Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Professor Shark posted:

I found out today that the local garage did some stupid improper stuff to my car

“They did improper stuff to my car” makes it sound like they sexually assaulted it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Edit: Sexual assault jokes probably aren’t smart

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Edit: Sexual assault jokes probably aren’t smart

Some people hope for a big dick but turn into one instead.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

'00 CR-V B1S1 issue

Irritatingly, the problem has resolved itself. I'm thinking the connector is flaky. What's even worse is there's another connector down there somewhere that if it gets nudged into the wrong position will backfeed current into the engine harness and keep the goddamn thing running even after I turn off the ignition. God bless 23 year old cars.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 17, 2023

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Professor Shark posted:

I found out today that the local garage did some stupid improper stuff to my car that has resulted in my new mechanic telling me to start looking for a new car. I’m really frustrated because I like this car and planned on driving it for a few more months, however I have to start my minivan buying early.

My wife is flexible on the AWD and stow-and-go seating, so I’m wondering what the all around best and/or best value minivan is. I saw a few that had fold down third row to add more cargo space, which was a nice feature.

There's a car buying thread over here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&pagenumber=803#lastpost

Best/Best Value is subjective. Depending on budget, Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, Chrysler Pacifica are my recommendations in that order.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cool, thanks for
Link

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Professor Shark posted:

I found out today that the local garage did some stupid improper stuff to my car that has resulted in my new mechanic telling me to start looking for a new car.

Uh, what did they do??

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

hi ai. there is one fuse in the interior fusebox that, when pulled, totally disables keyfob access and the electronic locks. it also locks up the ignition, even with a key and disables the trunk lock. I suspect some of the local malfeasance types got hackrf ones in their stockings last christmas. I would like to replace that one fuse with a fuse extender so I can easily pull and replace the fuse. two questions, is there a better way to do this, and if not, what are good types or brands or whatever for fuse extenders?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

hi ai. there is one fuse in the interior fusebox that, when pulled, totally disables keyfob access and the electronic locks. it also locks up the ignition, even with a key and disables the trunk lock. I suspect some of the local malfeasance types got hackrf ones in their stockings last christmas. I would like to replace that one fuse with a fuse extender so I can easily pull and replace the fuse. two questions, is there a better way to do this, and if not, what are good types or brands or whatever for fuse extenders?

Can you not just keep your car locked?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I am keeping my car locked and I would like it to remain locked against tweakers or nazis or teenagers who have poo poo like this:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...id=ia7cjrwMwtdB

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I am keeping my car locked and I would like it to remain locked against tweakers or nazis or teenagers who have poo poo like this:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...id=ia7cjrwMwtdB

Keep your fob in a Faraday cage or a metal bowl to block the signal.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah just put your key in a cookie tin and you're good.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That thing doesn't get you around an immobilizer, which would still protect your car from getting stolen. It's not the work of a moment to bypass the immobilizer in modern cars.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Deteriorata posted:

Keep your fob in a Faraday cage or a metal bowl to block the signal.

it's not a problem of someone lifting signals from the transponder, it's a problem of someone sending bogus signals to the rf receiver in the car and opening the doors. it seems to me that this problem is easily fixed with an extension running to the fusebox and maybe a switch if I feel like getting fancy. I'm by no means a car enthusiast though so I figured this might be a thing which has been addressed by other people in other ways. putting my keyfob in a faraday cage isn't a viable solution though

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

it's not a problem of someone lifting signals from the transponder, it's a problem of someone sending bogus signals to the rf receiver in the car and opening the doors. it seems to me that this problem is easily fixed with an extension running to the fusebox and maybe a switch if I feel like getting fancy. I'm by no means a car enthusiast though so I figured this might be a thing which has been addressed by other people in other ways. putting my keyfob in a faraday cage isn't a viable solution though

Question: if you pull the fuse on the door locks, how are you going to lock the doors?

Edit: followup question: if your goal is to defend against well-heeled teenagers poking through the change in your cup holder, how will pulling the fuse defend against this? https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Spring-Loaded-Automatic-Adjustable-Replacement/dp/B0714JYF2Y

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 17, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's not a problem I've ever heard discussed anywhere. No one seems to think this is something that needs solving.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Safety Dance posted:

Question: if you pull the fuse on the door locks, how are you going to lock the doors?

