLUS: Bonus points to anyone who can identify the origin of Phil Oakey’s outfit on this page.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Now available for consideration: a five page preview from The Great British Bump Off.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
It seemed for a while that Allison did not really know what to do with post-Blossom-Cooper Shauna Wickle

I guess "drifted away to a new friend group at sixth form" is both realistic and also not very great for Allison's style of storytelling

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I don't particularly remember anything about Shauna being into cooking, but I'd like to see where she ends up.

Dean got a date

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Dean got a date

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010