Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tehinternet posted:

I mean nothing wrong with an arc for budget building.

But considering the guy worked at Intel, I’m sure he’s targeting a little higher. Easy to take some of the discounted money from the CPU and apply it to something top notch from last gen/this gen depending on what the end goal is

Emp discount is typically ~50% off retail, but I haven't looked at GPUs at all.
SSDs also had a discount, but last time I built was during the nand price crash, so a big percentage off MSRP didn't lower the price below typical market rate :v:

I still have my engineering sample 3770k running on my Plex server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My ivy bridge beta unit is also a Plex (and a ton of other stuff) server as well. Also still my regular desktop PC that desperately needs upgrades.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
From the outside looking in, I figured Intel would just have a giant bin of random items for employees by the building exit. After finishing up work for the day, just grab a 6700k and a USB stick on the way out.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Yes, there are USB sticks laying around Intel sites. Strewn around the parking lots even. You just have to be brave enough.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beef posted:

Yes, there are USB sticks laying around Intel sites. Strewn around the parking lots even. You just have to be brave enough.
:haw:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Beef posted:

if you're cold, they're cold

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

From the outside looking in, I figured Intel would just have a giant bin of random items for employees by the building exit. After finishing up work for the day, just grab a 6700k and a USB stick on the way out.

Depends on the group. In post si val you’re surrounded by hardware…but a lot of it is pre launch stepping stuff. And they track the CPUs and memory so either the missing unit gets traced to you or some poor lab tech will get bitched out. I’ve known of a couple of people that got fired for hoarding and Ebaying memory and CPUs. Motherboards, in my group we had to use special boards with various debug and probe headers and extra long, not something you’d really want to use for personal use

They used to give my old group a free, tracked CPU for working on the project but they stopped doing that because they started penny pinching and it was “hard” for our program managers to set it up. I was at a dinner with our department head and asked why we hadn’t gotten any Skylake CPUs for working on the project. He agreed and turned to a PM and told him to look in to it and I was given a death stare back. And no CPU ever was offered

There are waste/toss out shelves in the lab. Good opportunity to find stuff, but it’s usually not cutting edge

Now spring cleaning? Great time to wander the building aisles. Especially where the marketing and customer facing folks. Good opportunity to find tossed out retail stuff. Unused Windows OEM licenses, retail Intel brand motherboards, memory, etc.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 19, 2023

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
"Are you telling me I cannot expense this 10bux cable adaptor?"

*sips from an Optane-branded Yeti cup*

vvvvv We never got nuffin tbh. They are closing the local demo depot and cleaning up shop. There are boxes of forgotten or old poo poo that they should have handed out years ago.

Beef fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 19, 2023

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Beef posted:

"Are you telling me I cannot expense this 10bux cable adaptor?"

*sips from an Optane-branded Yeti cup*

I never once received any Optane branded swag except for one time our FAE dropped a stack of misprinted polos onto a table by our lab entrance

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Depends on the group. In post si val you’re surrounded by hardware…but a lot of it is pre launch stepping stuff. And they track the CPUs and memory so either the missing unit gets traced to you or some poor lab tech will get bitched out. I’ve known of a couple of people that got fired for hoarding and Ebaying memory and CPUs. Motherboards, in my group we had to use special boards with various debug and probe headers and extra long, not something you’d really want to use for personal use

They used to give my old group a free, tracked CPU for working on the project but they stopped doing that because they started penny pinching and it was “hard” for our program managers to set it up. I was at a dinner with our department head and asked why we hadn’t gotten any Skylake CPUs for working on the project. He agreed and turned to a PM and told him to look in to it and I was given a death stare back. And no CPU ever was offered

There are waste/toss out shelves in the lab. Good opportunity to find stuff, but it’s usually not cutting edge

Now spring cleaning? Great time to wander the building aisles. Especially where the marketing and customer facing folks. Good opportunity to find tossed out retail stuff. Unused Windows OEM licenses, retail Intel brand motherboards, memory, etc.

First thing I’d do when I got a “beta unit” was pop it on a platform and characterize the poo poo out of it with our test content so I knew just exactly how far I could OC it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’m guessing no one clicked a blind link paste.

One employee murdered another in Octotillo on Saturday morning. Blunt force trauma is the official word. The rumor is more gruesome.

e: oh I guess they updated the article to mention it was a bat, knife, and hatchet

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 20, 2023

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

One employee murdered another in Octotillo on Saturday morning. Blunt force trauma is the official word. The rumor is more gruesome.

e: oh I guess they updated the article to mention it was a bat, knife, and hatchet

Yeah it's pretty distressing. That was my old building, and to my knowledge the first death on campus.

I can remember at least two pedestrian fatalities in Intel parking lots over the years. There was also a death in one of the manufacturing facilities last year :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not asking anyone to spill the beans on anything that they're not supposed to or don't want to, but in line with the current conversation: how do "engineering samples" end up on the grey market? if it's supposed to be against the rules, has leadership ever tried to crack down on it?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not asking anyone to spill the beans on anything that they're not supposed to or don't want to, but in line with the current conversation: how do "engineering samples" end up on the grey market? if it's supposed to be against the rules, has leadership ever tried to crack down on it?