Edit: followup question: if your goal is to defend against well-heeled teenagers poking through the change in your cup holder, how will pulling the fuse defend against this? https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Spring-Loaded-Automatic-Adjustable-Replacement/dp/B0714JYF2Y

I'll double and triple check, but the key still worked whereas the keyfob and the push button on the door did not. if your battery dies and you can't pop the hood to get to your battery because you can't open the car door, that would be some bullshit.

you're right about physical security, but if someone wants to break into my car, I would like for them to at least put some work into it

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'll double and triple check, but the key still worked whereas the keyfob and the push button on the door did not. if your battery dies and you can't pop the hood to get to your battery because you can't open the car door, that would be some bullshit.

you're right about physical security, but if someone wants to break into my car, I would like for them to at least put some work into it

If this has happened to you and your key fob isn't working anymore, go out of range of the car and spam the unlock button a bunch, then return to the car and press it a few times. These use something called "rolling codes" which you can google around to learn about but basically there's an agreed upon list of codes that the car and fob are programmed to, once a code is used the car and the fob both advance to looking for/sending the next code. If your fob is sending 'the wrong' code it won't do anything, but eventually IIRC with enough failed signals the fob will reset to the top of the list of codes and the car will as well (or something?).

There isn't a downloadable set of codes for like "2009-2014 honda civic" online that people can use to get into your car that way. I have the device that could do this and there's a lot of published codes around for stuff like common garage door codes (non rolling) and that kind of thing but not for cars, just doesn't work that way.

I'm sure someone else in here knows a lot more about this than I do but yeah teens aren't going around with that kind of tech unless you live in the world of Johnny Mnemonic in which case goddamn let me in dude

e2: Question for the thread. I was doing wheel bearings + brakes on a 2013 Jetta recently (family member) and the rotors are insanely seized to the hub/bearing assy. I was slamming the rotor with a hammer (piece of wood in between) and wasn't getting anywhere. Is there a tool like a bearing puller or something that you can use to conquer these things? I don't want to bring the car to a shop for a brake job I can easily do otherwise. On my own car I've applied a bit of antiseize to the mating surfaces to prevent this (yes I know the rotor is a braking surface and I don't use enough for it to spread to the rotor).

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 18, 2023

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

key fob has desynced 3 times over the past 2 months. battery is newish, tested yesterday at 2.8 volts. has never desynced while I was at work, or home, or the store, only when I'm parked in remote parks. thought it was the buttons getting hammered while I hike, but the 8 hours a day of work 5 days a week would do the same thing. wiki suggests improperly installed nearby satellites as a possible cause. I don't think the kefob's are all that secure, I don't think $200 is a huge investment, the gear's clearly not all that uncommon and I don't think all that expensive, and I would not put rf fuckery out of the range of possibilities for any of the local shitheads

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I've never used one, but OEM Tools 25106 looks like it would do it. Personally I think you just need a bigger hammer :clint:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

VelociBacon posted:

If this has happened to you and your key fob isn't working anymore, go out of range of the car and spam the unlock button a bunch, then return to the car and press it a few times. These use something called "rolling codes" which you can google around to learn about but basically there's an agreed upon list of codes that the car and fob are programmed to, once a code is used the car and the fob both advance to looking for/sending the next code. If your fob is sending 'the wrong' code it won't do anything, but eventually IIRC with enough failed signals the fob will reset to the top of the list of codes and the car will as well (or something?).

There isn't a downloadable set of codes for like "2009-2014 honda civic" online that people can use to get into your car that way. I have the device that could do this and there's a lot of published codes around for stuff like common garage door codes (non rolling) and that kind of thing but not for cars, just doesn't work that way.

I'm sure someone else in here knows a lot more about this than I do but yeah teens aren't going around with that kind of tech unless you live in the world of Johnny Mnemonic in which case goddamn let me in dude

e2: Question for the thread. I was doing wheel bearings + brakes on a 2013 Jetta recently (family member) and the rotors are insanely seized to the hub/bearing assy. I was slamming the rotor with a hammer (piece of wood in between) and wasn't getting anywhere. Is there a tool like a bearing puller or something that you can use to conquer these things? I don't want to bring the car to a shop for a brake job I can easily do otherwise. On my own car I've applied a bit of antiseize to the mating surfaces to prevent this (yes I know the rotor is a braking surface and I don't use enough for it to spread to the rotor).

