Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm sure there is a legal path. It's probably not a question that comes up very often and cops are morons.
The DMV people should know better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

What kind of janky-rear end state can't unequivocally define and communicate a legal path to training and motorcycle ownership? FFS that makes me genuinely mad.

Because in the land of freedumb, if you can afford it (or finance at 20%), you can ride.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Arkansas. The local DMV was equally confused.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Something like 20% of all motorcyclists in America don't have a motorcycle license/endorsement. That is why everyone is confused about what you're asking.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
What's the go with handlebar changes and suspension?

I just installed quite substantially higher bars on my MTS1100 to go with the quite substantially higher corbin saddle that came with it. It's a big back / up change, and I like the ergos fine now. Before the tall seat left the handlebars way too low. So that's nice.

But now the front end don't feel right.

I assume there's less weight on it, so does that mean ... less preload on the forks? Should I leave compression and rebound the same? They were dialled in pretty well before.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 15, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Are my tires hosed? I let my bike sit for ~3 months because I'm the worst. I last rode at the track so I'm not concerned with the blue color so much as how big the apparent contact patch was while it was sitting. I didn't pump the tires back up to normal pressures because it's always late at night and I'm tried when I get back, and assumed I would just do it in a couple days anyway. I'll probably park my bike on front/rear stands going forward. Tires are Q3+. It feels normal running my hand over it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

^^^ can't say I've ever seen that happen before so idk if you'll die or not. Probably not good though!

prukinski posted:

What's the go with handlebar changes and suspension?

I just installed quite substantially higher bars on my MTS1100 to go with the quite substantially higher corbin saddle that came with it. It's a big back / up change, and I like the ergos fine now. Before the tall seat left the handlebars way too low. So that's nice.

But now the front end don't feel right.

I assume there's less weight on it, so does that mean ... less preload on the forks? Should I leave compression and rebound the same? They were dialled in pretty well before.

You are now higher and further back, the bike will want to pitch more but you'll have less weight toward the front to start with. I'd reduce the preload slightly and leave the damping alone for now. Don't discount the possibility that it's an entirely psychological change though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quote is not edit!

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

^^^ can't say I've ever seen that happen before so idk if you'll die or not. Probably not good though!

You are now higher and further back, the bike will want to pitch more but you'll have less weight toward the front to start with. I'd reduce the preload slightly and leave the damping alone for now. Don't discount the possibility that it's an entirely psychological change though.

So it shall be. Thank you!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Instead of crushing all the blasts they should have sent them to MSF courses

not unless they were trying to make sure anyone who took an MSF class never wanted to ride again

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Something like 20% of all motorcyclists in America don't have a motorcycle license/endorsement. That is why everyone is confused about what you're asking.

I think this is a stat i saw on google, but I bet because of how they measured this, it's under reported.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 15, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The nz immigration form has a yes/no checkbox with a question to the effect of 'are you or have you ever been a member of a terrorist organization' and I picture American license checks working kind of the same way

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I have thoroughly investigated myself and I have discovered that I am not a license-shirking terrorist. *Adds photocopy of my terrorist license to immigration form* My motorcycle license is... in my other immigration form.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
This feels like a stupid question but, when realigning handlebars, should I be leaving the upper triple pinch bolts tight and loosening fasteners below, i.e. lower triple pinch bolts, fender bolts, fork axle pinch bolts and axle nut? Would I need to touch the steering stem bolt? If the upper triple bolts should be loosened, what’s the trick to keeping triples from sliding down the forks (or the forks from sliding out of the triples, if the bike was on a jack)?

The handlebar clamp has been loosened/tightened but the bars are still off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Leave the lower triples tight and loosen the top ones if it's just your bars that are twisted. Did you fall over or something?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Leave the lower triples tight and loosen the top ones if it's just your bars that are twisted. Did you fall over or something?

