Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think I was far more invested in SmackDown with Edge at the top to pay any attention to Raw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why hasn't Jordynne Grace appeared on AEW yet?

If the reports are to be believed, her husband Jonathan Gresham had a falling out with Tony Khan over booking after the ROH purchase, so I imagine her doing appearances on AEW would be pretty awkward for all involved.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

D.N. Nation posted:

What's the general take on Triple H's face run around 2008? Seems weird that he was perched on top of the card that late in his career, having feuds with stiffs like Khali and Kozlov, going over everyone (even Cena), but was somehow face and people didn't mind it? (I was long checked out of wrestling at this point.)
I don't remember people thinking it was great but it was generally not as bad (on any level) as the Reign of Terror so there was less resistance to it.

Also for context in the "that late in his career", Triple H would have turned 40 shortly before Summerslam 2009, which by that point they were doing the (second) DX Reunion with him and Shawn.

His only world title run that took place at any point after he turned 40 was in the Mania season where he won it in the Rumble and dropped it to Roman. Obviously there are a million factors that determine what "should" happen to people's placement on cards, but if we write out everyone that is roughly 2007-8 HHH's age from the coming year's big matches, we're basically left with MJF, Austin Theory, Logan Paul, and the three youngest WWE main eventers Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns and Cody Rhodes.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

ah shoot, for some reason I thought he bounced around pre-WWF longer than he did. That and "stuff from 1996" and "stuff from 2000" are only 4 years apart but might as well be 40

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I mean everyone I know in real life had stopped watching by 2008 in no small part due to HHH, so the only people left liked him?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jordynn Grace telling Tony she's #6 on the PWI Women's 150 to get a spot.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Triple H as a face in 2006 - 2010 was worse than the Reign of Terror. He was just as invincible except this time you were expected to cheer for him. Commentary gushing over what a badass he was. No Mercy 2007 is one of the most tedious PPVs ever.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
my spouse remembers their brothers having three wrestling figures in the early 2000s: Stone Cold, The Rock, and a white guy with short brown hair, a beard, a white tank top, red cargo pants, and white boots

any ideas

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Is there a name for a five-way match? There’s triple threat, fatal four-way, six pack challenge… what’s a five-way called?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Those names are all Fed propaganda. It's called a five way match, or perhaps a five person match.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pentagon of Pain

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quintuple Quarrel

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

its a five way fuckfest

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No that’s one of cena’s signature moves

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

my spouse remembers their brothers having three wrestling figures in the early 2000s: Stone Cold, The Rock, and a white guy with short brown hair, a beard, a white tank top, red cargo pants, and white boots

any ideas

It’s Steve Williams, image search his figure, fits what you’re describing

Dr. Zoggle fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 20, 2023

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Kosmo Gallion posted:

No Mercy 2007 is one of the most tedious PPVs ever.

hot take: the LMS is a legitimately great match if and only if you watch it in the context of the two Triple H matches before it

I mean, they're all shite as individual matches, but in context they all built on each other really well and actually made the guy look like a great babyface, even if only for a night

can't say that about any other face Triple H match tho

anyway, sure, No Mercy 2007 is tedious af, but not for the Triple H bits

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Dr. Zoggle posted:

It’s Steve Williams, image search his figure, fits what you’re describing

you're True Doctor, Zoggle.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Venomous posted:

hot take: the LMS is a legitimately great match if and only if you watch it in the context of the two Triple H matches before it

I mean, they're all shite as individual matches, but in context they all built on each other really well and actually made the guy look like a great babyface, even if only for a night

can't say that about any other face Triple H match tho

anyway, sure, No Mercy 2007 is tedious af, but not for the Triple H bits

I disagree, Trips baits Orton into a title match and wins, then beats Umaga in a plodding nothing match. The LMS is the best match of the three, but it just serves to bury Orton as an unworthy champion. WWE should have been trying to make their new champ Orton look like a killer. Somehow he comes off looking worse than during his 2004 reign.

Did Trips ever have any great matches after his cage match with Flair in 2005? The only one I can think of his the Cell match against The Undertaker at WrestleMania.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The Stroker Ace posted:

Is there a name for a five-way match? There’s triple threat, fatal four-way, six pack challenge… what’s a five-way called?

hosed fucker five-way

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Did Trips ever have any great matches after his cage match with Flair in 2005? The only one I can think of his the Cell match against The Undertaker at WrestleMania.

I checked cagematch and the only other nominees are his other wrestlemania match with The Undertaker and his wrestlemania match with Daniel Bryan

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its honestly incredible how triple h has been coasting for the last 20+ years on a year and a half period where he was maybe the 8th or 9th best male wrestler in the world

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I disagree, Trips baits Orton into a title match and wins, then beats Umaga in a plodding nothing match. The LMS is the best match of the three, but it just serves to bury Orton as an unworthy champion. WWE should have been trying to make their new champ Orton look like a killer. Somehow he comes off looking worse than during his 2004 reign.