Explicitly violating an agreement that they signed. It’s real dumb to sell these since they’re really loving trackable.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

People getting greedy and risking their well paying job to make a few thousand on the side. Not really unique to Intel.

When I started we just kept poo poo, unlabeled and untracked in a cabinet that the entire team has access to. Eventuality they started tracking the serial numbers and assigning them to people and doing occasional audits. But even before that, Intel had people surfing for eBay listings keeping an eye out for that stuff and coming down hard

There isn’t a ton of security in the buildings. No one checks bags coming in or out. There are cameras outside the lab doors but they couldn’t even catch people stealing monitors out of the lab. It’s a very enticing situation for some short sighted people

Also the free units they give out to employees are often ES and you sign a sheet saying it’s for home use only, that you can’t sell it, and Intel can ask you to return it at any time. I’ve never actually been asked to return one though. Still have an old rear end Conroe somewhere. I can see a situation where some units actually accidentally get lost

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 20, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:lol: I got a validation board with my Conroe, 400 debug ports and all. I think they were trying to reduce scrap or something. It was BTX so I couldn’t find a case for it. It sat on a piece of foam on my home desk til I got my next one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Aw BTX I remember being all keen about that and yet ATX never died

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Back at BlackBerry, there were people who went in the factory and just shoved dozens of units into bags, "for developers", no questions asked. A bunch ending up on ebay and furthermore on leak sites when people actually cared what BB was putting out.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I've heard of people in years past being able to smuggle out scrap wafers and framing them at home. Would be pretty tough to do nowadays though... think one of my friends made it out with a test wafer somehow but that's not nearly as cool to have.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not intel affiliated, but I always understood the bulk of the ES came from board partners and OEMs who needed hardware to validate against before the release date. Some of those chains are very long and even if intel knows where the leaks are it’s sometimes difficult to stop it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's funny that the Dear Customer Letters for the Intel PDKs spell out in stern terms that the development platforms must be returned to Intel. We called em up to return the Purley platforms and they said nah just toss em.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I honestly clicked/read the link; given it's AZ (and I live in north Phoenix), I'm honestly surprised it hadn't happened sooner in terms of a first death on the campus.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thank you for the responses :)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EoRaptor posted:

Not intel affiliated, but I always understood the bulk of the ES came from board partners and OEMs who needed hardware to validate against before the release date. Some of those chains are very long and even if intel knows where the leaks are it’s sometimes difficult to stop it.

I’ve come to believe that a good majority of leaks that hit the tech blogs come from the leaky OEM/partners chain

Except for Oregon Live. They just have pissed off locals giving them direct info

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: I got a validation board with my Conroe, 400 debug ports and all. I think they were trying to reduce scrap or something. It was BTX so I couldn’t find a case for it. It sat on a piece of foam on my home desk til I got my next one.

I got a pre production ICH 8 board that I was allowed to use. But since it was pre prod, the PATA didn’t work on it. Which really sucked because this was when SATA optical drives were rare as poo poo and those PATA-SATA adapters didn’t play nice with ATAPI

Funnily enough we used those same boards for dev systems. But to get them fully working we desoldered the SPI from a real production board, cloned it, and reflashed all the boards with the same image. Except we forgot about the MAC address and one day some freaked out and panicked IT guy came into our aisle to figure out what the hell was going on

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
I have a 13700K and a 4070 on a Asus Z790 Prime-P, which comes with 3x M.2.

Will any part of this combination slow down if I fill up all the M.2 ports, with some Gen3 and some Gen4 disks? PCI lanes are Voodoo to me (pun intended)

edit: Can I judge whether I'm good just by observation? i.e. when I put load on my GPU the dynamic PCIe display in GPU-Z goes up to x16 4.0 16 GT/s, even if I copy 100 GB from disk to disk while doing this. Does this mean I can rule out any problems?

busfahrer fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 20, 2023

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

busfahrer posted:

Will any part of this combination slow down if I fill up all the M.2 ports, with some Gen3 and some Gen4 disks? PCI lanes are Voodoo to me (pun intended)

edit: Can I judge whether I'm good just by observation? i.e. when I put load on my GPU the dynamic PCIe display in GPU-Z goes up to x16 4.0 16 GT/s, even if I copy 100 GB from disk to disk while doing this. Does this mean I can rule out any problems?

Sometimes m.2 slots will "borrow" lanes from elsewhere on the board, but it's quite rare for those lanes to come from the GPU. Usually in that case, one of the other slots will become unusable and/or you'll lose a couple SATA ports. In the rare case where a m.2 slot is borrowing from the GPU, you'll hopefully have some idea about that going in, and the GPU will drop to x8 bandwidth.