No, but the PO (or PPO) had a minor fall at some point. No visible damage to the case/tank/frame, but the left bar is higher than the right, and one of the stock pipes (which they graciously included) has a bit of rash. So maybe a little parking lot/driveway/stop sign drop on the right side. Maybe they replaced the brake lever/pedal (or maybe the bike used to have crash bars).

I’ll try just the upper parts first.

epswing fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 17, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Assuming your bars aren't actually bent, your forks are probably out of alignment. This fixed me right up when it happened to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSunBRB6-r8

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

opengl posted:

Assuming your bars aren't actually bent, your forks are probably out of alignment. This fixed me right up when it happened to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSunBRB6-r8

The only part of that tutorial that raises an eyebrow is loosening the steering stem bolt. I guess the stem connects the triples though. Yeah, I’ll be following that procedure if it’s my forks rather than just my bars, just wasn’t sure initially which triple clamp (upper or lower) I should be loosening.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd say it's a near certainty that nothing is misaligned and it's the bars themselves that are bent, it's a heavy bike with long floppy bars.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Sitting at the dealership waiting on my paperwork for a ruckus. After seeing the trail 125, I'm not sure I want to go that route just yet. I'll ride this little thing around for a while and judge from there if I want to get the motorcycle endorsement.

Thanks a ton for answering my dumb questions, folks! You really helped a lot.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Saw someone on one of those the other day, looked like they were having fun

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Well they're delivering it on Tuesday and my skid lid + gloves show up on Wednesday so I'll report back. Probably gonna be a gateway drug to a motorcycle but we'll see...

Recommendations for protective jackets that don't look dumb as hell? Everything seems to be moto bro to the max. Do they make normal guy looking jackets that'll help avoid sanding off most of my skin?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Nope your choices are moto-bro, stud slut or tough pool player, in black or random color of availability. Shoulder, elbow and back armor are all good to have in a crash and you're likelier to find that in the moto-bro stuff. Ruckus speeds don't change that recommendation, my daughter's boyfriend just shattered his elbow getting off an e-bike at < 20mph earlier this month, a jacket with elbow armor would probably have saved him a surgery.

There's a good gear discussion thread here, one common thing to consider off the bat is what range of temperatures you'll be wearing it in:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938267

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Guess it's time to go full tom of Finland. Thanks for the link!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

Nope your choices are moto-bro, stud slut or tough pool player,

also space lord and neon grandpa

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

also space lord and neon grandpa

Blaze Banana, I believe, is the preferred nomenclature.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

knuthgrush posted:

Guess it's time to go full tom of Finland. Thanks for the link!

This is the correct choice.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

knuthgrush posted:

Well they're delivering it on Tuesday and my skid lid + gloves show up on Wednesday so I'll report back. Probably gonna be a gateway drug to a motorcycle but we'll see...

Recommendations for protective jackets that don't look dumb as hell? Everything seems to be moto bro to the max. Do they make normal guy looking jackets that'll help avoid sanding off most of my skin?

You can try looking into armored hoodies and riding shirts. They look sensible from a distance, but if they have any meaningful armor, it'll be noticeable.

Generally the less it looks like a moto jacket, the more you'll pay for it: https://britishmotorcyclegear.com/product/belstaff-trialmaster-pro-tourist-trophy/

And: https://www.belstaff.com/us/men/motorcycle?page=4

I actually have this jacket, which looks pretty inconspicuous, but it's been discontinued: https://poshmark.com/listing/Mens-ZARA-X-Revit-Mobility-Moto-Jacket-M-6370f01537d0dfa507934999

T Zero fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 19, 2023

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I started getting “real” gear before I ever decided to get a “real” motorcycle and I’ve never regretted it. You’re either better protected than the average scooter rider or you’re future-proofed for bigger, faster vehicles.

The only downside is the money spent. And even then, buying $300 on junk you wear for one season and then spend $1000 to buy much better stuff next year isn’t nearly as efficient as getting the best stuff you can afford/makes sense from jump.

My cheap 3/4 helmet and Sedici jacket are occasionally useful to grab when one of us is in the garage and wants to try out something we’ve done to one of the bikes, but they just hang there for about 362 days a year.

