Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

thanks carter

PookBear fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Carter has been President Emeritus longer than I've been alive, and I already feel older than Bilbo Baggins.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Carter has been President Emeritus longer than I've been alive, and I already feel older than Bilbo Baggins.

It's funny, if we'd been in the middle of ww1 now he would've been president during the civil war.

~The 70s Star Wars was half a century ago~ :shepface:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 19, 2023

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

PookBear posted:

thanks carter

Yeah that was brutal. I don’t think the Dems recovered from this until like ‘92.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's reductive, sure. But when it comes down it, he raised money for a charity to build houses after prioritizing tax cuts while he was president. He put his time into negotiating peace as a private citizen after sending weapons to right wing militias on multiple continents when he was in charge of US foreign policy.

I just think we should take it with a grain of salt when someone tries to whitewash their actions when they were actually in power with charitable work after the fact. The Obama Foundation does good work too, but it doesn't excuse him murdering hundreds of children with drones. Some things you can't come back from.

How is current Latin American instability directly his fault?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

How is current Latin American instability directly his fault?

He authorized intervention that funded and armed rebel groups in Nicaragua because the US was not friendly with the government that took power there.

He's not solely responsible by any means (Reagan was a lot more enthusiastic about US involvement, among others), but there's a direct line of causality between US Cold War shenanigans in Central America and the current political problems there today.

1979 Times article on the decision:
https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP99-00498R000100170025-9.pdf

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 19, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Putting the contras on Carter is a creative interpretation of that particular timeline. Large scale organized support of the Contras (and the unification of opposition groups to faciliate that) started in September of 1981.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
And let's not pretend that the CIA wasn't going to do whatever the hell it wanted down there, authorization or no.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lemniscate Blue posted:

And let's not pretend that the CIA wasn't going to do whatever the hell it wanted down there, authorization or no.

He still authorized it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

CainFortea posted:

He still authorized it.

Nah it was specifically Reagan who authorized the CIA effort to found and support the Contras. The above linked article is about the US changing its formal position wrt The Somoza Government and is very much not an authorization of a covert effort by the CIA to found, fund, train, and support covert action against a sandinista government that wasn't even in power yet.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Reagan was inaugurated in January 1981, note the dates in this document.

The truckload of American weapons just materialized out of thin air?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Putting in a lot of effort to push a Carter Bad narrative

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

These events don’t seem too current and I’m having a hard time thinking of a president in living memory that was as overall a better person than Carter as low as a bar as that may be.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Reagan was inaugurated in January 1981, note the dates in this document.

The truckload of American weapons just materialized out of thin air?

That doesn't seem inconsistent with a massive ramp up of support as soon as Reagan took office, which is consistent with the currently understood timeline of the conflict. It's certainly not the first or last time that plans have been ready to go pending a change in administration, eg Trump admin greenlighting the Raid on Yakla in Yemen as one of the very first things he did in office.

If there's evidence that Carter was a big backer of CIA efforts in Nicaragua I am all ears if you have anything concrete, I just have not seen anything suggesting that previously.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

lightpole posted:

Putting in a lot of effort to push a Carter Bad narrative

Lotta effort in the whole "Carter never did anything wrong" version of history.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CainFortea posted:

"Carter Bad" and "Carter never did anything wrong" are two different things.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Carter was one of the better Presidents we've had. He seems like a good man who got put above his pay grade, and did the best he could with what he had.

I'll admit I'm not terribly well read on him or his administration. I'll also admit that the soldier part of me has a bit of undying admiration from an interview he did. He was asked if he could change anything from his Presidency, what would have been.
"I would have sent one more helicopter." In reference to Eagle Claw. I've never seen any writing to support it, but from what it looks like from my limited studies, the loss at Desert One and the Failure of Eagle Claw broke him as a man, understandably.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

lightpole posted:

"Carter Bad" and "Carter never did anything wrong" are two different things.

Yes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

That’s like the lowest bar imaginable though.

You can believe that as a man, Carter has devoted a huge part of his life to active volunteering and charity work and that’s laudable.

You can also believe, in the same thought, that he was a lackluster president who squandered opportunities to achieve Democratic policy goals and undertook some really nasty actions on behalf of capitalism and anti-communism.

It’s ok to feel both things at the same time. Humans are complex and so can your opinions of them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

CainFortea posted:

thankfully zero people are arguing 'carter never did anything wrong'

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

Carter was one of the better Presidents we've had. He seems like a good man who got put above his pay grade, and did the best he could with what he had.

I'll admit I'm not terribly well read on him or his administration. I'll also admit that the soldier part of me has a bit of undying admiration from an interview he did. He was asked if he could change anything from his Presidency, what would have been.
"I would have sent one more helicopter." In reference to Eagle Claw. I've never seen any writing to support it, but from what it looks like from my limited studies, the loss at Desert One and the Failure of Eagle Claw broke him as a man, understandably.