Since your GPU is showing x16 in GPU-Z, you've already confirmed it's fine. Your motherboard manual will typically also contain information of any potential pitfalls of this sort, though Asus notably sucks at presenting it in any kind of clear manner.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

busfahrer posted:

I've got that mobo and cpu as well. Seems like you can just shove m.2 in there and have them run at full speed. I tried all 3 m.2s with SSDs and they all ran full bandwidth.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The motherboard manual will always tell you when there's lane sharing. If it doesn't mention that using some m.2 slots disables some other slots elsewhere on the board, then that means you can do whatever you want without loving with anything else.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's almost always M.2 disables SATA, I can't imagine it would take GPU lanes unless it was a specialized board.

Also, doesn't that board have a PCIE 5.0x16 GPU and separate PCIE 4.0, which is what the M.2s are running off? That's another layer that your GPU is safe.

Finally, I don't think there would even be a noticeable difference in PCI 5 between x8 and x16 for a 4070, or if there is it's extremely small.

Many reasons not to worry.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the recent trend on AMD boards is that some pcie slots will eat a M.2 nvme port. which is crazy since X670E is supposed to have a shitload of chipset lanes available??? like you have a whole second daisychained chipset for the purposes of getting more expansion right? and it's not all going to sata lanes and other useless poo poo either, a lot of boards are down to like 4 or 6 SATA ports now.

but yeah particularly M.2 SATA will often eat a physical SATA port and sometimes using M.2 NVMe will eat a cluster of SATA ports since that chipset IO port is what's driving both things.

I am just very perplexed as to what's going on with AMD and the -E daisychain chipsets because there should be an abundance of IO available. Most boards are down to 2 PCIe Graphics slots (PEG) and maybe have one chipset slot that is fed from the same chipset IO port as a m.2 slot, SATA ports are way down too. Where is all the IO going? It clearly seems like the second chipset is mostly unused and only exists so that AMD can sell more chipsets... oh how the turntables.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

It clearly seems like the second chipset is mostly unused and only exists so that AMD can sell more chipsets... oh how the turntables.

the funniest example of this is the ASUS mini-ITX X670 board where the second chipset they crammed in only services a single M.2 slot

those chipsets run off x4 PCIe lanes, and an m.2 slot is x4 PCIe lanes, so the chipset is just acting as an extremely expensive passthrough

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I really want the insider story behind the X670 because it has to be silly. It has to be some bizarre positioning between marketing and partners. Maybe something weird with a PCIe 5 chipset not being available so x670(e) is a stopgap to fulfill a promise for a high/mid tier offering?

The thing is if you look at a block diagram zen4 would appear to not necessarily need a chipset at all. From the CPU alone you have:
4x 10Gbps USB
28x PCIe 5.0 lanes
1x USB 2.0

In principle that seems close to a reasonable ITX board.

AMD talk is acceptable in this thread because everyone at Intel is applying for jobs there, right? ;)

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Second supplier chat

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

repiv posted:

the funniest example of this is the ASUS mini-ITX X670 board where the second chipset they crammed in only services a single M.2 slot

those chipsets run off x4 PCIe lanes, and an m.2 slot is x4 PCIe lanes, so the chipset is just acting as an extremely expensive passthrough

I don't buy that, ASUS designers aren't dumb enough to throw an entire B650 chip on that daughtercard just for that. If you absolutely need to do something for signal integrity on that daughtercard (you probably don't, at these distances), you can buy far cheaper repeater chips.

My guess is that they're passing some of the I/O expansion provided by a B650 back to the main board through that edge connector.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ASUS designers aren't dumb... which is why they did it. People want the "BEST" which is X670, even if it all it really adds this time around is more USB/M.2 with a shared backhaul to the CPU. You can't put X670 on the box without the second chipset, but there really is no point or space for it on ITX. So you put it on a little vertical card and wire it up just to the last M.2. Prob solved.

The connections (or lack there of), along with a lot of the pictures, came form here btw. The board is inanely overengineered, as per most ASUS ROG ITX offerings:

https://unikoshardware.com/2023/02/rog-strix-x670e-i-gaming-wifi.html

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think people figured out there's like one or two extra USB ports reliant on the extra chipset on that board too, but that's still a waste. The main reason is as Cygni says. Asus wants to be able to charge X670E money for that board, so this is their solution.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If Mini-ITX is too small, just bring back Mini-DTX

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Assepoester posted:

If Mini-ITX is too small, just bring back Mini-DTX

smdh, Intel put all that effort into getting x86 onto something phone sized and everyone still wants these big form factors

Just look at the SMARC form factor:

That’s a full Elkhart Lake pc! You can spin your own carrier board, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

hobbesmaster posted:

smdh, Intel put all that effort into getting x86 onto something phone sized and everyone still wants these big form factors

Just look at the SMARC form factor:

That’s a full Elkhart Lake pc! You can spin your own carrier board, right?
Has AMD ever made something that small?

I notice those really tiny cubes and hdmi stick computers are all Intel