Most people will say helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, pants, in that order. Some debate there of course, but it’s important to remember that your hands and your head are often the first things to hit the ground.

I’m not an expert voice, but I was asking most of the same questions a few years ago. Listen to everything Slavvy says lol. Come take advantage of the newbie thread.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Awesome! Oddly I got the first two in that order and I'm setting aside cash for the third. This'll be an interesting journey. I'll go peruse that thread.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I really gotta update those OPs. A bunch of the imgur links died and I would probably no longer recommend an old Ninja 250 now that there's been a relative renaissance of good starter bikes in the 300cc range.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I might have time to replace my Sportster's clutch plates (before they grenade the basket/hub). I changed my primary fluid in October and put the bike away for winter a few weeks later. Can I drain my primary and keep/re-use the primary fluid? Or just always replace anytime I have the primary cover off?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I am gonna keep my Versys X 300 probably long term. Touching the suspension, local shop is going to put in stiffer springs up front. They recommended against a gold valve\cartridge emu, saying it can make the ride worse unless dialed in. Said spend the money on better tires, but stiffer springs totally worth it. Anyone have any thoughts on cartridge emulators?

They said they'd do it but it's like high cost low roi as far as getting it right.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That sounds backwards to me

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

That sounds backwards to me

Yeah? My understanding is the gold valve just goes in and it has a low speed and high speed oriface. The low speed makes it so like gradual front end pressure won't use as much suspension travel. High speed bumps it becomes quick to respond. Is there even adjustment?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stiffer springs will just make the ride harder all around. Cartridge emulators will make the front end stiff under slow, steady forces (e.g. braking) and compliant under fast, sharp forces (e.g. potholes), which is what you want. They were a massive upgrade on my Hawk GT.

No they aren't adjustable from the outside. They are adjustable internally by changing out the restrictor plates for ones with more or less holes, adjusting their internal spring tension, etc. This is a one-time configuration unless you're a world-class racer and you need to change your setup for every track. I got mine pre-configured for the bike and my weight.

I agree with Slavvy that I think your shop has it backwards. Maybe because they don't know how to set up cartridge emulators but stiff springs are easy and definitely make the front end feel harder and therefore better to their average dummy clientele.

They're right about tires though. Buy the best ones you can. Good tires noticeably improve feel, performance, and safety.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 24, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There is but it's limited, you're relying on the designer to get the numbers right. Luckily this is really easy cause you just get racetech ones.

Otoh just changing spring rates can make things worse because increasing spring rate also has the effect of virtually reducing rebound damping as there's more force trying to extend the fork when it's unloaded.

Really doing just one at a time is kind of half added and you should do them both at once or not really bother. Again just email racetech and tell them what you're trying to do and see if they can sell you springs and emulators that are matched together. If you really absolutely have to half rear end it I would start with emulators because they won't fundamentally change the balance of the bike the way springs will.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Thanks. No, I don't want to half rear end it. It's just I don't have a good setup to lift my bike to remove the forks and send them in, so I contacted a shop. Maybe I can ask them to send the forks off to racetech instead of doing it locally. They can charge me for storage and removing\installing the forks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Thanks. No, I don't want to half rear end it. It's just I don't have a good setup to lift my bike to remove the forks

Jack it up on the center stand (the cheap scissor jack in your car will do fine) and put some bricks under the engine.

Do you have to send the forks in anyway? I think when I did mine the only part that required some thinking was drilling out the old damping rod holes. I have a machine shop to work in but really all you need for that is a power drill and a vise and a rag.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: ^^^^^ You also need some way of taking them apart and putting them back together which is beyond some people, not unreasonably

Sagebrush posted:

Jack it up on the center stand (the cheap scissor jack in your car will do fine) and put some bricks under the engine.

Yeah I was gonna say the bike has a center stand, getting the forks out is super easy. You can even use blocks of wood or something.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 24, 2023