Moxley, the three way in 2008 with Edge and Jeff Hardy, a few others.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Remember when HHH wanted to be called "The Asskicker"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/wweuniverse/status/321075320008630273

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Haha more like #ASSLICKER (Vince’s)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Remember when hhh said of Benoit "he can be carried".

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr. Yuk posted:

If the reports are to be believed, her husband Jonathan Gresham had a falling out with Tony Khan over booking after the ROH purchase, so I imagine her doing appearances on AEW would be pretty awkward for all involved.

He was acting a grumpy little git when he dropped the belt to Claudio, or something like that, wasn't it?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Yeah, I think after the match he had a verbal altercation with Tony, then deleted all his social media and disappeared for a couple months.

I can get why he's frustrated. He's a great wrestler and was probably the face of ROH when Sinclair sold it. He got that title right at the end and only got to defend it on the indies until he had to drop it to Claudio at the first PPV back.

That said, if he'd kept his cool, he'd probably be on TV on a regular basis in AEW at this point.

Edit: Wait no, this was the second ROH PPV back, because the first one he wrestled Bandido because he was originally supposed take the title from bandido, but bandido got the vid and couldn't wrestle at that final battle so they hastily booked a match with Jay Lethal and said that whoever won was the champ.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 20, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nativity In Black posted:

Yeah, I think after the match he had a verbal altercation with Tony, then deleted all his social media and disappeared for a couple months.

I can get why he's frustrated. He's a great wrestler and was probably the face of ROH when Sinclair sold it. He got that title right at the end and only got to defend it on the indies until he had to drop it to Claudio at the first PPV back.

That said, if he'd kept his cool, he'd probably be on TV on a regular basis in AEW at this point.

Edit: Wait no, this was the second ROH PPV back, because the first one he wrestled Bandido because he was originally supposed take the title from bandido, but bandido got the vid and couldn't wrestle at that final battle so they hastily booked a match with Jay Lethal and said that whoever won was the champ.

And then did an angle setting up Gresham, Joe and Lee Moriarty vs Lethal, Sonjay and co... which was completely dropped.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What happened with Daniel Puder and the Kurt Angle situation? Was it supposed to be a shoot and Puder beat him? Or was it supposed to be a work and Puder shot on Angle?

And what was his short ROH like? He turned up acting tough because he'd been in WWE which drew massive heat from the ROH audience and beat dudes in under a minute. Was this supposed to lead to a big match with somebody?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The former. They decided to shoot on the Tough Enough trainees, because assaulting your coworkers during a show is normal in the WWE. Angle broke another guy's ribs before he went after Puder, and Puder defended himself. Angle got less than what he deserved and immediately bitched out like a bitchy little bitch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What happened with Daniel Puder and the Kurt Angle situation? Was it supposed to be a shoot and Puder beat him? Or was it supposed to be a work and Puder shot on Angle?

And what was his short ROH like? He turned up acting tough because he'd been in WWE which drew massive heat from the ROH audience and beat dudes in under a minute. Was this supposed to lead to a big match with somebody?

It was a shoot in the sense that they wanted to humiliate and humble the trainees. So they had them do a bunch of cardio to blow them up and then Angle was going to wreck them. But they didn't realize Puder could destroy Angle, and when he got him in that submission Angle was too insane to ever tap, so the ref was quick thinking enough to count a pin that wasn't there and save Angle.

The Puder thing was kind of fun heel stuff because of Sweeney. I think it was supposed to lead to a big match with Claudio but Cary needed to cut costs and Gabe's weird fly in projects were the first to go.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo I did not know that it was Angle shooting on Puder. I've seen that clip a ton of times and it was always framed (by WWE commentary talking heads) as Puder for reasons unknown trying to humiliate Angle.

that is loving funny

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Trying?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I dunno, they did a good job making it sound like "obviously Kurt would have won but since HE was trying to be a PROFESSIONAL and Daniel Puder TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THIS" so back then when I only ever heard that kind of surface-level analysis of it I totally thought Puder was a piece of poo poo rather than probably a hero

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah the WWE talking heads have always sold it as Puder being unprofessional and trying to show off when actually it’s their boy getting embarrassed trying to do some company sponsored hazing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's too bad Daniel puder didn't shoot on those two assholes chris benoit and hardcore holly (lesser kind), when they made him get hazed in the royal rumble

bartok
May 10, 2006

Who actually exposed Al Snow's penis? The story goes that Al Snow used to not wear underwear under his singlet and either HHH or Bob Holly either accidentally or as a rib exposed Snow's penis when holding him up for a vertical suplex. HHH claimed it was him during an appearance on Conan but I've also seen Bob Holly take credit for it during shoot interviews.

HHH on Conan talking about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3gNoRKKcHA

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Mick Foley also had the Penis Suplex story with Snow too. So, I guess everybody liked to prank Al Snow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Numero6 posted:

Mick Foley also had the Penis Suplex story with Snow too. So, I guess everybody liked to prank Al Snow?

In Mick's story it was Bob Holly, I'm pretty sure.