Most rotors have a small threaded hole. You thread the appropriate sized bolt in said hole and turn.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 18, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't really get why teens or tweakers would bother with tech over the Mk. 1 Rock if they wanna get in to your car

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't really get why teens or tweakers would bother with tech over the Mk. 1 Rock if they wanna get in to your car

I also think cars being broken into isn't happening as much now that everyone isn't driving around with aftermarket DIN decks that can be stolen and resold/flipped easily at pawn shops etc. These days the money is in whatever can be grabbed from the coin tray (except nobody uses coins now) or if someone is stupid enough to leave a valuable item in plain sight.

In 2023 people looking for money so they can buy meth are going to cut your catalytic converter out.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
So unless I'm mistaken, the big 3 American car manufacturers basically don't make ICE passenger cars anymore. It's just the Mustang and Corvette and then SUVs, right? How do they meet CAFE averages now? I thought that they all needed four-cylinder sedans on the books to average out the V8 cars and crossovers.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
speaking of american ICE passenger cars, i just bought a cadillac CT4. is there a GM thread where i can go to post about it? and don't say the bad car thread :mad:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Pitch posted:

So unless I'm mistaken, the big 3 American car manufacturers basically don't make ICE passenger cars anymore. It's just the Mustang and Corvette and then SUVs, right? How do they meet CAFE averages now? I thought that they all needed four-cylinder sedans on the books to average out the V8 cars and crossovers.

I work in the industry, on emissions components even, so I can try to answer any specific questions you have.

If you want all the details, pretty much look here: https://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2022-12/420r22029.pdf

The answer is, cars are a lot more efficient than you'd expect these days. For example, I was just browsing new publications and there will be a paper published in April (at SAE WCX) regarding the effectiveness of start/stop technology. Taken from the abstract, "The largest fuel economy improvement was 7.27% and 26.4% for the FTP [used for compliance] and NYCC [simulating city driving, where you'd expect the most benefit], respectively."

There's a fairly telling graph on page 23 (3.7) showing the improvement in vehicle weight vs. CO2 emissions and how they've improved over the last 40 years or so. Figure 3.10 is interesting also, showing the improvements in power vs CO2.

You can look at the various technologies OEMs use for fuel economy savings on page 47, Figure 4.2. It's actually a really interesting figure. Figure 4.26 on 79 is interesting also. Figure 5.9 on page 101 shows off-cycle improvements to efficiency.

The section on GHG compliance is section 5, starting page 83.

Finally, you'll probably want to look at page 109 and on, with figure 5.11 showing actual performance vs standard and the generation and usage of credits.

tl;dr: they're putting powerful 4-cylinders in bigger cars, using a bunch of technology like start/stop, and paying Tesla for the rest.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 18, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Beach Bum posted:

Irritatingly, the problem has resolved itself. I'm thinking the connector is flaky. What's even worse is there's another connector down there somewhere that if it gets nudged into the wrong position will backfeed current into the engine harness and keep the goddamn thing running even after I turn off the ignition. God bless 23 year old cars.

Have you replaced the mirror switch recently? :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I got a stupid idea while chilling on probation yesterday. Doing an engine swap on an old :ussr: car that my dad used to own. It came with a neat aircooled V4 rwd setup, but sadly had the service intervals of a motorcycle due to lovely materials and machining quality.

I thought dropping in a modern-ish FWD 3-cyl might work, but thankfully there's a cutaway photo online and it seems that the axles are way too forward for any FWD transmission to reach. Does anything non-exotic come to mind that could work?

Probably not something I'd actually do but it's now bothering me :D

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

mobby_6kl posted:

seems that the axles are way too forward for any FWD transmission to reach. Does anything non-exotic come to mind that could work?

take the rear seats out and you could scooch it right up to the axles

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

totalnewbie posted:

tl;dr: they're putting powerful 4-cylinders in bigger cars, using a bunch of technology like start/stop, and paying Tesla for the rest.
Thanks. I guess I didn't realize even regular-duty pickups have gotten so much more efficient in the last decade or two.

I tried chasing down the definitions given but something like a Ford F-250, with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs, seems to be outside of the "light truck" classification. Are they subject to different standards or just exempt? I wonder if there's been any effect on the average fleet fuel economy over the last ~20 years as consumers have started buying things just completely off the scale. I noticed the report also says diesel engines are sub-1% of production for light trucks and I feel like it's only a little bit hyperbolic to say that here in middle america the average passenger vehicle is a diesel Super Duty. That's just my gut feeling based on being annoyed by it in traffic, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

So I got a stupid idea while chilling on probation yesterday. Doing an engine swap on an old :ussr: car that my dad used to own. It came with a neat aircooled V4 rwd setup, but sadly had the service intervals of a motorcycle due to lovely materials and machining quality.