It absolutely cost him the presidency. There was a lot of "not another Vietnam" there and in Central America so his capacity for response was limited by that.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Carter made americans feel bad about being a bunch of whiney selfish shits so he only got one term. He was one of the only modern presidents to act based on his morals and convictions and demonstrates that you get the leaders you deserve.

Nobody thinks he's perfect or a saint - hes just one of the best of a small set of people.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Reagan ripping the solar panels off the white house really was a portent of the future

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

He was one of the only modern presidents to act based on his morals and convictions and demonstrates that you get the leaders you deserve.

Plenty of modern presidents acted on their morals and convictions, like Nixon and Dubya and Reagan.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Plenty of modern presidents acted on their immoral convictions, like Nixon and Dubya and Reagan.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:hmmyes:

Yeah that's more like it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yes, that is the point I'm making. Personal morals and convictions can and often do result in people doing horrendously bad things.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
gently caress, Richard Belzer died.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

It absolutely cost him the presidency. There was a lot of "not another Vietnam" there and in Central America so his capacity for response was limited by that.

I honestly don't see how Eagle Claw ever would've worked.

The books I've read about it, including the book about Task Force Orange / ISA The Killer Elite, make me feel like it would've been worse than Mogadishu and could've been a massacre. I just dont see how a bunch of Rangers and Delta guys could hold off hundreds of armed bad guys with zero air support overhead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

The books I've read about it, including the book about Task Force Orange / ISA The Killer Elite, make me feel like it would've been worse than Mogadishu and could've been a massacre. I just dont see how a bunch of Rangers and Delta guys could hold off hundreds of armed bad guys with zero air support overhead.

I suspect it would've lead to outright war with Iran.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Carter made americans feel bad about being a bunch of whiney selfish shits so he only got one term. He was one of the only modern presidents to act based on his morals and convictions and demonstrates that you get the leaders you deserve.

Nobody thinks he's perfect or a saint - hes just one of the best of a small set of people.

The above is more or less what I've been taught / what I've gathered over the years. The Malaise Speech was perfectly rational, but exactly incorrect to an American audience. Throw in the Iranian Hostage Crisis (lol that hostages were released on Day One of Reagan) and early 80s Americans simply weren't going to vote for the weakling moralizer that made them feel feelings. Americans are bigly strongly positive people and go gently caress yourself if you think otherwise (history rhymes).

rip munch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belzer_v._Bollea

Edit: https://twitter.com/pblest/status/1627396499016413189

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 19, 2023

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Bored As gently caress posted:

My hot take is that even if Eagle Claw somehow worked out and Carter was able to get most if not all of the hostages out of Iran, he'd have still lost in 1980. Maybe not as much as he did in reality, but I think the economy is really what did him in. Iran and deteriorating relations with the Soviets/Olympics boycott was just the icing on the cake.

Sucks but then found out this about him today,

quote:

Belzer has been a regular guest on the right-wing radio show of Alex Jones and appeared on the episode covering the Boston Marathon bombing, in which he referred to the bombing as a false flag event.[15]

gently caress him for that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Handsome Ralph posted:

gently caress him for that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Another case of don't meet your heroes.

Although its ironic given his Law and Order character was also whacked out paranoid like that.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Plenty of modern presidents acted on their morals and convictions, like Nixon and Dubya and Reagan.

No those three were absolutely cynics who simply used the language of morality to rationalize their harmful actions that were based on economic incentives. Well, maybe Dubya was doing what he thought was right, but he was surrounded by the most insanely cynical administration in modern history so it's difficult to say

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

George Miller, edit: NOT the writer and director of the Mad Max series but a different guy with the same name, died a few days ago. On the other end of the scale, Tom Sizemore is in the hospital with an aneurysm.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 19, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Midjack posted:

George Miller, the writer and director of the Mad Max series, died a few days ago. On the other end of the scale, Tom Sizemore is in the hospital with an aneurysm.

Wrong George Miller. You're thinking of the one who directed Neverending Story part II, George T. Miller.

Unfortunately it seems wikipedia is a bit confused because there were two Australian movie directors named George Miller.

https://movieweb.com/george-t-miller-dies/

quote:

For all of you Mad Max fans out there, don't worry; it's not that George Miller. Sadly, George T. Miller, another Australian director, passed away at the age of 79. He had suffered a heart attack in Melbourne, Australia.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 19, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

orange juche posted:

Wrong George Miller. You're thinking of the one who directed Neverending Story part II, George T. Miller.

Unfortunately it seems wikipedia is a bit confused because there were two Australian movie directors named George Miller.

https://movieweb.com/george-t-miller-dies/

Thanks for the correction!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Another case of don't meet your heroes.

Although its ironic given his Law and Order character was also whacked out paranoid like that.

That Character started long before SVU. He appeared on Homicide as the same exact character, and on a bunch of other shows as the sane character but unnamed. I think he appeared on X Files as Munch, too.

He also got a concussion and stitches from Hulk Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Midjack posted:

Thanks for the correction!

Lmao I can't imagine the amount of people who are confused just like that and thinking Dr. George Miller died (he is a doctor too lol)