Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oh for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well High School Family got cancelled.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

muscles like this! posted:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo it was such a good gag manga :(

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

booooooo. Gomez is the best.

edit: it does make sense, unfortunately I guess...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shame.

It's a good manga. Would have liked to see it keep going long enough to get through three years of high school.

Don't get me wrong, considering sales it really stuck around, but having loving Ichigoki stick around while High School Family is gone is going to be painful for the next couple of months.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HSF got about 100 more chapters than I thought it would, but still really bummed about this!!!

I will say that right now the manga i catch up on full stop every release and don't leave any back chapters included HSF!! Chainsaw Man, Sakamoto Days, Akanebanashi, Jujutsu Kaisen, Dandadan, and HSF. The rest kind of fall into and out of my interest.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 17, 2023

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Good list imo.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Welp, there goes the secret best gag manga in Jump's lineup. :smith:

It had a good run, and the author was really good at putting together a flow to the gags and a build-up to a punchline that I don't think Roboco, Ichigoki or even Witch Watch ever got close to.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

well poo poo :(

EDIT: Looks like it's getting additional extra chapters in the final volumes, so hopefully it'll be able to wrap things up neatly enough

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1625805964342398978

Shinji2015 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 17, 2023

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Just when the volleyball team was finally going to Nationals.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mashle: That fiend has no respect for creampuffs.
Now what nonsense is Mash going to pull. :allears:

Roboco: got a good laugh out of me. Especially I need to prove rapid fire works!

Undead: Still going strong. I love getting more info on under and its members. Weird that Creed was on the opposing side. Didn’t expect that.

Fabricant: I…didn’t really like Ashigi’s speech. Reason being it felt a little…errr too far progressed I guess? It’s a little hard to gauge exactly where Ashigi is on his feelings regarding 100. He keeps saying he thinks x, but we keep seeing y. I feel like we could use a little extra insight into him like we had at the end.
But other than that a fine chapter. I wonder what they’re planning.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Fabricant 100: It feels like we’re supposed to see the leader of Mortsafe as ruthless for letting Roxy die, but…in the first place, this was really more bad luck than the results of a decision (if, e.g., Asibi hadn’t been scratched, 100 would have taken out the Fabricant without Roxy dying), and in the second place, what would they have done if Roxy survived, just let her go even though she murdered a bunch of people? I guess we don’t know much about this setting’s criminal justice system and the relationship between Mortsafe and the official authorities; could they have handed her over to the police, and if so, would she have been executed?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fabricant is already feeling like it's being placed under the axe

or maybe i'm still just paranoid from ayashimon

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Lol Sakamoto. Handrail was loose, thus it was a weapon

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/kumarprime/status/1627134571392438272?t=XjT_9V9LvZeOJXunXcKK-w&s=19

I haven't read it but apparently the translation is loving hard

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is a manga about codes and cyphers that regularly uses quirks of Japanese language and writing. I wouldn't be surprised if they ultimately drop the English translation if it becomes too difficult for a series with a limited appeal.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

It is a manga about codes and cyphers that regularly uses quirks of Japanese language and writing. I wouldn't be surprised if they ultimately drop the English translation if it becomes too difficult for a series with a limited appeal.

It's a good manga, though! It's interesting to have a series where it's genuinely unclear which characters are trustworthy, and where the main character is a well-meaning guy in over his head rather than being particularly innately special.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Can't say I'd feel entirely sore for missing that series (or, and I admit this is a me thing, anything Nisioisen spends double the page count any sane man would take to say), myself.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 19, 2023

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Man, I really like Cipher Academy :( not my favorite series or anything, but it's got interesting characters and a unique setup, there's really nothing else like it in the magazine.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

goodbye high school family your service was not unappreciated o7

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do wonder if the new family introduced in the final chapter was where the manga was heading since the Ietani family had a shelf life.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

This is the sort of thing that would require a small compendium of translator notes.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Silver2195 posted:

It's a good manga, though! It's interesting to have a series where it's genuinely unclear which characters are trustworthy, and where the main character is a well-meaning guy in over his head rather than being particularly innately special.

Yeah, I like it too, but my eyes just glaze over any info dumps the series has because of how dense they are.

Honestly I think the issue is probably the weekly release schedule, that's probably hell on any translator who has a bunch of other series to work on at the same time. Might be better just to release it in volumes and give translators time to work on it.

I do wonder if the new family introduced in the final chapter was where the manga was heading since the Ietani family had a shelf life.

Possibly, yeah. Also gives the mangaka some room to revisit that world in the future if SJ or another publisher is willing.

Witch Watch: wow, a Halloween chapter in February

Ichigoki's Under Control: time skip already, series isn't long for the world

Jiangshi X: Please, if there's anything remotely interesting planned, I am begging the mangaka to start it now. Even a series like Ichigoki is at least trying

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Since Witch Watch is now at the end of October I assume that the big warlock fight is hitting in chapter 100. Also with all the stuff about the Warlock switch being discussed I wonder if we're going to see Nico bringing someone back (shown with the gem switching from black to white.)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

whether it gets cancelled or not, I'm glad fabricant 100 seems to be sticking to its guns on the fabricants so far

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Lol at Tsuyoshi chapter 25

That counterattack was amazing

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
No way is Fabricant 100 getting cancelled now. Even with High School Family gone, it still has 4 other series below it in the rankings.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Seems it's not getting western-canceled, a different translator is picking it up instead.

https://twitter.com/kumarprime/status/1627452547098378241?t=9H5mYiknDDB9ePJkePdFgA&s=19

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fabricant 100 has gotten my interest. Hope it’s not cancelled.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Fabricated posted:

This is the sort of thing that would require a small compendium of translator notes.

This doesn’t have anything on Medaka Box

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Reiche posted:

Medaka Box was also written by Nisio Isin :ssh:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

goodbye high school family your service was not unappreciated o7

At least I was able to confirm that the weird ghost thing shows up in chapter 1 as well. Presumably, we'd get a bit more of it if we'd been able to get a full third year for the manga.

Ah, well. It was a good run.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Manatee Cannon posted:

whether it gets cancelled or not, I'm glad fabricant 100 seems to be sticking to its guns on the fabricants so far
This tbh. It's by far the most interesting part of the story

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Reiche posted:

Medaka was just a lot of text, this is text that relies on specific and esoteric rules.
That panel, for example, has the rule that the speaker can only use half of the syllabary (the more difficult half, in fact). So to translate faithfully you'd need to rewrite it so every line a) maintains meaning and b) does not use, say, A, E, T, N, S or somesuch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I assume the exact rules of the wordplay don't matter too much, so just sub in something else equally contrived.

"First three arcs of dragon ball z, but as an acrostic."

Dead Raditz and Goku; Only Namek's Balls Are Live. Lethal Zygote.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The exact rules of the wordplay don’t particularly matter, but the questions being asked and answered matter a lot.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Make the Exorcist fall in love: Glad Beelzebub is finally dead and he got disrespected in the end which is great. Interesting what sugar witch is planning since originally it was assumed he was colluding with the giant fly but apparently is working for Satan instead.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
MarriageToxin: Piichii has evolved into...Cubone!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Sindai posted:

MarriageToxin: Piichii has evolved into...Cubone!

This chapter proves that having a girlfriend is very powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Silver2195 posted:

The exact rules of the wordplay don’t particularly matter, but the questions being asked and answered matter a lot.

Yeah we got a lot of info about our protagonist.