I thought dropping in a modern-ish FWD 3-cyl might work, but thankfully there's a cutaway photo online and it seems that the axles are way too forward for any FWD transmission to reach. Does anything non-exotic come to mind that could work?

Probably not something I'd actually do but it's now bothering me :D

Air cooled VW transmission?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Pitch posted:

Thanks. I guess I didn't realize even regular-duty pickups have gotten so much more efficient in the last decade or two.

I tried chasing down the definitions given but something like a Ford F-250, with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs, seems to be outside of the "light truck" classification. Are they subject to different standards or just exempt? I wonder if there's been any effect on the average fleet fuel economy over the last ~20 years as consumers have started buying things just completely off the scale. I noticed the report also says diesel engines are sub-1% of production for light trucks and I feel like it's only a little bit hyperbolic to say that here in middle america the average passenger vehicle is a diesel Super Duty. That's just my gut feeling based on being annoyed by it in traffic, though.

Correct, vehicles over 10000 GVWR are regulated under heavy duty engine requirements. They are certainly not exempt from regulation, but simply not counted in the typical CAFE fleet average that people talk about.

Heavy duty vehicles are treated a little differently, as it's typically the engine that is certified, not the whole vehicle, as the types of vehicles tend to vary greatly.

But when it comes to passenger vehicles, honestly, it's CARB requirements that are the most difficult for OEMs, as they are more stringent than federal regulations. It's a little complicated but you can see an overview here: https://dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_ca.php

OEMs basically design vehicles to fit in a certain bucket e.g. SULEV30 and then they do their fleet averages that way.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

STR posted:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DesperateDan posted:

take the rear seats out and you could scooch it right up to the axles
:hmmyes:
Maybe just moving the firewall a bit? Might be doable.

E: found someone who put a Subaru engine adapted to a VW transmission, and still had to hack up some of the car:

In the meantime found one on a dyno, 33hp at the wheels it's actually much worse than a 1l Daihatsu that MCM swapped recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTvYxW2bLhA

STR posted:

Air cooled VW transmission?
Would this be really an upgrade? probably

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 19, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Honda Goldwing engine/trans into a regular diff.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

STR posted:

You can't possibly be serious.

I'm tempted to open up my FSM and go over wiring diagrams right now but I want to go to bed and think about this potential madness for an hour before falling asleep instead.

Edit: I gather from PoC's post that this is a new inside joke I've missed since I've been on SA Vacay for like, years. Someone got a link?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powershift posted:

Honda Goldwing engine/trans into a regular diff.

This. I doubt the gold wing's "reverse gear" (running the starter motor backwards) would be any good, but you can't beat that combination of power, packaging and reliability.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Beach Bum posted:

You can't possibly be serious.

I'm tempted to open up my FSM and go over wiring diagrams right now but I want to go to bed and think about this potential madness for an hour before falling asleep instead.

Edit: I gather from PoC's post that this is a new inside joke I've missed since I've been on SA Vacay for like, years. Someone got a link?

PoC had a nearly identical issue on a Dodge Intrepid after replacing the mirror switch. :v: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812091

There's some impressive sleuthing by Adiabatic in there. Short version is, if anything electrical has been replaced recently, start by unplugging it. I had a similar issue on a Nissan Altima where the parking lights stayed on after replacing a window switch. No reason the window switch should have had constant power, but it did on one wire, and the replacement window switch was lighted (the OEM one wasn't).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 20, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

e2: Question for the thread. I was doing wheel bearings + brakes on a 2013 Jetta recently (family member) and the rotors are insanely seized to the hub/bearing assy. I was slamming the rotor with a hammer (piece of wood in between) and wasn't getting anywhere. Is there a tool like a bearing puller or something that you can use to conquer these things?

Why was they wood between the rotor and the hammer? Stop doing that and try again.

I use an air hammer and brapppppp it all around on each side of the studs and everywhere else on the face I can get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know Dodges? I want speed bleeders for my 2006 1500 4x4 crew cab 5.7. It has 5 lug hubs.

I think the OEM front bleeder is 5143401AA and the rear is... I am not sure

I think the front is 3/8-24, but I am not sure about the rear. There are too many options for this thing.